• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dumbo11

Apr 29, 2018
My limited understanding is that the triggers would be difficult to replicate without violating Sony's patent. A legal alternative would need to be designed from scratch.

So it's certainly possible - but this might ship with the XSX2 rather than the XSX+.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
What does this mean? Do not try to enhance your product because the competition is doing the same?

It means its more likely the new dooms, elder scrolls, wastelands, evil withins and etcetera wont have gyro and haptic support on pcs (where they could) than they adding it to their controllers on xbox

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
People keep comparing haptics and adaptive triggers to gyro and the touchpad. You need to learn the difference between disruptive and additive. Gyro and touchpad are disruptive; they change the way you interact with your controller. Haptics and adaptive triggers are additive; they enhance the existing method for using controllers.

Disruptive tech in controllers rarely catches on, but additive very well could if the consumer base likes what it adds to the experience.

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
giphy.gif

that's rich

What are you talking about?

And are you going to reply to the body of the post or are you going to cherry-pick one sentence and troll?

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't Xbox already have something similar? It's definitely not the same, but I recall feeling some variable resistance on the triggers when playing Forza Horizon 4. Could be they improve that tech further, but I doubt it. Unless it takes off with third-parties and becomes a big selling point for PS5, they won't care.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
No it wouldn't. They would be releasing a controller with a gimmick that doesn't work on Xcloud or PC or for the majority of their games in general. They can't design a game around the gimmick or its stuck being used by a tiny subset of their users.

This would be the case even if it was there at launch. They are targeting beyond the console market where most people will be playing with a control system that doesn't have this.

Again, that contradicts the words you originally used.

Leonine

Sep 19, 2020
Microsoft could, would they? Doubt it, you may get it on their expensive line of controllers if they choose to do so.
If DualSense turns out to be as great as it's being talked about and devs have tools to easily implement such features into their games then Microsoft are already at a disadvantage from the get-go.

DualSense comes in every PS5, you'd need to buy a brand new controller for the Xbox line for it to work.

They'd also have to R&D a solution of their own given Sony's solution is patented.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Don't think so it would be hard for them to support without knowing everyone has it and with how they are focusing on cross platform etc

it would become an add on instead of a standard which is hardly ever supported

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
People keep comparing haptics and adaptive triggers to gyro and the touchpad. You need to learn the difference between disruptive and additive. Gyro and touchpad are disruptive; they change the way you interact with your controller. Haptics and adaptive triggers are additive; they enhance the existing method for using controllers.

Disruptive tech in controllers rarely catches on, but additive very well could if the consumer base likes what it adds to the experience.

Gyro and touchpad can be addictive as well and haptics can be disruptive if tied to gameplay mechanics
So.... that doesnt mean anything

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island

Adding resistance to a bow string pull or not allowing you to fully pull the trigger is not disruptive? It's certainly welcome in certain scenarios and I think it's cool but I wouldn't want that in a MP game.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't Xbox already have something similar? It's definitely not the same, but I recall feeling some variable resistance on the triggers when playing Forza Horizon 4. Could be they improve that tech further, but I doubt it. Unless it takes off with third-parties and becomes a big selling point for PS5, they won't care.
Xbox has small rumble motors in the triggers. It technically is additive to the controller, but it was subtle enough that I think most consumers don't even know about it, nor was it transformative enough for developers to get really excited, and thus it never caught on.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
A new controller I Don't know but I bet in hardware refresh in 3 years with more powerfull consoles for both series.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Don't think so it would be hard for them to support without knowing everyone has it and with how they are focusing on cross platform etc
I really dont understand why so many people are spewing this line of thinking.

If they dont have the updated controller, they wont get the benefits, if they do, they will. Why would some people having older models stop future support with new features?

People can upgrade if they feel its worth it. Not like MS doesn't put out a hundred custom controllers throughout the generations.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I really dont understand why so many people are spewing this line of thinking.

If they dont have the updated controller, they wont get the benefits, if they do, they will. Why would some people having older models stop future support with new features?

People can upgrade if they feel its worth it. Not like MS doesn't put out a hundred custom controllers throughout the generations.
Since when have add ons been widely supported? Never

they can do it but don't expect a lot of support if they do

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Gyro and touchpad can be addictive as well and haptics can be disruptive if tied to gameplay mechanics
So.... that doesnt mean anything
Gyro and touchpad change the way you interact with your controller. Touchpad requires YOU to move your thumbs off the traditional control scheme to do something on it, and gyro requires YOU to physically move the controller around in a way you don't in a traditional control scheme. They are disruptive.

