• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

You can choose only one

• Prey (2017)

Votes: 603 53.6%
  • Dishonored 2 (2016)

Votes: 523 46.4%

• Total voters

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Prey-and-Dishonored-2-from-Arkane-Studios-Which-one-do-you-think-is-better-ResetEra.png

That's it, I'm locking the thread. We're done here!

Luke_wal

Oct 25, 2017
Since there seems to be a lot of Prey fans in this thread, maybe this is the place to ask. I played through Prey for the first time last year, after thinking that Dishonored 2 is the greatest game of the generation, and I was enjoying it, but when I got to the part where the military operators appeared, I banged my head against the game for about an hour, could never get around them, and then quit. After replaying Dishonored 2, I want to give it another chance. How should I spec myself from the beginning to not screw myself later in the game as higher and higher level enemies appear? I was thinking about going heavy into alien powers on my second go around, would that be a good idea?

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Both are brilliant games but I prefer Dishonored 2 because I´m a stealth guy and I like Dishonored`s setting more than Prey`s.
Also: the Clockwork level is on a whole other level.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Prey is insane with how good it is. It is absolutely nuts. It is a going for it of the highest order.

AbsoluteZ3R0

Feb 5, 2019
Dishonored 2 has the best level design of last gen. A crack in the slab and clockwork mansion are two of the greatest level design of all time.

kiguel182

Oct 31, 2017
That's an hard question lol

Prey's world is more interesting and the structure is better and more interesting. It's also a much more ambitious game.

But Dishonored 2 plays so much better and the powers are more interesting. Level design is more pure stealth which can be incredibly satisfying.

Staal

Oct 27, 2017
This just reminded me that I still need to play Prey.
D2 has some amazing levels, really liked that game.

HypedBulborb

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Prey is easily one of my favorite games of this gen, it's so fucking good.

I really wish they make a second installment, they almost have to after that ending, they can't leave it here!

FEVER333

Sep 7, 2020
Dishonored 2

Prey is a very good game, but both Dishonored games were almost perfect experiences for me. Really hope we get another one someday.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Playing as Emily in Dishonored 2 is a lot of fun. Such a great ability set there. Prey is good, but the combat relies a lot on having the slow-no perk for it to not get unwieldily. Though they might've fixed that with the patch.

xoxoclvbs

Aug 1, 2020
Both are good, but Prey is more directly up my wheelhouse.

Prey: Mooncrash is better than them all.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Dishonored 2 easy.
Prey had a lot of issues with gameplay and level design, I also feel it also breaks the cardinal rule of an immersive sim by locking your path behind keys that you need to obtain without which you cannot access other areas as there are no alternative path to it.

Nov 8, 2017
Loved Prey. Dishonored 2 didn't click with me - which is odd because the first game did in 2012.

Prey's interconnected world that you get to know like the back of your hand is great. I love games that do this. In order to pull it off you have to have some freedom and openness but not so much it gets out of control, and you still have linearity. It's a compact world by open world standards but imo it's vastly superior. I also love the atmosphere, and despite people telling me the story had a dumb twist I disagreed and enjoyed it.

E-bite

Oct 24, 2018
Dishonored 2 is a PERFECT video game. it has no flaws, none. it's one of if not the best immersive sim game ever made. imo.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Prey 100% for me. It's peak immersive sim, giving you so many ways to find creative solutions to every aspect of the gameplay from combat to exploration. The space station itself was fantastic too and letting you piece together the story of literally everybody on it was something so uniquely brilliant that I doubt we'll see again. Plus Mooncrash is dope.

I could never get into Dishonoured and I have given both games multiple shots because, on paper, they should be something I'm into. I recognise they're great but there's just something I can't pinpoint that I don't like about them.

Schopenhauer

Oct 27, 2017
While I really enjoyed both games I had to go with Prey. It came down to me liking Mooncrash way better than Death of the Outsider.

SilentEagle

Jan 9, 2021
Tough question. Arkane is really special studio. I think Dishonored 2 because Dishonored IP is better but both games are amazing.

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
I really love them both, but I think I played Dishonered 2 more than Prey. Although the latter is my first experience with Arkane Studios and holds a special place in my heart.

Bardoon

May 27, 2018
England
I prefer Dishonored 2. The steampunk and occult mix is neat and I love exploring all the nooks and crannies.

