• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

medium.com

How to Make this Moment the Turning Point for Real Change

As millions of people across the country take to the streets and raise their voices in response to the killing of George Floyd and the…

As millions of people across the country take to the streets and raise their voices in response to the killing of George Floyd and the ongoing problem of unequal justice, many people have reached out asking how we can sustain momentum to bring about real change.
Ultimately, it's going to be up to a new generation of activists to shape strategies that best fit the times. But I believe there are some basic lessons to draw from past efforts that are worth remembering.
First, the waves of protests across the country represent a genuine and legitimate frustration over a decades-long failure to reform police practices and the broader criminal justice system in the United States. The overwhelming majority of participants have been peaceful, courageous, responsible, and inspiring. They deserve our respect and support, not condemnation — something that police in cities like Camden and Flint have commendably understood.
On the other hand, the small minority of folks who've resorted to violence in various forms, whether out of genuine anger or mere opportunism, are putting innocent people at risk, compounding the destruction of neighborhoods that are often already short on services and investment and detracting from the larger cause. I saw an elderly black woman being interviewed today in tears because the only grocery store in her neighborhood had been trashed. If history is any guide, that store may take years to come back. So let's not excuse violence, or rationalize it, or participate in it. If we want our criminal justice system, and American society at large, to operate on a higher ethical code, then we have to model that code ourselves.
Second, I've heard some suggest that the recurrent problem of racial bias in our criminal justice system proves that only protests and direct action can bring about change, and that voting and participation in electoral politics is a waste of time. I couldn't disagree more. The point of protest is to raise public awareness, to put a spotlight on injustice, and to make the powers that be uncomfortable; in fact, throughout American history, it's often only been in response to protests and civil disobedience that the political system has even paid attention to marginalized communities. But eventually, aspirations have to be translated into specific laws and institutional practices — and in a democracy, that only happens when we elect government officials who are responsive to our demands.
Moreover, it's important for us to understand which levels of government have the biggest impact on our criminal justice system and police practices. When we think about politics, a lot of us focus only on the presidency and the federal government. And yes, we should be fighting to make sure that we have a president, a Congress, a U.S. Justice Department, and a federal judiciary that actually recognize the ongoing, corrosive role that racism plays in our society and want to do something about it. But the elected officials who matter most in reforming police departments and the criminal justice system work at the state and local levels.

More in the link (Didn't want to quote selective bits or the whole thing).

manzoman96

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine if we had someone with a fraction of his leadership skills in office right now.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is what I think about

and in a democracy, that only happens when we elect government officials who are responsive to our demands.

Oct 27, 2017
I am going to read this later, but since the uprising began, this is the kind of strategic thinking I hope activists are engaged with. You don't need to like Obama, or his "plans" but we need to start thinking about how we blunt the fascists on SCOTUS and move around--and through--intransigent local and state authorities.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
So the bottom line is this: if we want to bring about real change, then the choice isn't between protest and politics. We have to do both. We have to mobilize to raise awareness, and we have to organize and cast our ballots to make sure that we elect candidates who will act on reform.

This.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
Second, I've heard some suggest that the recurrent problem of racial bias in our criminal justice system proves that only protests and direct action can bring about change, and that voting and participation in electoral politics is a waste of time. I couldn't disagree more. The point of protest is to raise public awareness, to put a spotlight on injustice, and to make the powers that be uncomfortable; in fact, throughout American history, it's often only been in response to protests and civil disobedience that the political system has even paid attention to marginalized communities. But eventually, aspirations have to be translated into specific laws and institutional practices — and in a democracy, that only happens when we elect government officials who are responsive to our demands.

This is an important point, the only problem is that a lot of dems have been showing their ass so who do people vote for when both sides are letting them down?

mozbar

Feb 20, 2018
It will take a real, sustained effort from everyone to enact lasting change. I remember reading something about how election day isn't a national holiday in the US? Is this still the case?

Violence is never the answer, but my gut feeling is that things are still going to take a turn for the worse.

Good luck, my American brothers and sisters. I will support you in whatever way I can.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Some of that seems like common sense but I've seen people argue against it so I guess it all needs to be said. Channeling this energy into creating the tools for lasting change takes the step after protests to come into being. Also showing the downballot races that make the local kinds of change we need is welcome. Though some of the people on the dem side have been showing their asses lately and it's kind of too late this cycle to primary most of them...

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017
Such true words.

Goddamn I miss him, I don't think people really understood how good of leadership skills and just overall inspiriational he was until he was gone and we had to deal with.... 'that' thing posing as a President.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Quite a bit better than Biden's statement, but still lacking a clear condemnation of police violence against protestors and the media even though he could take the time to tut tut against violent protestors.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully, he releases a video as well. Video is just the better medium (no pun intended) in today's age.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
This is worth highlighting as well:

Barack Obama said:
It's mayors and county executives that appoint most police chiefs and negotiate collective bargaining agreements with police unions. It's district attorneys and state's attorneys that decide whether or not to investigate and ultimately charge those involved in police misconduct. Those are all elected positions. In some places, police review boards with the power to monitor police conduct are elected as well. Unfortunately, voter turnout in these local races is usually pitifully low, especially among young people — which makes no sense given the direct impact these offices have on social justice issues, not to mention the fact that who wins and who loses those seats is often determined by just a few thousand, or even a few hundred, votes.

So the bottom line is this: if we want to bring about real change, then the choice isn't between protest and politics. We have to do both. We have to mobilize to raise awareness, and we have to organize and cast our ballots to make sure that we elect candidates who will act on reform.

I'm sure some of our OT friends will be mad that there's only some back-handed compliments at police in this, but as nearly always with what President Obama writes, it's well-thought out from someone who's been involved with this fight for a long time.

