• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

You can choose only one

• Prey (2017)

Votes: 603 53.6%
  • Dishonored 2 (2016)

Votes: 523 46.4%

• Total voters

Ryo Hazuki

Oct 25, 2017
Prey is the far better game. The connected world-building, the exploration, the setting, the premise. The game definitely held my interest and appealed way more to me that Dishonored.

admiraltaftbar

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Dishonored 2 is the most underrated game of last gen while Prey is just a really underrated game from last gen so I had to go with Dishonored 2. (Both are great games though)

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Easily Dishonored 2. Thats not a slight on Prey though, I love that game, its just got more flaws overall.

I platinumed both games and played Mooncrash a ton for all trophies.

Arkane are awesome.

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
Both games are really great experiences but Dishonored 2 is one of the best games of the gen, it has the better atmosphere, gameplay, world and level design. I really hope Arkane don't abandon the Dishonored world cause I'd love to go back.

Azriell

Oct 27, 2017
Prey for me.

Sadly, I could not get into Dishonored 2. I plan to buy it again on PC at some point, when it's cheap, because I loved the first game. I'm sure it was just a matter of circumstance and not a reflection of the game.

As for Prey: I loved Prey. Great opening. Enemies left something to be desired, but the rest of the package was amazing. Also just exploring the ship and the space around it was fantastic.

DukeBobby

Oct 25, 2017
Dishonored 2 for me. I just couldn't get to grips with the combat in Prey so I stopped playing about halfway through. I would like to try it again sometime though.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Prey was alright but really comes apart towards the end.

Dishonored 2 is so much better. The clockwork mansion alone elevates it to the status of Arkane's best work.

PsyDec

Jun 3, 2019
Yo wtf is wrong with you lot. I did not expect to see Prey higher than D2. Prey edges out in the 'atmosphere' category and maaaybe enemy variety, but D2 exceeds it in almost every other regard. Combat, story, art style, level design, music etc etc.

Opinions yes I know but I'm just surprised to see it.

darkkinder

Oct 28, 2020
I love dishonored 2, the music, the architecture/costumes/objects design, the characters, the game play, everything is great. I couldn't get into Prey, tried a few times, but every time I stopped playing after awhile

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Prey is my favorite of the two. Dishonored 2 is really good but the technical issues and weak storytelling bring it down for me a bit. Prey (on PC) has like one problematic area that can at least be remedied with brute force.

Verchod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's a very tricky question. I think Dishonoured 2 is overall the better game, its more polished and better designed. However I prefer the type of game that Prey is, but there are elements which could of been better, such as enemy types.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I liked Dishonored 2 more than Prey but enjoyed the first Dishonored over both of them.

Loved all three though.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Prey is so mindblowing in a lot of the concepts, while Dishonored 2 is perhaps better mechanically. I love both dearly and refuse to choose between them.

TheSentry42

Nov 2, 2017
If they put out a new gen console update for Prey to take away the awful loading and segmented aspect of the game then I would give it to Prey. The loading in that game ruined its flow.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Prey is a brilliant game hamstrung primarily by load times in the late game. I presume it would play better on the new consoles for that reason alone, and I would be all in for a proper sequel.

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
This is one of the hardest polls so far on here.

bith fantastic games, but Dishonored 2 was pretty much flawless for me and I enjoyed the settings more. So that's the answer...but damn is Prey a stellar game.

Aangster

Oct 27, 2017
Prey (2017) fizzles out a bit towards the end and I would've liked to see more enemy variety, but Dishonored 2 delivers a much weaker repeat narrative while running like shit on the Void engine.

Definitely hard to decide.

Colasante

Nov 5, 2017
I haven't played Prey or Dishonored 2, but the fact that this thread seems pretty evenly split and both sides are so passionate about their choice makes me want to play both of these ASAP.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
They are very different games, it's like asking me to chose the best racer between Burnout Revenge and F-Zero GX.
Prey was brilliant , but Dishonored 2 wins because the art is so good and the gameplay is a little more immediate and ultimately feels better.

Dr. Sanchez

Nov 15, 2017
Dishonored 2 was more fun to play, but Prey was incredible to explore. Really like the map design in Prey.

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
They are very different games, it's like asking me to chose the best racer between Burnout Revenge and F-Zero GX.
Prey was brilliant , but Dishonored 2 wins because the art is so good and the gameplay is a little more immediate and ultimately feels better.
Yes, this as well.
Prey is the Bioshock game we never got, with plenty of RPG mechanics and a hub world. Dishonored is an immersive first person stealth adventure and a linear big exploreable world. It's tough to compare the two.

