• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

You can choose only one

• Prey (2017)

Votes: 603 53.6%
  • Dishonored 2 (2016)

Votes: 523 46.4%

• Total voters

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
I'm honestly not sure why Prey is liked so much (at least on here); I thought it was largely mediocre. Dishonored 2, on the other hand, was great as always.

Shrikey

Oct 27, 2017
I loved Dishonored and the sequel is great. I just don't feel that D2 expanded as much on the formula as I'd wanted, so by the end I was a bit bored. That said, Clockwork Mansion and Crack in the Slab (was that the title?) are god tier levels.

Prey for me, was cohesive and systemic in a way that gelled better than D2 for me. Both are fantastic, but Prey wins by a nose.

Insanely hyped for Deathloop.

Fizie

Jan 21, 2018
Hard choice. Have to give it to Dishonored 2 due to it's outstanding level-design and gameplay, although I did prefer Prey's setting /atmosphere and metroidvania-style structure.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Prey's environmental storytelling, attention to detail, and systemic/emergent gameplay possibilities absolutely dwarf Dishonored 2's. Every person on the station, alive or dead, leaves footprints for players to discover and piece together. Every work station, every corpse, every turned over chair paints part of the picture.

And interior to exterior, Talos I itself s a master class in three dimensional level design - the best since Dark Souls.

stat84

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Both are incredible but Dishonored 2 is a little bit better mostly because of some unique and amazing levels

mattypacker

Oct 29, 2017
Bristol UK
Love them both but on balance I would say Dishonored 2. Amazing level design and traversal. Had a great time with it.

Can't wait to see what Arkane can do in the future. Looking forward to Deathloop this year, but it's the future I'm more interested in. If Bethesda games do indeed go Xbox/PC exclusive then it's Arkane, and not Bethesda Game Studios, that would influence me in getting a Series X.

Couscous

Oct 30, 2017
Twente (The Netherlands)
Dishonered 2 is a top 10 game for me and Prey was just decent. The combat just wasn't good and neither was the story. The last two hours have too much combat with loads of enemies thrown at you.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I'm voting Dishonored, if only because the meta-casting of Stephen Russell as Corvo was a genius move.

Even still, without the stroke of brilliance I probably wouldn't be able to choose. They're both ingeniously designed immersive sims with incredibly different goals. Loved both of them to bits.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I haven't gotten around to playing Dishonored but I'm inclined to say that just based on what I've heard. Prey had some interesting elements but it's deeply, deeply flawed.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I really liked dishonoured 2, and I just started Prey completely blind.

It's kind of neat walking into a game knowing absolutely nothing about it aside from that it's an immersive sim made by Arkane.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Prey gets super boring, super quickly.

The zero gravity zones are also super, super, super awful.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
I picked Dishonored 2 in the end but it was damn close. They're both incredible games. On another day I might have picked Prey.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I much prefer Dishonored 2, the last parts of Prey were so bad I stopped playing (it was excellent leading up to that).

A Crack in the Slab is one of my all time favourite levels in any game, and the Dust District leading into it is also great, where you're trying to find a way into A Crack in the Slab's mansion using the two factions in the district but also have a third option to simply solve a riddle that has key elements swapped around differently each playthrough.

The Clockwork Mansion is also amazing.

Prey's station is an all time great video game setting, but I don't find any particular part of the game outside of the brilliant intro anywhere near as memorable as Dishonored 2 at its best.

Buff Beefbroth

Chicken Chaser
Apr 12, 2018
I don't like Prey at all. Very repetitive, no real way to get dependable stealth kills on enemies, lots of backtracking, extremely irritating zero gravity sections with enemies sniping you from all angles, some puzzle solutions feel contrived or accidental. I was so ready for it to be done. It's just so dry and tedious.

Dishonored 2 was a disappointing step back from the first one (and performance issues on PC when it launched drained a lot of hype for me), but it's still a pretty good game.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
Really hard to choose, these two are among my favorite games released in the last five years or so. They of course share a few similarities, but are so different too, so its hard to compare.

I love the way Talos I is built in Prey, the game is like open-ended 3D Metroidvania where you can choose how to progress, still imbuing all the immersive sim tropes you'd expect

A few of Dishonored 2's levels are the most incredible designed missions I ever played on a game.

