• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 31, 2017
There's a separate thread talking about Indigenous Peoples Day in general, but this was unexpected and a big deal, especially following his protections for monuments Native Americans hold sacred.

www.today.com

President Biden signs proclamation recognizing Indigenous Peoples' Day

The day will be observed Oct. 11, along with Columbus Day.

The day will be observed Oct. 11, along with Columbus Day, which is established by Congress. While Native Americans have campaigned for years for local and national days in recognition of the country's indigenous peoples, Biden's announcement appeared to catch many by surprise.

"This was completely unexpected. Even though we've been talking about it and wanting it for so long," said Hillary Kempenich, an artist and member of the Turtle Mountain Band of Chippewa. In 2019, she and other tribal members successfully campaigned for her town of Grand Forks, N.D., to replace Columbus Day with a day recognizing Native peoples.

"For generations, Federal policies systematically sought to assimilate and displace Native people and eradicate Native cultures," Biden wrote in the Indigenous Peoples' Day proclamation. "Today, we recognize Indigenous peoples' resilience and strength as well as the immeasurable positive impact that they have made on every aspect of American society."

"Today, we also acknowledge the painful history of wrongs and atrocities that many European explorers inflicted on Tribal Nations and Indigenous communities," Biden wrote. "It is a measure of our greatness as a Nation that we do not seek to bury these shameful episodes of our past — that we face them honestly, we bring them to the light, and we do all we can to address them."

biden-signing-lp-today-inline-211009-02.jpg

On Friday, President Joe Biden also signed a proclamation restoring protections for two national monuments in Utah, including Bears Ears, a site Native Americans consider sacred.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
www.whitehouse.gov

Executive Order on the White House Initiative on Advancing Educational Equity, Excellence, and Economic Opportunity for Native Americans and Strengthening Tribal Colleges and Universities | The White House

By the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, it is hereby ordered as follows: Section 1. Policy. The United States has a unique political and legal relationship with federally recognized Tribal Nations, as set forth in the...

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
this is an easy layup for Biden that effectively cannot be reversed in the future. no future prez, no matter how racist will be like "Oh, we're getting rid of Juneteenth and Indigenous People's Day!"

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
this is an easy layup for Biden that effectively cannot be reversed in the future. no future prez, no matter how racist will be like "Oh, we're getting rid of Juneteenth and Indigenous People's Day!"

Trump's sole purpose in life was to undo Obama's work. I wouldn't put it past him to undo Biden, especially considering Biden beat him head to head.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This will rile up Fox News and the other usual suspects.

And more amusingly, bump Trump's weekend rally out of the news cycle as a result.

anexanhume

Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Neeeeat.

It's always telling how his supporters don't have any defense than "he's right" whenever his sociopathic takes go viral.
Right wing media consists of two types: the idiot they agreed looks best in a suit or the person that recognized how lucrative it was to play to the right.

Notice how he said "significant" and not good. He knows Columbus was an evil fuck and being consequential in history doesn't deserve commemoration. We more often celebrate the days we triumphed over those types of people.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
unfortuently it's a law so would require congress and italian americans who've never been to italy and never stepped foot in a catholic church nor realize he sailed under the spanish flag get really pissy
Most don't give a damn about Columbus. Just have it called Italian Heritage Day & it would avoid some of the problems. Or educate them behind the reason Columbus Day was even started & how it was a way to make peace with Italians after lynching them & Columbus was only used because the anniversary of his voyage was coming up and they used him as an Italian figure.

iiicon

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Much like Trudeau here in Canada, it is easy to recognize us and earn all the headlines while using the power of the state to fight and oppress us.

OP
OP
ThisThingIsUseful
Oct 31, 2017
Much like Trudeau here in Canada, it is easy to recognize us and earn all the headlines while using the power of the state to fight and oppress us.

Through his orders, he halted the now-canceled Keystone pipeline to which groups such as the Native American Rights Fund filed a lawsuit against it, and restored protections to three national monuments in a move celebrated by many groups in the United States who fought it ever since Trump eliminated protections. Many are also pushing for his infrastructure bill that is said to restore many historical inequities.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
unfortuently it's a law so would require congress and italian americans who've never been to italy and never stepped foot in a catholic church nor realize he sailed under the spanish flag get really pissy

I feel like we all need to come to some kind of agreement on who the best Italian to actually have an Italian-American holiday around would be so all the very correct takes about abolishing Columbus Day could be paired with some new Italian heritage day.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
can we get more youtube videos, news articles and threads about the good stuff Biden's Admin has done?

I feel like there's not enough QUALITY CONTENT in this area and we need some wide spread W's against all this Trump resurgance crap.

OP
OP
ThisThingIsUseful
Oct 31, 2017
Are Italian Americans really butt hurt about potentially Columbus day going away? Actually is that possible?

Do they realize it has nothing to do with being Italian? Should Spaniards be offended as well since their kind paid for the ships and stuff? Lol wtf.

I'm sure there are some. I know there's that now-weird clip of Joe Pesci on SNL after Sinead O'Connor ripped up that picture of the Pope, and he said near the beginning, "Second, it's Columbus Day. That's important to me because I'm Italian."

But I dunno, so many Italians I know don't celebrate Columbus Day at all, so...?

Canyon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Who gives a shit about Fox News and racist Twitter?

Happy they are recognized and for those that fought to make this happen.

iiicon

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Through his orders, he halted the now-canceled Keystone pipeline to which groups such as the Native American Rights Fund filed a lawsuit against it, and restored protections to three national monuments in a move celebrated by many groups in the United States who fought it ever since Trump eliminated protections. Many are also pushing for his infrastructure bill that is said to restore many historical inequities.
I'm aware.

He was also part of an administration that used the power of the state against indigenous people and land defenders protesting at Standing Rock, where protesters are currently being sentenced to long stays in prison. Over 600 people (more than at Standing Rock) have been arrested protesting the Line 3 pipeline in Minnesota. Biden has also defended the Willow Project in court, which will irreparably harm indigenous people in Alaska. An acknowledgment of Indigenous People's Day by the sitting president does not address the material needs of my brothers and sisters from other nations all across the land. At best it's a more formal version of a land acknowledgement. At worst, as evidenced by this thread, it's a tool American democrats can use to sidestep the real issues and simply make republicans heated.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
Are Italian Americans really butt hurt about potentially Columbus day going away? Actually is that possible?

Do they realize it has nothing to do with being Italian? Should Spaniards be offended as well since their king paid for the ships and stuff? Lol wtf.

It has this to do with being Italian, from Wikipedia:

For the 400th anniversary of Christopher Columbus's voyage in 1892, following a lynching in New Orleans where a mob had murdered 11 Italian immigrants, President Benjamin Harrison declared Columbus Day as a one-time national celebration. The proclamation was part of a wider effort after the lynching incident to placate Italian Americans and ease diplomatic tensions with Italy...

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Trump's sole purpose in life was to undo Obama's work. I wouldn't put it past him to undo Biden, especially considering Biden beat him head to head.

Trump was also a complete moron. Anyone with any understanding of how the optics of that would make them look would probably steer away from doing such a thing.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
Yeah but undoing this or Juneteenth would say "I am a racist". There's literally no other reason to do it. There's nothing you could even really pretend is a reason to reverse these holidays.

Rei no Otaku

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cranston RI

Do they realize it has nothing to do with being Italian? Should Spaniards be offended as well since their king paid for the ships and stuff? Lol wtf.
Some are yes. I come from a very heavily Italian area (Columbus Day has huge parades and Italian food festivals) and every year when Columbus Day comes around there's debate on renaming the holiday. They trot out the head of some Italian-American group who says how disrespectful it is to Italians to rename the holiday.

The problem is too many people still don't know how much of a monster Columbus was and a lot of older Italian-Americans are still bitter about the way they were treated when they came to this country. They see the attack on Columbus Day as another attack on them.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
The Mario Brothers did more for Italian Americans than Columbus ever did.