• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Very stable fuckhead. The stablest.

www.usatoday.com

As Trump touts increased production, coronavirus swabs made during his Maine factory tour will be tossed in the trash

Trump's trip to Maine is the latest effort the White House is making to call attention to companies that are responding to the coronavirus pandemic.

President Donald Trump traveled to Maine Friday to tour a facility that makes medical swabs used for coronavirus testing, but the swabs manufactured in the background during his visit will ultimately be thrown in the trash, the company said.

Puritan Medical Products said it will have to discard the swabs, a company spokeswoman told USA TODAY in response to questions about the visit.

480f1f0c-2fc6-4e88-9425-b1cd7d710bdb-AP_Virus_Outbreak_Trump_1.jpg

It is not clear why the swabs will be scrapped, or how many. The company described its manufacturing plans for Friday as "limited" – but the disruption comes as public health officials in Maine and other states have complained that a shortage of swabs has hampered their ability to massively scale up coronavirus testing.

Workers in white lab coats, hair nets and plastic booties worked at machines making swabs while the president walked through the room. Trump, who did not wear a mask for the visit, stopped at one point to talk with some of the workers.

"The running of the factory machines is very limited today and will only occur when the president is touring the facility floor," Virginia Templet, the company's marketing manager told USA TODAY in response to questions about the event. "Swabs produced during that time will be discarded."

National shortages of swabs was part of what severely hampered early coronavirus testing efforts.

Puritan, which received millions of dollars from the federal government to double production, is one of only two companies that make the kind of swabs needed in coronavirus testing.

Nearly a third of Maine nursing homes reported last month they had no nasal swabs to collect specimens, the Portland Press Herald reported. Nearly 61% of those that responded to a Maine Medical Directors Association survey said they had seven or fewer at their disposal.

"Made in the USA. I've been saying it for a long time," Trump said.

The White House did not respond to questions about the swabs.

Not enough swabs for testing, but we're going to pretend to operate for a day, then throw away those swabs, so President Dipshit can get his circle-jerk photo op in.

America, Fuck Yeah!

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017
It could almost be amusing how dumb this man is if it wasn't the president and it wasn't about a pandemic and people's lives

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
Here in Maine, right wingers have been giving our governor Janet Mills shit for her response to COVID. The line is basically "she's using it as a money grab," as if she's lining her own pockets somehow when mostly the extra budget she's requested has gone to increasing testing capacity. But of course, none of those people have jack shit to say about him causing money and time to be wasted

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
America, something is seriously wrong with how you guys elect Presidents.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Am I reading this right??

They produced these tests FOR Trump's visit and knowing that these would be destroyed afterward? If Trump wouldn't have visited they wouldn't have produced any tests to begin with?

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
I hate how every picture of this man has to have all the people looking admirably at Trump or laughing like he's so amusing.

Very North Korea like.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how so many make fun of Biden's mental hurdles and slow speech when even he would know to wear a mask in a fucking test facility.

lennylightspeed

Prophet of Truth
Jul 21, 2019
It's gotta be on me that I'm still surprised each time one of these stories comes out, right? Like, how could I have not possibly guessed this would be a thing. I just need to mentally prepare for two weeks from now when he bans croutons from salads as some BLM counter and recommends vinegar rectal cleanses.

Oct 25, 2017
Am I reading this right??

They produced these tests FOR Trump's visit and knowing that these would be destroyed afterward? If Trump wouldn't have visited they wouldn't have produced any tests to begin with?
I don't read anything that indicates they would have shut down on Friday if the President wasn't going to be there. Presidential visit are typically disruptive, so I would imagine they shut down beforehand to accommodate security sweeps and shut down after to clean up after Bunker Boy, who almost certainly has or had the rona.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017
Wouldn't be surprised if his excuse for not wearing a mask is "god is protecting me".

Deleted member 3812

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017