• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
They both know their consoles aren't going to be that great on their own merits so they're trying to undercut each other on price at the last second to try and secure a bit of goodwill.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
Really interested to see how this plays out though. MS Certainly can afford to take a loss more than Sony but there are variables we don't know. Is MS willing to take a big loss? Is Sony?

EagleClaw

Dec 31, 2018
So the company sony will consider the right price for their product after they know the price of the product that is aiming for the same consumer market,
and they will also factor in the production and labour costs, as the amount of service offering to the consumer?

Wow, sounds like a broad new strategy. ;-)

Serious talk, i kinda think we will not hear much about ps5 until microsoft put their cards on the table.
I think that is what they learned from the ps4 launch, let the other show off their stuff, but have the last word.

Jan 20, 2019
Looks like we got ourselves a Mexican standoff here... Oh noo, wait, Nintendo isn't joining the party in 2020, so it's a normal standoff, unless Sony and Xbox keep standing in front of each other's faces, we still have a Mexican standoff in 2021, with Nintendo joining the party...

Let's just hope Sony or Xbox has the balls to announce the price as soon as possible, and avoid this silly nonsense!

Hellshy

Nov 5, 2017
Thats not vague at all lol

It's very vague. Sure they are not talking about nintendo but they also never said they were waiting for the price of xbox to be announced. Being in the competitive space could just mean they dont want to announce price too early or even better yet that because they are competing they are still figuring out just how much cost they are willing to eat which is basically what he says right after.

Oct 27, 2017
I fully expect to pay $499 this year for my series X. I'm not convinced that Mark Cerny was told that he could build a console that will retail north of $399.

So, I'm still thinking 399 for my ps5 this year.

Fizie

Jan 21, 2018
Should be interesting how things play out. I suspect both are more willing now than ever to take a loss on consoles when you factor in the amount of money they make through subscriptions / digital stores etc.

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
That's kind of clickbait. The article never mentions Microsoft or Xbox.

Sony says they are "competing in the space". Maybe they're talking about Nintendo? It's extremely vague.

Yeah, this thread title and the IGN article are click baiting. The true title should simply be "Price of the PlayStation 5 hasn't been determined yet. CFO says company is working with many unknowns."

But then again that's not click baity enough now is it?

EDIT:

Actually, it was indeed changed to just that.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
If I was Microsoft I would now wait till Sony makes the first move. Don't make the same mistake again, Phil.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Well I guess arrogant Sony has now become incredibly shy in saying anything again.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Why would Sony talk about Nintendo or something else in this statement? Of course they're talking about Microsoft, they're releasing a console of similar power and features at the same time.

Jan 9, 2018
Sweden
Said on various occasions I thought this was the case. It's a chicken race to reveal the important bits of information on the new systems, pricing being prime among them.

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No they didn't. When asked about it they said the price was decided long before MS dropped $499 Xbone. The only things they added at E3 conference at the last moment was couple of slides about used games and no online DRM.

Edit: And looks like they don't with PS5 as well. Its just a clickbait headline.
They said, but they admitted they made changes to their presentation - and if you think they're just going to outright admit that pricing was decided because of a competitor then gosh.

TheZjman

Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Makes sense, they got a big headstart last time on Microsoft by virtue it was a £100 cheaper(combined with the DRM stuff)

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
The quotes in the article are fine, but the editorializing of it is not. They don't mention Xbox once but somehow the writer still leads the article with that. I just don't understand...

Buddy1103

Jan 8, 2019
kinda hope the series x is 400 just to see if sony would actually go lower. though realistically the series x probably wont be less than 450.

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
This is going to get real interesting really fast. It's clear Sony is planning to undercut the X no matter what the official price will be.

MS is likely trying to position their consoles so that there's enough distance between the two to make them both attractive. Too much distance and PS5 undercuts then both.

A $300 Lockhart and a $600 X are going to have a rough time against a $400-$450 PS5. Conversely a $500 X and a $300 Lockhart gets weird and a $500 X and $200 Lockhart seems like too much in losses.
Microsoft probably doesnt' give a shit about the consoles, they only want to deal people into their services.