BayonettasBuddy

Lead Producer at Cold Symmetry
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Prey for me. Think it's vastly superior. Everything from setting, to story, gameplay. I conveyed Dishonored but never really clicked with it.

Prey on the other hand was one of my favourite games from last gen. (Fyi I picked it up based on a resetera thread on games that are often overlooked)

Oct 25, 2017
Dishonored has the better gameplay and level design, but the world building and the story of Prey grabbed me by the throat out of nowhere. When I booted up the game I didnt expect to enjoy it as much as I did

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I just got to the hub in Prey, and I'm struck at how much like Bioshock the game is. All the way down to the architecture and the way the game tells its story. There's even a stand-in for Atlas. Though that's clearly the vibe that the game is going for.

It's such a weird feeling playing a game that does this whole "listen to audio logs and search every drawer for random shit" gameplay in 2021. It feels so dated today, but was so popular back then.

Not a fan of horror games but eh, I'll keep at it to see what people like about this game.

MagnusGman

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dallas
It's like trying to choose between my children. Everytime I think about how much I love one - I remember how much I love the other. They're both just so so excellent. Easily two of my favorite games of the last decade if not all time.

Arkane have really become one of my favorite studios. Hell I was already on board back in the Dark Messiah days. But they've really been knocking it out of the park the last 8 years. Even in spite that technically these are two different developers

Deathloop is also looking like another banger.

hasher

Oct 10, 2020
Prey is one of the most slept on games in recent years. The Moon Crash expansion is pretty much the foundation for what Deathloop is turning out to be.

noinspiration

Jun 22, 2020
The poll results reflect my own feelings pretty well. They're two of my favorite games of the past few years and giving the edge to one or the other would be largely a matter of mood.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Since there seems to be a lot of Prey fans in this thread, maybe this is the place to ask. I played through Prey for the first time last year, after thinking that Dishonored 2 is the greatest game of the generation, and I was enjoying it, but when I got to the part where the military operators appeared, I banged my head against the game for about an hour, could never get around them, and then quit. After replaying Dishonored 2, I want to give it another chance. How should I spec myself from the beginning to not screw myself later in the game as higher and higher level enemies appear? I was thinking about going heavy into alien powers on my second go around, would that be a good idea?

I didn't spec into Typhon powers at all, don't even know what half that tree does. Turns out there is apparently something in there that will help, but honestly you don't need it.

Two words: stun gun. Just shock the shit out of everything. It doesn't work on absolutely everything, crucially I think one of the big psychic Typhon is unaffected. But it will temporarily stun a lot of enemies so you can shoot/bash them in as needed, including the Nightmare. As for military operators, I remember being really worried when I heard about a huge difficulty spike in the last part of the game, and when the operators showed up I though "oh crap, are they immune to stun guns or something?" Haha. NOPE. As long as you can get close to one (and most of the time you can), you can drop one in a few shots easy with the stun gun. Literally trivializes them.

This is what I meant by my comment earlier in the thread about whether Prey's combat was actually too EASY.

(that said, I played it on Normal, so maybe this doesn't work so well on harder difficulties?)

Last edited:

spiel

Oct 28, 2017
Tough, but Prey is my pick. Dishonored 2 has the highest highs level design-wise (the Clockwork Mansion was a masterpiece) but I thought the main plot was a little weak. Everything in Prey just fit together. Loved having Talos One as a single space to explore and learn intimately, with each crew member having their own stories. The setting/writing in the game left a stronger impression on me too.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
Both Dishonored games were great. And I really liked the original Prey, but I hated the 2017 one - it was such a chore to play and not at all fun.

Cascadero

Nov 8, 2017
Dishonored 2 was spectacular. Prey couldn't keep me engaged nearly as much when I picked it up with high hopes a few years ago. Still thinking I should give it another try though, maybe it will click next time.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
They're both such amazing and different games mechanics wise impossible to choose a favorite. Scared and excited to see what Deathloop is after neither lit up the charts

We still haven't seen any real gameplay video for deathloop

blackw0lf48

Jan 2, 2019
Man is that a hard question. Both are utter classics. But I think Dishonored 2 I just consistent high quality throughout, while prey has more valleys.

I also think Dishonored 2 has higher peaks. Crack in the slab is just an astonishing achievement in level design.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
Both are great, but Prey is one of my favorite games of the last generation. Very excited for Arkane Austin's next game.

Xadra

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2018
Another vote for Prey. The atmosphere, the desolated space station, the mystery surrounding the ship,.. it's something that makes Prey more appealing for me.
Both are great games.

Let me share a video from Noclip of the opening level of Prey.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
Dishonored 2 is the far better game. Much better level design and gameplay. Prey is especially lacking in the latter, it's super fun to explore though and hands down the best space station in gaming.