• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
It's a great list of games that is for sure, mine would have looked a bit different but that goes for everyone.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Yup, that's a safe-ass list, which is why I almost always tend to prefer personal lists over grouped ones.

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Good list. I would have most of them in my top 10 just a different way round. Not played Control and alot of people said Doom Eternal was worse than Doom 2016 so I didn't bother.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Switch is "next gen" and part of the PS5 generation, not PS4. So Odyssey shouldn't be on the list. We'll be getting new Switch games for 2-3 more years, some of them possibly better than Odyssey, so weird to include half of Switch.

FancyPants

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Why is Mario Odyssey there? Switch is in the PS5 / XSX generation. Wii U was in the PS4 / XBone generation.

TBH, I feel like "generational" lists like these makes no sense since games often also release on PC or even PC first, making the whole point moot. Stardew is one example, Halo Infinite will be another.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I've played 5 of those and finished 3, and of those, I agree on putting The Witcher 3 and The Last of Us Part 2 in a top 10. Personally, I would put Horizon in mine but I can see arguments for it not making a definitive for everyone Top 10 list. Otherwise seems like a good list. Did not finish Spidey or God of War so can't comment on their inclusion and the other 5 I did not play. I should give Control a go though, maybe when I get a PS5 next year.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Without casting any aspersions on any of these games specifically, if nine out of ten of your Games of the Generation are big-budget boxed releases, and the tenth is Rocket League, I think that you need to cast your net wider and sample more of what video games can actually do.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
Rocket League is number 1 for me. Just pure game. Pure great game. You hit play and it plays, no bullshit, just game. Good for playing a quick 5 minutes or a long 5 hours.

Witcher 3 wouldn't even be in my top 20, the combat is just too janky and limited.

Giant Panda

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see Rocket League and Last of Us up there!

Horizon and Spiderman were fun, but they were no where near GOTG level.

Jun 17, 2018
Definitely agree with God of War being the best game this generation. I just loved every minute of the game and adored the story.

I haven't put much thought into other games that would have made it in the top 10 for me.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Western list + Nintendo. Eh.

Safe picks + Control. I'd have shoved Automata in there, and Persona 5 for all its numerous flaws.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Without casting any aspersions on any of these games specifically, if nine out of ten of your Games of the Generation are big-budget boxed releases, and the tenth is Rocket League, I think that you need to cast your net wider and sample more of what video games can actually do.
But maybe that's what you actually like the most? I have played Celeste, Hollow Knight, Undertale, Edith Finch, Gone Home, Hyper Light Drifter, Inside, The Witness and dozens upon dozens of indie darlings this gen but if I were to make a top 10 then none of them would make it. It would be God of War, Dark Souls 3, Bloodborne, The Last Guardian, Sunset Overdrive etc.

The absolute best games in the industry are in my opinion AAA but that doesn't mean I don't love indies. A top 10 only shows your top 10 favorite ones. Maybe their top 100 would contain 50% indies.

Creatchee

Oct 26, 2017
Sarasota, Florida
Shitty list. 80% primarily third-person single player action games from AAA studios. I'm surprised they didn't try to sneak Ghost of Tsushima in.

However, Dad of Boy and TLOU2 certainly belong there, as does Rocket League (which should be higher).

admiraltaftbar

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Control is such a good game. Hopefully it gets more end of the gen love. It's a game that I tell people they should at least give a try because it does what it does so well (even if not everyone will love it).

brenobnfm

Sep 28, 2019
Amazing list, i would only remove Super Mario Odyssey, Rocket League, Doom Eternal, Breath of the Wild and God of War.

oldmess

Oct 18, 2018
The only good thing about this list is the inclusion of Rocket League - even though, as multiplayer game of the gen and best sports game of all time, it should be much higher on the list :)

The rest is all over the place - safe, but at the same time missing other obvious safe choices. Tremendous lack of jrpg representation on a gen that got 2 of the best of the last 10+ years (Persona 5 and DQ XI). Indie games (and other small budget titles) completely disrespected when we had bangers like Celeste, Hollow Knight, Disco Elysium and so on.

