• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
The senate will bend the rules when impeachment occurs and trial comes to senate for Trump

in the senate there are no rules, they are made as they go along, Mitch will do just that. Dems will complain and gop will say look what dems did "unfairly" in the house

republicans can make the rules of how many days to give dems to present their case, they could give dems 4 days,they could give them 1 day, Mitch can prevent witnesses to come and talk.
just like it's not in constitution for dems to hold a vote for starting impeachment process, Mitch has no constitutional duty to hold a trial. Mitch could have an immediate vote and end the process right there with no trial .

prepare yourself, gop will attempt to end it in a thud .

then you have 13-9 months of politics where possibly the public memory of impeachment will go away like mueller has faded into memory especially if Trump pulls 20 scandals a day till November

just like mueller laid the groundwork of suggesting where trump was guilty, Barr did not convict and it has faded in public opinion. Now democrats will lay case to impeach and gop will choose not to convict

what would democrats do once the senate ends it ?

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
House can drag the investigation for like another 9-10 months themselves then force the Senate to act like stooges right in the heat of an election

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The stink of impeachment lingers on you for the rest of your life. People still talk about Clinton in that light. And that stink of impeachment will be carrying Trump into the election.

And I have to imagine that Chief Justice Robert has some say in the matter too.

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I thought they had to have a trial no matter what. Mitch said as much, then hinted at how short it could be. But then its up to Chief Justice Roberts, who basically takes control of the trial.

But if not, yes, let them live with the stink.

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
The stink of impeachment lingers on you for the rest of your life. People still talk about Clinton in that light. And that stink of impeachment will be carrying Trump into the election.

And I have to imagine that Chief Justice Robert has some say in the matter too.

No they don't. Clinton's approval rating went way up after his impeachment. It was a complete failure on every level

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
the public is sick of trumps shit. they arent going to let this shit slide.
They were already sick of his when the Mueller report hit and still let it slide.
Why would it be different this time?

I would be very surprised if Trump would be removed before the next election. I really don't see it happening. Republicans are too powerful, the media is too shitty and too many people will support Trump no matter what.
Removing a president from office requires some notion of basic undisputed truth in society and I think that the Trump administration has thoroughly dismantled any such thing. Everything is just opinion at this point and opinion depends on emotion.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Might as well not hold the president accountable for his actions, then. Good point, OP, great thinking.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe this is the first I'm hearing the Senate will vote to keep him and try to brush this whole thing under the rug! Thank you, OP!

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There will be public hearings though, the people will hear and see the hearings and the corruption will be brought to light, as if it wasn't obvious enough already.

If the GOP handwaves all of this, people will remember comes the time to vote. Except those fucking loons Trumpers of course.

That's what I'm hoping for anyways...

OP
OP

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Its in the Constitution, he admitted he had no choice.

Is the Senate obligated to hold a trial?
The Constitution clearly envisions that if the House impeaches a federal official, the next step is for the Senate to hold a trial. But there is no obvious enforcement mechanism if Senator Mitch McConnell, Republican of Kentucky and the majority leader, were to simply refuse to convene one — just as he refused to permit a confirmation hearing and vote on Mr. Obama's nominee, Judge Merrick Garland, to fill a Supreme Court vacancy in 2016.
Still Walter Dellinger, a Duke University law professor and a former acting solicitor general in the Clinton administration, said it is unclear whether it would be Mr. McConnell or Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr. who wields the authority to convene the Senate for the purpose of considering House-passed articles of impeachment.
Either way, though, he noted that the Republican majority in the Senate could vote to immediately dismiss the case without any consideration of the evidence if it wanted.

Oct 27, 2017
Your wrong and even if you weren't it still makes them look bad and turns off voters and brings a lot of shit to the surface for the public to see

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
Spineless Dems would never do it, but there is nothing stopping them from impeaching Trump multiple times for multiple offenses

And let's be real, he's not going to stop criming

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Nah.

There will be a vote. He won't be removed but the stain of impeachment will be forever on his term of office.

Did you forget that Clinton was impeached? Of course not.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
What do you think dems should have done/should do, OP? Would love to hear your thoughts, I'm sure they're invigorating

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Is there anyone who actually believes the Senate trial won't be anything other than a farce?

Of course the Senate is going to do whatever it can to make this go away, but that doesn't mean it will.

Horo

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
this just seem to be your opinion on the matter, i wait and see how the process actually turns out first.

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'm not too worried about it. The smart game was always to drag impeachment into the 2020 election.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think Republicans will have enough of a majority to unilaterally end it. Also what's with that use of a semi colon in the title.

Last edited:
OP
OP

OtherWorldly

Banned
Dec 3, 2018

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
He's not getting convicted, but his poll numbers aren't going to get any better either.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone that thinks he will leave anyway but being voted out is naive.

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, I'm pretty sure the House's plan is to drag it out until election. It's one of the reasons why Pelosi took so long to do it. She knows it won't pass the Senate so she waited until public was more receptive to impeachment and closer to election to keep it in the public's memory. You may not like her but she knows what she's doing.

devenger

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
this is Mitch. You believe him ?

Everything I've read, even from Mitch, said that they would have to have a trial. Thats different than not allowing a vote, which is his trade move.

Saying there's no enforcement mechanism means he could, and surely might, choose to ignore the Constitution, attempt rug sweeping shenanigans, and see what the fallout is (like ignoring subpoenas). It would however be the boldest of moves, Cotton, and certainly cause eventual action against him.

Turtle usually doesnt go that big, but if its that or be revealed as a Russian whore, you may be right.

Con_Smith

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think anyone here is seriously counting on a bunch of old money and bad faith white men to do the right thing. My blind faith is on the people to actually vote and to hopefully not have our ballot systems (where applicable) compromised by a foreign power.

Lord Fagan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So glad you can predict the future, OP.

How does the whole climate change thing shake out? Asking for a friend.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
The senate will bend the rules when impeachment occurs and trial comes to senate for Trump

in the senate there are no rules, they are made as they go along, Mitch will do just that. Dems will complain and gop will say look what dems did "unfairly" in the house

republicans can make the rules of how many days to give dems to present their case, they could give dems 4 days,they could give them 1 day, Mitch can prevent witnesses to come and talk.
just like it's not in constitution for dems to hold a vote for starting impeachment process, Mitch has no constitutional duty to hold a trial. Mitch could have an immediate vote and end the process right there with no trial .

prepare yourself, gop will attempt to end it in a thud .

then you have 13-9 months of politics where possibly the public memory of impeachment will go away like mueller has faded into memory especially if Trump pulls 20 scandals a day till November

just like mueller laid the groundwork of suggesting where trump was guilty, Barr did not convict and it has faded in public opinion. Now democrats will lay case to impeach and gop will choose not to convict

what would democrats do once the senate ends it ?

this has already been debunked. They wont be able to just end the trial quickly.