Haptics and adaptive triggers don't change anything about what you as the player have to do with the controller. They're additive.

knightmawk

Dec 12, 2018
I could see an updated controller with higher resolution haptics, something that would benefit all games to some extent whether developers do anything fancy or not.

Adaptive triggers though... It all depends on wide adoption. If 3rd parties are using them frequently on PS5, yeah, maybe, but if it's just Sony first party games using them, probably not. Wait and see I 'spose.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
Gyro and touchpad change the way you interact with your controller. Touchpad requires YOU to move your thumbs off the traditional control scheme to do something on it, and gyro requires YOU to physically move the controller around in a way you don't in a traditional control scheme. They are disruptive.

Haptics and adaptive triggers don't change anything about what you as the player have to do with the controller. They're additive.

your trigger locking when the gun is jammed and stopping you from shooting is far more disruptive than having to move your fingers to the touchpad and do a natural motion to zoom in or out on a map or using gyro correction to fine tune your aim using the dual sticks

if added to a standard controller a feature is as disruptive or addictive as its implementation

Last edited:

Wing Scarab

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I was pointing out that the patent would make either option less and less attractive.
Licensing - Costly
Designing something to circumvent it - Costly.

Either which way your need to sound clever and condescending is cute either way.

Dont @ me, we arent discussing anything.
Wow someone look like they woke up on the wrong side of the bed. That's very cute. Pipe down fellow, there is no need for you to get uptight because someone corrected you on something.

Also licensing is cheaper than developing your own tech, it is the very reason why a lot of game development studios license game engines. Yes MS has the money to develop the tech themselves but it might be something they would rather licnese it than waste their time developing one.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
You've seen previews of the feature in one game, in one of its levels. If I were you, I would take a nice, deep breath.

a game made to showcase said feature no less

if i had to make my own prediction i would say Astrobot will be the best implementation of it in a long while.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Honestly haptic feedback and gyro should have been standard to begin with. Adaptive triggers should have been standard last gen....

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
MS cant even be bothered to put a damn gyro in the controller... an actual standard feature that MS is the sole hold out on.

You think they are going to make adaptive triggers an industry standard. Dont hold your breath

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I doubt it, since they don't even have a gyro in the new controllers. All they did was add a share button.
Frankly though, I don't see what all the hype is about with the DS5 though. Haptics are neat, but I'd much rather see meaningful changes to ergonomics like a split design and grip buttons.
After keyboard & mouse for decades on PC, the Switch Joy-Cons, and VR controllers, going back to a more traditional controller design feels bad.

The thing that makes me think they won't do it - particularly on an Elite controller - is that they'd have to remove one of the selling points of the controller, the manual trigger stops. Being able to flick a switch and have the triggers act as digital buttons for faster shooting/reactions etc is a big selling point of those controllers and is totally incompatible with adaptive triggers controlled by the game.
The adaptive triggers should eliminate the need for trigger stops.
For me, that's the main thing which is exciting about the DS5 - that it will be able to emulate short trigger stops and dual-stage triggers.
I use short-throw triggers (with haptics) and dual-stage triggers all the time on the Steam controller.

I also never thought it [gyro aim] was enough to actually have it enabled longer than to test it and think, "oh that's neat. anyways."
Maybe try, and you won't be dragged for your antiquated thoughts on gyro/motion controls.
Bad motion controls are things like the motion puzzles in Breath of the Wild.
Good motion controls are gyro aiming in games that implement it well (BotW is only passable in my opinion) and things like hand tracking in VR.

Gyro is motion control and not immersive at all.
It's so weird to see statements like these when it's the total opposite of my own experience.
I've never been more immersed than playing VR with motion controls, and even things like gyro aiming -especially with split controllers- helps to make control more natural and intuitive compared to analog sticks.

I just don't get people that only want "traditional" controls in their games and for things to be stuck back in the '90s as far as control is concerned, as if the original DualShock was the pinnacle of design and nothing could be better.

