• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
EJQTMODWoAEdGCj.jpg

4DwfZ-S94waf_jDJV0Z474_AKjn4SxSHiDhJfDYN3B4iUw28ec4Fuv6DgVAfzR766D7jOE5A89MHa_eNkUAQBS38Ii8VhOX83zuY--yh_dR4kc7bpQftqYT7obyEOkRT96g
lol, somehow it didn't occur to me that someone would do this, well-played. :P

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Much has been said about giant crocs, but arguably the most badass one with possibly the most horrific skull lived AFTER the dinosaurs.

Purrusaurus

LOOK AT THOSE JAWS

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
This thread will come in handy, awesome stuff. Lots of great ideas for monsters and creatures in here.

Suicide King

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Our era has the largest animal that ever lived, so that's pretty cool.
Also, if you want to include animals that are now extinct but were alive at the same time as humans, there's a lot of cool shit. New Zealand had a species of eagle that was big enough to, and probably did on occasion, carry away human children.
I like the concept of Maori warriors straight up going to war against Haast's eagles because they were basically murderous big birds who killed children. There should be a movie about that.

AGoodODST

Oct 28, 2017
I might be wrong but isn't it debated whether those huge pterosaurs actually flew but rather moved about on the ground? Sure I read that.

Cool fucking thread tho.

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like basing fantastical creatures on real animals, at least to some extent, is a smart thing to do.

At the very least, this has served Capcom well with Monster Hunter.

That's so far what I've been doing for my game. I'm also trying to pull a lot from prehistoric creatures. The Pterosaur at the start of my thread happens to be one Im already going to be using but some of these I had never seen, so much great stuff in here.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia

robot

Oct 27, 2017
Looking through the thread, I suspect it's partially because all these cool animals have lame-ass names.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Have we done Chalicotheres in here, yet? Prehistoric horse gorilla.

tumblr_inline_o5hl82WDTm1rmuh86_540.jpg
What's weird was that there were two versions of these things (knuckle walkers and the regular walkers, you can see the knuckle walker in 1 and 2) and basically lived together because they had two different niches.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
I'm fascinated by the idea that the Midwest was a Savannah with hyenas, rhinos, elephants, lions, cheetahs as well as extant species like bison and antelope and bear.

What's weird was that there were two versions of these things (knuckle walkers and the regular walkers, you can see the knuckle walker in 1 and 2) and basically lived together because they had two different niches.

These were so dope

Dec 4, 2017
Those physical differences can also be found in other orders as well. For instance, the sea hippoes came in two versions, one with limbs closer to those of modern hippoes (Desmostylidae), and one with limbs ending in paddles (Paleoparadoxiidae). One of them specialized in shallow coastal waters, the other was semipelagic.

robot

Oct 27, 2017
Hey, someone else named a dinosaur Thanos.

That is what it is called now, scientifically.

And no it's not named after mythology. It's straight up named after the purple Marvel man.

Thanos simanattoi
Thanos_simonattoi.png

Pop culture names like this make me wonder if, a long time from now, the order gets flipped and people think Thanos is named after that one kinda-goofy dinosaur.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
Those physical differences can also be found in other orders as well. For instance, the sea hippoes came in two versions, one with limbs closer to those of modern hippoes (Desmostylidae), and one with limbs ending in paddles (Paleoparadoxiidae). One of them specialized in shallow coastal waters, the other was semipelagic.
I wish sea hippos and calicotheres are still alive today.

actually maybe just the calicotheres. Normal hippos are already pretty cool.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually wrong. The two forms did not have different niches. They had two forms to do the same niche. Amazing.

Oct 28, 2017
England
I've said it before and I'll say it again, we desperately need the BBC to revive the Walking With... series to showcase some of these fascinating creatures. I don't want to hear Branagh say "T-Rex", pick some of these lesser known ones and make them the stars!

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
There is an amazing new documentary that is only two episodes long called Amazing Dinoworld. It basically talks about recent discoveries including feathers, rearing the young and other new behaviors.

BorkBork

Oct 25, 2017
Just a plug for EONS the PBS Digital Studios channel. Great content on prehistoric life, excellent presenters:

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
What is going on with his arm? And he looks so happy! Like he's doing a ninja run.
AlrdPTh.png
Thanos was an Abelisaur. Abelisaurs are renown for their tiny vestigial arms.

People make fun of T-Rex arms, but they still retained some functionality (seeing how they were muscled and all) compared to arms these guys had. These were vestigial.

There is an amazing new documentary that is only two episodes long called Amazing Dinoworld. It basically talks about recent discoveries including feathers, rearing the young and other new behaviors.
The end of episode one legit hit me hard lol.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
That's so far what I've been doing for my game. I'm also trying to pull a lot from prehistoric creatures. The Pterosaur at the start of my thread happens to be one Im already going to be using but some of these I had never seen, so much great stuff in here.
I just thought about it, but would works of speculative zoology (scientifically grounded speculative future animals or alternate timeline aliens or future aliens) be of use to you?

Here's a cool web-site for imagined alien fauna

elLOaSTy

Oct 27, 2017
I just thought about it, but would works of speculative zoology (scientifically grounded speculative future animals or alternate timeline aliens or future aliens) be of use to you?

Here's a cool web-site for imagined alien fauna

This is actually surprisingly and oddly relevant. I have a form of monsters that if added is going to be centered around otherworldly creatures. Ive been looking into cryptids, folklore, deep sea creatures and science fiction for concepts. This is more in line with the kind of thinking I wanted though, speculative off world life forms. Amazing. Just having that vergbage makes looking up references more viable now.

Very much appreciated for sure. Thank you.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
This is actually surprisingly and oddly relevant. I have a form of monsters that if added is going to be centered around otherworldly creatures. Ive been looking into cryptids, folklore, deep sea creatures and science fiction for concepts. This is more in line with the kind of thinking I wanted though, speculative off world life forms. Amazing. Just having that vergbage makes looking up references more viable now.

Very much appreciated for sure. Thank you.
Here is a project from a YouTuber about creating your own life forms and charting out its evolution based on what we know so far.

youtu.be

Alien Biospheres: Part 1 - The Planet (ft. Artifexian)

By popular demand, today I bring you my first ever video concerning speculative biology. In this preliminary episode of my upcoming series on designing alien...