• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jem

Oct 25, 2017
How is the game story-wise?
If you're happy to read some emails and listen to some logs etc. then I'd say it's excellent.

A lot of the story telling is done through the environment and your exploration. It's not explicitly told to you through cutscenes etc.

It's an incredibly well realised world and every nook and cranny has something interesting to find out or discover.

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely one of my favorite games of the generation. If the last third didn't devolve into tedious backtracking and the combat was shored up a bit, it would be an all-time classic.

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like the aggressive motion blur from 30fps makes the game look a little bit strange at 60.

Still, it's much much nicer like this.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
This sounds right up my alley but it passed me by last gen. I guess Control and 13 sentinels can just wait a bit longer..

Oct 27, 2017
Breaking the apartment window is one of my favourite gaming moments

I just started playing this tonight and when I did that, I was like woah. This is crazy. It's so cool that so many people are experiencing this game for the first time, like me. Gamepass will do wonders for games like this and many others, where it's going to reach a much bigger audience than it would have otherwise.

shibbs

Oct 30, 2017
This is such an awesome game! One of the highlights of last gen for sure. Play this game people.

Mar 5, 2020
Poland
Definitely not the game's selling point, but it's serviceable. Lot of people didn't liked the ending back then too, but I found it pretty solid.
Prey has a slightly disappointing main component of the story that is redeemed somewhat by the ending you did not see coming. However, I gotta say that minor and secondary characters as well as their side stories are amazingly written. It's a shame the main story isn't.

By the way, playing Prey at 60 FPS on my Xbox Series X is a REVELATORY EXPERIENCE. It just makes me spoiled. This game has no right to feel this good on a console! But it does and I'm thankful for that.

Ser Ignatius

Chicken Chaser
Apr 15, 2020
I started playing this one over the last weekend and it is really cool. The first hour was full of great moments and now I'm just exploring and reading everything. This has been one of the rare games that I would say is worth reading all the little notes and emails you come across, reminds me of Quantum Break in that regard, they add a lot to the story.

Nov 10, 2020
I've been trying to get into Prey, and so far I'm 2.5 hours into it, and still find combat a real struggle. Should I be avoiding encounters until I progress more, or is there something I'm missing?

Any help would be appreciated.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
I cant find fps boost in the settings to see if its on

You might need to do a full restart to get it to show up under the "manage game" option that appears when you press start on a title from the Xbox UI.

news.xbox.com

Five Legendary Bethesda Titles Get the FPS Boost Treatment on Xbox Series X|S Today - Xbox Wire

Hot on the heels of officially welcoming Bethesda’s world-renowned studios to the Xbox family, we’re excited to announce that five of the biggest titles from their vast catalog of games – Dishonored: Definitive Edition, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition, Fallout 4, Fallout 76, and Prey...

At Xbox, we're all about giving you the choice in how you want to play your favorite games, whether in its original form or with FPS Boost and/or Auto HDR. As we also detailed a few weeks back and included as part of our March Platform Update, you can now go into the "Manage Game" section for any enhanced title, where you'll see the new "Compatibility Options" button that will allow you to toggle FPS Boost and Auto HDR "on" or "off."

To see if the game you're playing is running FPS Boost or Auto HDR, you can also now just tap the Xbox Button on your controller while in the game and you'll see a Guide overlay indicator in the upper right corner if the features are enabled or not. To experience FPS Boost for these iconic Bethesda titles, and to be able to toggle the feature on and off, make sure your console has taken the latest update and you've rebooted your console. After that, you're good to go.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I cant find fps boost in the settings to see if its on
If it's on you'll see FPS Boost in the top right when you press the guide, similar to where you see Auto HDR.

Go to Manage Game and then compatibility options on the left and you can toggle it on or off.

I've been trying to get into Prey, and so far I'm 2.5 hours into it, and still find combat a real struggle. Should I be avoiding encounters until I progress more, or is there something I'm missing?

Use the gloo gun to freeze enemies then hit them with the wrench (assuming you don't have a proper gun yet)

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London

That's normal, particularly if you're on hard. At the start you can't easily take on more than one of the big enemies at a time. Don't be afraid to use resources like turrets to help you, and it can be prudent to stealth around hard fights until you're more powerful.

You'll soon start getting more abilities and weapons, and depending on how you spec, you can easily get super OP. Enjoy the scary, difficult part of the game while it lasts!

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
By the way, playing Prey at 60 FPS on my Xbox Series X is a REVELATORY EXPERIENCE. It just makes me spoiled. This game has no right to feel this good on a console! But it does and I'm thankful for that.
That's what 60fps does, yes. To any game actually. Even navigating through menus just feels so much smoother (it feels as it should ).

