• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
He was 99 and lived a privileged life. Not much more to say than that.

The dismissal of casual racism by some folks in this thread(and the media) is disconcerting.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
What the fuck at that staff communication? I've seen plenty of posts about how people will celebrate when Trump dies. How come when our racist kicks the bucket we have to suddenly be respectful? What the actual fuck. Love how its fine for you guys in the US to feel that way but we gotta keep zip at risk of being banned

Trump and Prince Phillip are the same, sure.

RedShift

Oct 27, 2017
Rest In Peace

Island cult? Prince Philip is evil? this thread is a gold mine of hot takes. I don't get it, if someone i dislike or don't care about dies, then I don't bother entering and posting in the thread.

Prince Philip may be controversial, but he is respected by many people and hardly come close to being as awful as people like Trump. If you dislike him, fair enough, but why feel the need to shit post? and then be surprised people take offence, it's embarrassing.

The island cult comment wasn't about Britain but I can see how that would be an easy mistake to make.

(There is an actual island cult that supposedly revered him)

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
BBC appear to have pulled their entire schedule today. Which seems OTT considering they have 3 TV channels they could move regular programming to perhaps BBC2?

Considering Philip apparantly isnt wanting a big state funeral perhaps less coverage would have suited him?

It's why we have a 24 hr news channel and a host of arse lickers on stand by, fuck me, what are they going to talk about that needs another channel.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
What the fuck at that staff communication? I've seen plenty of posts about how people will celebrate when Trump dies. How come when our racist kicks the bucket we have to suddenly be respectful? What the actual fuck. Love how its fine for you guys in the US to feel that way but we gotta keep zip at risk of being banned
I didn't care a jot about Prince Phillip when he was alive, and I certainly don't care about him now he's dead, but he was not even remotely comparable to Trump.

Oct 25, 2017
Rest In Peace

Island cult? Prince Philip is evil? this thread is a gold mine of hot takes. I don't get it, if someone i dislike or don't care about dies, then I don't bother entering and posting in the thread.

Prince Philip may be controversial, but he is respected by many people and hardly come close to being as awful as people like Trump. If you dislike him, fair enough, but why feel the need to shit post? and then be surprised people take offence, it's embarrassing.

He expressed a desire to kill people to lower the global population

Orbis

Oct 25, 2017
UK
"Pointing out peoples failures in life is fair game even after death." - seems to suggest you can continue to criticise him for being racist?

Chairman Yang

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rest In Peace

Island cult? Prince Philip is evil? this thread is a gold mine of hot takes. I don't get it, if someone i dislike or don't care about dies I don't bother entering and posting in the thread.

Philip seems like a mildly prominent old dude who has contributed very little of value to the world and has caused very little harm in the world (as a minority directly targeted by his "gaffes", I feel... basically nothing.) Had he never been born, the world would be barely different. Expressing any sort of strong view on the person is bizarre to me, except as a form of in-group signalling.

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
Never, never ever should the Royal institution in the UK fade away.

Its such a hugely historical and influential part of the UK, both good and bad has come of the Royal's, you can already see over the last 10 years the changes it has made to modernized and improve the institution and hopefully that will continue for another 100 years
Oh come off it

Wilson

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
BBC appear to have pulled their entire schedule today. Which seems OTT considering they have 3 TV channels they could move regular programming to perhaps BBC2?

Considering Philip apparantly isnt wanting a big state funeral perhaps less coverage would have suited him?

6Music off the air as well for this racist twat, fucking ridiculous.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
The BBC just got the perfect excuse to ignore the violence in North Ireland for the next month
Wji86b6.jpg

astro

Oct 25, 2017

Its such a hugely historical and influential part of the UK, both good and bad has come of the Royal's, you can already see over the last 10 years the changes it has made to modernized and improve the institution and hopefully that will continue for another 100 years
Honestly amazed at some of these comments...

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017

Ah fucking piss
It'll be like this all week

ace3skoot

Dec 3, 2018
Guess there is no point watching the news for the next 2 weeks, I wonder what shady shit the government will pass under the table now they don't have to worry about the limelight

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
Care to make a bet that they've reformed given their mealy-mouthed response to the Oprah interview? Or the protection from the questioning of Prince Andrew regarding his relationship with Epstein?

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Trump and Prince Phillip are the same, sure.

In the sense that they're both represent a big symptom of the systematic problems with each country they are, but on a actual personal level (which I think is what matters in the context of this thread), Obviously trump is one of the most vile people on the face of the planet though, and it's hard to imagine many are as bad as him.

finfinfin

The Fallen
Jul 26, 2018
Guess there is no point watching the news for the next 2 weeks, I wonder what shady shit the government will pass under the table now they don't have to worry about the limelight
It's the wrong time to talk about Northern Ireland. Let's focus on what really matters, blaming Meghan and Corbyn for this attack on the soul of our nation.

Limless

Jan 7, 2021
RIP in peace.
Frustrating the timing of this means the problems in Northern Ireland will likely be ignored. :/

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Philip seems like a mildly prominent old dude who has contributed very little of value to the world and has caused very little harm in the world (as a minority directly targeted by his "gaffes", I feel... basically nothing.) Had he never been born, the world would be barely different. Expressing any sort of strong view on the person is bizarre to me, except as a form of in-group signalling.
I'm anti-royal-family, and I can honestly say I've thought about Phillip maybe twice, total, in my entire life, but he did arguably do quite a bit for conservation. Probably cancelled out by his being an ornery, racist relic and offending people.

I'm with you in finding the strength of opinion this event musters up bizarre, anyway. I guess I'm anti-royal in a very lazy way, in that I'm hopefully the institution will eventually fade away, but I don't care enough to try and actively bring it down. So I don't feel anything about Phillip dying, any more than I felt about him being alive.

Simon21

Apr 25, 2018

361st post nails it.

collige

Oct 31, 2017

I think this may be a more appropriate video game avatar to go with this post

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah i can barely muster up any emotion either way about a guy who got to live to 100 in insane wealth dying

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn

There's a darker argument also that with us rallying around this questionable symbol is just more propaganda. I expect a bunch of "He is one of us/we are all in this tragedy together" when my mans might as well have been on mars as far as his connection and influence on worldly matters.