• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
My mum and dad, staunch flag-shagging royalists, are grumpy that their soaps and quizzes have been cancelled for rolling "he's still dead" news on every channel. Maybe the lack of Eastenders will turn them into republicans.

Isn't it quite common that the spouse follow shortly after when they are in this age and been together for such a long time? Rough times for Royalist in the UK either way :/
That's true for lifelong soulmates, but I'm not sure Liz and Phil had that kind of relationship.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Some spiteful takes here, but I don't know anything about him, so eh.
Too bad that he didn't reach 100.
The priceless racism of the Duke of Edinburgh

"Prince Philip's gaffes from decades on royal duty," the BBC headlines it. So the good Prince's astonishing utterances are not what they are, symptomatic of a deeply racist mind. They are just "gaffes" – unintentional and unfortunate remarks causing embarrassment, things he should not have said, and did not really mean, but unfortunately did say. That's why they are "gaffes".
Now let's look at some of these "attempts to lighten the mood":

"British women can't cook"

"Everybody was saying we must have more leisure. Now they are complaining they are unemployed" (during the 1981 recession).

"You are a woman, aren't you?" (in Kenya after accepting a small gift from a local woman).

"If you stay here much longer you'll all be slitty-eyed" (to a group of British students during a royal visit to China).

"You can't have been here that long, you haven't got pot belly" (to a Briton he met in Hungary).

"Aren't most of you descended from pirates?" (to a wealthy islander in the Cayman Islands).

"How do you keep the natives off the booze long enough to pass the test" (to a Scottish driving instructor).

"It looks as if it was put in by an Indian" (referring to an old-fashioned fuse box in a factory near Edinburgh).

"Still throwing spears?" (question put to an Aboriginal Australian during a visit).

"There's a lot of your family in tonight" (after looking at the name badge of businessman Atul Patel at a Palace reception for British Indians).

"The Philippines must be half-empty as you're all here running the NHS" (on meeting a Filipino nurse at Luton and Dunstable Hospital).
The kind of racism Prince Philip exudes is reminiscent of the very spirit of British and other European imperialism at its height. This is the way the British thought when they ruled India, the French when they ruled Algeria, the Italians when they conquered Libya, the Belgians when they owned Congo.

www.aljazeera.com

The priceless racism of the Duke of Edinburgh

Prince Philip has done the world an extraordinary service by exposing the racist hypocrisy of “Western civilisation”.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017

You wanna compare the life of a troubled person like DMX to a member of the Royal fucking family, a symbol of oppression for many people and then get mad people don't treat 2 individuals of totally different circumstances the same.

One grew up as fucking royalty and the other grew up beaten by his mother and her boyfriends so badly he lost teeth. Who roamed the streets and befriended dogs for comfort.

It isn't that I need to read more, its that you need to stop saying fucking dumb shit and use common sense. This is clown shit.

Oct 30, 2017
What the fuck are the BBC doing. Bbc4 off air and bbc1 and 2 completely taken over.
Its been bad enough on the radio all day with the dirge being played like we should all be in mourning or something, but this is fucking ridiculous.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
I love how some of the spiteful people in here are paying respects to DMX..... a quick search of DMX's history would show the double standards people in this forum have
Its not a competition, however if your going to hate on the passing of DofE for the various reason's stated in this thread, i don't see how you can not for DMX misdemeanours and the hurt he has caused his to his victims.

And by 'You' i mean the people i referred to previously, however im responding to you as you did to me.

This is now the official Wikipedia entry for "thread derail."

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
What the fuck are the BBC doing. Bbc4 off air and bbc1 and 2 completely taken over.
Its been bad enough on the radio all day with the dirge being played like we should all be in mourning or something, but this is fucking ridiculous.

I'm enjoying some of the C4 fuck it already jokes, but it's way over the top from the BBC.

fanboi

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
My mum and dad, staunch flag-shagging royalists, are grumpy that their soaps and quizzes have been cancelled for rolling "he's still dead" news on every channel. Maybe the lack of Eastenders will turn them into republicans.

That's true for lifelong soulmates, but I'm not sure Liz and Phil had that kind of relationship.

True, but might still be a huge loss due to just being together for so many years.

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
Can somebody explain how this and McDonald's Sprite, which is trending on Twitter are connected?
Not 100% sure but there was definitely a tiktok, possibly also twitter memes about mundane things that could kill Prince Phillip due to how dead he was looking irl. Stuff like drinking a sip of sprite, eating a salt and vinegar crisp etc

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017

Reflect more, dude. Your post, in one fell swoop, managed to...

1) problematize the very basic phenomenon of people mourning one death and not another

2) engage in some of the silliest whataboutism imaginable, comparing DMX and Prince Philip of all people

3) derail a thread about something specific, Prince Philip's death, toward a dumbass argument

...and for what? To make some ridiculous point about double standards?

reads your earlier post about how the Royal Institution should never fade away

oh ok nvm

Jeffolation

Oct 30, 2017
An ancient mummy died. Thoughts and prayers to the rest of ghouls and ghasts that make up the royal family

Grayonx

Banned
Oct 15, 2020
User banned (permanent): troll account
Wow, introduce a different opinion and your shouted at by the mob, it's entertaining to say the least

Anyway, RIP & God save the Queen

Oct 26, 2017
I'm enjoying some of the C4 fuck it already jokes, but it's way over the top from the BBC.

not had a licence in years so can't check, but C4's alternative mandate was always the best thing about it, think it was when Diana died and all the channels were taken over by misery, C4 played cartoons. Why kids should be subjected to the mass dirge along with everyone else is beyond me. imagine a lot of parents are gonna be pretty pleased to have netflix et al right now. the media and government shutdown is a proper piss take like it's bad now but this country is going to be unbearable once the queen snuffs it

anyway here's a tale of two cunts laughing about austerity ha ha ha there's no money he said after flying to Indonesia on their private jet

MoosGoMoo

Banned
Jan 27, 2021
RIP to the man. So close to the big 100.

Feel bad for Liz, been a shit few weeks for her to say the least.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
Damn close to 100. My great grandma died at 99.

Also I guess this confirms we don't have the fountain of youth, they aren't vampires or reptile people. So debunked all those conspiracies on his way out the door.

Dogstar

Oct 29, 2017

It's truly pathetic... The BBC are pathetic.

Over our evening meal we're going to watch a couple of 'Friday Night Dinners' and remember and celebrate the actor Paul Ritter, who passed away a few days ago... "Shit on it!"

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
I'm sure the next time a racist nonce croaks after spending a century in stolen luxury on account of his inbreeding, he'll get all the respect you think he deserves.

GurrenSwagann

Sep 20, 2018
I feel sorry for The Queen since she's lost her husband of 70+ years and I can't imagine that's nice for anyone to go through. I also feel sorry for the people who were looking forward to watching stuff on those TV channels today. That's about where my sympathy ends though...

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Media over here going absolutely crazy about this news story about a very old, very rich racist white man dying. Sorry if I don't weep. I'm sure the government who are secretly watching everything we do on the internet have noted my attitude. Brb gonna kiss the flag (which is what the government here want from us nowadays).