• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you think Rey's name will get retconned in the next 10 years?

• Yes

Votes: 134 26.7%
  • No

Votes: 322 64.3%
  • It will happen, but in more than 10 years.

Votes: 45 9.0%

• Total voters

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
You know what the worst part about all this is? Star Wars, as a franchise, doesn't deserve to have this kind of attention and relevancy anymore.

Most of the films are bad. Most of the extended lore is bad (and that's the case for both the old AND new canon). Hell, even most of the video games are bad. The creators and managers of this franchise have no idea what they're doing. And worst of all, the fans keep taking the franchise seriously and expecting quality when we're now two decades in with nothing but garbage from the license.

Seriously... a franchise about space samurai and wizard monks shouldn't be this damn hard.
Even factoring in the sequel trilogy, only TWO live-action films have ever been rated as "rotten" by critics.

The original movies are rightly considered one of the greatest and most influential trilogies ever put to film, so the legacy is near-impossible to leave behind, and the ST was marketed as bringing back as many of the original heroes as possible.

And, let's be honest, for a while it looked like they succeeded! The return of Star Wars hit a golden period it hadn't enjoyed since the early 80s.
SWRT.png

32679815-15148345512996461.jpg

802463c77215ad541b91cf09af0def91e49d8703.jpg

eefqas82o1901.png

The-Mandalorian-character-poster-1-700x380.jpg

But there were cracks in the return (mostly with TFA hindsight and TLJ backlash from a vocal subset of fans).

MW-HX243_star_w_20191219191755_ZQ.jpg

These numbers are even out-of-date and ROS is now the lowest-rated Star Wars movie ever created - even in a world with the prequels.

But stuff like The Mandalorian and even much of the Disney-era Star Wars films have been very well received. Even a box office flop like Solo is STILL a good film worth watching.

It's just that ROS was the end. It was their "Endgame". It was the film to "conclude the Skywalker Saga" which began in the 1970s. It had nearly 40 decades of legacy it was promising to capitalize on and wrap up.

And it was a bellyflop.

If Episode IX had nailed the ending, none of the rest would've mattered and most fans would be content.

Instead, the final lines of the franchise and the final moments of the film are memes for how badly it was received.
3namvq.jpg

Marshall

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. Why would they? Doing so is catering to the angry man-child Star Wars fans for no particular reason. In fact, I'd wager Disney doesn't touch these or any of the trilogies at all.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Would it even be a retcon if Rey managed to track her family history and took on her parents last name? If they wanted to get rid of Skywalker that would seem to be the logical way to do it.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
The only way to save any of this is to make the entire sequel trilogy a Luke fever dream.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I have a feeling they'll probably stay away as much as possible from the Sequel Trilogy in the future.

Will likely focus on Prequel and Original stories going forward kinda like how The Mandlorian and the "High Republic", Clone wars, etc goes.

Oct 27, 2017
Nah, that's here to stay.

They're doing everything they can in supplemental media to fill in the plot holes and explain all the bullshit from Rise of Skywalker, but it was clear Lucasfilm was proud of that "moment".

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, they're just gonna focus on new characters and a new setting for the next mainline movies and try to leave that mess behind.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Would it even be a retcon if Rey managed to track her family history and took on her parents last name? If they wanted to get rid of Skywalker that would seem to be the logical way to do it.
Oh geez, I just realized...

What if they do a story where they find out Rey's MOTHER, the one who married Palpatine Jr., was related to the Skywalker family and just go "see? She really IS a Skywalker!"

It cheapens her choosing the name for herself but justifies it to the people laughing and mocking it... which I can totally see them doing eventually.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The sequel trilogy, specifically TROS, really broke some of you when it comes to discussing Star Wars.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Just burn all footage of The Rise of Skywalker and let Rian back at it.

