• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

boris.JPG

Guy.brush

Oct 27, 2017
en.wikipedia.org

BCG vaccine - Wikipedia

"Spain: Past national BCG vaccination policy for all from 1965 to 1981."
Well, that's good for me and many people I know at least (I was born in 1977). I guess that's probably the one that left the scar I have on my left shoulder? I don't know if there's other vaccines that do that.
Smallpox vaccine leaves a very similar scar. I think most people in here are actually mistaking their smallpox vaccine scar for BCG vaccine scar.
https://www.healthline.com/health/smallpox-vaccine-scar

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
Thank goodness the BCG vaccine is mandatory here. I'll wear my smallpox and BCG scars with pride.

TickleMeElbow

Oct 31, 2017
I got it when I was born, but I read that it's only effective for 20 years so that shit prolly wore off by now lol.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I had this. I too have the ugly bellybutton shoulder scar. "A few of you may experience some swelling or reaction" Cue weeks of painful swelling, pain, every side effect they mentioned, slow recovery.

However knowing I may have superpowers is cool!
To be fair if you got yours in school collectively I'm guessing all that pain and swelling came from everyone punching each other in the arm. In our school you were looking over your shoulder constantly for the next week or two

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair if you got yours in school collectively I'm guessing all that pain and swelling came from everyone punching each other in the arm. In our school you were looking over your shoulder constantly for the next week or two

Well duh how else are we going to build immunity to a face punch or head butt? Mine actually became infected which was also common - in part from being thoroughly punched.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Well duh how else are we going to build immunity to a face punch or head butt? Mine actually became infected which was also common - in part from being thoroughly punched.
Ooooh nasty. Was lucky enough to avoid any infection but yeah that was a rough period lol. I know a few kids had theirs kinda burst from the punching. Its weird to think about how normal that was now. Even the teachers didn't make much a of a deal of it.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ooooh nasty. Was lucky enough to avoid any infection but yeah that was a rough period lol. I know a few kids had theirs kinda burst from the punching. Its weird to think about how normal that was now. Even the teachers didn't make much a of a deal of it.

Yeah the shit we took for granted. People tried to keep their birthday secret to avoid violent congratulations.

Rowsdower

Prophet of Truth - The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
My mom got this in Quebec back when she was two (born in 1955). Well, hope it helps prevent serious complications if she gets COVID-19.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
I would hope that every single data point imaginable is being examined because it's clear that the outcomes are dramatically different between countries and states, and sometimes even zip codes.

I hope for Japan's sake there is some truth to this because they were far too slow in enacting a state of emergency.

Cycas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't there an oral TB vaccine given in the 80/90's, I asked my Mum a while back why I didn't have a scar and she said I had the oral vaccine. Is that right?

edit: just Googled and seems there is an oral vaccine.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
My brother and I punched each other in the arm mercilessly when we were given the BCG injection in high school. Both of us have pointlessly exaggerated scarring from it.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I had no idea they stopped giving it to schoolkids in the UK in 2005. That was my final year in secondary school so must have been one of the last lucky few *pats arm*. Can remember I went swimming with it and it turned disgusting.

powersurge

Nov 2, 2017
Pensacola, FL
Any mention of any protection if you have HAD tuberculosis? Most of my family have lung issues and one had tuberculosis in the 70's. Being in the US unsure if we have had the vaccine or not (everyone's over 30).

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have some sort of vaccine scar high on my right arm.
I'm guessing BCG comparing it to pictures online.
I'm a little confused as to why I have it. I'm from the US, born in 1976, lived in Spain for most of 1978, and spent the rest of my life so far back in the US.
Maybe that policy in Spain applied to foreigners? We lived in town, not on the Navy base.

Last edited:

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
I have some sort of vaccine scar high on my right arm.
I'm guessing BCG comparing it to pictures online.
I'm a little confused as to why I have it. I'm from the US, born in 1976, lived in Spain for most of 1978, and spent the rest of my life so far back in the US.
It could be the smallpox vaccine. Both leave scars.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had to get a shot for TB for a job several years ago because there were some wild animals and apparently they can carry it. Is that the same thing as what the OP is talking about?

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You got it when you were 10 or 11, I remember cus it was neat the end of Primary School and it hurt like shit for aggggeeeess, it was the most painful vaccination I got.

I had mine aged about 15 in the UK.

This was that shit where they did the circle prick test then jabbed you and give you this massive blister that scarred, right?

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty sure I never got the BCH vaccine; I'm too young in the US. I do have a scar on my upper arm that looks similar to the BCG scar but that was from the smallpox vaccine that I got in the Air Force; it leaves a similar-looking scar.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
I had mine aged about 15 in the UK.

This was that shit where they did the circle prick test then jabbed you and give you this massive blister that scarred, right?
Yeah, that's the one. Was it only people in Northern Ireland that got it in primary school??? Cus everyone is saying high school but it was defo Primary School for me, I even remember a girl who was in my class (defo from primary school class, as we went to different high schools) who couldn't get it because her family had a history of being badly affected by TB and I think they weren't sure how the Bcg would react? Did no one else get it in primary school?

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, that's the one. Was it only people in Northern Ireland that got it in primary school??? Cus everyone is saying high school but it was defo Primary School for me, I even remember a girl who was in my class (defo from primary school class, as we went to different high schools) who couldn't get it because her family had a history of being badly affected by TB and I think they weren't sure how the Bcg would react? Did no one else get it in primary school?

Well we (town in England) had a 3-tier Lower/Middle/Upper school system, and I definitely had mine in the drama room at my upper school (age 13-18)

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017

I'm from Wales and definitely had it in primary school too.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It may also just be a case of a correlation between this sort of routine vaccination and general living standards across the population, so I'd not get massively excited just yet.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
Wasn't it a case that you had it twice? I could have sworn my last was a second and final booster.

I'm not sure to be honest. I can only remember one instance of getting my BCG.

But I had a bunch of other vaccinations in school so it's possible I had two.

Memory from those days is fairly hazy outside of some standout moments, the blister and ensuing scar is definitely one of them lol.

Fritz

Oct 26, 2017
My sister got it, born 1971. I didn't born 1981. This was in Germany.

wait no, that was against smallpox

Last edited:

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Hated doing the annual test for TB because of it. Always got a false positive, which meant extra testing and time at the doctor. Eventually they just stopped doing it, thankfully.