• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I would think they will use the same strategy as they did with the PS4. They are willing to take some loss if they make up that loss from people buying games. And judging from their recent financials they could pretty easily take a $50-100 loss while still being profitable overall.

Feb 10, 2018
They both want to be on top regarding price and power, they both want to win, this is war for them.

If I was one of them I would put out a fake price and spec then wait for my competitor to announce there price and spec and then BOOM announce the real price + spec bettering my rival, this is 3d chess yall.

Earthed

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Sep 26, 2019
I don't remember anyone taking potshots at $599 US Dollars on stage when PS3 price was announced.
Yeah, 'cause that's not really a great opportunity to catch your competitor on. I remember Microsoft and Nintendo had that Minecraft "survive together" commercial about crossplay right around the time the whole Sony crossplay debacle was going on though.

Like, there is literally nothing wrong with that 30 second bit. Microsoft was about to lock down physical sales of games, and some of you guys are complaining about how Sony was ridiculing them for it? Get a grip tbh.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I wonder where the price will be in Canada? $600? The PS4 launched at $400 here and is currently $380 MSRP for the Slim.

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
That's irrelevant. Every company doesn't have the same culture or ideology nor the same pathway to success. Apple also enjoys a cult-like following that I don't think any company has been able to successfully replicate...except for maybe Amazon. In a way you can argue that Sony has kept control of the next gen conversation. Their articles in Wired, the PS5 logo at CES, and every little bit of info they release or tidbit they say is being discussed (there's 2 threads on the first page of this forum). Their silence has kept them in conversation much more so than Microsoft's videos, reveal, and discussions regarding Series X.​

I thought recent rumors pointed towards Lockhart being more of a certainty, as opposed to it not being a thing. Also if that is the case, why attach "Series" to the latest Xbox devices if they aren't going to be a part of a line of products?

Sony is more popular...no doubt. Despite that.... you don't have two threads clamoring for information from Xbox because they've shown to be more forthcoming with their plans and media.

People clamoring for Sony news isn't exactly a measure of popularity. They just want more information.

You'll have plenty of threads about Microsoft and Sony once information and games start flowing.

Wulfer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Sony is looking to repeat a moment like this ->

lreijnahdca5x4hqqkhd.gif

and I think that is sad.
This is a moment MS doesn't plan to give Sony. I'd guess MS is lookiong at the very least a $100 hit on hardware alone it ensure this moment doesn't happen again!

Thorzilla

Oct 28, 2017
In my opinion, PlayStation's radio silence isn't doing them any favors and I'll will contradict what some here are saying because I don't believe they can pull a 2013. Xbox has a ton of amazing services, products and good faith that I believe will carry them well into next gen and PS do well to be wary and cautious.

2013 won't repeat itself and this next gen is going to be a replay of PS3 vs X360 in terms of toe to toe market share (where also Nintendo doesn't give a fuck and continue to sell like hot cakes by the way lol).

Ananke

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 19, 2020
Sony is more popular...no doubt. Despite that.... you don't have two threads clamoring for information from Xbox because they've shown to be more forthcoming with their plans and media.

People clamoring for Sony news isn't exactly a measure of popularity. They just want more information.

You'll have plenty of threads about Microsoft and Sony once information and games start flowing.
I feel that Xbox is in the same situation as PlayStation presently. They've just shown the box and the controller, and said that it'll X times more powerful than Y. We essentially know the same information about both consoles and are lacking the finer details of both. I don't think it's so much as a lack of information regarding the PS5 that is driving many into a frenzy as it is that they want to know what of the leaks or insider info is legitimate. If all sources said that PS5 and Xbox were equals with no performance differences, I don't think the recent radio silence of Sony or Next Gen Speculation thread would visible. Just my thoughts though.​

Tom Nook

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
MS: On 3, We will both shout out the price of our console.
Sony: Deal
Both. 1.....2.....3!
Both: ............

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People will google "best version of game X" and go with that, so it can't be the same price.

Yes, if the power difference is so vast that it is readily noticeable, you're right.

The true test will be the first batch of next gen/cross gen 3rd party games like COD and Assassin's Creed, seeing how they stack up between PS5 & Series X from an outlet like Digital Foundry.

I have a feeling that both consoles will be very close though.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Given the SSD & everything else inside, the question is, will they sell it for $500 & barely break even or to make a profit? Or sell it for $400 & take a loss off of each console sold?

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
In my opinion, PlayStation's radio silence isn't doing them any favors and I'll will contradict what some here are saying because I don't believe they can pull a 2013. Xbox has a ton of amazing services, products and good faith that I believe will carry them well into next gen and PS do well to be wary and cautious.

2013 won't repeat itself and this next gen is going to be a replay of PS3 vs X360 in terms of toe to toe market share (where also Nintendo doesn't give a fuck and continue to sell like hot cakes by the way lol).
I mean, MS has done better lately than early this generation, and sure had been quite vocal and aggressive with GP... but beyond that, sales aren't exactly amazing, so i wonder how 'big' is that good faith beyond some enthusiasts, and saying has a TON of amazing products is a bit of exaggeration, especially when compared with PS first party output and commitment with they current gen console, ps4 when ps5 is just around the corner.
I agree that Sony has to consider competition though, and seems they really do.

