• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since I have not seen a Pride Month thread yet for 2021, I'm creating one.

Era, today, June 1st marks the beginning of Pride Month 2021, advances have been made involving LGBTQ+ rights but the LGBTQ+ community still faces challenges as of the beginning of Pride Month 2021.

Let us discuss and celebrate the advances that have been made and also let us discuss the challenges that the LGBTQ+ community still faces as of Pride Month 2021.

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
happy pride month!

This month can feel awful if you're still in the closet, for whatever reason. Maybe you're not a safe environment, maybe you're not ready, maybe you're still figuring it out. Whatever the case, it's normal to feel sad seeing others celebrate when you can't. For what it's worth, this is your time too.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
Happy Pride Month!

My first Pride Month as an out gay guy. Dunno what I'm gonna do. I do wanna watch that doc-series (?) on Hulu/FXX (I think it's called "Pride" or something). Looks good.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
So, uh... no logo change for Pride Month? Didn't we have the same issue last year, and it was finally changed for like just a week or am I misremembering?

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Happy Pride Month! No matter what colors your flag flies, you are valid!
802003090810470440.png

Zutroy

Oct 25, 2017
Happy Pride!

My contribution of some positive news for our rights, is that in two weeks time the barriers for gay men donating blood in the UK will significantly be reduced.

www.blood.co.uk

FAIR steering group

Information about the work of the FAIR (For the Assessment of Individualised Risk) steering group in assessing the UK blood donation policy and reducing the deferral for MSM.

Wallace Wells

May 24, 2019
What's happening in the U.K. right now is incredibly worrying in regards to LGBTQ rights. Just yesterday the equalities minister said that the government should withdraw from the Stonewall diversity scheme on top of everything else. You then have the constant attacks by the media and the government on trans people. It's honestly just depressing

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Happy Pride Month everyone. My wish is that all members of the LGBT+ community feel safe, free, and happy to express themselves, and live their lives just as they please. For all those who still cannot do so (which is a significant number), I hope one day soon that changes, but there is still a lot of work that needs to be done, even in "progressive" nations. LGBT+ rights are not a settled matter, not even close, so to all those purported allies reading this, please use this Pride Month to step up your support for your queer loved ones, and carry that increased support and action throughout the entire year and beyond.

Is anyone going to make a LGBT+ Pride Month Thread in the gaming section? I think there definitely needs to be one as well, and both this thread, and the potential gaming thread, deserve to be pinned to the top for the entire month.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Being sexually non-normative might sometimes bring difficult experiences, but it also brings lots of fun, rich ones.

Happy pride month everyone! Keep loving life your way!

魑魅魍魎

Oct 25, 2017
Happy for those that can find love and happiness in the gay community. For gay men like me who are not attractive enough to be part of it, it's just another month to be depressed probably more so.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Happy Pride!

I recently discovered that I'm pansexual, not just bisexual. And I'm married to the same sex, im poly/open married (which only started last year) and I have a boyfriend, so I have a lot of pride to celebrate! So grateful that a city like Seattle is tolerant to people like me

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
I just watched this recent Mexican film about an infamous scandal in the 1900s where a gathering of gay men was raided and they were brutalized and humiliated in the country's media. The scandal being, of course, their existence, not what was done to them.

Now, there's plenty of contemporary LGTBQ cinema in Mexico, but I don't think I'd ever seen a period piece that focused on us. Even though Mexico still has a long way to go to achieving equality for LGBTQ, and there are still cases of brutal violence against our community, it really hit me how lucky we are to be able to be open in public, go partying in public, and even have a pride parade at all, in the same spaces of Mexico City where people like us had to hide in fear for so long. I hope one day this can be true for the whole country and not just the bigger metropolitan areas.

Ed.

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I just watched this recent Mexican film about an infamous scandal in the 1900s where a gathering of gay men was raided and they were brutalized and humiliated in the country's media. The scandal being, of course, their existence, not what was done to them.

Now, there's plenty of contemporary LGTBQ cinema in Mexico, but I don't think I'd ever seen a period piece that focused on us. Even though Mexico still has a long way to go to achieving equality for LGBTQ, and there are still cases of brutal violence against our community, it really hit me how lucky we are to be able to be open in public, go partying in public, and even have a pride parade at all, in the same spaces of Mexico City where people like us had to hide in fear for so long. I hope one day this can be true for the whole country and not just the bigger metropolitan areas.

Well was the movie any good?

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
Happy pride month!

Still living somewhere where I'd be thrown in jail for being who I am (that's if I'm not honor killed first). To all of my fellow gays and LGBTQ+ peeps that are in the same situation, please stay safe <3

Delphine

Fen'Harel Enansal
Administrator
Mar 30, 2018
France
Happy Pride Month to all my queers!
Happy to report that I have a girlfriend (somehow? I don't know, we don't have an official status yet, oops) and I'm living my best bisexual life!

Our lesbian queen Hayley Kiyoko just released the sweetest song for the start of Pride month, so let me share it:

So, uh... no logo change for Pride Month? Didn't we have the same issue last year, and it was finally changed for like just a week or am I misremembering?

They arrived on the last week of June, but stayed for the whole of July too, so basically they remained for a month and a week in order to make up for the fact we were late putting them in the first place.

But don't worry, they'll be up soon enough this year!