Both also have the best skill trees of the last gen, none of that 3-way bs most games have, instead carrying meaningful abilities and character buffs. They also have unremarkable main narratives despite carrying so much great writing in their side stuff.

yeah, its hard to choose but I will go for Prey for its originality, especially comparing it to most AAA games released last gen.

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
Prey is the better game with a more interesting world, and unique setting. Dishonored 2 is an amazing game, but I still feel the original is the better game.

May 26, 2018
Prey. I think Dishonored 2's biggest problem was that it felt like.. I'd been there before, and the game wasn't being built on in meaningful ways. It did have that great Clockwork Mansion level, but that's like an oasis. Prey was consistently pretty darn good and interesting from moment to moment.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Dishonored is tight but Prey is the best immersive sim ever made. That's why I voted for Prey. Now I'm gonna leave the thread before somebody starts making Bioshock comparisons

CobaltBlu

Nov 29, 2017
Prey is too long, it has annoying enemies and too much backtracking for my taste. Arx Fatalis is a better immersive sim from them.

oldzac

Jan 22, 2020
It's Dishonored 2, and it's not particularly close. Prey is far too long with massive brick wall difficulty spikes throughout. Dishonored 2 is tightly crafted and features some of the best level design in gaming.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Prey's environmental storytelling, attention to detail, and systemic/emergent gameplay possibilities absolutely dwarf Dishonored 2's. Every person on the station, alive or dead, leaves footprints for players to discover and piece together. Every work station, every corpse, every turned over chair paints part of the picture.

And interior to exterior, Talos I itself s a master class in three dimensional level design - the best since Dark Souls.
Every word of this post is true.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
Dishonored. Prey was great, but completely broke for me at the end when I was out of resources and ammo and life and basically unable to progress without slowly backtracking through every section of the game scrounging for resources, while dying constantly because I didn't have anything I needed to stay alive. I don't believe there is even a way for that to happen in Dishonored.
See, I was so terrified of this happening that I was just refusing to use ammo in the first place. Constantly trying to handle things with melee, or throwing chairs or whatnot. Because that's how you're supposed to play the game, right? Find those clever solutions where you MacGuyver a trap with the oxygen tanks, or just stealth past the bigger threats until you're badass enough to handle them.

But... it just didn't work out well. I was being too resource-expenditure-averse, and the experience was miserable. I have similar issues with Dishonored (never spending more mana than I can regen), but that game gives you a lot more toys that are free. Blink alone is amazing, and you just have it from the get-go. And once you throw in Detective Vision (or whatever it's called), plus stealth KO's that work against 90% of the baddies you'll face, by the time you're encountering clockwork soldiers and whatnot you're maxed out on ammo and can afford to let loose a bit.

It feels great, even for someone stingy like me.

Maybe I should try Mooncrash? I don't know anything about it other than "Prey, but roguelike," and presumably you can't take your resources with you after you die? I do like roguelikes, and generally can get better about using things there...

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Prey's combat never clicked with me and I found the story to be unrewarding in the end. Definitely prefer Dishonored 2

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
No vote for me, because I didn't play Dishonored 2. I played a bit of Dishonored and sorta bounced off it, but it's still on my list. This is partially thanks to Prey, which was my #2 game of 2017 and definitely that year's biggest surprise for me.

I occasionally wonder what it is about Prey that makes it so polarizing, though. People seem to have wildly varying opinions about the combat, and I think there are too many of them to assume it's just "people don't know how to play the game correctly." To be honest, aside from a few enemies and psuedo-boss encounters, I don't remember having any issues sticking to the human talent tree. Actually, in a way I wonder if Prey's combat is a little bit broken not because it's too difficult, but because it can be too EASY; there are barely any enemies that aren't vulnerable to the humble stun gun. I fully upgraded that thing and leaned on it heavily throughout the whole game, including the final act that so many people hate because of a particular enemy that appears around that time (which, as it turns out, is extremely vulnerable to the stun gun since it's a robot).

I know there are people who try to get through the game using nothing but the shotgun because they think it's just a normal shooter, and yeah that's dumb. But there must be some other class of player who understands the basics of the combat (status effects increase the damage done to enemies, so freeze/shock/etc. enemies before you attack them) but still had problems. I wonder what happened and whether it points to a flaw in Prey's design or not.