But Talos I is still an amazing place to explore with how it's all connected.

A Path Finder

Developer at ioi
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Both are brilliant and Dishonered is the more polished game with superb stealth and level design, but for me Prey takes the edge. I am a sucker for immersive sims and I think they nailed the exploration and story telling. I felt incredibly involved all the way through, with lots of agency and impactful choices dotted along the ride. The narrative was woven into the gameplay from the very beginning, just awesome.

I love Arkane Studios. Those bastards know how to make games.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Don't make me choose.
I love Dishonored 2 better, because the level design and art style is 10/10, but Prey is a fantastic game that was my GOTY of 2017.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia.
Dishonored 2 gets the edge here, as its refined everything from the original, and its level design is masterclass.
Prey is still excellent though, and if it got a sequel, could probably hit the same highs.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
It's close, but I had less trouble with Prey's controls on PS4 than Dishonored 2, which has some of the most bafflingly bad camera sensitivity I've ever experienced in a first person game. Much worse than the first game. For all the multitudes of difficulty tweaks, it's a pity they goofed up something even more essential.

Fortunately, I adapted as best I could and the rest of the game was pretty stellar, with two particular standout levels. I did have some issues sliding under certain obstacles though, and all-in-all movement felt heavier than in the first, which made stealth trickier. Pair that with more sensitive AI you've got yourself a tough time. That said, your options are vastly expanded and there is some great creativity to be had in solving each level's challenges.

Prey gets points for being more adaptable and less reliant on precision, while also having nothing prior to really compare it to. I also just loved how complete and ungamey the space station felt. Functional computer systems and staff tracking, the entire outer surface of the station explorable, so many solutions to problems and few so simple as to outweigh the rest. A real gem of an immersive sim. What a shame it will be if we don't get a sequel.

shoal

Dec 27, 2020
I love both, but I've got to give the edge to Prey. Not for any game-play or story reasons, I just played Prey during a particularly joyful time in my life, and I've got fond memories around it.

DanCon

Oct 30, 2017
Dishonored 2 for me, the world building and level design are second to none... i mean the clockwork mansion is insane enough for one game but then they throw in the time travel device level too for good measure!

Paradox

Oct 28, 2017
D2 was a great game. 8.5 for me

Prey was one of the best experiences ive ever had in gaming. 10/10 and no, the last few hours of it dont stop it from being so. I wish i could play it again with it erased from my memory

also it must be said that prey on console is pretty awful but its transformational on pc.

Yeah I feel very similar.

I think one of the reasons why I love Prey so much is because I knew so little about it going in and it just resonated with me so much. It's frustrating that that's an experience you can't replicate. Like, Prey may well be one of my favourite games of all time but I may never play it again because I now know it too well.

Sameer Sedlar

Feb 8, 2018
Egypt
Personally I very much preferred Dishonored 1 more than 2, so I'd say go with that, it's better than both Dishonored 2 and Prey.
But if you played it, or don't want to, I'd go with Dishonored 2, it offers a better story than Prey, seriously Prey only has an awesome beginning, and an awesome ending, but there is nothing of value inbetween sadly in terms of story.
In terms of gameplay both are pretty damn amazing, but again I prefer Dishonored 2 over Prey.
I really did not enjoy Prey at all, sadly.

FEVER333

Sep 7, 2020
Can I just say, I'm extremely excited to be an Xbox player and have Microsoft own this studio. The thought of all of their future games (Deathloop obviously excluded) being exclusives, or at the very least being on Game Pass day and date, is very exciting.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
Two absolutely incredible video games, and among the best of the generation.

Dishonored 2 is much more solid across the board. Everything is just done at a really high level. Great controls, level design, art direction, mission variety, etc. Prey has some lows (too many combat encounters and not enough variety in them), but I loved exploring Talos 1's open-world style and the game's more RPG-focused design. I'd probably go with Prey by the slimmest of margins.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
JUST giving the edge to Dishonored 2 for levels like the Jindosh Lock, the Clockwork Mansion and A Crack in the Slab. I think both games are all-timer 10/10s, but Dishonored 2's level design is exquisite.

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
Prey for sure, I loved this game, Dishonored 2 I finished and like the first game didn't really liked most of the time, it's a solid 7/10.