Tribal24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like both are aiming for a higher price than we expect, but they are waiting for each other to break that news and take the bad press first (and then obviously undercutting).

This is how I'm seeing it, sucks we don't what's going to be in them exavtly. If that rumour that the ps5 might be weaker by a little I can see it $499 with XSX being $599. Again it's hard to gauge but it both are similar I can see $599 for both

Afro_DusT

Apr 11, 2018
Wait. So now that MS knows that Sony is waiting for them to announce price, doesn't that give MS some strategic leverage?

Deleted member 61469

Banned
Nov 17, 2019
People who think xsx will be 599 vs 499 ps5 with only a 20% gpu difference are on some good crack

Feb 10, 2018
Wait. So now that MS knows that Sony is waiting for them to announce price, doesn't that give MS some strategic leverage?

It does give them some motivation to not announce the price.
But it's not like they can wait until the day before launch to announce price.
While both Sony + ms will be keeping an eye on each, there comes a point where they can't let there competitors dictate there actions, because it could negatively effect other parts of there gaming business.
They will have 1000s of deals with retailers for millions of products, the retailers are going to want a price in a similar time frame as prior console launches.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
So Sony is respecting Xbox by treating them as serious competition?

But I thought Sony was arrogant!?!?

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
I feel that Xbox is in the same situation as PlayStation presently. They've just shown the box and the controller, and said that it'll X times more powerful than Y. We essentially know the same information about both consoles and are lacking the finer details of both. I don't think it's so much as a lack of information regarding the PS5 that is driving many into a frenzy as it is that they want to know what of the leaks or insider info is legitimate. If all sources said that PS5 and Xbox were equals with no performance differences, I don't think the recent radio silence of Sony or Next Gen Speculation thread would visible. Just my thoughts though.​

You have dev footage of next gen games from Microsoft. Even if you want to argue it isn't gameplay...Xbox fans can look at that and even some dev diaries. Like ninja theory. Turn Ten has next gen information out there.

Sony has less information out there and people want even just a little. The Sony base would be ecstatic if they could oogle over next gen footage like hellblade.

Nov 27, 2017
California
Everyone waiting

it's no secret that PS4 got off to it's hot start by being $100 cheaper than Xbox one
I'm calling $499 for both with a game included like call of duty for PlayStation or a Halo bundle for $550 for a special edition console

Deleted member 35478

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
I have a feeling the Xbox Series X is going to be cheaper than people expect, they're selling services now, maybe taking a hit on hardware is worth it again. And it looks like Sony is actually worried about that because I don't think Sony can afford to do the same.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
OK here's how I see this playing out

MS: "Series X is $499."

Sony: "PS5 is $399."

MS: "Every Series X comes with a year of Game Pass."

Suddenly the value propositions are "399 plus 60 for a game" vs "499 and I'm good for a whole year"

Angeal78

Game Producer at MistWall Studio
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

Suddenly the value propositions are "399 plus 60 for a game" vs "499 and I'm good for a whole year"

Still if they show GoW 2, Horizon 2 etc... and that price... I'll buy a Ps5 first.

Wulfer

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think the fact we don't even know if MS is going with the two console plan makes all these discussions really hard.

The perfect plan, in case of two consoles, would be 300$ and 500$ for the Xboxes. Then PlayStation can just undercut or match the higher console (either 449$ or 499$).

I can't see how the Xbox series X can go below 499 if it's supposedly stronger than the PS5.
You need to remove the blue tint from your glasses and then you can see it. It's crystal for me, will MS do it? I expect IT!

Feb 10, 2018

Depends on the power level of the 2 machines, if one system is within 15% power wise and $100 cheaper it would be very bad for the more expensive platform.

Snake Eater

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

And MS has money to burn

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a reason why it aways has to be steps of 100 (400 or 500)? What about a $/€450 console?

Oct 27, 2017
399 is the sweet spot imo.
Sony is looking to repeat a moment like this ->

lreijnahdca5x4hqqkhd.gif

and I think that is sad.
I don't think they are specifically waiting for something like this, but they way they capitalized on the backlash Xbox One received was anything but, it was brilliant marketing and should serve as a reminder of just how bad Microsoft's original idea of this gen was. Imagine a world where you can't hand someone a disc you paid for and let them use it. Now that is sad.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on the power level of the 2 machines, if one system is within 15% power wise and $100 cheaper it would be very bad for the more expensive platform.
I'm willing to bet the majority of video game buyers wouldn't be able to tell you what a teraflop is. Power distinctions don't really matter to the vast majority of people. They want value above all else, and Game Pass would be huge in that regard. Telling Joe Consumer this comes with the new Halo and Forza and whatever else would sell a shit ton of consoles.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
I'm willing to bet the majority of video game buyers wouldn't be able to tell you what a teraflop is. Power distinctions don't really matter to the vast majority of people. They want value above all else, and Game Pass would be huge in that regard. Telling Joe Consumer this comes with the new Halo and Forza and whatever else would sell a shit ton of consoles.

That's somewhat true, but power is most definitely at least a small chunk of the equation. The 360 having the better ports was a big deal back then, the whole "bit wars" really proved how much people cared about power as well. This 100% does NOT mean more power means you win, but it is a talking point that people factor in.