• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
FUCK, the even 10k Student Loan relief didn't make it in..

Damn it Joe, stop being a bitchass worried about deficits when Repubs didn't give a FUCK for 4 years..
I swear it feels like some people are just foaming at the mouth.

It's his first day. Give the president some time. As others have said, cancelling student debt via EO is legally shaky; we now control both legislative chambers, let things be done right.

Realmatic1

Oct 27, 2017
Y'all are tripping, the student loan pause had to be extended as it expires in 10 days. Before wiping out debt you need to ensure that the pause is extended

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
He should have done it through exec, both Studen Loan relief and Medicare 4 All.

We'll see if legislature does it, but I am sure Repubs will cry about deficits for the first time in 4 years and Dems will neuter it.
He can't do M4A via executive order, but I think he could forgive medical debt. That's something that should absolutely be looked into, especially as COVID has no doubt submerged more families.

Superman00

Jan 9, 2018
This shit gets so tiring, he isn't even officially sworn in yet and people expect him to undo 4 years of trump plus get every progressive things passed. The hell are people smoking. Have some patience.
These things affect hundred of millions of people in the country, you can't just sign shit and expect things to work out with out the necessary analysis.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Of everything he's promising, I really do hope he can make significant strides in righting the ship when it comes to climate.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Just shows how mediocre Trump was. What did he do with his days?

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
Naw man, he is at his most powerful now with a fresh mandate, get shit done, don't wanna hear about reaching over aisles.

We'll see how it goes, going to keep a keen eye on these first 100 days.
Maybe direct that keen eye of yours towards how the US government is allowed to issue expensive mandates, because saying M4A is possible through executive fiat makes you look plenty silly.

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Bit off topic but, what ends up happening to people that winded up in default with their fed loans if they're forgiven?

Richiek

Nov 2, 2017
I swear it feels like some people are just foaming at the mouth.

It's his first day. Give the president some time. As others have said, cancelling student debt via EO is legally shaky; we now control both legislative chambers, let things be done right.

Alot of these Biden critics are often arguing in bad faith or naive in how governing works.

ak1287

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Naw man, he is at his most powerful now with a fresh mandate, get shit done, don't wanna hear about reaching over aisles.

We'll see how it goes, going to keep a keen eye on these first 100 days.
Given your level of observation thus far, I don't think this means much.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
ITT - People who don't understand what executive orders can and cannot do

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Voting counts. I love how aggressive they are being and I hope they keep the pressure on to actually make changes for good.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He should have done it through exec, both Studen Loan relief and Medicare 4 All.

We'll see if legislature does it, but I am sure Repubs will cry about deficits for the first time in 4 years and Dems will neuter it.
Are you nuts? You can't do M4A via EO. You HAVE to be arguing in bad faith, or entirely clueless.

The Llama

Oct 27, 2017
Y'all are tripping, the student loan pause had to be extended as it expires in 10 days. Before wiping out debt you need to ensure that the pause is extended
The one good thing Betsy DeVos did was extend the student loan pause 1 month to the end of January so that Biden's team could take it up themselves rather than make everyone have to deal with January payments before they got paused again tbh.
Hoping Biden extends it at least another year because I'm going for Public Service Loan Forgiveness and every paused month counts as a month for that purpose, so this is saving me hundreds of dollars a month lol.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Bit off topic but, what ends up happening to people that winded up in default with their fed loans if they're forgiven?

Targeted forgiveness tends to cover delinquencies and defaults if the appropriate amount is covered.
Only certain programs, like the old Public Service forgiveness program, nixes forgiveness if the borrower is not in good standing.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If the country wanted a progressive agenda they would have chosen Sanders or Warren. They did not.

This sounds like head cannon.

It's not even about just progressive policies. It's actually upholding the rule of law. Prosecute Trump, the GOP and congress members who committed sedition. The democrats letting criminal GOP members off the hook time and time again is the why the party knows they can break the law with impunity. Nixon's pardon is why we got to Trump and McConnell levels of corruption. That is the most basic change the democrats have to make.

Slash

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Sep 12, 2018
I'm still seeing people on Twitter saying that Biden and Trump are the same lmao

SuperBonk

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Was hoping the student loan pause would be extended to the end of the year. Hopefully the administration/Congress will work on a forgiveness plan before it expires (and hopefully it's not means tested and greater than $10k).

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Also it seems like people want him to be like trump where he just sign crap. Normally you need your experts in those particular area of laws and so on to do gap analysis and risk assessment before signing anything.
Anecdotally, a lot of the most outspoken leftists/Bernie-or-Busters/etc. I've known were the ones who in 2017 immediately thought Trump was fulfilling his campaign pledges by signing useless executive orders that didn't substitute at all for legislation, e.g. when he "repealed Obamacare."

"Well, at least he's keeping his promises!" they'd say as he performs the legal equivalent of writing on a bar napkin in crayon and doing absolutely nothing substantive.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017

This is the danger of shallow, internet-progressive politics. You need to understand the basics of how things work if you're going to criticize a dude who isn't President for another few hours for not handwaving in utopia on day one.

M4A is a complicated re-write of the entire healthcare system and literally can not be done via executive order. The most popular M4A policy is Bernie Sanders' and his math has never worked. Biden opposes it primarily because he believes it would necessitate a tax raise on the middle class. Instead, he calls for short term expansions to the ACA that would insure tens of millions of uninsured and under-insured Americans. What exactly healthcare will look like will turn on negotiations among congress and the Presidency, and will be contested in a packed court by Republicans.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Was hoping the student loan pause would be extended to the end of the year. Hopefully the administration/Congress will work on a forgiveness plan before it expires (and hopefully it's not means tested and greater than $10k).
Definitely. Blanket forgiveness would be nice, but I'll even take the Warren plan for 50k.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
Trump's will basically undone in a day. Nice.

Undoing the damage and effect will take a bit longer tho.

Kotze282

Oct 27, 2017
It's great that Trumps actions are about to finally be undone but I can't help but think how unproductive it is when a two party system just goes back and forth between the two viewpoints undoing what the previous administration has done.

Seneset

Oct 27, 2017
Limbus Patrum
One that I'd like to see is public investment and subsidies in fossil fuel industries reduced to zero.
Climate neutrality until 2050 isn't fast enough.
2035 should be the goal.
Also, start talking about banning combustion engines.

Also, I think Biden should bring on some MMT proponents.
This is not going to happen even in talks. Way to many in the USA fueling way to many things, large and small.