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
Dishonored 2 for me. I really wanted to like Prey but it just felt kinda sterile and uninspired. I could never get into the world like I did in Dishonored. Also "A Crack in the Slab" is absolutely genius. I still think about it.

That said, the opening for Prey is top tier.

Cdammen

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Prey is better, but I loved the setting and the set pieces of Dishonored 2, so my vote went for that. Both amazing games.

BlueJay

Oct 27, 2017
Dishonored 2 was brilliant, even better than the first one. Arkane is so good, can't wait for Deathloop on PS5 and can't wait to see what they do with Microsoft.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I liked Prey slightly better, but I think that boiled down to the setting. The first half of Prey really nails down the feeling of horror and paranoia of being trapped in a space station after something horrible happened, and those first few spacewalks are also nerve wrecking. The first time I reached the morgue in Prey I was so distraught because of the atmosphere and the music that I had to turn my PS4 off, something that never happens in games. Prey has an incredible sense of place, and everything is where it ought to be. Playing with the way points off is an incredible experience. Talos is no doubt one of the best locations in videogames. I could probably still run through the place in my mind.

Dishonored 2 is maybe a stronger game through out, and the decadent, faux 19th steam punk Italy vibe is incredible and really unique. It just never grabbed me in the same way Prey did, even if I enjoyed my time with the game immensely, but because of the level based mission structure you never get the sense of place you do with Prey. There's nothing wrong with a game being segmented into missions and I think more games should do it, BTW.

The Clockwork Mansion and the Time warp mansion in Dishonored 2 are probably stronger than anything in Prey, for what it's worth.

Such extraordinary, remarkable games. We were very fortunate to get both last generation.

Last edited:

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
Dishonored 2 crushes Prey for me however dishonored 2 was vastly hampered by launch performance problems on PC due to id tech 5 engine and still it has them. As a game it was way better than prey.

Nigh7

Jun 7, 2020
Brazil
I really liked Prey, but i loved Dishonored (2012) and the sequels (2 and DotO).
would love a sequel to Prey and more Dishonored equally though :)

Oct 25, 2017
While I thoroughly enjoyed both games, I prefer Dishonored 2. Prey wore out its welcome in the final hours. It got to a particular plot point in the last 3rd where I was over it and just wanted the game to end.

That soured me on it.

Neuroxia

Mar 31, 2019
As much as i like Dishonored series, Prey is my go to game. Just freakin' love it.

I hope so much that Microsoft allows them to make a new one.

Apr 23, 2019
Personally I preferred the interconnected world of Prey to the mission-based design of Dishonored 2, but the level design for Dishonored 2 is GOAT material, so it gets the edge for me.

Both are phenomenal though, Arkane is one of the best in the business. Day one for Deathloop.

Neuroxia

Mar 31, 2019
See, I was so terrified of this happening that I was just refusing to use ammo in the first place. Constantly trying to handle things with melee, or throwing chairs or whatnot. Because that's how you're supposed to play the game, right? Find those clever solutions where you MacGuyver a trap with the oxygen tanks, or just stealth past the bigger threats until you're badass enough to handle them.

I completed all my playthrough using mostly only the wrench and gloo gun.
But it wasn't out of the fear of running out of ammo. I did the same exact thing in System Shock 2, so it just fits my style.

Oghuz

Oct 27, 2017
I liked the setting and vibe of Prey way more, but that third act was so bad I can't put it ahead of Dishonored 2. Prey had higher high's but Dishonored 2 is just consistently better.

Retrosmith

Mar 2, 2020
Dishonored was great. Prey was even better.

Still haven't played Dishonored 2.

Hope their next game is related to Prey or a brand new (singleplayer) IP.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Prey's an overall better game. Dishonored 2 I'm wandering around looking for Bone Charms and shit instead of just playing the campaign.

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
Voted Prey as the setting/story was definitely more my thing. Final act felt a bit rushed and unfortunately load times make it feel way worse on console (curious how they are on PS5/XSX cause that's a big boost in Prey's favor).

I love Dishonored 2, wish it was a bit longer but Arkane are the masterclass of the immersive stuff at this stage. BUY DEATHLOOP