• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Starting on April 4, we are introducing Battlefield Currency, which is purchased with real-world money.

The balanced rock-paper-scissors gameplay that has always been the foundation of the Battlefield series isn't going anywhere. Player skill will continue to be paramount with the addition of Battlefield Currency, which gives players more ways to acquire items to customize their characters and arsenal in Battlefield™ V.

Let's break down Battlefield Currency, how to obtain it, and what you can get to help make a soldier that reflects the way you play and how you want to look.

What is Battlefield Currency?
There are two types of in-game currency: Company Coin is earned through gameplay (you can read more about Company Coin and progression in our previous article), and now Battlefield Currency, purchased with real-world money.

How Do I Purchase Battlefield Currency?
From the Battlefield V main menu, go to either My Company, or the Armory, or any offer featured in the game menus. From there, press the "Get Battlefield Currency" option and then select and buy one of the quantities available. When the transaction is successful, Battlefield Currency will be immediately added to your Battlefield Currency balance. You can see your Battlefield Currency balance in the upper right of the screen alongside your Company Coin balance.

Battlefield Currency can also be purchased in first-party stores for your preferred platform.

What Can I Use Battlefield Currency to Get?
Inside the Armory, Battlefield Currency can be used to acquire:

• Cosmetic customization items
  • Elite sets
  • Time savers

Elite sets and time savers will not be available on April 4 but will arrive later in Battlefield V.

Cosmetic Items
Today, you can get cosmetic items of all rarity levels through direct progression, such as Chapter Rewards or Career, Class, and Weapon Ranks. You can also get other Common, Uncommon, and Rare items through Company Coins.

Starting April 4, using Battlefield Currency, you'll get access to new Epic items. You'll also be able to get a number of cosmetic items already available through Company Coin.

Looking ahead, we will continue to release new cosmetic items that can be obtained through direct progression, Company Coins, and/or Battlefield Currency. We want to give every player a chance to access new cosmetic items, whether they choose to spend real-world money or earn content through gameplay.

The Elite
Coming in Chapter 3, we'll be introducing something new to Battlefield: Elite sets that let you play as a distinct soldier in multiplayer modes, including Firestorm. Each Elite is a unique character with a name and background. They consist of a themed assortment of cosmetic items, character voice overs, a Best Squad animation, and an exclusive Special Assignment that helps bring to life the story of the Elite and unlocks a signature melee weapon.

Elites play like any other soldier and do not grant any type of gameplay advantage. We'll provide more details on our first two Elites, Seamus and Ernst, closer to their arrival.

Time Savers

Later this spring, we'll be introducing two types of time savers that can be acquired with Battlefield Currency: Tier Catch-Ups and XP Boosts.

Tier Catch-Ups unlock Chapter Reward items, providing an option for those players who don't have the time to earn all those items through gameplay.

XP Boosts accelerate the amount of experience points you earn while you play, allowing you to reach Chapter, Career, Weapon, Vehicle, or Class Rank at a faster pace.

Are There Other Ways to Use Real-World Money?
Yes. In addition to Battlefield Currency, you can use real-world money to get value bundles. These bundles are available for limited times and can contain a mix of cosmetics, currency, time savers, or other items. The contents of a bundle will always be listed so you know what you're getting before you make a purchase.

Starter packs are one example of a value bundle. Let's take a look.

Starter Pack and Premium Starter Pack
Arriving with the April 4 launch of Battlefield Currency are two ways to kick off your customization spree, the Battlefield V Starter Pack and the Battlefield V Premium Starter Pack. These packs are meant to help new players get a head start on building and customizing their Company.

The Battlefield V Starter Pack contains:

• 500 Battlefield Currency
  • Glacial – Face paint (Rare)
  • Night Owl – Weapon Skin Set (Rare) for four weapons:
  • Sturmgewehr 1-5
  • Sten
  • KE7
  • Lee-Enfield No.4 Mk I

The Battlefield V Premium Starter Pack contains:

• 3,500 Battlefield Currency
  • Demolisher – Axis Soldier Outfit (Epic)
  • Cool Hand Duke – Allied Soldier Outfit (Epic)
  • Skorpion – Panzer IV Vehicle Skin (Rare)
  • Icefire – Spitfire MK VA Vehicle Skin (Rare)
  • Chromed Finish – Weapon Skin Set (Rare) for four weapons:
  • Sturmgewehr 1-5
  • Sten
  • KE7
  • Lee-Enfield No.4 Mk I

In Battlefield V, every Chapter brings a new battlefield through additional maps, modes, challenges, and a stockpile of fresh gear. As your journey through World War 2 progresses, Battlefield Currency is intended to give you another path to get soldiers, weapons, and vehicles that look the way you want — and give you and your squad more ways to triumph through balanced rock-paper-scissors gameplay. We'll see you on the battlefield!

The goal of fair and balanced play without pay-to-win is always front and center of everything we do for Battlefield V. However, Battlefield V aspects covered in this article may change between now and the launch of the features.

https://www.ea.com/games/battlefield/battlefield-5/news/battlefield-5-currency

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Oh hey, you just bought our game? You can GRIND for hours to get your favourite WW2 guns... OR you can check out this "time saver".

OldMuffin

Nov 1, 2017
I f*cking knew it. I found the whole system of unlocking certain guns only at certain times to be ripe for exploitation. So now, if you don't have time to play a certain week and thus can't grind for that one weapon that might not sure up back in rotation for months, you can instead buy it! Such bull...