KanameYuuki

Dec 23, 2017
Colombia

That doesn't make much sense, gyro and touch pad add a new input method, adding to controllers, triggers interaction seems to be on the: make it harder to press or jam entirely, making them more disruptive, all cool tech ofc, sony did a great job adding to the controller, it has it all.

fog

Oct 28, 2017
Newcastle, UK
I imagine the whole Kinect with XBox One fiasco influenced Microsoft's decision to skip any input innovations this time around.

Only if Dualsense becomes a notable differentiator in multi-platform reviews will Microsoft consider updating their controller.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Depends if they feel the need to. My guess is that uptake ok implementation won't be high enough *shrug*

Granadier

Nov 4, 2018
Maybe try, and you won't be dragged for your antiquated thoughts on gyro/motion controls.
Bad motion controls are things like the motion puzzles in Breath of the Wild.
Good motion controls are gyro aiming in games that implement it well (BotW is only passable in my opinion) and things like hand tracking in VR.
You literally quoted a post of mine giving detailed reasons why I dislike the feature and my experiences with it through the generations, and then you replied with "Maybe just try it." Maybe just accept that some people don't like it even after trying it.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It means its more likely the new dooms, elder scrolls, wastelands, evil withins and etcetera wont have gyro and haptic support on pcs (where they could) than they adding it to their controllers on xbox
Why couldn't it just be part of their version specific optimisations? Also, there no reason why this can't be compatible with PC, I think it's likely it'll be part of their suite of cross compatible features.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
The adaptive triggers should eliminate the need for trigger stops.
For me, that's the main thing which is exciting about the DS5 - that it will be able to emulate short trigger stops and dual-stage triggers.

Only if they manually allow you to set them which I don't think they do? It's set by the game, no? That's not the same as being able to say 'I want my triggers to have zero throw and basically act as digital buttons for my entire Warzone session'. Which was definitely one of the biggest selling points of the controller for my Warzone crew.

t67443

Oct 30, 2017
MS cant even be bothered to put a damn gyro in the controller... an actual standard feature that MS is the sole hold out on.

You think they are going to make adaptive triggers an industry standard. Dont hold your breath
I've never once played a game on the Xbox and thought, "this game is missing gyro control." It's not a necessary feature like dual thumb sticks and triggers.

Deleted member 79058

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 25, 2020
People don't even know that Xbox One controllers have trigger vibration, so I don't think Microsoft will make any effort about updating their triggers.

El-Pistolero

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
Just like they did with the gyro and touchpad! It's so obvious tbh.

Most likely it's "SONY has cool new tech! It's used in some way on a bunch of launch titles, then about 2 years in, people forget that it's a thing and a small minority wishes it was used more"

I bet you that the opposite will happen: Players will get used to all features in the controller and become frustrated in their absence.

gameguy682

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Ontario, Canada
I could see Microsoft adding Gyro into their controllers like how did they the 3.5mm headphone jack (first an adapter for existing controllers, then built in), but I can't see adaptive triggers (although I hope I'm wrong on that) as they would need to have a new way of doing it unless Sony wants to let them use their patient.

Klokwerk

Oct 29, 2017
PlayStation has had Gyro for two generations now and everyone shouts its praises and yet Xbox still doesn't support it so I doubt we'll see Xbox do anything about Adaptive Triggers.

Much like Gyro, Adaptive Triggers will be mainly used in first party games and sparingly in third party games.

No, everybody says that but it's completely wrong, I saw a list where there were 20+ games already supporting it in launch window.

It's pretty easy to use it for devs, Sony made it very simple, nearly every game will use it. And yes, MS will probably copy it a few years down the line, like Share button. As they should.

LordBaztion

Oct 27, 2017
Lima Perú
unless it's the sole reason for PC users to start using the PS5 contoller instead of the Xbox one, I doubt it. Hoprefully the second iteration has back buttons.

thecaseace

May 1, 2018
I'm sure the quality of the tactile enhancements on DualSense will be a boon to many first party single player games over the course of the generation.

But I think the bigger missing element from the Xbox pad is gyro for me.

Gyro as an enhancement is much more far-reaching as it normally maps to camera control or aiming when it is used and both of those are something you do in almost every game.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
- Wifi support for Cloud Gaming purposes
- Gyro
- Haptic feedback
- Adaptive triggers

They are desperately in need of a refreshed controller. After feeling the Dualsense they still have the best ergonomics/design but such limited features I sincerely hope they DO update within the next 1-3 years.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they adopt: gyros, haptic feedback, adaptive triggers and bring back buttons/paddles to the non-Elite controllers.