• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Word from the Premier League, following that meeting between all 20 clubs. "It was unanimously decided to suspend the Premier League with the intention of returning on 4 April, subject to medical advice and conditions at the time," reads a statement. The Premier League's chief executive, Richard Masters, describes this is an "unprecedented sitaution" and adds: "Above all, we wish Mikel Arteta and Callum Hudson-Odoi speedy recoveries, and everyone else affected by Covid-19. In this unprecedented situation, we are working closely with our clubs, Government, The FA and EFL and can reassure everyone the health and welfare of players, staff and supporters are our priority. Despite the challenges, it is the Premier League's aim to reschedule the displaced fixtures, including those played by academy sides, when it is safe to do so. In this fast-moving environment, further updates will be provided when appropriate."
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ball-set-for-shutdown-due-to-coronavirus-live

Had to be done, wishing Arteta a speedy recovery. My poor reds though...we can't catch a break...

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Right decision, but April 4th is a pipedream. The question is whether or not the games are able to played period before the next season starts.

Oct 27, 2017
Right decision, but April 4th is a pipedream. The question is whether or not the games are able to played period before the next season starts.

Not saying you're wrong as I completely agree with you, but we keep seeing these sort of measures target a couple of weeks away to resume. I wonder what that's based on. I mean all conventional thought seems to suggest this absolutely will not suddenly clear or be less of a risk over the coming weeks, right?

Lyre

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2020
London
Very strange territory now, we're probably not going to be back on for a while, and this year's fixtures cannot disrupt next season's. They also can't just call the league as it'd be very unfair on the clubs to be relegated.

Uncharted waters.

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not saying you're wrong as I completely agree with you, but we keep seeing these sort of measures target a couple of weeks away to resume. I wonder what that's based on. I mean all conventional thought seems to suggest this absolutely will not suddenly clear or be less of a risk over the coming weeks, right?
This is costing everyone involved an absolute fortune- I'm assuming that they don't want to delay any longer than they absolutely have to, and would rather delay further as and when they need to rather than be faced with a scenario where they're delaying longer than is necessary.

Killzig

Oct 25, 2017
Very strange territory now, we're probably not going to be back on for a while, and this year's fixtures cannot disrupt next season's. They also can't just call the league as it'd be very unfair on the clubs to be relegated.

Uncharted waters.
The rumored proposal going around for the DFB yesterday was that the top flight would expand and no teams would be relegated this year but instead there would be more relegated next year. So they might try something like that in England.

Big Boy

Oct 25, 2017
April isn't happening. By all accounts, the virus is expected to peak in 10-14 weeks.

Lyre

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2020
London
No it won't.

That would be chaos for the teams in promotion places in lower leagues. It will be resumed when safe and the season completed, presumably in the time vacated by the moving or cancellation of the Euros.

When do you think the league will resume again? Things may only get worse.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017

There's no evidence either way since the virus hasn't been around long enough for anybody to see how it behaves in the long term. I imagine it's more "we'll stop it for a few weeks for now then see what happens at the time, rather than cancel everything for 6 months+ and potentially cause mass panic and lose a huge amount of money then find out it was unnecessary"

No chance this blows over by early April though lol and they are definitely being extremely optimistic

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
When do you think the league will resume again? Things may only get worse.
I don't know, but it will need to be finished at some point. The financial implications of telling teams in promotion places that they aren't getting promoted and will have to try again next year would be massive. Not to mention those teams would see it as unfair that the teams in relegation places would essentially get a free pass to remain in the division. Then there's teams in the Champions League / Europa League places who would miss out on potentially hundreds of millions in extra revenue.

At some point they will need to finish the fixtures, even if the games are played behind closed doors.

OP
OP
Zombine

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
I like bantz, but they are 25 points clear. To wish a virus that has killed thousands on the league so Liverpool doesn't win their first title in 30 years is in poor taste.

zuf

Oct 25, 2017
Feck me, Liverpool are cursed. Even if they manage to win the league, probably won't be any fans there to see it.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
I don't know, but it will need to be finished at some point. The financial implications of telling teams in promotion places that they aren't getting promoted and will have to try again next year would be massive. Not to mention those teams would see it as unfair that the teams in relegation places would essentially get a free pass to remain in the division. Then there's teams in the Champions League / Europa League places who would miss out on potentially hundreds of millions in extra revenue.

At some point they will need to finish the fixtures, even if the games are played behind closed doors.

