• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018

Each year on this day, we remember the lives of all those who died in the Ottoman-era Armenian genocide and recommit ourselves to preventing such an atrocity from ever again occurring. Beginning on April 24, 1915, with the arrest of Armenian intellectuals and community leaders in Constantinople by Ottoman authorities, one and a half million Armenians were deported, massacred, or marched to their deaths in a campaign of extermination. We honor the victims of the Meds Yeghern so that the horrors of what happened are never lost to history. And we remember so that we remain ever-vigilant against the corrosive influence of hate in all its forms.

Of those who survived, most were forced to find new homes and new lives around the world, including in the United States. With strength and resilience, the Armenian people survived and rebuilt their community. Over the decades Armenian immigrants have enriched the United States in countless ways, but they have never forgotten the tragic history that brought so many of their ancestors to our shores. We honor their story. We see that pain. We affirm the history. We do this not to cast blame but to ensure that what happened is never repeated.

Today, as we mourn what was lost, let us also turn our eyes to the future—toward the world that we wish to build for our children. A world unstained by the daily evils of bigotry and intolerance, where human rights are respected, and where all people are able to pursue their lives in dignity and security. Let us renew our shared resolve to prevent future atrocities from occurring anywhere in the world. And let us pursue healing and reconciliation for all the people of the world.

The American people honor all those Armenians who perished in the genocide that began 106 years ago today.

www.whitehouse.gov

Statement by President Joe Biden on Armenian Remembrance Day | The White House

Each year on this day, we remember the lives of all those who died in the Ottoman-era Armenian genocide and recommit ourselves to preventing such an atrocity from ever again occurring. Beginning on April 24, 1915, with the arrest of Armenian intellectuals and community leaders in Constantinople...

Last edited:

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
So Obama never did this? Good on Biden for being the first POTUS to do this, then, even if it's a century late.

zon

Oct 28, 2017
A lot of Turks will be pissed. It's good the genocide is recognised.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Calling the city Constantinople will piss off Turkey right?

Though specifying Ottoman era could offset that a bit...

dakun

Oct 28, 2017
crazy Obama never did this, actually even broke his promise to recognize it. As a Turk i'm happy this is finally done, but i doubt Turkey will ever move on this issue.

Istanbul was not officially Istanbul until way after the Armenian Genozide.. so he's actually factual in his words.

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
User Banned (1 Week): Dismissive Drive-By Posting and Whataboutism; Prior Related Bans
Is the Uyghur genocide officially recognized by the Biden administration?

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
So Obama never did this? Good on Biden for being the first POTUS to do this, then, even if it's a century late.

Never officially. Obama made remarks about it but it was never the official policy of the US government to recognize what happened in 1915 as a genocide.

The only president to call what happened a genocide was Reagan, but it was seen as sort of an offhand remark not the official policy of the government.

OP
OP
Slash

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Is the Uyghur genocide officially recognized by the Biden administration?

No, no governments or organizations currently recognize that as genocide (edit: this is wrong I can't find the strike out button on mobile!). The word genocide is used much more carefully among governments than it is in the public.

Even the armenian genocide is rarely recognized as one, only 30 countries or so recognize it. The United Nations refuses to make a comment on it to this day despite being the organization that officially created the term 'genocide' in the aftermath of WW2.

Edit oh wow, nm I was wrong re: Biden admin, see post above!

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Good. Though I saw Reagan referred to the Armenian genocide in a Holocaust remembrance speech in 1981.

Ronald Reagan

Is Biden just the first to attribute it to the Ottomans/Turks directly rather than pairing the words Armenian and genocide together?

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
A very belated formal recognition, but it's good it happened all the same. The Armenians are a lovely people, and it's a shame that their suffering has gone unrecognized by so many for so long.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Fun fact: Turkey also once recognized Armenian Genocide. During Ataturk's tenure, tens of members of former Hamidian Brigade, who were responsible for the acts were hanged. They were charged with "heinous crimes against Christian Anatolians".

