• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You've seen previews of the feature in one game, in one of its levels. If I were you, I would take a nice, deep breath.

Eh, this feels reductive. We've only seen one preview of it, but we've heard at least a few other examples of how it's being supported in other games (at least at launch), and the people bringing us that information are largely raving about it themselves.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I doubt it. Those sensations add to the experience but it won't leave behind any controllers that do not have it.

HypnoToad344

Jul 11, 2020
It's possible, but somewhat less likely given Microsoft's cross-generational approach. They'd also be well behind Sony in terms of mindshare and adoption if it's a mid-gen revision as you suggest, as it actually would be a tacked on feature rather than a standard part of the platforms identity. If you're really interested in supporting or experiencing in the feature, it'd make a lot more sense to just buy a PS5.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Eh, this feels reductive. We've only seen one preview of it, but we've heard at least a few other examples of how it's being supported in other games (at least at launch), and the people bringing us that information are largely raving about it themselves.
It's being raved about by enthusiasts that get hyped about new things. Not saying it's bad but if it's not something that the average gamer likes or sees the benefit in, it won't really take off like we have seen with other nifty features.

We won't know for a while if devs will actually start to use it well or if it will end up a gimmicky feature that people end up finding annoying and turning off and devs abandon actually really using it. That's been done forever in gaming.

If it sticks it'll be cool and I could see Microsoft doing a revision, if it doesn't they won't.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Quote from person who has never tried gyro aiming and thinks that it has anything to do with the Wii's waggle crap
Gyro aiming is nifty for sure but everytime I've tried it I've disliked it and most people I know just turn it off in games that have it.

It's definitely not a gimmick it's just not widespread or done well enough often enough for the general consumer to really adopt it.

I know in theory gyro aiming is better but it feels awful to me everytime I've tried it

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's being raved about by enthusiasts that get hyped about new things. Not saying it's bad but if it's not something that the average gamer likes or sees the benefit in, it won't really take off like we have seen with other nifty features.

We won't know for a while if devs will actually start to use it well or if it will end up a gimmicky feature that people end up finding annoying and turning off and devs abandon actually really using it. That's been done forever in gaming.

If it sticks it'll be cool and I could see Microsoft doing a revision, if it doesn't they won't.

While none of us can say for sure if it'll stick, I don't get pretending this is on the same trajectory as something like the touchpad lol. That's all.

Given the news of titles like Fornite supporting the controller, I already think this is clearly so far ahead of the features it's been compared to. Nobody was wondering if the touchpad was a killer feature last gen.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Gyro aiming is nifty for sure but everytime I've tried it I've disliked it and most people I know just turn it off in games that have it.

It's definitely not a gimmick it's just not widespread or done well enough often enough for the general consumer to really adopt it.

I know in theory gyro aiming is better but it feels awful to me everytime I've tried it
You absolutely can dislike it, the problem is people calling it a gimmick like you said. Every time I see people clamoring for companies to NOT implement gyro, I get confused. It's an option. The only reason I can see why you wouldn't want an option to be implemented is if you think it can provide an advantage in multiplayer. In which case, you're admitting it's better... so... lmao

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Doesn't Xbox already have something similar? It's definitely not the same, but I recall feeling some variable resistance on the triggers when playing Forza Horizon 4. Could be they improve that tech further, but I doubt it. Unless it takes off with third-parties and becomes a big selling point for PS5, they won't care.

Yeah, the standard XB1 controller has the "normal" two-type rumble motors in the body of the controller, as well as an independent haptic motor in each of the triggers (4 total actuators, AFAIK). It doesn't add resistance, but it changes the haptic response based on pressure and/or gameplay

The example I always use from supported racing games: If you over-accelerate mid-turn, your tires lose grip, and you'll feel the throttle "give way" like you would on a FFB steering wheel on the right trigger. If the brakes lock, the normal braking vibration will drop until you fully release then re-engage on the left trigger. The closer you are to that limit for both acceleration and braking, the more intense the haptics for that mechanic feel, which lets you calibrate your input. If you're using ABS, you'll feel the "jittering" of the system rapidly dis/re-engaging during a hard brake, just on the left-trigger. And the whole time, you have the "stereo" effect for the road surface, so the left/right wheel suspension action when you change road surfaces comes through on those corresponding triggers, alongside those other effects.

