• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Will Persona move away from Turn Based Combat System to a Real Time Combat System?

• Yes

Votes: 78 8.6%
  • No

Votes: 830 91.4%

• Total voters

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
They just need to make sure that they let us use our days. I fucking HATE when they suddenly start ripping days away from you, not allowing you to do activities during them. It just sucks.
i didn't like that you couldn't interact with some people on random days. i like how fire emblem handled activity points and had some activities that didn't cost anything to do.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
I don't really care for Persona's battle system, so I wouldn't mind if they moved to a more action like battle system. I'd welcome it with open arms, unless it's something like a mmo battle system.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
i didn't like that you couldn't interact with some people on random days. i like how fire emblem handled activity points and had some activities that didn't cost anything to do.
That's more or less how Trails of Cold Steel does things too. It's even less limited than Three Houses and the social link/support equivalents are done better too by making them story progression-based (so they reflect the events in the main story).

Oct 29, 2017
I don't think so. I do think we might see them play around with turns and/or incorporate something like RTwP (real-time with pausing), but to completely eliminate turns sounds perhaps too far.

Jul 24, 2018
I think Persona 5 perfected the turn based system in a sense that it doesn't overstay it's welcome and it's got an excellent pace, not unlike Persona 2 where it takes fucking 10 minutes just to finish one random encounter battle.

I love Persona for its turn based system so much like I didn't want Yakuza to be a turn based Persona RPG, I don't want Persona to start being an action game. I feel spin-offs would be better suited for that.

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I really hope not, they basically perfected turn based combat with 5 so it would be a shame if they just abandoned it.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I don't think so. I do think we might see them play around with turns and/or incorporate something like RTwP (real-time with pausing), but to completely eliminate turns sounds perhaps too far.

Pretty sure I remember Hashino experimenting with Persona 3 originally being just that (Real-time with pause system) before they settled on the turn based system they ultimately went with for P3. I wouldn't mind a big change with the next one, or a way of making it even more strategic. I really liked Persona Q2's systems and difficulty. It was more SMT influenced with how difficult it was, I feel. It's going to be interesting seeing how similar or different the next SMT and Persona mainline games are going to be...might be revisions in both series since SMT5 is going back to being fully 3D and Persona 6 is getting a new Director.

I don't want either mainline Persona or SMT games to be action though. They both do turn based gameplay so well.

Manbig

Oct 26, 2017
i don't understand how this is a reply to what i posted

Well there was only two ways to read your comment. Either you are arguing against the quantity of action jrpgs, which is not really an opinion based thing, or you were using a roundabout way to claim that in your opinion, those aren't JRPGs in the first place, which is an opinion. I was just covering both bases.

Either way, there is definitely a shitload of action JRPGs out there, while turn based is the actual rare one. That's why I strongly disagree with the OP on this one.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Well, if they do, I can write off the rest of the series. P5 was bad in the writing and story department, but the mechanics still largely felt solid and satisfying. It could use some new ideas, but throwing out turn based is not one of them.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions already has a better battle system

Agreed.

MysticGon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
I think they are partnering with Omega Force to see if they can have it both ways.

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil
I think it depends on the reception of P5S. Persona 5 was my first Persona game, and I honestly didn't mind the fights at all. What I thought it was a big down back on the franchise is the formulaic approach of the game, which gives you an objective to work, makes you follow a forced deadline and repeats that cycle. And it's actually a shame, because the universe behind it is fascinant.

If an action game would make people more interested on the universe (which I was kinda forced to enter because on that time my GF wanted to play Mario Odyssey on my Switch), I think it's a valid point.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
I is growing to be like what a 17, 18 year old fighting system with very little advancements.

Then again I'm all for the "if it isn't broken don't fix it" if they're going to replace it with something worse.

Antoo

May 1, 2019
Persona is one of the only series where I actually am fine with turn based combat. P5's system was great. Getting combos and bouncing between your party was fun. Not a lot of time spent shifting in menus. It was intuitive and respected your time.