The EFL, which has also been postponed until then, is already looking at finishing the matches in the summer, if Euro 2020 is moved on Tuesday. The Premier League and EFL will know a lot more by April 4th if and when they can continue and finish those matches, or if they need to cancel the season.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
It's April 4th because it's the next international break. In effect it's until April 19th really. Thing is I highly doubt games restart before may at the earliest if at all for the season.

I understand there's a lot of economic interests riding on completing the various championships (PL, L1, Serie A, Liga and son on) but we may have a clean year (no championship winners, no CL winner, no EL winner) which will complicate things a lot for the next season (and probably make LFC supporters think they're cursed)

Deleted member 290

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On the one hand, Liverpool not winning the league would be fucking hilarious, but on the other hand it'll only give them something else to whinge incessantly about until the end of time.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
They should just declare this season null and void, split all prize money equally, go again in September.

Sorry Liverpool and Leeds, too bad, so sad.

I like bantz, but they are 25 points clear. To wish a virus that has killed thousands on the league so Liverpool doesn't win their first title in 30 years is in poor taste.

Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that. - Bill Shankly

On the one hand, Liverpool not winning the league would be fucking hilarious, but on the other hand it'll only give them something else to whinge incessantly about until the end of time.

The only thing worse than a whinging Scouser is a gloating Scouser, so I'll take the whinging.

CovFan

Oct 25, 2017
I can't see Euro 2020 happening now. Personal bias means I don't want this season's results to be wiped out but I think they might be.

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
The global crisis we're facing isn't funny.

Your own investment in the outcome of the league is not a reason to argue it shouldn't be suspended nor is it a reason to make a joke out of the league potentially not getting a resolution.

Lives and jobs are at risk, joking about it goes beyond banter. Consider this the first and only warning.

OP
OP
Zombine

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
I can't see Euro 2020 happening now. Personal bias means I don't want this season's results to be wiped out but I think they might be.

Euro 2020 (Now 2021?) would be determined by the status of the Olympics. I feel for the players who may be performing double or triple duty over the next few years.

Edit:

Klopp's response in regards to the league and football in general:

www.liverpoolfc.com

Jürgen Klopp's message to supporters

Jürgen Klopp has today issued the following message to supporters following the Premier League's decision to postpone all football activity until April 3 at the earliest.

Jürgen Klopp said:
I don't think this is a moment where the thoughts of a football manager should be important, but I understand for our supporters they will want to hear from the team and I will front that.

First and foremost, all of us have to do whatever we can to protect one another. In society I mean. This should be the case all the time in life, but in this moment I think it matters more than ever.

I've said before that football always seems the most important of the least important things. Today, football and football matches really aren't important at all.

Of course, we don't want to play in front of an empty stadium and we don't want games or competitions suspended, but if doing so helps one individual stay healthy - just one - we do it no questions asked.

If it's a choice between football and the good of the wider society, it's no contest. Really, it isn't.

Today's decision and announcement is being implemented with the motive of keeping people safe. Because of that we support it completely. We have seen members of teams we compete against become ill. This virus has shown that being involved in football offers no immunity. To our rival clubs and individuals who are affected and to those who later will become so, you are in our thoughts and prayers.

None of us know in this moment what the final outcome will be, but as a team we have to have belief that the authorities make decisions based on sound judgement and morality.

Yes, I am the manager of this team and club and therefore carry a leadership responsibility with regards to our future on the pitch. But I think in the present moment, with so many people around our city, the region, the country and the world facing anxiety and uncertainty, it would be entirely wrong to speak about anything other than advising people to follow expert advice and look after themselves and each other.

The message from the team to our supporters is only about your well-being. Put your health first. Don't take any risk. Think about the vulnerable in our society and act where possible with compassion for them.

Please look after yourselves and look out for each other.

You'll Never Walk Alone,
Jürgen

SuperHans

Oct 27, 2017
There are only 9 games left. They should get together over a weekend and do a 5-aside blitz for the remaining games.

SuperHans

Oct 27, 2017
Euro 2020 (Now 2021?) would be determined by the status of the Olympics. I feel for the players who may be performing double or triple duty over the next few years.

Edit:

Klopp's response in regards to the league and football in general:

www.liverpoolfc.com

Jürgen Klopp's message to supporters

Jürgen Klopp has today issued the following message to supporters following the Premier League's decision to postpone all football activity until April 3 at the earliest.
Class act.