• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aerial51

Apr 24, 2020
It's a safe list but i am happy someone included Rocket Leauge, i don't play it anymore but it was some of the most fun i've had with Friends.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
god fucking dammit! these idiots didn't put [insert game not on the list]??? they are such hacks!!!!

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno, it's not like I can fault it, I really like a lot of games on that list but it just comes across as boring choices to me.

I don't think any of them would be in a top 10 in my persoal list, could be why.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
We've had such a great generation that whittling it down to 10 games seems useless. You could probanly come up with another Top 10 list with all different games and it'd be just as valid as this one.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Good game on the list instead of a bad one. Makes sense to me.

Well I mean if we're going by critical acclaim, it makes perfect sense to not include a game that's among the top 10 most acclaimed games of all time (MC 97), but include a run of the mill open world game that didn't even make the cut for the top 100 (MC 87).
But honestly, Metacritic aside, whatever your issues with RDR2 may be, the game is a gaming milestone in several aspects, whereas Spiderman is one of the many.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Sekiro won Game of the Year last year.

I know that, and so? Parasite won best picture, but how many people do you think of the general viewing public saw it compared to say, Endgame?

Souls Games are mainstream especially when you look around and see how many Triple-A Games were inspired by them.

And as I said, they are nowhere near mainstream AAA levels of popularity. The fact that they slowly gained popularity doesn't really change that. Relative to the typical mainstream AAA game, they are still very much niche. Maybe if the games focused way more on graphics, cutscenes and checklists things would be different.

Last edited:

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
Replace BOTW with Ghost of Tsushima and you have got yourself a great list, Into the Breach deserves a spot too.

Aerial51

Apr 24, 2020
I know that, and so? Parasite won best picture, but how many people do you think of the general viewing public saw it compared to say, Endgame?
Comparing the Oscars to the Game Awards is a false Equation because the Oscars aren't focused on the most popular films. They are mostly a circlejerk event for the old hollywood guard. The Game Awards on the other hand are entirely focused on popular Games.
Just 1 year prior God of War won the Game Awards which would perfectly fit in with your Endgame example lol

And as I said, they are nowhere near mainstream AAA levels of popularity. The fact that they slowly gained popularity doesn't really change that. Relative to the typical mainstream AAA game, they are still very much niche. Maybe if the games focused way more on graphics, cutscenes and checklists things would be different.
Graphics, cutscenes and checklists are such a shallow arguments to discredit any Games but even then. The Souls Series sold 30 million copies mate, with three Games. what the hell would be fast growth in popularity? That's just as much as the God of War Games sold but that Franchise needed like 8 Games to reach that number.
Also look around how many Triple-A Games took Elements from Souls. God of War, AC, Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order. Those Games were inspired by Dark Souls. Almost all Western Games nowadays put their Attack prompts on the Shoulder buttons let you lock on foes with the right analogue stick and are giving you dodge rolls. Star Wars copied the Estus and Checkpoint System.
Do you think if Souls would not be popular that other Developers would do that?

Like sure it's not COD or Fortnite popular but those Games aren't even on that list you critiqued for being only full with popular predictable Triple-A Stuff.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Is this a playstation centered group? Lots of ps4 exclusives and the one people here like the most (bloodborne) isnt present...

Also isnt RDR2 better than all of those games? Sales and critic reception from media and gamers I mean.

How can you conceive a list like this without RDR2? It loses all of its credibility...

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From that list I only played botw, super mario odyssey and witcher 3. So I have no strong opinion expect that Hollow Knight should be on #1.

Is this a playstation centered group? Lots of ps4 exclusives and the one people here like the most (bloodborne) isnt present...

Also isnt RDR2 better than all of those games? Sales and critic reception from media and gamers I mean.

How can you conceive a list like this without RDR2? It loses all of its credibility...

Yea out of all the games on the list, the only one I thought was as good as RDR 2 was Super Mario Odyssey.

Jan 10, 2019
No Bloodborne? Trot along, willya.

source.gif

Mr. Gold

Jul 1, 2019
Spider-Man? Yikes. That game got really exposed after I played BOTW as a soulless boring world.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Drop Breath of the Wild for Bloodborne.

Swap Control out for Astrobot.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
I'd kick Spidey, TLOU2, Control, and Doom Eternal off the list and put Doom 2016, Persona 5, and Bloodborne on. GOW is def not #1.

Ocarina_117

Oct 26, 2017
A lot of "I should play control"

Hope none of you are as disappointed as I am with it!

Solid top 10, though.

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
Hollow knight and celeste are better than just about all of those but their exclusion isn't a surprise whatsoever. I am however surprised at the lack of bloodborne.

Wowzors

The Wise Ones
Oct 27, 2017
Doom eternal is an odd choice. I think Doom 2016 is a better game but I can see it. My other disagree game is Odyssey but that's more of a personal thing, I just can't click with Odyssey. Would probably have replaced it with half life alyx.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Loved DS 1-3 but couldn't get into bloodborne. So no tears from me having it missing. I'd say Mario probably wouldn't make my list either. I finished it but wasn't over joyed with it.

Rocket league is great to see!

Deleted member 79517

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 31, 2020
Is everyone who makes these lists a dad? I can't wrap my head around God of War being considered the best game of this generation.

Chemo

Oct 28, 2017
Can't even begin to consider a top ten list that doesn't have Bloodborne on it. Bloodborne defined the entire generation for me.

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
Really they could've squeezed Days gone, Ghost of Tsushima and Uncharted 4 in somehow. Maybe axing Rocket League, Mario and Zelda.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Agree with the top 3, though I'd probably put TW3 at #1 over GoW. I would remove BOTW, Doom Eternal and Rocket League from the list entirely and put Spiderman at 4, SMO at 5 and slot in Forza Horizon 3/4, Uncharted 4 and Bloodborne in there somewhere.

Plax

Nov 23, 2019
Pretty good list. I'd swap out a few things, but having TLOU2 and God of War in there is a safe bet.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Somehow it didn't quite start feeling like the end of the generation until "best of the generation" lists started cropping up.