LuuKyK

Oct 29, 2017
Brazil
I don't expect a full transition to action, but I can definitely see it becoming some sort of hybrid or something like that.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Nope.

I think they'll keep turn based for mainline entries and action for Scramble games (if P5S becomes successful enough to be turned into its own sub-series that is).

I just hope that they'll give us full turn order for P6 and let us delay enemy turns by using certain skills/actions. They can still improve their turn based system a lot.

Rpgmonkey

Oct 25, 2017
I can see Re:Fantasy being an Action RPG, no "baggage" and it can help differentiate the game from SMT and Persona, especially if it goes on to become a third major franchise for them.

Persona I think will just continue to build on its foundation and look into different twists on the overall core formula.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Even though I prefer real-time-with-pause for these kinds of party-based games, from what I understand the MegaTen games have been refining the same turn-based combat system since the 80's and what's why it feels so refined in Persona 5. If I'm not mistaken, at its core the game is still a fork off of Wizardry III or something like that.

I don't see mainline Persona or MegaTen games moving away from those 80's dungeon crawling roots anytime soon. Side games definitely, but not main games.

Oct 29, 2017
Pretty sure I remember Hashino experimenting with Persona 3 originally being just that (Real-time with pause system) before they settled on the turn based system they ultimately went with for P3. I wouldn't mind a big change with the next one, or a way of making it even more strategic. I really liked Persona Q2's systems and difficulty. It was more SMT influenced with how difficult it was, I feel. It's going to be interesting seeing how similar or different the next SMT and Persona mainline games are going to be...might be revisions in both series since SMT5 is going back to being fully 3D and Persona 6 is getting a new Director.

I don't want either mainline Persona or SMT games to be action though. They both do turn based gameplay so well.

I feel like the way you only control one character and the way that the "arenas" look when you enter into a random battle totally fit with that.

Either way ', I've been hoping for a new Persona that deals with older individuals a la 2 for some time. Here's hoping!

Acquiesc3

Oct 30, 2017
I don't mind something new or different, but there is definitely a demand for that persona 3 style gameplay.. so I don't think they'll stray too far from that formula.

MOTHGOD

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
Buttfuck Nowhere
I've been all over the Persona series and the SMT series. I think if Persona 6 went with action and real time combat it would be great. There are still plenty of turn based games out there. Nothing wrong with making a fresh move with a series. But I honestly think that a hybrid of turn based and real time would be a good fit.

Zolbrod

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka, Japan
It wouldn't be Persona/SMT without turn-based combat, and we're already getting a Persona 5 Warriors game, so no, I do not believe this will happen.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
The title of your thread is posited as if you have some basis to believe they will move to an ARPG format, yet the entirety of your post is wishful thinking about what you personally want to see happen. The success of P5 would suggest otherwise, that they will in no way rock the boat of a formula that works for them. It would be a financial risk for Atlus to change Persona's whole battle system while also changing directors, when they are already gambling on Hashino's new IP. If anything, the fantasy game IP will go in a different direction and Persona will remain the safe, but lucrative bet they can rely on.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I certainly hope not. I love the turned based systems in Persona, and it's a large reason why I enjoy playing the series beyond the social links being a lot of fun.

while I wouldn't throw a tantrum if it moved away from a turned based system, I feel like doing so would be removing a part of what makes the Persona series the Persona series.

P5 definitely polished the battle system and made it more sleek and intuitive, but I don't need it to be "innovative," just fun. Not everything needs to break the mold and revolutionize the industry/genre. Sometimes if it ain't broke, you truly don't need to fix it. Just refine it and make it more efficient. Save the experimentation for spin off games.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Never liked turn-based RPGs. I actually detest them and find them extremely boring. Would welcome this change, just like FF7 Remake already looks more fun than any turn-based RPG.