• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

There was a lot of shit slinging during the primaries. I heard lots of talk of Biden basically being a repub and accomplishing nothing good cause he's more moderate. I assume most of this was because people really wanted Bernie to take the nomination instead.

I wasn't particularly excited by the Biden nomination (was always far, far better than trump tho ofc) , but listening to him over the last few months has definitely brought me around more and I'm optimistic to see some good change come through these next 4 years.

Pekola

Oct 27, 2017
He better get to work.
I mean essentially what he's going to do is roll the US back to status quo (and have a normal response to COVID). It's not incredible but compared to the dumpster fire you all just went through for 4 years status quo will be wonderful. Beggars can't be choosers.
giphy.gif

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
There was a lot of shit slinging during the primaries. I heard lots of talk of Biden basically being a repub and accomplishing nothing good cause he's more moderate. I assume most of this was because people really wanted Bernie to take the nomination instead.

I wasn't particularly excited by the Biden nomination (was always far, far better than trump tho ofc) , but listening to him over the last few months has definitely brought me around more and I'm optimistic to see some good change come through these next 4 years.
Good for you. I was for Biden and I know a lot of younger progressives were Burnie or Warren. At the point where America was, I would have voted for a camel.

Pekola

Oct 27, 2017
Good for you. I was for Biden and I know a lot of younger progressives were Burnie or Warren. At the point where America was, I would have voted for a camel.
I suspect the camel would've been less racist.

If he can do this from the get-go, great. I expect a bunch of other things during his presidency to extend far beyond just bringing us back pre-Trump. I think everyone should.

Thordinson

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
Great stuff in here.

As far as student debt cancellation, he doesn't have an Secretary of Education yet so he can't really cancel the debt through EO. It does seem fairly clear that he can do it through EO but rather have Congress do it.

wookiee

Jul 14, 2020
He also doesn't have to because the Dems control Congress now. They can and likely will include some loan forgiveness in the stimulus bill they are going to pass.
Granted, Dems barely control congress. Like by the tiniest of margins. Guaranteed a shitload of stuff gets filibustered in the Senate and drag it down as long as they can.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
Meh. The lack of mention of it means it is pretty much dead imo.
He mentioned student debt like a few days ago. It's clear he wants to do debt forgiveness through legislation (paired with free tuition) and not through EO. EO forgiveness was really something that only gained headspace when people thought Republicans were going to control the senate and it was only floated by a few senators. That was never what Biden campaigned on and was never the ideal approach to tackle college education and student debt.

Wafflinson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
He mentioned student debt like a few days ago. It's clear he wants to do debt forgiveness through legislation (paired with free tuition) and not through EO. EO forgiveness was really something that only gained headspace when people thought Republicans were going to control the senate and it was only floated by a few senators. That was never what Biden campaigned on and was never the ideal approach to tackle college education and student debt.
I feel like that is the same thing. That seems exactly like something that one of the moderates would object to because "the deficit".

If no EO then it is not happening. Obama couldn't do it with 60 senators. Joe isn't going to get it done with 50.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Rejoin Paris Agreement is nice show of unity... but there has to be an actionable plan to address Climate Change because the time aggressive action was a few years ago.

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like that is the same thing. That seems exactly like something that one of the moderates would object to because "the deficit".

If no EO then it is not happening. Obama couldn't do it with 60 senators. Joe isn't going to get it done with 50.
This isn't 2009. The overton window has shifted. We have people like Manchin excitedly talking about $4 trillion infrastructure spending.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

He never quite had 60. He technically did after Franken was seated but one senator (Byrd) was hospitalized pretty much the entire time. Then Ted Kennedy died. Always hovering around 58/59.

If the Democrats are willing to nuke the filibuster, they can do it. Seems possible at the moment.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Is there a thread about his speech? Can't seem to find one. There's still a million trump ones, which is urgh. Hopefully we see the last of trump attention from now on.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
the student debt erasure dream is dead.
What? How?

Right now, the easiest thing is to continue to pause payments. Which expires in like 10 days. Now it will be extended through Sept 30th.

Larger forgiveness while can be done through EO, really needs to be done through legislation because you also need to reign in costs and develop new affordable programs in legislation. Otherwise, the bills will just continue to ramp up.

Wafflinson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
He never quite had 60. He technically did after Franken was seated but one senator (Byrd) was hospitalized pretty much the entire time.

If the Democrats are willing to nuke the filibuster, they can do it. Seems possible at the moment.
If Manchin comes out for getting rid of the filibuster then we can talk.

However, he has stated that his position is to keep the filibuster so I am not holding my breath.

Even then I don't think he votes for significant loan forgiveness.

Biden just needs to do the EO.

RiZ IV

Oct 27, 2017
Those are some incredible moves for day 1. So glad to see the extension of the student loan deferral and interest pause. Federal student loans shouldn't have interest on them in the first place. I don't have student loans, but my wife does. The pause on the interest accruel there has been a huge help as it's allowed her to actually make a dent on her principle balance.

Allard

Oct 25, 2017
If Manchin comes out for getting rid of the filibuster then we can talk.

However, he has stated that his position is to keep the filibuster so I am not holding my breath.

Even then I don't think he votes for significant loan forgiveness.

Biden just needs to do the EO.

Manchin has been against wholesale removal of the Filibuster which I actually agree with since its purpose originally was to slow down passage of bills for constructive criticism and personal grievances with bills, it wasn't designed to be used as it has been the past 12+ years. They are simply going to vote on changing the rules of the filibuster to gut it in way that it might as well be considered removed. No one seems to "get" Manchins game, he won't be the reason things don't get passed, he will only claim that publicly because that is the kind of senator he is.

wookiee

Jul 14, 2020
Rule changes are a simple majority vote.
?

"How would eliminating the filibuster actually work?
The most straightforward way to eliminate the filibuster would be to formally change the text of Senate Rule 22, the cloture rule that requires 60 votes to end debate on legislation. Here's the catch: Ending debate on a resolution to change the Senate's standing rules requires the support of two-thirds of the members present and voting. Absent a large, bipartisan Senate majority that favors curtailing the right to debate, a formal change in Rule 22 is extremely unlikely."

www.brookings.edu

What is the Senate filibuster, and what would it take to eliminate it?

Molly Reynolds explains the history of the Senate filibuster and the possible, but politically unlikely, ways to reform or eliminate it.

Is this not a good source or something?

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
?

The most straightforward way to eliminate the filibuster would be to formally change the text of Senate Rule 22, the cloture rule that requires 60 votes to end debate on legislation. Here's the catch: Ending debate on a resolution to change the Senate's standing rules requires the support of two-thirds of the members present and voting. Absent a large, bipartisan Senate majority that favors curtailing the right to debate, a formal change in Rule 22 is extremely unlikely."

www.brookings.edu

Molly Reynolds explains the history of the Senate filibuster and the possible, but politically unlikely, ways to reform or eliminate it.

You don't even have to remove the filibuster. You can nerf it with a simple majority to the point of it being useless.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Good start, but some of these need to be made into law/legislation. Otherwise when we get the next R president they can just undo it all again lol

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
?

www.brookings.edu

The Supreme Court has affirmed that rules changes in the Senate require only a majority vote. And while you can, in theory, filibuster a rules change, the presiding officer has the right to over rule the parliamentarian at will and, in a vote to kill the filibuster, would have no reason not to since the filibuster is the parliamentary rule prohibiting the vote on killing it. You don't just do that all the time because you might as well be killing the filibuster the first time you use it for that purpose.