Any evidence related to that destroyed by the orders of Adnan Menderes (also known as Hitler junior). Menderes, a renowned islamist and xenophobe, was himself hanged with charges of discrimination and spreading hatred. One of the first Turks to deny such events took place. Erdogan is one of his loyal followers is also following his act in this despicable subject. Hopefully his demise will be similar.

Rayasab

Banned
Apr 12, 2021
Weird way to pick a fight with Turkey, guess it'll tighten its relationship with Russia.

Rayasab

Banned
Apr 12, 2021
Great news! The more pressure on Turkey in this topic, the better.

Russia already recognizes it as a genocide, and it was apparently one of the first to do so.
I mean sure but it's not part of Nato and follows the same Church, and it was part of the reason for what happened 100 years ago

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
A very belated formal recognition, but it's good it happened all the same. The Armenians are a lovely people, and it's a shame that their suffering has gone unrecognized by so many for so long.
My Armenian friend and his family took care of me when I was suffering abuse at home I never felt a more welcoming home in all my life.

Oct 27, 2017

Istanbul didn't become official until around 1930 I think - using Constantinople to piss them off would probably play into greek nationalism nowadays which is a different can of worms.

Great to see it, crazy that it took more than a century for a president to recognize it formally.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Weird way to pick a fight with Turkey, guess it'll tighten its relationship with Russia.

This is not insult at all, opposition parties in Turkey acknowledges the genocide, CHP even since the Ataturk times. This clearly illegitimatizes the Menderes doctrine in Turkey which president Erdogan is a big fan of. Biden promised he'd empower the opposition if he gets elected and this is the first step.

Istanbul didn't become official until around 1930 I think - using Constantinople to piss them off would probably play into greek nationalism nowadays which is a different can of worms.

Great to see it, crazy that it took more than a century for a president to recognize it formally.

"Istanbul" also is a Greek name of the city, comes from Greek "Stimpouli" meaning "to the city". One of the best principles of Ataturk was that being against betraying the legacy of Anatolia and changing city names (yet they did a lot of changes after his death).

Rayasab

Banned
Apr 12, 2021
User Banned (1 Week): Dismissive Drive-By Posting and Whataboutism; Account in Junior Phase
This is not insult at all, opposition parties in Turkey acknowledges the genocide, CHP even since the Ataturk times. This clearly illegitimatizes the Menderes doctrine in Turkey which president Erdogan is a big fan of. Biden promised he'd empower the opposition if he gets elected and this is the first step.
Probably, but it's all political and laughable to acknowledge a 100-year old genocide by a dethroned Empire while still supporting directly or indirectly the current ones going in Yemen, Palestine, and Xinjing.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think some of Biden's decision were bad these past weeks but this one is great and deserves respect.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
Been waiting a long time for this.

This past yeah has been very painful for us. This brings some relief.

Oct 27, 2017
It's very strange to me that it took this long - it's just saying that something that happened, happened. I understand the geopolitical complications, but still.

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Serj from System of a Down will be super happy; he's been campaigning for this for a long time.

Edit:

Last edited:

dakun

Oct 28, 2017
Probably, but it's all political and laughable to acknowledge a 100-year old genocide by a dethroned Empire while still supporting directly or indirectly the current ones going in Yemen, Palestine, and Xinjing.
1. It's good that the Armenian genocide is recognized
2. It's bad that other genocides are ignored

both statements can be true.

I don't see how recognizing the Armenian Genocide is laughable considering no other US president ever officially did so.
And to say it was done by a dethroned Empire is downplaying the role modern Turkey played in persecuting Armenians and continuing the policy of confiscation of Armenian Properties for decades, all the while spending millions of dollars lobbying, threatening and intimidating other countries and institutions to not recognize the genocide.

As a turk, i lived with people who deny any responsibility Turkey had all my life. It's almost insulting to call an important step to make a wrong right again, as laughable. This is a victory for Armenians that waited for the US to do this for way too long. The recognition of the US that their ancestors weren't just an unfortunate victim to war but were systematically wiped out is not a laughable matter.

Last edited: