• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Yesterday

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone post any Arthropleuras? Love prehistoric giant arthropods

lQZXE2V.png

Rodan

Nov 3, 2017
I'm just glad massive spiders exist as a solely fictional creation. There are some known "arachnid" type species that are larger than the current largest spider (Goliath Birdeater) but thankfully nothing the size of a car or anything like that. That we know of.

When I was a kid, I thought Carnotaur was unfairly represented, because I thought it was just like a TRex but with horns. Then I found out it had tiny fingerless arms, and that's just absurd (I'm still hoping one day they'll announce they just got the fossils wrong and it had some cool hands/claws)

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Having a huge thing like that fly around? Fuuuuuuck that!

Being reminded how HUGE and dangerous all these Dinosaurs were... are there any conspiracy theories that "man" HAD to take them all out to survive in this world long term?

I guess we just got lucky huh. šŸ˜¬

But it's interesting... there were all these huge living things, but there were no humans that large or even half as large.

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just glad massive spiders exist as a solely fictional creation. There are some known "arachnid" type species that are larger than the current largest spider (Goliath Birdeater) but thankfully nothing the size of a car or anything like that. That we know of.

When I was a kid, I thought Carnotaur was unfairly represented, because I thought it was just like a TRex but with horns. Then I found out it had tiny fingerless arms, and that's just absurd (I'm still hoping one day they'll announce they just got the fossils wrong and it had some cool hands/claws)

mn5azc6dxryx-768x1024.jpg

Oct 28, 2017
Having a huge thing like that fly around? Fuuuuuuck that!

Being reminded how HUGE and dangerous all these Dinosaurs were... are there any conspiracy theories that "man" HAD to take them all out to survive in this world long term?

I guess we just got lucky huh. šŸ˜¬

But it's interesting... there were all these huge living things, but there were no humans that large or even half as large.
Depends what you define as human (big but not dino big) but part of the reason for that is the square-cube law and our metabolism would literally cook us alive. The larger you are, the slower your metabolism has to be; the smaller you are, the faster your metabolism has to be. Also there was more oxygen in our atmosphere allowing for Megaflora and fauna.

Murfield

Oct 27, 2017
Anomalcaris: Earliest known apex predator (from the cambrian period)

Anomalocaris_reconstruction.jpg

anomalocaris-size.jpg

They have evidence of a filter feeder version as well with brushes on its mandibles instead of spikes

JetBazooka

Banned
Jan 25, 2018
Something about the appearance of those Azhdarchids is downright unsettling to me...
All of the animals in the thread creators 1st post look unsettling, creepy, and alien. I actually think dinosaurs are less scary then all the animals being posted in this thread.
Its like uncanny valley animal edition. The giraffe would even be freaked out

Oct 28, 2017

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I could see a movie about the Maori arriving in New Zealand and fighting the giant Moas. Would have to add some fiction though because I don't think they were actually dangerous

FOZnaSn.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Nice to know that Monster Hunter is about time travel:
The dinocelaphians.

Bradysaurus is the doggo of the permian. Just look at this good boy.

h4wYuVs.jpg
Slagtoth
A lot of people are unaware of how diverse crocodilians were at one point.
default-1464360350-98-galloping-crocodiles-ate-dinosaurs-in-north-africa.jpg

Some of them could possibly run you down like lion. ...Some things, I'm glad are extinct.
Lagiacrus

Gigatoraptor was an Oviraptor playing a T.rex sized chicken.
Gigantoraptor_BW.jpg
Yian Kut Ku/Qurupeco

Also, who can forget Megalania: a kaiju sized relative to Komodo Dragons and monitor lizards:
megalania-78ad95d7-cc76-4c93-9f41-dd994130b15-resize-750.jpeg
Ludroth

OP
OP
Toxi

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
RTBnGYz.jpg

Helicoprion--A shark relative that had what looked an awful lot like a buzzsaw in its mouth.
Something a number of people miss about Helicoprion was that it could grow to be fucking enormous. Based on the tooth whorls we have the largest specimens were estimated to be over 10 meters long, far larger than a modern great white.

This one is debatable since there are many interpretations of how the "Buzzsaw" like teeth were implemented

rsbl20130057-g1.jpg
We actually are pretty clear now on the position of the buzzsaw thanks to one of the buzzsaws being preserved with soft tissue impressions. It's L in this picture.

OP
OP
Toxi

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Mother fucking Andrewsarcus. Largest terrestrial mammal predator of all time. Ancestor to the modern day sheep believe it or not. The Eocene period had tons of awesome creatures.

latest
Second to Megistotherium (which actually shows up in FFXIII).

megistotherium-size.jpg

That's Arthropleura.

Here's our boy Jaekelopterus:

maxresdefault.jpg

I submit Basiliosaurus, whose name translates to "king lizard."

m-3929.jpg

It's actually a whale.

Deleted member 2779

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thread brings me back to Primeval, what a dope show. It did give me an irrational fear of swimming pools though lol

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
It's really sad when you think about how many species existed and died long before we ever did and also so many that existed and we killed them. Fuck humans man.

We're a blip on the radar compared to how long ago some of these species existed. Unless we manage to acidify the oceans to the point where the food chain shuts down entirely, we'll be a blip on the radar long after we're gone and yet stranger things rule the earth.