• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
My thing is by exempting the US you hurt your arguments for why anyone else is necessary so it makes the entire decision look weak.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I don't get why people are surprised that they are keeping the border open with the US - there are hundreds of thousands of Canadians that work in the us and vise-versa.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get why people are surprised that they are keeping the border open with the US - there are hundreds of thousands of Canadians that work in the us and vise-versa.

Without a plan of re-imbursement or pausing of things like Mortgages, how would one even shutdown every non-essential business?

Nobility

Oct 25, 2017
Disappointed but not surprised.

No one wants to have the economy guaranteed to be destroyed on their watch.

I hope this isn't the final word though, it is only a matter of time when they will have no choice.

Outcome won't be good either way but still prefer action now.

I still get the feeling a week from now, government will have no choice. Those US numbers are going to be very bad soon.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's effectively impossible to ban us citizens from entering Canada and vice versa over the border without a gigantic overhaul of trade between the two countries. Doing so without figuring out how to handle supply chains of essential goods that travel between both countries would be disastrous. It would, however, be simple to ban them from air travel, which I imagine isn't happening because of Trump being an idiot.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah, the bubble on here is embarrassing. Canada isn't in a position to close off the borders to their biggest trade partner without destroying themselves.

As soon as the situation in the states deteriorates to Italy like levels (which shouldn't be long now) the restrictions will increase.
But the point here is to prevent reaching Italy levels.

'Canadians need to stay home'

What does this mean?
I mean... what part of it is unclear? Self-isolate as much as possible, don't travel etc.

You could make exceptions for people with work visas, surely.

May 30, 2018
Good thing Trudeau and his team are handling it and this isn't ERA plays PM

Would probably destroy our economy without thinking things through first

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Why didn't anytone ask for universal income? The non-answer about helping people really doesn't help either.

How much will people get? When? How?

Just give $1K to everyone above 18 in the country until this blows over.

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
They should have banned tourists from the US, but still allow citizens to cross the border for work purposes.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
you can easily allow goods to come in while still banning day travelers/tourists coming in. it's not one or the other.

at least screen the damn people before letting them come in.

Terra Firma

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you're not an essential service provider stay home.
But there's no mandate from the government.

No mandatory quarantine for travelers returning to Canada.

No mandatory flight bans for international travel, even to high risk countries like Italy.

No mandatory bans on large gatherings.

No mandatory restrictions on employers asking employees to come to the workplace. Once again, this works against the less affluent people who work in places like warehouses.

Pathetic.

Jan 31, 2018
But the point here is to prevent reaching Italy levels.
With proper management of anyone coming in, i.e. forced quarantine regardless, then they still can.

As miserable as it is, given how much of Canada's economy relies on the States, they can't just close everything off immediately. It's a really delicate balancing act.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
people need also to let people live their lives

senior citizens need people to bring them food and supplies. locking them up without supervision is bad

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Refusing to ban US citizens is some chickenshit move when so many cases got transmitted to Canada through the US and its inept healthcare system/pandemic response, anyway.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
people need also to let people live their lives

senior citizens need people to bring them food and supplies. locking them up without supervision is bad

Grocery store deliveries and pharmacy deliveries will always be exempt

Don't worry you'll have your minimum wage or barely above workers, conscripted under threat of job loss, keeping the food and supplies chain going with zero recognition or thanks

We got you covered brah, come on in and ransack our stores. We're here for you, we have no choice

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Was listening on the CBC feed, is it true that do date Canada has done more testing than the US with 10x our population?
That's insane how lax the US seems to be on this and please close the borders

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
The purpose of closing borders is to protect us from having the virus spread by asymptomatic carriers. How do people not understand that by allowing US citizens who currently pose a massive threat to us based off the lack of measures, testing and projected number of infected you risk spreading it to our citizens. Many Canadians already refuse to social distance and without enforced measures we are just quickly closing the window to prevent mass outbreaks.

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh. I can't watch this, but I want him to give the instruction that people who can work from home should work from home. Some employers seem to be waiting for this. Has he done that yet?

Not trying to at least reduce the amount of visitors from the US is going to fuck us if it continues. This is our window of opportunity and it's closing; I feel it's likely the situation down there is going to be the worst because of the lack of testing and the systemic issues that are being demonstrated. The type of people who want to be traveling at this time are probably not the most careful people either.

All the self-isolation stuff right now is purely honor system. There's definitely assholes coming home from other countries and feeling like they are just gonna hit costco instead of self-isolating. I heard a woman saying she was supposed to be self-isolating, but her family was annoying her so she was going to restaurants and bars. So any progress towards closing those is probably a good thing. It's going to happen anyway. Another week of business for places isn't going to make a huuuge difference to how damaging this will be for them, but it could make a large difference in curtailing the spread.

As for elderly people, now is a good time to give them a call and see if they need anything, especially if they don't have family supports.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh. I can't watch this, but I want him to give the instruction that people who can work from home should work from home. Some employers seem to be waiting for this. Has he done that yet?

Not trying to at least reduce the amount of visitors from the US is going to fuck us if it continues. This is our window of opportunity and it's closing; I feel it's likely the situation down there is going to be the worst because of the lack of testing and the systemic issues that are being demonstrated. The type of people who want to be traveling at this time are probably not the most careful people either.

All the self-isolation stuff right now is purely honor system. There's definitely assholes coming home from other countries and feeling like they are just gonna hit costco instead of self-isolating. I heard a woman saying she was supposed to be self-isolating, but her family was annoying her so she was going to restaurants and bars. So any progress towards closing those is probably a good thing. It's going to happen anyway. Another week of business for places isn't going to make a huuuge difference to how damaging this will be for them, but it could make a large difference in curtailing the spread.

As for elderly people, now is a good time to give them a call and see if they need anything, especially if they don't have family supports.

Trudeau said that Canadians, as much as is possible, should stay at home. Short of regulation and enforcement, which would almost certainly require the involvement of Parliament, I don't think he can be any stronger on that front.

(I do think that's coming if things continue as-is, but you may also find local jurisdictions moving earlier.)

Mars89

Banned
Nov 18, 2018
People dont seem to understand that Trudea has to coordinate with an infant leading the US. I am POSITIVE Trudeau would have banned US citizens immediately if it were only up to him

Perspicacity

Banned
Dec 16, 2018
So a limited travel ban.

No relief for displaced workers, no job protections, no increases to EI. But I'm not "supposed" to go out.
Guess I'll just go work my service job and wait to to die.

Porco Rosso

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
He really should have shut down all non-essential services. People will continue to spread it within our communities.

I can easily work from home and will be for the foreseeable future, but my family and friends don't all have that luxury and have been told to continue to come to work until things are shut down.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
Saying people should stay home and self isolate but it is still just an ask. It is a stronger ask now but nothing has changed.