• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017
Because for years now, Biden has been telling everyone as President he was uniquely positioned to work with moderate Republicans to tackle these sorts of issues, and that he could break the Senate deadlock, because of who he was and what he represented.

This was his whole pitch for why he should be President. This was his raison d'etre.
Name a president who won the White House that didn't say that. The GOP will not negotiate on this issue, even moderates. If you thought he was really going to get the GOP to act human then you really deluded yourself.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Imagining living through the Obama years and thinking it would work. People warned him. And now he is reducing to begging.

Go tell this to Joe Biden who told everyone Republicans would go back to normal once Trump lost lol

You live in a world of extremes. It's okay for Joe Biden to be wrong and a middle of the road kind of guy. He's at least not a fucking demon. I wish he could do more.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
Name a president who won the White House that didn't say that. The GOP will not negotiate on this issue, even moderates. If you thought he was really going to get the GOP to act human then you really deluded yourself.
Nice whataboutism that completely ignores the fact that we just dealt with Trump for 4 years and needed an actual fucking god damn leader and pusher for social justice for once.

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017
Nice whataboutism that completely ignores the fact that we just dealt with Trump for 4 years and needed an actual fucking god damn leader and pusher for social justice for once.
If you thought a Biden presidency was going to stop gun culture in the U.S., I don't even know what to say to that because it's absurd.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
"You're deluded if you thought this would be the one time a democratic president acted like a social progressive" god I love being associated with some of y'all that was sarcastic btw

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
If you thought a Biden presidency was going to stop gun culture in the U.S., I don't even know what to say to that because it's absurd.
No single presidential administration can single handedly tackle the entire gun culture issue, Jesus fuck. Stop assuming so much you'll make more of an ass of yourself. Maybe we, social progressives, can expect our fucking nominee to stop trying to play ball with the GOP. The guys who WANT GUN CULTURE TO STAY. It takes one fucking step, dude. One step at a time. The first step is to acknowledge the GOP as our enemies and not our fucking allies. Biden wants to olive branch to them, and that actively hinders the social progressive movement. If Biden can lay a small foundation even, we can be at the precipice of true change once an even more progressive president takes over and HAS MORE TO WORK WITH.

bshark

Banned
Jun 25, 2018
Speech came off like a wet fart. This whole presidency has been shockingly insignificant.

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017
No single presidential administration can single handedly tackle the entire gun culture issue, Jesus fuck. Stop assuming so much you'll make more of an ass of yourself. Maybe we, social progressives, can expect our fucking nominee to stop trying to play ball with the GOP. The guys who WANT GUN CULTURE TO STAY. It takes fucking step, dude. One step at a time. The first step is to acknowledge the GOP as our enemies and not our fucking allies. Biden wants to olive branch to them, and that actively hinders the social progressive movement. If Biden can lay a small foundation even, we can be at the precipice of true change one an even more progressive president takes over and HAS MORE TO WORK WITH.
What is the small foundation? I'd love to hear the defintion.

VeryHighlander

The Fallen
May 9, 2018
User Banned (3 Days): Hostility; Prior Ban for Hostility
Ok, he comes out and says "The GOP is Satan reincarnate!" Great, that will make you feel good but it changes nothing.
I see you're at this point of the circular argument we'll be having. So we can just agree to disagree. And I can call you a fucking moron in the meantime.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Actually yes he should have said the bolded before the election instead of telling people Republicans were wonderful and would be good again once Trump lost.

That's not what he was saying. It sounds outdated to us, but poll after poll show that the giant silent majority of Americans want, or at least claim to want, bipartisanship. Pandering to those people is not a losing strategy, and Biden wouldn't be disappointing us now if Trump were still president.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Loving the new Dem slogan "We can't do anything and even if we did it wouldn't work". So fucking psyched! Love to live life in the world!

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
That's not what he was saying. It sounds outdated to us, but poll after poll show that the giant silent majority of Americans want, or at least claim to want, bipartisanship. Pandering to those people is not a losing strategy, and Biden wouldn't be disappointing us now if Trump were still president.

If your argument is Biden lied and pandered to win, and only cared about being elected and knew the Republicans would never work with him, I can definitely entertain that argument.

