• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Damn, I hope the Queen is okay. I feel for her as I remember how it was when my grandpa passed after being with my grandma for 68 years. It's fucking devastasting, and usually doesn't bode well for the remaining spouse. I hope she can try to keep in good spirits after this.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully we might get an extra bank holiday for this for his funeral. Philip wasn't a very nice person at all so don't be too surprised at the people not wanting to mourn his death.

RIP anyway.

Zastava

Feb 19, 2018
London
He was a racist, sexist, homophobic piece of shit who lived in luxury off the taxpayer in his life and he continues to be these things now he is dead. I'm not going to celebrate because I just don't care enough but all these pearl clutching takes about ghoulish comments or lack of class can fuck right off. If you don't know why people don't give a fuck he's dead, here's a small sample of his cuntery:

There are a shitload more examples out there if you want more. He was not a good person but we owe him respect anyway because he went and died, like literally every other living thing ever to exist? Nah.

I mean look at that last example in the tweet about "you'll go slitty eyed if you stay here much longer" to British students in China. Haven't we just had a bunch of news and discussions here about anti-Asian racism and the damage it causes? But somehow all is forgotten and/or forgiven because the old racist had the grace to die?

Oct 25, 2017
People like to have their say and acknowledge a response.

"RIP" is one way to do it. The ongoing contest and one upmanship to see who can be most disgusted by the Royal Family's existence, to express pleasure about the death, or make jokes about disruption to TV they probably won't watch anyway, is another.

If folk want to do the latter then whatever. Just don't get the mump on if anyone calls you out on it for being a fucking ghoul.

I'm not even celebrating his death because I don't personally like to do that kind of thing, but celebrating the death of a bad person is not a ghoulish action.

16bits

Apr 26, 2019
This forum never disappoints.

I thought there was a guideline not to shitpost in a thread about a persons death, and on the very day they passed away.

my condolences to the queen, just imagine if your partner of 73 years has just died!

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, for me, "gaffe" would be something like introducing someone and getting their name wrong. Saying something shoddy must be from an Indian or warning Brits to leave China so they don't get "slit-eyes" is not a gaffe by any stretch.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My mum just texted me to say how sad it is. Dude was 99, privileged and racist. Why is it sad he died?

Public figure in most British people's lives for the last zillions of years, a common connecting cultural thread whether you're a fan or not, it makes people think about their own lives too and the years gone. And people can empathise on a basic human level that someone lost their husband after 70 years of marriage despite them being privileged and problematic. 99 percent of anyone who dies today will have some kind of view that would not fly with modern sensibilities.

He was an old racist goat and it's fine that you're not arsed if he died, I'm not exactly distraught a 99 year old man died either and am not looking forward to the media circus and the jingoism for people who don't comply. But the inability to even fathom why some people might feel differently is emblematic of modern day discourse.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Appreciate the official staff note. For what it's worth I'm not celebrating the man's death, but I won't be offering condolences either

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
This forum never disappoints.

I thought there was a guideline not to shitpost in a thread about a persons death, and on the very day they passed away.

my condolences to the queen, just imagine if your partner of 73 years has just died!

There's not dancing on someone's grave and then there's undue respect for undemocratic institutions and politics etc.

Deleted member 3196

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel sorry for people mourning their loved one, but he was an unpleasant man to put it politely. I won't be mourning or celebrating.

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017
I'm thankful to Philip for his role in founding the Duke of Edinburgh Award. My Gold Expedition was a really important soul-searching moment for me, and I'll treasure it for the rest of life.

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 week): inflammatory commentary
Some Era posters will really be like: "But he deserves some empathy you fucking ghoul", when Weinstein dies. I'm sure a heck of a lot of you shed a tear when Epstein killed himself, lmao.

Oct 27, 2017
User banned (2 weeks): Thread derail, attacking the community, inflammatory accusations
I'm not even celebrating his death because I don't personally like to do that kind of thing, but celebrating the death of a bad person is not a ghoulish action.

A lot of Era users consider themselves to be good stand up people. Pride flags, strong left wing views, posting on Era in support of progressive issues etc. Then make a complete show of themselves in threads like this over, and over, and over again.

Not as well natured and mannered as they like to think, and definitely don't like being called out on it.

Some of the posts in this thread are a disgusting embarrassment and at this point it is expected. Ghoulish is absolutely the right term.

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of Era users consider themselves to be good stand up people. Pride flags, strong left wing views, posting on Era in support of progressive issues etc. Then make a complete show of themselves in threads like this over, and over, and over again.

