• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
If it's against the rules for the opponent to interrupt the other's answer time then why is their audio feed even being broadcast?

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda wish they'd leave it as is. Let Trump continue to make a fool out of himself.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I do wonder how they can shut off mics effectively, because if you're standing 10 feet from someone and that person is shouting at you while you're making a point, you're going to be able to hear it, but the audience at home won't and you'll just look rattled because you're trying to get your point out while someone is shouting in your ear.

I'm not sure if turning the mics off would work, but I hope they think that through.

Muting mics traditionally hasn't been done because there is some value when someone says something completely ridicuolous to say "That's not true." For instance, Trump saying Biden calls black people super predators. That never happened, Biden has never said that. And Trump keeps saying it, 4 or 5 times, there's value in having Biden be able to say "uhh, I've never said that..." You don't want to enable the liar to liar with impunity and no challenge, especially for the question segments where there isn't a follow-up, they'll save their lies for that moment.

I just don't know how they handle it right where it actually informs people and protects our Democracy. I think it's very dangerous to have a president get a platform to hundreds of millions of Americans where he basically says we have no stable Democracy and voting is irrelevant. Like ... at some point in his diatribe against American democracy, in his statement to "Stand back and stand by" to violent terrorists, you're handing Hitler the megaphone.

Last edited:

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
I would prefer a format instead where...
  • Moderator asks a question
  • Each candidate gets 2-3 minutes to respond, 1-2 minutes of rebuttal.
  • Mics are muted when it's not your turn.

This is what I think should be done, and I'm honestly surprised they haven't done it sooner, as in, a decade+ ago.

I think they'd still run into the issue of people talking past their time though, like during the primaries. They'd need to exercise muting to keep them from going on wild rants after their time is up. Maybe have a timer that mutes automatically 10 seconds after their time is up. Gives the moderator just enough time to say "YOUR TIME IS UP IM SORRY" before they get muted by the computer... not the moderator.

That way they can't claim the moderator is biased and not letting them talk etc.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Wallace was poor a couple times on the questions, but about 95% of it was out of his hands. If one of two parties decides they don't want a debate, and that the moderator doesn't matter, there's nothing the moderator can do about it if there's no mute button. When the drugged up psychopath yelling bullshit on the stage is POTUS, you can't have him physically removed.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
How about they lose speaking time and the other candidate is given that time to speak. The more you speak over the other person, the less time you get for yourself.

OP
OP

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
This is the list of future moderators. To be honest i'm not quite familiar (Or remember) who they are, so not sure if they could handle it better (tools or not)

Vice presidential debate:

Susan Page, Washington Bureau Chief, USA Today
Wednesday, October 7, The University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT

Second presidential debate (town meeting):

Steve Scully, Senior Executive Producer & Political Editor, C-SPAN Networks
Thursday, October 15, Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts, Miami, FL

Third presidential debate:

Kristen Welker, Co-Anchor Weekend TODAY, White House Correspondent, NBC News
Thursday, October 22, Belmont University, Nashville, TN

At least they are not Joe Rogan.....

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Wallace did not do a good job and the fact that he announced beforehand that his intention was to stay out of the candidates' way and that he wouldn't be fact checking opened the door for Trump's bullshit. I bet Trump looked the exact same during his debate prep because he knew that "owning" Biden was better meat for his followers than actually answering questions.

Bubukill

Oct 25, 2017
Panama
Even in my third world country, moderators cut the mics in presidential debates. So how the FUCK was not this considered previously?? Especially when you all had his track record with this kind of debates. We all knew what was coming with someone like Trump, who pretty much is known for interrupting and disrespectng anyone in the room, no matter who.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
This is the list of future moderators. To be honest i'm not quite familiar (Or remember) who they are, so not sure if they could handle it better (tools or not)

Vice presidential debate:

Susan Page, Washington Bureau Chief, USA Today
Wednesday, October 7, The University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT

Second presidential debate (town meeting):

Steve Scully, Senior Executive Producer & Political Editor, C-SPAN Networks
Thursday, October 15, Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts, Miami, FL

Third presidential debate:

Kristen Welker, Co-Anchor Weekend TODAY, White House Correspondent, NBC News
Thursday, October 22, Belmont University, Nashville, TN

At least they are not Joe Rogan.....

Should have Yamiche Alcindor.

Inyourprime

Oct 25, 2017
lol whatever. Donny is just going to elbow through all that shit, whatever they come up with. They needed a moderator to shut him down and Wallace clearly wasn't the one.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If they give the moderators the power to cut the mics Trump probably won't agree to debate, so I don't know if this will actually be implemented.

ElNerdo

Oct 22, 2018
Muting the mic wont help in any way. The man is a loudmouth. He doesn't need a mic to be heard. He'll just yell.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Man, what a shitshow that would be. Woman... and black! Trump's head would literally explode right there on the stage. Actually, on second thought...

But seriously, I would love to see this, since Trump just can't stand her not even a little bit!

I've been watching her career since her Ferguson reporting. She's exactly the no-nonsense style of professional that we need these days.

bdbdbd

Oct 27, 2017
Have Vic Berger moderate with his airhorn.

Add an active referee to fine candidates based on rule violations. Every time Trump tries to speak over Biden during Biden's time, the ref deducts time from Trump and adds it to Biden's overall time.

"This next question goes to you first, Mr. President. You will have 15 seconds to respond and Vice President Biden will have 8 minutes if he so chooses. Or he can bank that for the next question."

Or, you know, do both. Fine them for speaking over the other or going overtime and use the airhorn for every 30 seconds they violate the rules.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"and Biden shot back with insults"

FUCK THIS BOTH SIDES BULLSHIT

Trump is the problem. Biden is NOT the problem or even a small part of the problem. PERIOD.

MattEnth

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA
This is what I think should be done, and I'm honestly surprised they haven't done it sooner, as in, a decade+ ago.

Yeah, I'm also surprised.

One other thing that I really enjoyed from the debate last night:

There was no engaged audience. Other than the opening applause, it was just the three men the entire time.

I think one reason Trump came off as more obnoxious than 2016 was the lack of an audiences' boos, cheers, oooooooooooo, applause, etc.

I hope they never bring back audiences.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Yeah, I'm also surprised.

One other thing that I really enjoyed from the debate last night:

There was no engaged audience. Other than the opening applause, it was just the three men the entire time.

I think one reason Trump came off as more obnoxious than 2016 was the lack of an audiences' boos, cheers, oooooooooooo, applause, etc.

I hope they never bring back audiences.

Agreed. The nation is the only audience that matters. This is not a town hall.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm tired of this "both sides" bs. Fucking losers go to move. One side causes commotion and ruckus and that means it's "both sides". Understand and comprehend the situation you dumb fucks

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
TRUMP DOES NOT NEED
A MICROPHONE
CoordinatedWelcomeJumpingbean-size_restricted.gif

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
Have Vic Berger moderate with his airhorn.

Add an active referee to fine candidates based on rule violations. Every time Trump tries to speak over Biden during Biden's time, the ref deducts time from Trump and adds it to Biden's overall time.

"This next question goes to you first, Mr. President. You will have 15 seconds to respond and Vice President Biden will have 8 minutes if he so chooses. Or he can bank that for the next question."

Or, you know, do both. Fine them for speaking over the other or going overtime and use the airhorn for every 30 seconds they violate the rules.

I seriously think this is the best idea, but I doubt the parties would agree to it.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
It was a shit show, and Wallace lost a lot of respect from people
Honestly, what can Wallace have done? Trump is a belligerent asshole.

There are expectations of decorum in a debate. If you can't follow them, your opponent should refuse because then it is not a debate.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Everytime you interrupt your mic volume gets turned down a tad. 10 minutes into the debate we won't hear from that fuck anymore.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
How about they lose speaking time and the other candidate is given that time to speak. The more you speak over the other person, the less time you get for yourself.

Wouldnt matter because Trump would still talk above his allocated time

Just mute the mics, warn them there time is up so they can quickly wrap up there comment in 5-10 seconds, then the mics go on mute. Thats it

Oct 25, 2017
How about a trap door?
Give the next moderator a nerf gun to fire at Trump when he won't stop talking
Every time Trump interrupts someone, he has to hug one of his sons.
An anvil hanging by a rope over their heads would suffice.
GloomyCanineIntermediateegret-size_restricted.gif

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait for Trump to get muted and then he continues trying to talk over Biden anyway. Because let's be honest here: Trump doesn't actually know how to shut the fuck up.