• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
www.cnn.com

Previously unknown bacteria discovered on the space station could help grow plants

Four strains of bacteria, three of which were previously unknown to science, have been found on the space station -- and these microbes could be used to help grow plants during long-term spaceflight missions in the future.

Four strains of bacteria, three of which were previously unknown to science, have been found on the space station. They may be used to help grow plants during long-term spaceflight missions in the future.

The study published Monday in the journal Frontiers in Microbiology.

The space station is a unique environment because it has been entirely isolated from Earth for years, so a multitude of experiments have been used to study what kind of bacteria is present there.

Eight specific spots on the space station have been continuously checked over the last six years for the presence of microbes and bacterial growth. These areas include modules where hundreds of scientific experiments are carried out; a growth chamber where plants are cultivated; as well as places where the crew comes together for meals and other occasions.

As a result, hundreds of samples of bacteria have been collected and studied, with a thousand more waiting to return to Earth for analysis.

The four strains of bacteria that researchers isolated belong to the Methylobacteriaceae family. The microbes were taken from samples across the space station, during the expeditions of different crews that occurred consecutively.

The new strains may be "biotechnologically useful genetic determinants" to assist with the growth of plants in space, the scientists said in a statement. "To grow plants in extreme places where resources are minimal, isolation of novel microbes that help to promote plant growth under stressful conditions is essential."

"Since these three ISS strains were isolated at different time periods and from various locations, their persistence in the ISS environment and ecological significance in the closed systems warrant further study," the authors wrote in the study.

The Methylobacterium discovered during this study isn't harmful to the astronauts, either.

"Needless to say, the ISS is a cleanly-maintained extreme environment. Crew safety is the number 1 priority and hence understanding human/plant pathogens are important, but beneficial microbes like this novel Methylobacterium ajmalii are also needed."

Given the amount of bacteria found on the space station still awaiting analysis, and the potential for discovering new strains, the researchers hope that molecular biology equipment could be developed to study the bacteria while it's on the space station.

"Instead of bringing samples back to Earth for analyses, we need an integrated microbial monitoring system that collect, process, and analyze samples in space using molecular technologies," the researchers said. "This miniaturized 'omics in space' technology -- a biosensor development -- will help NASA and other space-faring nations achieve safe and sustainable space exploration for long periods of time."

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
oh boy, I hope this doesn't lead to a horror story set in space that will eventually get turned into a movie

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
aliens.jpg

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
Awww hell no, sorry astronauts but you gotta live there now.

FusedAtoms

Jul 21, 2018
Lmao reading the thread title i immediately started thinking of Alien or that Life movie and some crazy sci fi shit

but then I clicked on the article and the title is "Previously unknown bacteria discovered on the space station could help grow plants"
And my reaction changed to "ahhhh that's neat"

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
Oh no

AcceptableCheapCassowary-size_restricted.gif

Seriously, this is very interesting. May be incredible useful for the looks of it

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
..when heartburn suddenly hits for one of the crew at breakfast

Oct 25, 2017
Can we put in spoiler tags or something which movies you true fans are posting here. Thanks to those already labelling!

I thought of Species 2 at first.

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be serious it 99% probably came from earth either surviving the sterilization or from the astro/cosmonauts

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
So what are you guys going to do on your last days on earth

I'm going to listen to MCR all day

Shodan14

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Doesn't the bellybutton contain like dozens of unknown strains of bacteria? Aren't like 90%+ uncatalogued?

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
Can somebody check of "alien Bacteria invasion" is mentioned in these newly discovered dead sea scrolls we had a thread on this week already?