• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I will never understand why people want a pardon for Snowden.

If I were president, I wouldn't say dick about it, then I'd pardon Snowden, and never talk about it again. I think history is going to (or already has) vindicate Snowden, and condemn Assange. I may be naive, but I think that Snowden has benevolent intentions with revealing the depth of America's domestic spying program. Assange and Wikileaks, on the other hand, have basically operated as a non-government intelligence service that pursues a far right wing, fascist agenda but wraps itself in the flag of transparency.

Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
2 wrongs don't make a right. You can bet that an American dictator will be completely unhinged, bombing foreign adversaries into oblivion. So you have that to look forward to if it ever comes to fruition.

2 wrongs don't make a right. You can bet that an American dictator will be completely unhinged, bombing foreign adversaries into oblivion. So you have that to look forward to if it ever comes to fruition.
I'm just confused that you don't get that the fact that he is dangerous scum changes nothing about the validity of the charges. Like fuck him, i hope he rots in Swedish jail.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
😂😂😂
it'd be a great bit if it weren't depressingly sincere!
Fantastic news, even though Trump almost certainly does it for petty, dumb reasons (probably because it will piss some people he hates).
The prosecution of Assange by America was fucking gross, and I think anyone who think it was about anything other than the fact that help exposed American war crimes is extremely extremely naïve.

Now do Snowden.

100%

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just confused that you don't get that the fact that he is dangerous scum changes nothing about the validity of the charges. Like fuck him, i hope he rots in Swedish jail.
I'm not confused about the validity of what he's unveiled. But he's also provided foreign assistance in getting a wanna be dictator elected. He could have stopped at the first part and I would have been fine with what he's done previous. I'm totally fine with what Snowden has done. He seems like a person who is truly trying to do good instead of one cynically trying to install tyrant.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Assange is an actual white supremacist who wants to empower white supremacy
America didn't go after Assange because he's racist, we went after him because he helped exposed our war crimes.
I think cheering for America to go so aggressively against people who report on stuff that make our military looks bad is a bad idea, regardless of how nice those people are.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
America didn't go after Assange because he's racist, we went after him because he helped exposed our war crimes.
I think cheering for America to go so aggressively against people who report on stuff that make our military looks bad is a bad idea, regardless of how nice those people are.

Assange is not a reporter.

He literally selectively uses what he gets to advance a white supremacist vision

Kongroo

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, CA
No, neither of them do.

Hard disagree. I'm less informed on what Assange did but Snowden is a goddamn patriot.

The surveillance shit that Snowden and Greenwald exposed is one of the most important leaks of information in US history. Let's not undermine that achievement. The repercussions of mass surveillance go much farther than personally liking or disliking a single person.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yes, and? All three are just as bad as each other.

Both sides, both sides.

The surveillance shit that Snowden and Greenwald exposed is one of the most important leaks of information in US history. Let's not undermine that achievement. The repercussions of mass surveillance go much farther than personally liking or disliking a single person.

Perhaps Trump will give Greenwald the Presidential Medal of Freedom. It has to be a possibility.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Assange is not a reporter.

He literally selectively uses what he gets to advance a white supremacist vision
I didn't say he was, Chelsea Manning wasn't a reporter either and the US went after her for exactly the same reason - making America's wars looks bad.

I think you are ignoring why the US went after him, and I think that's a mistake.

Daphne

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Fantastic news, even though Trump almost certainly does it for petty, dumb reasons (probably because it will piss some people he hates).
The prosecution of Assange by America was fucking gross, and I think anyone who think it was about anything other than the fact that help exposed American war crimes is extremely extremely naïve.

Now do Snowden.
I agree on him being pardoned for exposing US war crimes like the collatoral murder video. The reason I dislike Assange so much is because he betrayed the cause of whistleblowing that he and Wikileaks purported to stand for. They really fucked things up for everyone being the most visible in that fight. They became nothing more than a partisan hack organisation that withheld inconvenient information and worked hard to get Trump elected. Assange is a racist too, and supports Trumpian white supremacy. This is before getting into his Ukraine fuckery. He is clearly a Russian stooge at this point and anything from Wikileaks can no longer be trusted.

The greatest blow to the cause of transparency and whistleblowing was from Wikileaks and Assange who discredit it.

Trump is pardoning him because, through Stone, who he also pardoned, he worked with Assange to criminally influence his own election in cooperation with Russia (who hacked the material Assange handled in the first place).

Last edited:

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't say he was, Chelsea Manning wasn't a reporter either and the US went after her for exactly the same reason - making America's wars looks bad.

I think you are ignoring why the US went after him, and I think that's a mistake.

No I'm aware

I just don't think he's worth cheering for

Deleted member 82064

Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Can somebody explain if the US charges against him actually had any merit? Everything I have read about the issue makes the case against him seem total horse shit. He might be useful idiot for Putin and his army of hackers but doesn't deserve to spend rest of his life in jail for it.

Now Trump should do Manning and Snowden.

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
Assange's charging was super iffy to begin with, and I honestly think it wouldn't have happened under any other President/AG.

Snowden isn't getting pardoned by Trump, because he didn't help Trump.

Jul 24, 2020
OK, cool. Trump gets rid of his team to combat hackers, then the US gets hacked, then he pardons a hacker. Come on in, Russia, woooo!!!