Last edited:

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
While none of us can say for sure if it'll stick, I don't get pretending this is on the same trajectory as something like the touchpad lol. That's all.

Given the news of titles like Fornite supporting the controller, I already think this is clearly so far ahead of the features it's been compared to. Nobody was wondering if the touchpad was a killer feature last gen.
I am baffled at the comparison of these new features to the touchpad. For the life of me, I cannot remember articles singing the praises of the touchpad and how it is the best new thing about the DS4.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Quote from person who read one post and then made a knee-jerk reply without reading anything else from the thread.
Just read your explanation, and I'll just quote myself:
Every time I see people clamoring for companies to NOT implement gyro, I get confused. It's an option. The only reason I can see why you wouldn't want an option to be implemented is if you think it can provide an advantage in multiplayer. In which case, you're admitting it's better... so... lmao
Just don't use the option, that's fine. But why do you think it should "die"? The only reason I can think of is that you dislike the idea of people using it in multiplayer games. In which case... well, you know. It doesn't make sense unless you actually think it's good.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

The only comparison really is it's new controller tech.

If say the Haptics and 3D Rumble are at least similar and like nothing uses the 3D Rumble. Although the Haptics are apparently very easy to implement. My only concern is it will just be implemented lazy and it'll become annoying to the average person so they will turn it off and devs will stop using it. It all comes down heavily to if the developers see the benefit and use it well or not.

JoJoBae

Oct 25, 2017
Layton, UT
In a weird way I hope they do so it gets added to the Xinput standard on PC. But I don't really care if that's something they add or not. We did get 2 controller revisions from them this generation so you never know.

RhaZo

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, SP - Brazil
Well Dualshock 4 is full of useless features that only serve to deplete the batteries very fast.

I hope this time Sony use something that I don't have to mind for at least 10 hours and that this new controller is better used by Devs.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You absolutely can dislike it, the problem is people calling it a gimmick like you said. Every time I see people clamoring for companies to NOT implement gyro, I get confused. It's an option. The only reason I can see why you wouldn't want an option to be implemented is if you think it can provide an advantage in multiplayer. In which case, you're admitting it's better... so... lmao
Options are good for everyone.

I don't think gyro should die as I think it's great that people find it useful, I do wish devs would actually jump on board with it. Sony keeps adding it to their controllers but barely uses it themselves it's very odd.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
You've seen previews of the feature in one game, in one of its levels. If I were you, I would take a nice, deep breath.
Richard at Digital Foundry went as far as calling it a "revolution", and he did so in a calm and measured way. Using the words game-changer isn't exactly a big step away from that, given what we can reasonably expect from the haptics and triggers in specific staple genres like racers and shooters. The support is already looking much better than any previous peripheral or controller features, so the chances of this statement ringing true is much more likely than ever before.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Richard at Digital Foundry went as far as calling it a "revolution", and he did so in a calm and measured way. Using the words game-changer isn't exactly a big step away from that, given what we can reasonably expect from the haptics and triggers in specific staple genres like racers and shooters.
Until we get it into the hands of the general consumer and see how this is being implemented in games, calling it game changing is quite premature. Things can't be game changers if people don't care or use them. It's a sad reality for a lot of revolutionary tech.

Hell Kinect was revolutionary but it was never a game changer cause no devs were bothered to use it well outside of like, Just Dance lol

Granadier

Nov 4, 2018
Just read your explanation, and I'll just quote myself:

Just don't use the option, that's fine. But why do you think it should "die"? The only reason I can think of is that you dislike the idea of people using it in multiplayer games. In which case... well, you know. It doesn't make sense unless you actually think it's good.
I couldn't care less if people used it in multi games. I just personally think it's a development distraction and implementing it within controllers is just another battery drain along with added build cost.