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
That's what 60fps does, yes. To any game actually. Even navigating through menus just feels so much smoother (it feels as it should ).
I have to say, I find it so interesting how there used to be this almost negative perception of PC gamers because of how some would refuse to play at 30fps and now with these new consoles, more and more I'm seeing the exact same sentiment and feeling from console players.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
I have to say, I find it so interesting how there used to be this almost negative perception of PC gamers because of how some would refuse to play at 30fps and now with these new consoles, more and more I'm seeing the exact same sentiment and feeling from console players.
Absolutely! Although on PC it's even more noticeable I think because controlling a mouse cursor at 30fps is a whole new level of atrocious user experience.

Tommyguns

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Played the first couple hours back on my PS4 pro at release....

Do you think I should play this now on my series X with auto HDR+FPS Boost, or just download it on my PC and play there? Does the PC version look leaps and bounds better? (I would be playing it at 4K on a 4K monitor if I choose the PC route)

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Played the first couple hours back on my PS4 pro at release....

Do you think I should play this now on my series X with auto HDR+FPS Boost, or just I just download it on my PC and play there? Does the PC version look leaps and bounds better? (I would be playing it at 4K on a 4K monitor if I choose the PC route)
Go with PC.

Sep 17, 2020
Playing this on my laptop 3 years after playing it on ps4, still one of the best games ever. No idea what critics were thinking

EpsilonEagle

May 9, 2018
Peachtree City, GA
Mooncrash is amazing in my opinion. It's basically rogue lite Prey, but it works really well. Definitely play it after the main game though.

I originally meant to play Mooncrash after finishing the main game but ended up trying it out and completing it first. It actually works very well as a "training mode" of sorts for the main game since you get access to powers earlier.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Yeah, I remember those being a sticking point in the Digital Foundry analysis. At the time I was going to wait and get an external SSD to try an alleviate the loading, just another of the little "excuses" that'd been keeping me from the game all this time.
Your patience bore fruit in the end. Now you get to experience the best possible console version.
That'd of cut my playtime in half lol.
With all the back and forth required in this game, I can see that, lol.
Wow, game changer! Hopefully it's this fast on PS5 too.
Either way, I've still gotta try Mooncrash. Yet another game to reinstall once I've got the extra space on the new console.
PS5 doesn't load as fast when it comes to backwards compatible titles. There's work to be done in this department.

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Played this game on PC a while ago and it reminded me so much of the System Shock games, loved it. It's a shame this kind of game is so rare and that the remake of System Shock is taking so long to release!

Oct 26, 2017
Such a wonderful game. I actually initially tried the demo and it didn't click with me. I ended up playing it when it was PSNow or PS+, I think? Was hooked instantly. I loved the atmosphere, monsters, and gameplay. I wasn't thrilled about the ending or how each one was triggered but I did love the overall game

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone feel like there's increased shadow pop-in? I don't remember so many shadows popping in and out at such a short distance. Makes me freak out thinking there's a mimic. I've beaten the game on XBox One X and Pro and never noticed it.

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone feel like there's increased shadow pop-in? I don't remember so many shadows popping in and out at such a short distance. Makes me freak out thinking there's a mimic. I've beaten the game on XBox One X and Pro and never noticed it.

It was there in the existing versions, the DF analysis called it out at the time.

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK
I played about half way through this years ago and lost my game save after a format, started again and I have totally forgot how to get into dr Calvino's office or I have broke the game somehow.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Here's how long the loading takes on Series X if anyone is interested:

Night and day difference if you ask me.

Loading saves is even faster than that. Which is huge for a game like Prey. Now Quick Save/Quick Load actually work as intended. You can freely experiment abd reload without suffering 45+ second waits.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
This mod looks great. Will it work with GP?

www.nexusmods.com

Real Lights plus Ultra Graphics Mod

This mod aims to improve graphics and effects: all the lights cast shadows, corrected shadows for the original light sources, ultra view distance, improved particles, improved AO+IL, no texture pop-in

OP
OP
Dancrane212

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
This mod looks great. Will it work with GP?

www.nexusmods.com

Real Lights plus Ultra Graphics Mod

This mod aims to improve graphics and effects: all the lights cast shadows, corrected shadows for the original light sources, ultra view distance, improved particles, improved AO+IL, no texture pop-in

I don't see a tag on the store page saying you can enable mods, I would assume no.

NattyBo

Dec 29, 2017
Washington, DC
Anyone got good tips for getting a solid 60FPS at 4K on PC? I'm holding mostly steady at 60 with my 3080, but still get occasional drops to 50 in weird places (the bathroom in the apartment, for example). Picked this up on Steam based on all the rave reviews around here.

jdawg

Banned
Nov 26, 2020
Prey is perhaps the single best game of the last generation, imo. What a game. The immersive elements just work perfectly. Making you think and craft a solution to each level and enemy. Its how games should be made.

Been playing it on XSX, and yeah. At the moment, it blows away any console game imo. Totally worth getting it for. For me its worth it as a system seller.

Next up Dishonored, which is another cold stone classic. Just straight up. But Prey is just the real deal. A game for ppl who appreciate System Shock in any capacity, and a game for gamers of taste imo.