However, it makes me think of his Presidency as no less of a failure.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
People here have expectations, but no path to meet them. You can scream at Republicans all you want, call them every name in the book. Dems have been doing that for ages now and it doesn't Suddenly solve the issues. People think that this time we show people how bad Republicans are they'll magically get with the program they've ignored for decades? The only thing that fixes this is more democrats willing to do the work than Republicans and Democrats who aren't. That's it. That's the fix. There's no depth that Republican lawmakers won't sink to and no Republican base that will punish them for it.

If your argument is Biden lied and pandered to win, and only cared about being elected and knew the Republicans would never work with him, I can definitely entertain that argument.

However, it makes me think of his Presidency as no less of a failure.

People didn't vote thinking that Biden would fix everything. They voted Trump out. In that meager measurement, Biden has exceeded expectations.

I wanted Warren, but she'd be just as stonewalled. (we'd probably be better on student loan relief tho)

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
The education system in this country does it's damndest to make sure folks become good, productive workers. Not well informed thinkers who understand how our government functions. Education in this country is sadly broken, and in need of a lot of work.

But it's broken and underfunded by design.
Be that as it may, my kid is in school right now and he has to take government so I know folks in here who made it through high school AND college had to take it too and don't have any fucking excuse for saying half the dumb shit we see on a weekly basis here when it comes to how the government works on a basic level. They know better or they're just stupid. And I don't believe that the majority of the folks posting here are stupid.

Booshka

Banned
May 8, 2018
Colton, CA
People here have expectations, but no path to meet them. You can scream at Republicans all you want, call them every name in the book. Dems have been doing that for ages now and it doesn't Suddenly solve the issues. People think that this time we show people how bad Republicans are they'll magically get with the program they've ignored for decades? The only thing that fixes this is more democrats willing to do the work than Republicans and Democrats who aren't. That's it. That's the fix. There's no depth that Republican lawmakers won't sink to and no Republican base that will punish them for it.
Which is why Dems should ignore the GOP as a lost cause and actively harmful to the American populace. Run on issues that have consensus and whip your party into supporting it, if they don't and coddle around with the GOP and/or their donors then strip them of committee assignments, primary them, and expose them as frauds.

The GOP does this to their party, and have a consensus that the Dems are the enemy, meanwhile Biden considers McConnell rational and won't call out Manchin or Sinema by name.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
They aren't remotely the main reasons this doesn't pass, or really any piece of legislation that needs 60 votes. You're blaming the wrong people out of some weird focus on intra-party fighting and finger pointing.
So who is to blame, and what can actually be done about it? It seems like no matter the makeup of government, republicans can pass the shittiest things across and dems just sort of show us the problem and say how they can't do anything. I legit try to make sense of anything of this convoluted system and it always comes out to the left can't get anything passed ever, and the right can pass anything whenever.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Be that as it may, my kid is in school right now and he has to take government so I know folks in here who made it through high school AND college had to take it too and don't have any fucking excuse for saying half the dumb shit we see on a weekly basis here when it comes to how the government works on a basic level.

To be fair, they just had 4 years of a President that defied convention, treating the Justice Department like he runs it, etc. I'm not too chuffed that people expect the other side to do it too.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Which is why Dems should ignore the GOP as a lost cause and actively harmful to the American populace. Run on issues that have consensus and whip your party into supporting it, if they don't and coddle around with the GOP and/or their donors then strip them of committee assignments, primary them, and expose them as frauds.

The GOP does this to their party, and have a consensus that the Dems are the enemy, meanwhile Biden considers McConnell rational and won't call out Manchin or Sinema by name.

I agree with all that except that if we primaried Manchin like that for instance, it would be Republicans in control of the Senate and not Kamala breaking ties. The rest I'm all for.

Booshka

Banned
May 8, 2018
Colton, CA
I agree with all that except that if we primaried Manchin like that for instance, it would be Republicans in control of the Senate and not Kamala breaking ties. The rest I'm all for.
Ya it's a terrible senate map, which is why DC statehood and Puerto Rico would be nice, electoralism benefits square miles and not people in this country.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
People didn't vote thinking that Biden would fix everything. They voted Trump out. In that meager measurement, Biden has exceeded expectations.

The problem with this sort of real politick is it just shallow.

Low expectations for Biden are just going to sweep Trump back into office in 2024. It recreates the conditions which produced him.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
The problem with this sort of real politick is it just shallow.

Low expectations for Biden are just going to sweep Trump back into office in 2024. It recreates the conditions which produced him.