Oct 27, 2017
It's a risky game for Sony to play, as Microsoft have GamePass that they can use to add value. The hardware-only price is one thing, but the real-world comparison is the hardware plus the games you want to play. If Microsoft bundles a GamePass subscription with full access to the entire first party library, then it could easily be pitched as better value, even if the hardware commands a higher price by itself. It's not like bundling Kinect was, which nobody would have bought separately; every potential PS5 launch owner is going to be buying at least one $60 game and probably quite a few more.

Decarb

Oct 27, 2017
They said, but they admitted they made changes to their presentation - and if you think they're just going to outright admit that pricing was decided because of a competitor then gosh.
Well House actually laughed at the notion of changing price on the fly in 2 days and explained how the box has been designed around $399 from the start with supply chains and contracts locked in place and long term loss/profit gains on the hardware sales assessed. But of course conspiracy theorist have never been satisfied with rational answers.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Well House actually laughed at the notion of changing price on the fly in 2 days and explained how the box has been designed around $399 from the start with supply chains and contracts locked in place and long term loss/profit gains on the hardware sales assessed. But of course conspiracy theorist have never been satisfied with rational answers.
Yeah, the idea of a company deciding to change the price in what was essentially a day and a half is laughable. Can you imagine going from just shy of $100 profit to a small loss in that time frame for a big company like Sony? That's not how it works.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
It's very vague. Sure they are not talking about nintendo but they also never said they were waiting for the price of xbox to be announced. Being in the competitive space could just mean they dont want to announce price too early or even better yet that because they are competing they are still figuring out just how much cost they are willing to eat which is basically what he says right after.
Who is their competition? Its really not hard to figure out who they're talking about.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
Who is their competition? Its really not hard to figure out who they're talking about.

I think the quote "we are competing in that space" is more referring to themselves, meaning PS4 and its price, relative to where the value proposition lies vs a shiny new PS5.

PS4 Pro is still selling for $299 MSRP and they also have a few massive software titles releasing this year that could potentially drive an increase in late-gen hardware sales at full (current) price. I believe they will be able to determine PS5 launch price based on intent to drop the PS4's price late in it's life, but when it's still selling so well, it's hard to cut it off and also hard to position it "against" PS5.

If there was a $399 price point proposed for PS5, that landscape could look extremely different vs a $499 PS5 depending on what PS4 price is at launch.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
No big peripherals. Just a console and a controller i believe they can get to 400$-450$.

I mean, I really hope that happens. But considering that competitive storage, GPU, and CPU are all more significantly more expensive now than they were back when PS4 launched, I'd be really surprised if they managed to bring something out at the same price point. Even just looking at storage there's a huge price bump there. 500GB of 2.5" storage back when the PS4 launched was maybe $50. 1TB of NVMe storage now is $100 for the most budget drive you can get, while NVMe storage with performance on par with what Sony is promising is closer to $150-200.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
i think MS has no choice but to announce their price 1st, sony can just sit back and watch

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Sorry Sony.

Your games are awesome without a doubt but my confidence and support of the product has been dwindling over the years. And this is from a day 2 supporter of ps4, pro and arguably most games.

I dont like the silence and sleaze of their marketing approach. Sure, one can argue a company does not owe us anything, but I'm on the team that thinks that they do. I'm not taking about "free stuff" entitlement here, I'm talking a customer first approach to decision making. That will always yield success.

The canceling of essentially all trade shows, zero talk about anything long term to keep us invested in the ecosystem and the catch up/changes to policies only when your competitors do it first is getting stale.

I'm excited for Microsoft, they deserve our support the most if you look at the state of gaming over the past few years. Their marketing is working. I actually feel value with their product and excited to invest with them long term.

I get the transitional period with next gen. There will be some hush time as they iron down the final details. Like I have said in another post, Sony isn't ironing out the details, they are modifying on the fly. Frankly, I dont think Sony has their hardware locked in either. They are waiting on Microsoft to reveal everything first and will the piece together their system ( they of course have numerous hardware/pricepoints of prototype consoles ).

Feb 10, 2018
Both ms and Sony are being such sneaky tryhards regarding next gen.

It's almost coming to the point where the company that does wait the longest just to try and have a mic drop lower price moment is pretty lame.