Well, it's someone else's opinion, I guess.

AzerPhire

Oct 25, 2017
God of War should not be #1. Pacing wasn't great, story was too simple and the repetitive bosses in a series known for crazy boss fights is a massive disappointment.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
I went from being super flat on God of War to being in the mood for a spectacle/set piece driven adventure and liking it quite a bit. The Immersive Mode that removes all the distracting HUD elements and flashing indicators was transformative, and really helped highlight the 'single shot' structure, which felt inconsequential during my previous stints with the game. That said I'd be hard pressed to put in my Top 20 for the generation.

The list is fine, if not a little boring. But it's going to be tough to put together one that's outright bad. It was an incredible generation.

And Fuckk yeah Doom Eternal. Only Titanfall 2 challenges it for the FPS Crown.

Oct 28, 2017
Rocket League
Breath of the Wild(Wii U game so it's this gen)
Binding of Isaac Rebirth
Sekiro
Astro Bot
Steins Gate
Virtues Last Reward
Red Dead Redemption 2
Spelunky
Celeste

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Sekiro really is a GOAT for me. Just jumping back in for a half hour for the update reminded me how much of a rush the game gives me to play.

But anyway, the list is pretty safe. A little boring. But people like what they like.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
That's a very safe list. I'd argue none of those games really do anything new or interesting compared to something like Disco Elysium, Outer Wilds, Obra Dinn, Into the Breach, or countless other indie titles. But these games did sell well, so I guess that's gotta count for something. It's like those Billboard lists of Best Music of the Decade that come down to "what songs sold the most"...where it's like, I guess that's a metric you can use, but I don't find it to be a very interesting or meaningful one.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
glad rocket league made the list because it's the only game I agree with being on this top 10 game of the gens list.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
I had a fun time with Control but boy do I not get this type of praise for it. Odyssey should be higher!

Domcorleone

Oct 26, 2017
I'll never understand the love affair with control. Remedy hasn't made a great game since Alan Wake. Control is cool

F-Pina

Nerd Monkeys
Verified
Nov 3, 2017
Lisbon
These lists are always controversial, but not having Astrobot and/or Destiny in there is definitely wrong.

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
For a second I thought this thread about Title Screens ("Press Start") and was confused at some of the games posted but yeah it's baffling that there isn't any Souls game listed in this.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
But maybe that's what you actually like the most? I have played Celeste, Hollow Knight, Undertale, Edith Finch, Gone Home, Hyper Light Drifter, Inside, The Witness and dozens upon dozens of indie darlings this gen but if I were to make a top 10 then none of them would make it. It would be God of War, Dark Souls 3, Bloodborne, The Last Guardian, Sunset Overdrive etc.

The absolute best games in the industry are in my opinion AAA but that doesn't mean I don't love indies. A top 10 only shows your top 10 favorite ones. Maybe their top 100 would contain 50% indies.
Hey, I have no problem with an individual thinking that all the best games are AAA- I don't agree, but that's fine for what it is.

When we're talking about video game websites and outlets, though, that's a very different story entirely.

Aerial51

Apr 24, 2020
I'm only about four hours in, but I'm waiting for it to actually start getting good. It sure looks nice enough, but so far it's very dull to actually play. I'm not surprised none of the FromSoftware games made the list though. They are almost all better than 8 out of 10 on that list, but are nowhere near mainstream AAA levels of popularity.
Sekiro won Game of the Year last year.
Souls Games are mainstream especially when you look around and see how many Triple-A Games were inspired by them.

g-m1n1

Oct 27, 2017
Luxembourg
Yeah Bloodborne should be there. I liked Spider-man a lot, but Bloodborne is a better pick.

Solid list, but for me TLOU2 > GoW.

would haver added PREY.