• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Punished

Jun 19, 2019
Never, never ever should the Royal institution in the UK fade away.

Its such a hugely historical and influential part of the UK, both good and bad has come of the Royal's, you can already see over the last 10 years the changes it has made to modernized and improve the institution and hopefully that will continue for another 100 years
I've found Nicholas Witchell's era account.

Wamapoke

Apr 11, 2018
Just read the BBC obituary. Amazing how even within the context of an obituary and a deferential press, how strong it comes across what a miserable prick he was.

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
RIP,

For anyone living to that age they have seen the world change, but for him in that position with so much of his life given to public service. What a life.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
To be fair that picture isn't Boris reacting, but i still can't listen to him waffling about anything even in sombre clothing.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Thanks for posting something like this. I'm not going to read anymore of this thread as it'll be full of hot takes from people who knew nothing about his life.

I'm expecting the press to turn up here in Windsor today, but just looking out the window there's nothing going on out of the ordinary at the castle.
I mean, his life was pretttty decent compared to a majority of the world's population. Not to mention the sheer racism the dude spouted in his 70 odd years of publicity for the crown. Granted, I'm Australian and believe the Royals are a ridiculous medieval societal structure that is only being kept alive thanks to the sheer impact on tourism. Plus the people in that life don't want to give up the cushy lifestyle.

His death is sad for those close to him, but outside of the diehard monarchy enthusiasts there are tons of people dying that are just as important to someone. No life is valued over another, and especially someone like Prince Phillip or really any monarchy that is placed above everyone because of medieval traditions. As Monty Python famously said, "strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government! Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!"

Last edited:

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
Philip seems like a mildly prominent old dude who has contributed very little of value to the world and has caused very little harm in the world (as a minority directly targeted by his "gaffes", I feel... basically nothing.) Had he never been born, the world would be barely different. Expressing any sort of strong view on the person is bizarre to me, except as a form of in-group signalling.
On the surface, that may be so, especially for those not in the UK. But he was part of an estate that, guess what, was perfectly willing to push for special treatment just to ram home the point that the Firm is above the rest of their subjects.
www.theguardian.com

Queen lobbied for changes to three more laws, documents reveal

Road safety, heritage and private land leasing were all subject of pressure from palace, records show

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017
Philip seems like a mildly prominent old dude who has contributed very little of value to the world and has caused very little harm in the world (as a minority directly targeted by his "gaffes", I feel... basically nothing.) Had he never been born, the world would be barely different. Expressing any sort of strong view on the person is bizarre to me, except as a form of in-group signalling.

The Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme was founded by Philip and encourages young people to engage in self improvement for the sake of learning new skills and having expereinces they will go on to treasure. The scheme has gone on to expand to 144 nations globally.

Prince Philip did bits for World Wild Fund, being President of WWF-UK, WWF-International, and President Emiritus of WWF-International. He founded Australia's first and best known environmental group: Australia Conservation Foundation.

The guy is the epitome of the british racist, and he's also had a huge impact on the world in the time he's been alive.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
The sycophancy and fawning over the Royal family in the UK really gets on my tits. I'm glad I don't watch broadcast TV any more, because wall to wall coverage of people excusing this racist/xenophobic turd would make me gag. They're not full on evil, some of them do charity work and take up causes that are important and having the clout of Royal involvement no doubt helped those causes immensely. That doesn't excuse the level of bigotry he displayed, despite the media's desperation to call them "gaffes" to soften the blow. Just like PewDiePie's charitable work doesn't shield him from shitty behaviour - no matter how many on YouTube wanted it to.
Someone like Phillip, in his privileged position, caused a lot of harm in encouraging such flagrant casual racism on the world stage.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017

Its such a hugely historical and influential part of the UK, both good and bad has come of the Royal's, you can already see over the last 10 years the changes it has made to modernized and improve the institution and hopefully that will continue for another 100 years

It's going so well, Harry decided to nope out to California.

Chairman Yang

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme was founded by Philip and encourages young people to engage in self improvement for the sake of learning new skills and having expereinces they will go on to treasure. The scheme has gone on to expand to 144 nations globally.

Prince Philip did bits for World Wild Fund, being President of WWF-UK, WWF-International, and President Emiritus of WWF-International. He founded Australia's first and best known environmental group: Australia Conservation Foundation.