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Like every new exciting tech... excitement is high and possibilities are endless at the beginning. Astrobots does a great job of showcasing the tech from the sounds of it.

Whether it is a legitimate game changer and not just a really cool gimmick is TBD I think.

Once the excitement dies down, is it going to be a legitimate game changer? Are haptics going to dramatically alter how you enjoy a game?

This is where I remain skeptical, they sound awesome but I think they'll become background noise at some point.
I was pretty impressed by the Switchs HD Rumble and Rumble Triggers on the Xbox One remote but neither of those failed to really make any significant impact outside of the rumble triggers in racing games or the mini games in 1-2 Switch.

Granadier

Nov 4, 2018
This is just revisionist history lol even enthusiasts were hard pressed to hype the Kinect.

It's not the same thing. At all.
Kinect as tech was indeed revolutionary. It's what powers the iPhone's Face ID in a way shrunk down form. Gaming just wasn't it's correct usage application though.

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This is just revisionist history lol even enthusiasts were hard pressed to hype the Kinect.

It's not the same thing. At all.
Its not revisionist. The technology behind Kinect was revolutionary but no one in the end really care about it.

Yes more enthusiasts are excited about Haptics, but the point stands. It comes down to how the general gamer reacts to it and how devs implement it to decide if it's a game changer or if it's used in gimmicky ways.

Enthusiasts can hype it up all they want, it's really cool tech, but until we really see it in action and see how most people react to it, calling it anything close to game changing is just unfounded hype

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Every PS5 will have those controllers and games (at least from first party or exclusives) can be deliberately designed around them. Even with a refresh, there's no guarantee Xbox users will flock to a new controller. That's when that functionality becomes either superfluous or targeting too small of a userbase.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
I couldn't care less if people used it in multi games. I just personally think it's a development distraction and implementing it within controllers is just another battery drain along with added build cost.
A development distraction to give more people options? That can be disabled if you don't want them? Gyro likely doesn't drain the battery, or even excessively. The Switch Pro controller has it and it has one of the best battery lifes of any controller.

More options are great.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kinect as tech was indeed revolutionary. It's what powers the iPhone's Face ID in a way shrunk down form. Gaming just wasn't it's correct usage application though.

Was Kinect being hailed as the single coolest feature of any piece of next gen hardware by anybody?

If not, I don't understand why we're comparing it to the DualSense, something already visibly driving a ton of excitement among consumers and third party devs, vs a peripheral we all saw the writing on the wall for.

The comparison just doesn't work.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Until we get it into the hands of the general consumer and see how this is being implemented in games, calling it game changing is quite premature. Things can't be game changers if people don't care or use them. It's a sad reality for a lot of revolutionary tech.

Hell Kinect was revolutionary but it was never a game changer cause no devs were bothered to use it well outside of like, Just Dance lol
Game-changing is a phrase that refers to the potential to change the outcome of something significantly. That said, this isn't an add-on peripheral that gets introduced 2-3 years into the cycle, nor is it comparable to the addition of a touchpad that for some reason people keep coming back to, nor is it a feature that Sony is throwing out there and hoping sticks given the impressive changes they've made to the development environment to make it as easy as possible (almost automatic) for devs to implement. They want it to work, the support of controller features is looking better than ever and the examples we've seen and heard about are "game-changing".

Bennibop

Oct 30, 2017
No they won't. You want adaptive triggers and haptic feedback buy a playstation, I mean why do people want these boxes to be identical.

RivalGT

Dec 13, 2017
The regular xbox one controller was updated many times as well. They added a headphone jack, and have since improved the RB and LB buttons, as well as adding Bluetooth to the controller. If anyone still has a day 1 xbox one controller, that controller is very different than the one we have now.

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020
MS had a patent for 'force-feedback" triggers since 2017. Who knows if the idea was scrapped or postponed but I wont be surprised if its finally implemented at some point.

PiranhaMan

Apr 26, 2020
If there is one thing I think Microsoft should upgrade the controller with is gyro. It gives more developers interest in using it if it was available in all of the consoles like the Switch and PS4. It is also way better for aiming: