• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017

Now when it comes to 90 arcade fighting games that are fondly remembered most people would normally name the most usual suspects Killer Instinct, Mortal Kombat, and the Marvel vs Capcom series. Not many people would name Primal Rage as one of the good fighting games of that era due to it's controversial negative edge control scheme (holding certain buttons, and then doing the motions for special attacks instead of just doing the motions and pressing them like Street Fighter).

However, part of its bad reception comes down to it's quite frankly awful home ports and the little known fact that the OG arcade version has yet to be emulated properly due to it's copy protection that has yet to be cracked until recently (more on that later). In any case one Fighting Game enthusiast decided to give it another look, and found there was actually a much deeper game than he originally thought. He even managed to snag a interview with one of the creators of the game to explain their reasoning of it's controversial control scheme. It turns out; there's actually a pretty good fighter, deep down, there that was overlooked due to Killer Instinct coming out literally the next year after.

On another note, there appears to be a user who works for the company Studio Bash games the owners of the officially licensed iircade emulator promoting a near-perfect arcade port recently on twitter with most of it's biggest issues fixed. It appears however, that they have not acquired the license/rights to sell it yet. Hopefully, we will continue to get more information on it with an official release later down the line.

Last edited:

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
I've always thought it was a legit good game. Up there with Killer Instinct as one of the best western fighting games inspired by Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter. Super unique aesthetic, cool characters and moves, interesting gameplay mechanics, fun easter eggs. It's definitely significantly better than most other games lumped into the 90's FG craze.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Preach. I was there to experience Primal Rage in arcades, and competition was fierce. The combo system was actually quite robust in the hands of skilled players, and it drew crowds on par with Mortal Kombat II and Killer Instinct in its prime. You're absolutely right about its legacy being deflated by the emulation restrictions and subpar console ports. It was absolutely one of the premiere western-developed fighting games of its time despite its controversial control scheme.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
I had a primal rage action figure. It was the monster that was blue and looked like a snake.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
The King Kong fart move was baller.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
I only ever really liked the Game Gear version of Primal Rage, and I attribute that to the simplified controls.

Also, am I the only one who checked to see whether the OP was the same person who started the Eternal Champions thread? XD

Ardend

Oct 27, 2017
Good old Primal Rage! I won a local and eventually the national tournament for this way back when. Funny thing was the local tournament prize was the actual arcade machine, the national tournament prize was a 6 inch metal status of Chaos lol. It is actually a very deep game, and once you get used to the holding of buttons rather than pressing them, you can pull of some crazy stuff. Too bad PR2 was such a different and inferior game....

OP
OP
Chaotic-Strike
Oct 25, 2017
Preach. I was there to experience Primal Rage in arcades, and competition was fierce. The combo system was actually quite robust in the hands of skilled players, and it drew crowds on par with Mortal Kombat II and Killer Instinct in its prime. You're absolutely right about its legacy being deflated by the emulation restrictions and subpar console ports. It was absolutely one of the premiere western-developed fighting games of its time despite its controversial control scheme.
Oh, most definitely there's still plenty of combo videos that I couldn't fit in the OP post without it being too long to count.

People should check out this playlist/youtube channel for some competitive matches, they're the only people I've ever really still see playing the game at a high level.

Geist 6one7

Oct 29, 2017
MASS
ECdDZCbW4AAaiRy.jpg

The most indelible Primal Rage memory

Rockodile

Dec 7, 2018
The arcade version was actually the first game I ever played. I fucking loved it. I owned so many action figures and the genesis port. I would love a proper arcade port.

Diablo main for life!

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I would love a new/remake of this, using stop-motion figures again. Would look amazing in HD :x

Rangerx

Oct 25, 2017
Dangleberry
My parents bought me this when I was kid for the Megadrive. I remember loving the whole aesthetic and not being able to pull off any moves.

OP
OP
Chaotic-Strike
Oct 25, 2017
Good old Primal Rage! I won a local and eventually the national tournament for this way back when. Funny thing was the local tournament prize was the actual arcade machine, the national tournament prize was a 6 inch metal status of Chaos lol. It is actually a very deep game, and once you get used to the holding of buttons rather than pressing them, you can pull of some crazy stuff. Too bad PR2 was such a different and inferior game....
In Primal Rage 2's defense it only made it to the prototype stage and was screwed over by Midway.

I can't say liked the decision to go full in on the giant cavemen characters instead of coming up with new monsters/Dinos though.....

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
Definitely a fun fighter and surprisingly deep for its time. The video reminded me of how much fun it was back then, but too bad I can't find at least one video where two decent players are battling each other in it.

OP
OP
Chaotic-Strike
Oct 25, 2017

Jedi2016

Oct 27, 2017
What's that about the home ports / arcade emulation? Isn't the one in Midway Arcade Treasures 2 the original arcade version? It's advertised as such.

Huntersknoll

Oct 25, 2017
I played this when I was younger at an Arcade. I didn't get the game but thought it was awesome I could play as a dinosaur

OP
OP
Chaotic-Strike
Oct 25, 2017
What's that about the home ports / arcade emulation? Isn't the one in Midway Arcade Treasures 2 the original arcade version? It's advertised as such.
The Midway Arcade Treasures 2 version is a port of the arcade version, but it still has emulation issues too with Sauron being bugged and his moves being MUCH faster than he is in the Arcade version which breaks the balance and makes him S tier over the other characters. Then you have stuff like the music not playing if you win the round 2 match, blood being censored and colored in a tannish color instead of it all being Red. The lighting doesn't make the entire screen flash when pulling off a combo and a bunch of other stuff etc.

It's still the best port we got ATM other than the DOS and Saturn versions. This video explains it fairly well if you want to get into the series.

Ardend

Oct 27, 2017
In Primal Rage 2's defense it only made it to the prototype stage and was screwed over by Midway.

I can't say liked the decision to go full in on the giant cavemen characters instead of coming up with new monsters/Dinos though.....

True story: When Primal Rage was in early development, the game was being tested at a local Golfland where my friends and I frequented. We were all hardcore fighting game players and when we saw it, we gave it some serious time. We also ended up playing with another guy who was pretty good, but we played so much over the weeks it was there that we absolutely destroyed him. Eventually he revealed that he was Frank Kuan, the designer of the game, and we actually got into some great discussions about the game and what worked and didnt work. It was really cool getting to see the game evolve as he took feedback back to the team and we'd find a new version of the game up and running in the arcade days later.

Fast forward a couple years I think it was, and I was super excited when I got word that PR2 went on test at the same Golfland, only to be completely devastated when I saw that it was a bunch of cave people and not dinos. I gave it a fair shake but it was just too different to be called PR2 to me.

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
aren't there like many different versions of the arcade game and it's not even fully documented all the differences and censoring that went on in later releases or am I remembering wrong?

OP
OP
Chaotic-Strike
Oct 25, 2017
aren't there like many different versions of the arcade game and it's not even fully documented all the differences and censoring that went on in later releases or am I remembering wrong?
Certain home console ports were censored due to a lady from Arizona trying to ban the game when she saw her kid perform Chaos's fatality, but the arcade version wasn't affected.

They actually made an ad mocking it for one of the console ads, and used the "bad" press to try to attract more attention to the game. Most of the problems nowadays are with the home ports being rather terrible, and the encryption still hasn't been cracked for the Arcade version due to whatever coding the designers used at the time. I've heard a similar issue is still ongoing with the arcade version of Mortal Kombat 4 as well.

True story: When Primal Rage was in early development, the game was being tested at a local Golfland where my friends and I frequented. We were all hardcore fighting game players and when we saw it, we gave it some serious time. We also ended up playing with another guy who was pretty good, but we played so much over the weeks it was there that we absolutely destroyed him. Eventually he revealed that he was Frank Kuan, the designer of the game, and we actually got into some great discussions about the game and what worked and didnt work. It was really cool getting to see the game evolve as he took feedback back to the team and we'd find a new version of the game up and running in the arcade days later.

Fast forward a couple years I think it was, and I was super excited when I got word that PR2 went on test at the same Golfland, only to be completely devastated when I saw that it was a bunch of cave people and not dinos. I gave it a fair shake but it was just too different to be called PR2 to me.
That's a cool story I don't know how or why they thought using cave people was a good idea though. All of the designs are pretty terrible, and the one new monster Slashfang was really the only cool new design/addition. In my experience playing the OG the reason the apes were played the most is because they're are far easier to learn than the other Dinos, and are major combo machines. Sauron is my main and it took a while to get decent with him, and he has a much higher learning curve.

BossDumDrum

Jan 3, 2020
Primal Rage was my Jam as a kid on my genesis. Sadly, never touched it in the arcade. I still weep over the loss of Primal Rage 2.

WB owns the rights to Primal Rage right? Someone should convince them to try bringing back Primal Rage, but if they're concerned about the dead IP, they can just mix it into their monsterverse with Godzilla and King Kong.

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
I loved this game back then, but it was so janky, or at least apparently so. It was one of those fighting games of the era that had mad hype behind it, a machine including this one, Weapon Lord and fucking Rise of the Robots.

It was such a product of its era it was amazing.

Nov 12, 2017
this game was HUGE back then when i was a kid I remember there was an arcade cabinet and it exploded inbetween the MK's SF and KI's as it released a year after the first jurassic park eating humans Vertigo it was extremely fun

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I only ever played the SNES version of it which is probably why I didn't enjoy it back in the day. This video makes it look pretty awesome.

Rumenapp

Forza Photographer
Nov 9, 2017
Never played the game, looked awesome on PC but the ports on SNES and MD were significantly downgraded is terms of visuals.