Or "Days of Future Past" it. Have someone go back in time and stop the creation of the First Order so that the sequel trilogy never happened

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i'm pretty sure skywalkers will carry the next 'main numbered' saga.

though they'll be "skywalkers" (palps'/rey's lineage)

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
At this point, I'm only going to show my kids the original trilogy and be satisfied that they have seen everything cinematically worth watching in the SW universe.

Dec 12, 2017
I don't get the obsession w TLJ here. It's like a hipster teen loving things that are bad so that they can say they're different.
As a second act in a trilogy, TLJ does not work at all. Especially in the way Ruin disregarded almost everything from TFA. But I guess that's what happens when multi billion dollar companies don't plan things out in advance 🤷🏾‍♂️
You're sounding like a hipster edgelord.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I don't get the obsession w TLJ here. It's like a hipster teen loving things that are bad so that they can say they're different.
As a second act in a trilogy, TLJ does not work at all. Especially in the way Ruin disregarded almost everything from TFA. But I guess that's what happens when multi billion dollar companies don't plan things out in advance 🤷🏾‍♂️

"Quit liking thing!"

tenor.gif

Oh and being given answers you don't like or expected isn't disregarding what came before it.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
I don't think anything in the Sequel trilogy needs to be referenced in future Star Wars movies, they had that little impact on the lore. The universe is basically in the same state it was after ROTJ, so we can basically pretend the ST never happened in a new trilogy taking place, say, 100 years or more after RoS.

Oct 31, 2017
I'm genuinely interested in when & how we'll ever see these ST characters again because it doesn't seem like Ridley & the rest are clamoring to reprise their roles...

They've done so much to arrive at Rey Skywalker, how is she going to be featured going forward?

Deleted member 19533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not her real name, just one she took on.

I suppose since she just decided to make it her name, she could just decide to make it something else.

No need to retcon something like this.

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
i'm pretty sure skywalkers will carry the next 'main numbered' saga.

though they'll be "skywalkers" (palps'/rey's lineage)

What did Palps say? "Destroy me and I'll live forever" or some shit? Imagine that they actually go with this and Palp's bloodline is fueling all future Jedi AND the new Sith that eventually turn.

He won so fucking hard it's embarrassing that Disney/JJ/Terrio didn't see this.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Obviously Luke played a role in what was significant to her, as did Ben. Going with Skywalker over Organa is splitting the difference between all three characters that had a massive impact on her life.

Why not go with Solo then? She bonded with Han and not Luke and also Leia, Ben and Han have all gone by the surname of Solo whereas only Luke has gone by Skywalkrr.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Star Wars is just a silly soap opera at this point, and like a soap opera that goes on too long the stories become progressively sillier until the overall story arc falls apart basically. Everyone becomes "related" in some way whether romantically or through family bloodlines or whatever which is a common trope in soap operas. In other words, Star Wars is really not much different at this phase than stuff like this:

the-oc-slice-1-600x200.jpg

The OC even had George Lucas on it.

And like all soap operas Star Wars is just entering its "totally jumped the shark and is now batshit crazy" phase. The prequels were "man the writing has gone to shit but I'm sticking around because of the promise of a big pay off" phase.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
What did Palps say? "Destroy me and I'll live forever" or some shit? Imagine that they actually go with this and Palp's bloodline is fueling all future Jedi AND the new Sith that eventually turn.

He won so fucking hard it's embarrassing that Disney/JJ/Terrio didn't see this.

i think it was more "destroy me *in anger* and then i'll live forever" or some shit

which is stupid, like can you kill somebody in the spirit of love, or something.

that said it's an interesting concept, a palpatine bloodline constantly at odds with itself. despite the clumsy onset

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
Ep8 retconned ep7, ep9 retconned ep8, so it would make sense. Bet whatever happens doesn't really matter. The ST has pretty much destroyed my fandom in the franchise completely due to compete lack of story planning and vision. I couldn't care less about whatever random make believe story they come up with next. The only entertainment value left is in watching the train wreak.