Not as well natured and mannered as they like to think, and definitely don't like being called out on it.

Some of the posts in this thread are a disgusting embarrassment and at this point it is expected. Ghoulish is absolutely the right term.

1. Posting on Era isn't a sign of being a good, stand-up person, it's a gaming forum
2. No strong left-wing views involve mourning a bad person
3. What do LGBT people have to do with this, why do you have to drag us into this?
4. Having good manners and being well-natured are not considered particularly leftist
5. You're talking a lot more about how bad it is that people celebrate the death of a bad person than the bad things Philip did, I just think your priorities are a little funny

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

Supporting pride and other civil rights movements actually has a point though, unlike pointless platitudes towards famous bigoted tax leeches.

finfinfin

The Fallen
Jul 26, 2018

I see no contradiction between pride flags and being happy at the deaths of evil people. It's not terribly polite, but oh well, I'm sure the spirit of decorum will go on.

Drawing that comparison, on the other hand, is pretty fucking ghoulish.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some Era posters will really be like: "But he deserves some empathy you fucking ghoul", when Weinstein dies. I'm sure a heck of a lot of you shed a tear when Epstein killed himself, lmao.

Being casually racist or sexist in a privileged position is not the same as being a serial rapist/child abuser, and there being a moment of reflection for the husband of a head of state is the not the same as mourning a disgraced Hollywood mogul or whatever the fuck epstein was. Unless you have evidence to the contrary then, let's make an effigy of him too.

A ridiculous take from all angles

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I see no contradiction between pride flags and being happy at the deaths of evil people. It's not terribly polite, but oh well, I'm sure the spirit of decorum will go on.

It's such a ridiculous thing to say too. Like, a lot of LGBT people were neither well-natured or polite while advocating for their civil rights, does that make them less leftist as a result?

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This.

Apparently the socially acceptable thing is to spout crappy condolences like "RIP" on the Internet where nobody genuinely affected will ever see it or care.

I don't understand why when a famous person dies we all have to suddenly show them respect which they might never have deserved, it makes no sense to me
I think it would be even more disrespectful to be hypocrite and say meaningless shit like RIP than staying ture to yourself and
your views and say that a person was a POS, even shortly after that person died.
Why should I lie to myself?

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
1. Posting on Era isn't a sign of being a good, stand-up person, it's a gaming forum
2. No strong left-wing views involve mourning a bad person
3. What do LGBT people have to do with this, why do you have to drag us into this?
4. Having good manners and being well-natured are not considered particularly leftist
5. You're talking a lot more about how bad it is that people celebrate the death of a bad person than the bad things Philip did, I just think your priorities are a little funny

Yeah, it's pretty weak.
This is a forum not a book of condolences, if people step over the line then the mods can deal with it.

Oct 27, 2017

Drawing that comparison, on the other hand, is pretty fucking ghoulish.

People like to outwardly display their belief in progressive values, whatever it is. LGBQT+ included.

I just don't know how some folk reconcile their support and belief in such values, then jump into threads like this to drop their hot take about great it is that someone is dead.

Timmm

Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK

DWALJD1WkAUQZZ5

IpKaiFung

Oct 27, 2017
Wales
Being casually racist in a privileged position is not the same as being a serial rapist/child abuser, and there being a moment of reflection for the husband of a head of state is the not the same as mourning a disgraced Hollywood mogul or whatever the fuck epstein was.

A ridiculous take from all angles

I believe you will find that the house of windsor's riches came from years of exploitation of people in the UK and abroad.

It's funny to see people get all hand ringy about a rich 99 year old white man, when thousands of people are dying in the UK because they can't afford food.

Zastava

Feb 19, 2018
London

I don't claim to be a wonderful person, but you know what I'm not? A pearl clutching arsehole who polices how other people feel about an extremely wealthy and privileged man who repeatedly insulted and denigrated them and everyone like them solely down to the colour of their skin or the shape of their "slitty" eyes.

Have a fucking word with yourself. You're not being a morally superior upstanding citizen right now, you're telling PoC to shut the fuck up and not be honest about how they feel about the death of a hateful piece of shit who looked down on them all his long miserable life.

finfinfin

The Fallen
Jul 26, 2018
People like to outwardly display their belief in progressive values, whatever it is. LGBQT+ included.

I just don't know how some folk reconcile their support and belief in such values, then jump into threads like this to drop their hot take about great it is that someone is dead.
What is wrong with you that you consider basic human rights equivalent to being decorous about a racist parasite who actively worked to harm the people subject to his wife? And did some good things on the side, too, a bit.