That's kind of backwards thinking. If everyone had low expectations for Joe then he'd be a lock for meeting them. :p

I'm not arguing it doesn't have it's problems, but that's just the reality of how we got here. That doesn't mean I don't want better but we shouldn't pretend that Biden ever got in with some kind of mandate.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
It's sad that universal background checks and raising the age to 21 could slow this down...but it's impossible. I just learned the deadliest mass shootings are by people 21 years or younger...and obtaining a firearm legally. It's basic shit.

Booshka

Banned
May 8, 2018
Colton, CA
It's sad that universal background checks and raising the age to 21 could slow this down...but it's impossible. I just learned most mass shootings are by people 21 years or younger...and obtaining a firearm legally. It's basic shit.
Ya males 16-24 is the most violent demographic. I think upping the age to 25 would be best for prefrontal cortex development but most people don't even have a concept of emerging adulthood and full brain development being that late. Except for car rental agencies lol

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
It's sad that universal background checks and raising the age to 21 could slow this down...but it's impossible. I just learned most mass shootings are by people 21 years or younger...and obtaining a firearm legally. It's basic shit.

The Uvalde guy allegedly tried to get his sister to buy him a rifle when he was 17 but she wouldn't so he had to wait until he was 18 to buy the gun. If the law was still 21, they'd have had 3 more years to figure him out or maybe get him help.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Era: Do something.

Biden: Okay, what?

Era: I don't know, something.

Biden: What is it that I can do?

Era: SOMETHING!

You shouldn't have to personally tell your President what it is he should be doing. You vote him in on the assumption that he knows more about the job than you do and will thus have something up his sleeve beyond "Do nothing". This was exactly how Biden sold himself to voters on the campaign trail, if you'll remember, as the one guy who knows how to play the game and can get things done.

Gotta say, "He can't do anything so he shouldn't try" and "I'd like to see your fully costed political plan for how to do things differently" are about neck-and-neck for the most galling things that are posted constantly in these threads.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Just wait a few more years if nothing changes. In a couple years, once mass production of the military's XM5 is well on its way it will drive the semi-auto civilian version, the Sig MCX Spear and its ammo prices way down to something more affordable and ammo widely available than the $8,000 the rifle currently is and when that happens it'll be only a matter of time until some shit stain kills a whole bunch of innocent people with it and people are going to see the level of destruction a real high power semi-auto rifle/ammo is capable of. It's going to be too gruesome for even the GOP and NRA to sweep under the rug.

We need universal background checks (though ideally without a registry because that presents other potential problems), private seller/gunshow loopholes closed with requiring checks there too and red flag laws for people who have already been found guilty of violent acts, assault, domestic violence (and protection orders) or cruelty to animals, ect. We're not going to be stop the sale of firearms and what we can do needs to be done in a way that it can't be abused to stop someone, most likely minorities from buying them either because that's traditionally how they got passed.

Last edited:

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
You shouldn't have to personally tell your President what it is he should be doing. You vote him in on the assumption that he knows more about the job than you do and will thus have something up his sleeve beyond "Do nothing". This was exactly how Biden sold himself to voters on the campaign trail, if you'll remember, as the one guy who knows how to play the game and can get things done.

Gotta say, "He can't do anything so he shouldn't try" and "I'd like to see your fully costed political plan for how to do things differently" are about neck-and-neck for the most galling things that are posted constantly in these threads.

What ridiculous logic and people hide behind it all the time rather than admit that they have unrealistic expectations. "Well we shouldn't have to tell him what to do, he should just do it." There's no "FIX GUNS" rubber stamp on the president's desk.

People have expectations, but no path to meet them. No one is saying you should have to personally tell the president what it is he should be doing, but they should be able to understand when there isn't a path to fix it in the president's powers.

Better to pretend the president isn't willing to try to fix the problem than to admit that a fix isn't in his scope of ability.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
You shouldn't have to personally tell your President what it is he should be doing
This is how I feel. We elect all of our officials on the assumption that they are the experts of navigating politics and law, and thus are the most capable of carrying out the desires of the constituents who voted them in.

If my representatives are asking me for help, the only conclusion is that we're fucked.

Creepy Woody

Nov 11, 2017
Australia
I find it incredibly sad that an elected leader of the people cannot change who REALLY runs a country in the background while tragedy occurs on a daily basis. Incredibly sad.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
What ridiculous logic and people hide behind it all the time rather than admit that they have unrealistic expectations. "Well we shouldn't have to tell him what to do, he should just do it." There's no "FIX GUNS" rubber stamp on the president's desk.