This is an important point, the only problem is that a lot of dems have been showing their ass so who do people vote for when both sides are letting them down?

Pressure them to do better. Show up at meetings. Organize and support primary challengers to them.

Deleted member 39587

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 6, 2018
User banned (1 week): Trolling, derailing and antagonizing other members over a series of posts
Omg the bootlickers in this thread, I hope it's tasty.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, we have to continue to protest no matter the leadership of the country. And then we have to keep voting whenever we get the chance. Politicians need to be held accountable. And that's especially important to those we hold ideals with. We need to keep reminding them of what they promised and protest until they have fulfilled those promises. And then make sure we vote to protect the legacy of the good results and to push them even further.

It's a big system that requires substantial participation in and out of the voting booth.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
It will take a real, sustained effort from everyone to enact lasting change. I remember reading something about how election day isn't a national holiday in the US? Is this still the case?

Correct, it's not a federal holiday (though I think a couple states, recently Virginia, have state level holidays for it), and millions upon millions of voters have to fit participation into their normal Tuesday ritual.
Most states do dictate that employers have to allow some amount of time to let employees vote, but it still a source of logistical headaches for many.
With some states reducing and eliminating polling places and rules constantly being in flux

Last edited:

ShiftyRat

Oct 27, 2017
Sure would be nice to have some real leadership back in the White House. Obama was FAR from perfect but he respected that it meant to be President. I don't know if we'll ever think of the presidency the same again after this administration.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Oh look a presidential response. Let's compare to what the genius Donald Trump said today about the protests:

'I don't see any evidence there are White Supremacists there, it's ANTIFA!'

TheLucasLite

Aug 27, 2018
I mean, the whole point to engaging in electoralism for leftists is that we can far more easily bend libs to our demands as opposed to conservatives, so he's right there.

Still don't think I can agree with some of his hand-wringing re: violence or w/e. He doesn't really single out its source as starting with police militarization. Also, would still like to see some call to action directly asking for all those involved in Floyd's death to be arrested.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Local and state elections are important but it's our racist, good-for-nothing president, that is stoking these flames. Getting him out of office should be just as much of a priority either be voting him out or public pressure.

Deleted member 3812

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
twitter.com

Errol Webber For Congress (CA-37) on Twitter

“@BarackObama Remember, your administration caused this division and stoked it every single day for 8 years. The black community is tired of your empty promises. You did nothing but push hate for 8 years. You own this, Barack.”

Wtf am I reading

Twitter bio tells me all I need to know about him, he's a Trump bootlicker:

Errol Webber For Congress (CA-37)
@ErrolWebber
Candidate for Congress CA-37 | GOP Flag of United StatesElephant | Los Angeles Film Producer | #MAGA #KAG #Patriot

mozbar

Feb 20, 2018
Correct, it's not a federal holiday, and millions upon millions of voters have to fit participation into their normal Tuesday ritual.
Most states do dictate that employers have to allow some amount of time to let employees vote, but it still a source of logistical headaches for many.
With some states reducing and eliminating polling places and rules constantly being in flux

Thanks for this. I hope that federal holiday will be considered in the future, as it does a positive effect on voter turnout. Though I know that blue collar workers might be affected if everything else remains the same.

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
"So the bottom line is this: if we want to bring about real change, then the choice isn't between protest and politics. We have to do both. We have to mobilize to raise awareness, and we have to organize and cast our ballots to make sure that we elect candidates who will act on reform."

This is it. Don't stop protesting peacefully. Don't stop demanding more from your politicians. Don't stop getting involved in politics. Don't stop being an activist. Don't stop challenging journalists. Don't stop calling out the crooked cops. Don't stop voting, in every election and for every slot from the top to the bottom of the ballot, in every state, whether or not it's safe for your favorite candidate.

If we're going to get anything, we have to use all of the tools, not some of them. We're going to have to use all of them simultaneously, not just criticize the ones that don't work well enough or fast enough. Every tool.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The fourth paragraph is hot garbage lol

Other than that great statement. I appreciate how he spells everything out and names the positions and leaders responsible for policing. Everything is local!

Oct 27, 2017
Relying on elections to bring civil justice is a long road where roadblocks will stifle change every moment. Sometimes you do need to take rather than ask. As long as a two party system is in charge, there's little chance of true progress.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Drive by trolling, multiple prior bans for trolling across multiple subjects
worth listening to him, his experience in squashing the occupy movement is rather valuable.

sonicmj1

Oct 25, 2017
People have focused on the second point, but I'm more focused on the third:

Barack Obama said:
Finally, the more specific we can make demands for criminal justice and police reform, the harder it will be for elected officials to just offer lip service to the cause and then fall back into business as usual once protests have gone away. The content of that reform agenda will be different for various communities. A big city may need one set of reforms; a rural community may need another. Some agencies will require wholesale rehabilitation; others should make minor improvements. Every law enforcement agency should have clear policies, including an independent body that conducts investigations of alleged misconduct. Tailoring reforms for each community will require local activists and organizations to do their research and educate fellow citizens in their community on what strategies work best.

But as a starting point, here's a report and toolkit developed by the Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights and based on the work of the Task Force on 21st Century Policing that I formed when I was in the White House. And if you're interested in taking concrete action, we've also created a dedicated site at the Obama Foundation to aggregate and direct you to useful resources and organizations who've been fighting the good fight at the local and national levels for years.

The dedicated site includes data on policing and racial disparities and links to a few nationwide organizations and funds, such as the Nationwide Bail Fund.

As key as the protests are, for them to create change there have to be specific steps that we can hold officials accountable for taking. We need to have policies we can lobby our elected officials to adopt so that we can know they're not just listening, but acting. That's going to be different in every city, but it's essential. Otherwise, they'll just tell us, "your peaceful protests have been heard" while maintaining the status quo.