Not sure what you mean here. If you're talking about countries hacking each other.... you do realise that happens all the time right? Both ways. If anything the United States is probably the most sophisticated and malicious of them all.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Assange's charging was super iffy to begin with, and I honestly think it wouldn't have happened under any other President/AG.
It was iffy but also scary.
They went after him with the Espionage Act, and people can say "he's not a journalist" all they want, but a conviction could have set an extremely scary legal precedent (depending on how it's worded obviously).

I am happy to not worry about that shit, especially with the courts filled with Trump clowns, we got some bad bad precedents in recent years going after whistleblowers already.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't just that. Because he could've leaked files pertaining or relating to that.

He didn't sort organize or filter.

He dumped everything he had access to, including things not remotely related to the spying. endangering western operatives world wide, and giving access to sources and methods.

Then he fled to Russia.

He isn't reality winner. Reality winner owned what she did, leaked things specifically pertaining to the subject.

Snowden is a traitor. Yes he revealed the spying, good. But he revealed way more than just that program. And fled to a hostile power.

Bullshit. He tried to go to South America, but the US government strong armed and straight out threatened many countries that he asked asylum.

The only country that didn't gave a shit about the state department threats was Russia making it his only choice.

Snowden being on Russia wasn't his choice.

I'm not happy about the Assange pardon but if that gets Snowden one I'm OK with it. Guy is a hero.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Hard disagree. I'm less informed on what Assange did but Snowden is a goddamn patriot.

He's not. But, that's a whole other topic.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Any other corroboration of this yet? It's been an hour or so, still not seeing it out of WaPo or NYT. Usually Haberman or someone at the Post would be on this first.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Who cares? America is just as corrupt as any place on earth. Reveal it all.
Assange made it worse though by helping Trump. Our bombing campaigns expanded, and civilian deaths from the U.S. skyrocketed. Assange directly helped the Trump campaign as Trump talked about how he wanted to kill more civilians.

Deleted member 82064

Banned
Sep 29, 2020
Bullshit. He tried to go to South America, but the US government strong armed and straight out threatened many countries that he asked asylum.

The only country that didn't gave a shit about the state department threats was Russia making it his only choice.

Snowden being on Russia wasn't his choice.

I'm not happy about the Assange pardon but if that gets Snowden one I'm OK with it. Guy is a hero.
Yeah, people forget that US forced Evo Morale's plane to land in Austria so they could search it.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
It was iffy but also scary.
They went after him with the Espionage Act, and people can say "he's not a journalist" all they want, but a conviction could have set an extremely scary legal precedent (depending on how it's worded obviously).

I am happy to not worry about that shit, especially with the courts filled with Trump clowns, we got some bad bad precedents in recent years going after whistleblowers already.
Yeah, Assange being a horrible fake journalist doesn't mean we don't have severe systemic problems that need fixed. We shouldn't even be torturing and doing what we do to the worst of the worst murderers. I'm totally fine with him not being extradited here for trial, let Sweden have him if they wish to push on with the rape case. I just don't think he should get a permanant "get out of jail free" card for his crimes.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
This isn't a thing where there are two sides to a situation. The way the US conducted Mass Surveillance was wrong and Snowden was right to expose it.

There's nothing more patriotic than exposing a government's abuse of power.

Snowden didn't just leak the mass surveillance program. Had the idiot simply done that then we could throw around "patriot" labels. His dumbass did more than that, he basically leaked anything and everything he could get his hands on including US spying operations on foreign governments. You know, the very thing intelligence agencies are supposed to be doing. He exposed and compromised many of those intelligence efforts because he's an idiot libertarian who admitted that he took the contracting job specifically to find things he thought were interesting from these intelligence agencies to leak.

Somehow this popular belief took hold that he was some noble contractor who stumbled upon the spying program and as a true patriot leaked it to the press when the government refused to listen. The reality is that he always intended to leak to the press, he was merely looking for things he thought would be most juicy and came upon the surveillance. He then leaked it along with every other possible thing he could get his hands on.

Amnixia

â–² Legend â–²
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018

Well, that ends the threat I guess

Oh absolutely not. Just like, damn, gotta figure ya running around unchecked and secretly rooting for a Trump like figure and all he's done these past 4 years has been him shitting on you and making you heel to his will. Hate to see it.

Exactly, these agencies have fucked shit up around the world. Killed civil leaders and flooded the streets with drugs to fuel their illegal wars.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Snowden didn't just leak the mass surveillance program. Had the idiot simply done that then we could throw around "patriot" labels. His dumbass did more than that, he basically leaked anything and everything he could get his hands on including US spying operations on foreign governments. You know, the very thing intelligence agencies are supposed to be doing. He exposed and compromised many of those intelligence efforts because he's an idiot libertarian who admitted that he took the contracting job specifically to find things he thought were interesting from these intelligence agencies to leak.

Somehow this popular belief took hold that he was some noble contractor who stumbled upon the spying program and as a true patriot leaked it to the press when the government refused to listen. The reality is that he always intended to leak to the press, he was merely looking for things he thought would be most juicy and came upon the surveillance. He then leaked it along with every other possible thing he could get his hands on.
Every single time one of our spy agencies got caught blatantly breaking the law (and the NSA did, in grotesque ways) they swear that the the real problem is that they got exposed rather than the crimes they did, and that this will now cause irreparable harm to the security of the nation and will cost lives. And they always just ask us to believe them, because classified.

If you look historically, those claims are pretty much never true.
I suspect in 30 years it will be very very hard to point to Americans who lost their lives because of Snowden.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
Trump isn't going to do any of the shit he's threatening to do. He's just throwing a tantrum.

I was hoping he would pardon Snowden tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.