The guy is the epitome of british elderly racist, and he's also had a huge impact on the world in the time he's been alive.
How much impact did he, personally, have, as opposed to whoever would have subbed into those positions? Was he an unusually effective leader? (Genuinely asking)

Inkvoterad

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honk if Philip's dead

giphy.gif

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I really haven't heard much of anything that this dude actually did in life other than some gaffes he did occasionally. But this is showing that the older generation of the royal family is beginning to phase out soooooo yeah.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Trump and Prince Phillip are the same, sure.
I didn't care a jot about Prince Phillip when he was alive, and I certainly don't care about him now he's dead, but he was not even remotely comparable to Trump.
They're both horribly racist and sexist peices of shit that by having a public voice have helped propagate those views within the masses. Yes Trump had power to do more but I don't see any reason that Phillip should be given any extra credit for not actually having the power to act more on his horrible views than he did.
"Pointing out peoples failures in life is fair game even after death." - seems to suggest you can continue to criticise him for being racist?
That's true but I don't see why we have to be polite about the fact an awful person is gone. Bear in mind the country did its damn best to get The Witch Is Dead to number 1 when Thatcher died.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Can we stop calling them "gaffes" please, let's not normalise racist remarks by acting like they are a cute mistake your grandad had made

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I really haven't heard much of anything that this dude actually did in life other than some gaffes he did occasionally. But this is showing that the older generation of the royal family is beginning to phase out soooooo yeah.
They weren't gaffs, they were racist comments.

Seriously, the fact we have people who tow the party line of defence and don't call it for what it is just blows my mind.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
How much impact did he, personally, have, as opposed to whoever would have subbed into those positions? Was he an unusually effective leader? (Genuinely asking)

That's half the trouble discussing the royals, some of it is their bargain for keeping their positions and privilege, and they have a huge team working for them that we pay for in the end anyway.

Deleted member 862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah but how dark is the baby

Razmos

Oct 28, 2017
That's half the trouble discussing the royals, some of it is their bargain for keeping their positions and privilege, and they have a huge team working for them that we pay for in the end anyway.
This was my thinking, the schemes he set up are personally attributed to him but isn't that kinda his "job" as minimal as it was? They talk about it like he used his power to do it out of the kindness of his heart

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017

Razmos

Oct 28, 2017
So how come he didn't get to be called king if he's married to the queen?
It was mentioned earlier in the thread but apparently the title of King or even King consort automatically means they have more power over the queen no matter what because shockingly its an old sexist tradition we are still following.

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017
It's hard to say. Philip was considered ahead of his time on the topic of conservation. People who have met him who I respect a great deal like Brian Cox have said that he was fiercely intelligent and curious, which I feel would match a conservation position quite well. He basically founded WWF and it's gone on to become the biggest organisation in the world.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
Is this slightly over the top?

My 16 month year old is watching Children's BBC and this is splashed across the screen.

You'd think a major international incident had happened if you walked in and saw that without knowing.

CA7987-C3-0-C9-F-4-FF4-A54-F-0267076371-B2.jpg

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019

My 16 month year old is watching Children's BBC and this is splashed across the screen.

You'd think a major international incident had happened if you walked in and saw that without knowing.

I imagine when the Queen dies they'll just straight up say it rather than trying to clickbait into watching?

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
This was my thinking, the schemes he set up are personally attributed to him but isn't that kinda his "job" as minimal as it was? They talk about it like he used his power to do it out of the kindness of his heart

From what I've read, he was 'heavily' involved, but I don't know what that consists of. Certainly, as a scheme, it's something I've heard very positive things about.

I did find this quote from him to be quite typical Philip though - via Guardian liveblog:

"He was closely involved in the organisation throughout and defended it against accusations that it was an award only for the middle-classes. In 2016 the scheme celebrated its 60th anniversary.

Despite his part in its success, Philip was always modest about his role. He once maintained that he "couldn't care less" whether the scheme was seen as an important part of his legacy.

"Legacy? ... It's got nothing to do with me. It's there for people to use. I couldn't care less," he barked.

He added: "It's relevant too because it's part of the process of growing up."

Calderc

Oct 25, 2017
The hand-wringing and pearl clutching in this thread is fucking nauseating, Jesus Christ.

Blent

Oct 26, 2017
East Midlands, England, UK

This is part of the protocol for BBC as the national public service broadcaster.

The death of the Queen's husband is a top level incident that has to be handled in a very particular way like this.

It doesn't matter whether most of us don't care - that's the BBC's job.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster

What practical purpose does this institution serve?

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Yeah but how dark is the baby

I mean, they didn't make her use the tradesman's entrance.

Bing got fucked up when a butterfly died, not sure how he would handle that.

NeonCarbon

Oct 28, 2017
TV gone a bit nuts, BBC1 and BBC2 cancelling all shows today. ITV and Channel 5 on the bandwagon too.
QVC have stopped completely lmao...

Channel 4 getting some hate on twitter.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
So how come he didn't get to be called king if he's married to the queen?
He could have been king consort, they didn't give him the title to not upstage the queen because most people would assume that the king is in charge not differentiating between who's regnant and who is consort.