People have expectations, but no path to meet them. No one is saying you should have to personally tell the president what it is he should be doing, but they should be able to understand when there isn't a path to fix it in the president's powers.

Better to pretend the president isn't willing to try to fix the problem than to admit that a fix isn't in his scope of ability.

The part we disagree on isn't that he can't do anything, it's that he shouldn't try. Call me naive, but I think he should try. I believe he should be doing things even if they won't ultimately fix the problem. Sign executive orders even if the Supreme Court will shoot them down. Name names of politicians taking NRA money even if it won't make a difference. Whip his party into shape. Make deals. Inspire. Use his platform as the man who appears on your TV every single day to bang the drum and keep the issue in the public conscious in perpetuity. Think of the kinds of things that the great Presidents throughout history might do, and do those things, even if they won't make guns go away overnight. Try. Go down in history as the guy who gave it a shot.

Again, call me hopelessly naive, but I tend to think that if a politician doesn't fight for something it just means they don't care very much about that thing. I don't think I could sleep at night if I was President right now and I was just Tweeting "thoughts & prayers, someone should do something :(". Then again, Biden does a whole lot of things I think would keep me up at night, so maybe that's not a problem for him.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I'm old enough to remember when LBJ put the fear of god in his party to get their votes, but Joe isn't gonna do that to Joe.

All these circular arguments to avoid the truth that change is fundamentally impossible under a Senate.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
The part we disagree on isn't that he can't do anything, it's that he shouldn't try. Call me naive, but I think he should try. I believe he should be doing things even if they won't ultimately fix the problem. Sign executive orders even if the Supreme Court will shoot them down. Name names of politicians taking NRA money even if it won't make a difference. Whip his party into shape. Make deals. Inspire. Use his platform as the man who appears on your TV every single day to bang the drum and keep the issue in the public conscious in perpetuity. Think of the kinds of things that the great Presidents throughout history might do, and do those things, even if they won't make guns go away overnight. Try. Go down in history as the guy who gave it a shot.

Again, call me hopelessly naive, but I tend to think that if a politician doesn't fight for something it just means they don't care very much about that thing. I don't think I could sleep at night if I was President right now and I was just Tweeting "thoughts & prayers, someone should do something :(". Then again, Biden does a whole lot of things I think would keep me up at night, so maybe that's not a problem for him.

I mean, he is trying. That's what tonight was, as weaksauce as it was. I hope he keeps trying. I want him to do more.

Even though I know the only way we move forward is getting more democrats into Congress willing to work toward those goals than there are democrats and republicans not willing to work toward those goals. That's it. That's the fix. Without numbers we don't end the filibuster, we don't pack the courts (even if Biden wanted to), we don't get DC statehood. We don't get any of the tools for further movement until we get the numbers in Congress.

So right now trying means getting people to the polls, and as much as I want Biden to do more on guns and pretty much everything else, where he really infuriates me is his unwillingness to work toward that. 10k student loan forgiveness is great. It's what he ran on. But he can forgive more. He can use Executive Actions to energize his base, to get young people voting (though they've done better recently). Because right now it feels like 22 and 24 are going to be moving the wrong way on who is getting more people into those key roles.

Oct 27, 2017
So the democrats will never have a filibuster proof majority, yet Biden says: vote harder.

This while he can't even get his current "democratic" senators to vote in his agenda.

Truly a joke of a democracy.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney

This whole thing was Joe's value add!

He was like I know the Senate I know the Senators I know the White House I can get it done.

And when you point out he said this stuff people give you a civics lesson and say it wasn't his fault!

Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
Joe Biden isn't a President, he's a weighted blanket for gutless liberals.
Perfect.

This speech was just Biden begging for change. He barely called out Republicans or how the NRA is buying politicians. This is weak ass shit.

So the democrats will never have a filibuster proof majority, yet Biden says: vote harder.

This while he can't even get his current "democratic" senators to vote in his agenda.

Truly a joke of a democracy.
When (well, if) we get a filibuster proof majority a new rotating villain will emerge. We'll have 60 votes but sadly 1 - 3 senators won't vote with their party so the Democrats will tell us to get MORE Senators that are democratic. Obama had a filibuster proof majority for a year and only got ACA passed (barely) because Joe Lieberman is a dickhead. We're always going to do this song and dance. Voting harder won't solve shit.