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Ah yes, nothing like paying for time savers. Definitely what I needed to make me interested in playing the game.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
This is a big yikes considering the position of the game currently. Even Jack Frag who is a huge supporter of the game has called many of the "free updates" lackluster. Whatever though BF5 is pretty much toast and Firestorm landed with a thud. Time to move on to whale fleecing.

Oct 29, 2017
Gotta love how normalised this whole bait n' switch tactic has become...

This is your fault for supporting them in doing this. You brought this on yourselves.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
EA has no shame. F2P games can have premium currencies and they can do it right (see Warframe). The company is too wedded to the idea of a $60 upfront purchase plus all the monetization of a f2p game

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
I am so happy to get the opportunity to spend my money on fun game currencies and rewarding XP boosts.

Thanks for making it happen EA!

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I mean the time savers thing isn't anything new to battlefield. You could buy weapon shortcuts in the previous games.

Xyber

Oct 27, 2017
I f*cking knew it. I found the whole system of unlocking certain guns only at certain times to be ripe for exploitation. So now, if you don't have time to play a certain week and thus can't grind for that one weapon that might not sure up back in rotation for months, you can instead buy it! Such bull...

But you could always just buy the weapon you missed for a very small price of the already existing currency you unlock by playing..

Unless something changed since I last played.

Roy

Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah, this makes me want to fire up the game again after 3 months!

BeforeU

Banned for use of alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
embarrassing, their PR is so bad and always doing damage control. This will be no different

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Elite skins sounds awesome.

Why are people btw surprised? They explained that BOINS were coming before even BFV came out?

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
This is stupid.

I hate that all games now seem to need an explanation of the various stupidly-named currencies they use, and what they can and cannot buy.

Also, fuck your "Time Savers", EA. I thought you were all about giving people a sense of accomplishment? I'm saving so much time by not even playing the stupid game.

Crumpo

Oct 28, 2017
Bournemouth, UK
The cosmetics angle would be OK provided they actually had a bunch of cosmetics of interest. The amount and quality of the current set is low.

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
Unless they've changed it, all those weapons you missed can be purchased using the in game currency.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Elite
Coming in Chapter 3, we'll be introducing something new to Battlefield: Elite sets that let you play as a distinct soldier in multiplayer modes, including Firestorm. Each Elite is a unique character with a name and background. They consist of a themed assortment of cosmetic items, character voice overs, a Best Squad animation, and an exclusive Special Assignment that helps bring to life the story of the Elite and unlocks a signature melee weapon.

Elites play like any other soldier and do not grant any type of gameplay advantage. We'll provide more details on our first two Elites, Seamus and Ernst, closer to their arrival.
Heroes in Battlefield?

Fuck off DICE. What a joke, all of the talent that made everything from Battlefield 1942 through Battlefield 3 must have left the company long ago.

And still no other factions until October, a full YEAR since release.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Should probably note in the OP that "time savers" (weapon unlock packs) have been around in the Battlefield franchise for every entry since Bad Company 2. There's nothing new there.

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I will always despite the notion of buying "Time Savers" in games like these - it just means that the progression is purposely stunted to nudge players toward paying real cash to circumvent it. It's pretty much why I haven't gotten into a Battlefield game for a long while - the progression always feels like it takes way too long for the hours I personally put in.

BordyDogue

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
And there it is. I wish these things were more critisized by journos but releasing them after release means nobody cares anymore. There should be a grading system based on much a game (where you pay up front) is monetized

Should probably note in the OP that "time savers" (weapon unlock packs) have been around in the Battlefield franchise for every entry since Bad Company 2. There's nothing new there.
Does that make it acceptable

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Heroes in Battlefield?

Fuck off DICE. What a joke, all of the talent that made everything from Battlefield 1942 through Battlefield 3 must have left the company long ago.

And still no other factions until October, a full YEAR since release.
They are not heroes. They are not better or stronger. Its all cosmetic and the have a different voice and melee weapon.
I like it.

D0DG1S_WkAAoJkW.jpg

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
They should have kept it to cosmetic only since people will focus on the time saving MTX. I already have the guns I want unlocked and as long as they don't screw with the current progression, I'm not sure this is really an issue. We knew MTX were going to be introduced to pay for the free content, we just didn't know how. Maybe they can reverse the time saving MTX but I'm sure they won't.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Fuck time savers. Everything else looks fine

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Elite skins sounds awesome.

Why are people btw surprised? They explained that BOINS were coming before even BFV came out?

People just need a reason to be angry, as usual. :) It's not like these things were announced months ago, and have been a standard practice for all of our games since 2011.

I will always despite the notion of buying "Time Savers" in games like these - it just means that the progression is purposely stunted to nudge players toward paying real cash to circumvent it. It's pretty much why I haven't gotten into a Battlefield game for a long while - the progression always feels like it takes way too long for the hours I personally put in.

That has never been a thing.

Oct 25, 2017
Good stuff keeping them away from the gameplay balance. No issues with cosmetics or time savers. My time is worth the money. V is such a good game, too. No problems here.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
If this eventually gets us to the Pacific theater with a huge US/Japan addition then so be it. I will let all you folks buy the MTXs to fund the Wake Island remake.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
There's no point in saying anything cos people are going to spend money on this and FIFA until the heat death of the universe. Proper Brexit behaviour.

Oct 25, 2017
Fucking LOL. Support has been dogshit, in terms of both content and cheaters on PC, but yet they want more money above what people already paid for their continually disappointing game. Yeah, sure.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Unless they've changed it, all those weapons you missed can be purchased using the in game currency.
You indeed can after that week has ended. Same for vehicles etc. If you didnt unlock it in that Tides of War week when that ends you can straight up buy it with company coins right away. Its not that expensive also.