• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zweizer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Prince Laurent of Belgium said he did not see how King Leopold II could have harmed Congolese people because "he never went" to the Congo, which he personally owned for decades.

"He never went to Congo himself," Laurent, the younger brother of Belgium's King Philippe, said in an interview with Sudpresse.

"I do not see how he could have made people there suffer," he added. "You must know that there were many people that worked for Leopold II, and they were really abusive — but that does not mean that Leopold II was abusive."

"Just look at what King Leopold II did for Belgium and you will understand," he added, referring to Leopold's reputation as the 'Builder King' of Belgium for the numerous public works he ordered, many financed through the exploitation of Congo's people and resources.

This is a prime indicator of how Leopold II's actions have been whitewashed through the ages, by focusing solely on his infrastructure projects but not mentioning how they were funded.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
Laurent is a fucking idiot. He's the family clown.
This. Nobody takes him seriously, he's always been a moron. I mean look at this dumbass:

www.bbc.com

Prince Laurent: €46,000 blow for Belgium's 'cursed prince'

Prince Laurent defended his allowance as "the price of my life, which is largely behind me now".

The sanction was imposed after the prince attended a Chinese embassy reception last year without government permission, in full naval uniform. Lawmakers voted for a 15% cut to his €307,000 (£270,000; $378,000) annual allowance.

The move was suggested by Belgium's Prime Minister, Charles Michel. Laurant described the vote as "the trial of my life" and said it would "likely cause me serious prejudice" if MPs went against him.

"This allowance, the reduction of which is being discussed as a result of political or media currents, is the price of a life - the price of my life, which is largely behind me now," he wrote.

He has racked up several speeding fines, and his unofficial appearance at the Chinese event - held for the 90th anniversary of the Chinese army - was not the first of its kind.

He had previously been criticised for attending meetings in Libya when the late Muammar Gaddafi was still in power, and making an unsanctioned 2011 trip to the Democratic Republic of Congo, a former Belgian colony.

Oct 28, 2017
Ah yes we should listen to the guy who compared himself to Holocaust victims because he's so persecuted

Laurent said he feels that he has become a "punching bag" solely "because I'm the brother or son of a king. When this sort of thing happens, I think immediately about the Jews who were shot dead only because they were Jewish."

The prince — younger brother to Philippe, king of the Belgians – is the subject of criticism in parliament allegedly for submitting inaccurate reports of his work hours.

Fritz

Oct 26, 2017
That's actually a question I never asked myself before (because I'm not a huge idiot), but now I wonder which monster of history would be the most "innocent", if you applied the "only what they did with their own 2 hands counts" system.

I guess few actually ever got their hands dirty.

Deleted member 25600

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
after reading King Leopold's Ghost I think its safe to say he's one of history's greatest monsters. piss on his grave and all who prop him up as good.

OP
OP
Zweizer

Zweizer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wut, they'd be more than happy to wipe their hands of it lol

A couple of years ago I remember they absolutely wanted Brussels due to its economic significance, and because it's within the Flemish Brabant. Did that change?

Why is everyone always so quick to partition Belgium. Do you think that's what Belgians want?

That's what a majority of flemish want, as they consistently vote for NVA and VB.

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
A couple of years ago I remember they absolutely wanted Brussels due to its economic significance, and because it's within the Flemish Brabant. Did that change?

That's what a majority of flemish want, as they consistently vote for NVA and VB.
Belgium is a bit more than the Flemish, my friend.

iapetus

Oct 26, 2017
That's actually a question I never asked myself before (because I'm not a huge idiot), but now I wonder which monster of history would be the most "innocent", if you applied the "only what they did with their own 2 hands counts" system.

It's an easy win for Hitler. Didn't do any of the dirty work himself, plus one of the few things he did do with his own two hands was literally kill Hitler. Hard to beat that.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Royalty fuckers and their asshole licking lackeys are so out of touch I want to punch something.

Don't get me started on Spanish royalty...

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Sure, but with more than half of the population going further right and nationalistic with each election, you can't help if that's going to be the natural conclusion.
Politics come and go, it wasn't too long ago when Wallonia was in the driving seat. Countries don't split up on the regular.
I don't see the need for a federal level if you already have a strong regional government and an overarching European level. Also makes it less likely of having to wait a couple of years before you can form a government.
Switzerland manages quite well with a high level of devolution. Maybe look there for some inspiration.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London

Brussels is a net recipient of Flemish tax dollars IIRC so that def upsets them lol, the only reason they'd care is because unfortunately it's surrounded by Flanders. But the whole thing would be such a dumb clusterfuck if we tried to cut Brussels out of Flanders.
Switzerland manages quite well with a high level of devolution. Maybe look there for some inspiration.
Swiss system of automatically putting the largest parties into government is something we desperately need

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
It's an easy win for Hitler. Didn't do any of the dirty work himself, plus one of the few things he did do with his own two hands was literally kill Hitler. Hard to beat that.
I think we'd have to dig up what kind of crap he pulled before he rose to power. I mean, I think he fought in WW1, right? I just have a hard time believing that Adolf Hitler never got his hands dirty.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
True it's not just him, it's the whole party that's the issue.
if you consider the biggest party of Flanders a problem...

This does seem like the logical conclusion at this point. Not sure if the flemish nationalists would ever give up on Brussels however.

Brussels is always a weird one. They don't want to lose it, but they'll make Antwerp the capital immediately.

Considering Waals and Vlaams Brabant are basic extensions of Brussels in terms of population, work areas, .. they should never be separated from each other. The majority of people commuting to Brussels come from these two provinces. It is where all the NATO, EU, .. people live.

Why is everyone always so quick to partition Belgium. Do you think that's what Belgians want?
Belgians don't exist. There is no such thing as a Belgian. Because it is two countries, one that votes completely left-wing (the communist party leftwing) and one that votes completely right-wing. These discrepancies are economically not maintainable, especially if the left-wing parties refuse to work with any right-wing ones. The minority are literally saying, no, we don't need representation from the majority. it is why a year after the election and 1,5 year after the fall of the previous government we aren't even close to a government.