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2020
Happy Pride Month! I'm not quite there in terms of being out and proud IRL just yet but I've made some positive strides recently, working my way through things at a pace I'm comfortable with and I'm sure I'll get there. Just wanna say that I appreciate the members of Era who are comfortable enough to be themselves on here, seeing some of you post your coming outs made me feel confident enough to do the same and I haven't looked back since. Online spaces like this are so important to those of us not able to come out IRL and everyone here has been cool and accepting so thank you all for that <3

chronos4590

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Happy Pride month everyone. I will say a few things that's always on my mind during this time.

1) I can not stress it enough especially how privileged many of us are myself included to be in a position and a time where acceptance is at such a high. However It is imperative not to let our brothers and sisters especially our trans, and especially more so to our trans brothers and sisters of color, go unheard especially when its trans especially black and Latina trans women ( at least in America) who lead this movement which in turn also caused more global action. Peopele who are not Trans have to be sure Trans folk get the liberation that THEY themselves demand on their own terms not ours as us non trans allies.
2) We have to continue to strive to decolonize and liberate ourselves and how we move about in this world, and we can not have that without our straight peers and people in power to understand and put in the dang work, to know how colonization played a larger factor in how LGBTQA+ people are viewed in the world today.

3a) With the above being said, there are plenty of countries that are not as fortunate as others. A lot of these countries that were colonized and had their queer identities erased, and was taught that being attracted to the same sex and or gender, or trans identities or other queer identities are vile by their colonizers. Their resources, identities, cultures and entire lives, everything was taken away from them.

3B) These contries might be known to be homophobic but PLEASE remember that there are Queer, LGBTQA+ and trans people living in these countries too and I personally will NEVER tolerate people shit on these countries for being homophobic all while also completely ignoring that queer people exist in those countries too. Do not forget them as well. They are in their country doing what they have to do to survive and many are still being true to themselves because being who they are is the most important thing for them, even if its a matter of life and death. I don't mean to sound dramatic but its very important, and its something that is important to me personally at least.

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
What do you think of brands using pride month in their advertising? Harmless awareness-making or cynical sales-chasing?

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
What do you think of brands using pride month in their advertising? Harmless awareness-making or cynical sales-chasing?

Does it matter?

If some kid feels a bit better about themselves because a company tweets about pride month then that's a win. I don't care what their motivation is.

Companies are made up of people. We have no idea what's cynical marketing and what's a genuinely passionate employee putting things into motion. I also don't know why we're supposed to care if it's cynical, it means we've reached a level of normalization that these companies value our sales potential over bigots.

This is my least favorite discourse this month lol

Last edited:

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
Does it matter?

If some kid feels a bit better about themselves because a company tweets about pride month then that's a win. I don't care what their motivation is.

Companies are made up of people. We have no idea what's cynical marketing and what's a genuinely passionate employee putting things into motion. I also don't know why we're supposed to care if it's cynical, it means we've reached a level of normalization that these companies value our sales potential over bigots.

This is my least favorite discourse this month. I've never seen any point being made that wasn't just let's complain about capitalism and wallow in cynicism and misery very online stuff.
Fair enough. I'm not here to de-rail a celebratory and supportive thread, I was just reminded when I saw things I follow on Twitter had changed their icons

Feign

Aug 11, 2020
<-- Coast
Happy pride, indeed. I'm in a decent place right now so despite my depression ramping up for the first time in months over the weekend I have more support now than I've ever had and that feels good.

I also don't mind that the Palestine logo is still up, though with everything going on in the UK and here in the states this feels like a good time for support when it shifts. Wouldn't mind it being in rotation. And as always, just because some of us can get married now doesn't mean the fight is over. We're a family. We only have that because we all fought together.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
This year I learned that the pan pride flag essentially shares a color palette with the custom Black Mage avatar I've been using for years, which is a wild coincidence

Anyways happy pride!

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Does it matter?

This is my least favorite discourse this month lol
Absolutely agree.

As a game dev I see a lot of efforts by devs in games to add queer elements to games or promote pride through their company, only to see people dunking on it online for being fake and contrived. Sure, there's a bunch of contrived Pride support from corporations, but fucking hell I wish I got to see companies be that supportive of being queer when I was in highschool. And not to mention a lot of that is driven by actual queer people in those companies

My mom open me up to the queer community when I was in my early teens and asked her if girls can kiss each other after I watched a anime. She said "yes, it ok for girls to kiss each other". After that I noticed the subtle queer moments in media and grow my knowledge of the community and finding ways to support it, even if it a simple spread of knowledge or donations. I really haven't opened to my family about being bi but I get the feeling some may already know.

Sawneeks

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Happy Pride everyone!

Still sad that a lot of 'normal' Pride parades and activities aren't happening due to covid since this is the first year I'm proudly and openly out to everyone as a lesbian but, hey, I'd rather people be safe. Pride isn't going anywhere so I can wait till next year :p

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Happy pride peeps. To celebrate the start of the month I wore my rainbow unicorn socks at work today.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Happy Pride Month!

My first Pride Month as an out gay guy. Dunno what I'm gonna do. I do wanna watch that doc-series (?) on Hulu/FXX (I think it's called "Pride" or something). Looks good.

Happy first out pride!

Happy pride everyone. I'm not really celebrating this year, kinda sad about it.