• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
We'll see what data they try and extract from the user this time around. After all, they are an advertising business. I don't need Google spying on me while gaming.

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I predict Google will get bored of this and close up shop, sell it or have a massive privacy scandal that will severely reduce it's popularity. Obviously Sony survived its own privacy scandal but Google doesn't have that sort of cache in the gaming space.

Streaming is the future but surviving on streaming alone isn't guaranteed to work, even if you're Google.

We'll just have to see in five years.

S I C K O

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
So many Google products that they have forgot about.

Unless its gmail or youtube, I wont invest my time in Google because the next year it may be gone.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i dont see any this being anything more than an streaming box that wont compete with anyone. It will be like an ouya where it didn't do anything of note.

OK but to put this in line with Ouya is disnegenuous at best. You have people like Jade Redmond and Phil Harrion already onboard. Plus Google is far from a crowd funding project and their investment in streaming isn't just a fad.

OldMuffin

Nov 1, 2017
Issue is most of the world ain't ready for it and probably won't be ready for a streaming only future for games just yet. itll probably succeed, but if this happens to have some nice exclusives, most of the world is going to feel left out,

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
A "100$ streaming console with a 20$ subscription" is "not a device you already own" - on any level. Which is what OP wanted to discuss.

Anyway I maintain that streaming in of itself is not a forward looking model - even though remote-processing, well - is. But neither is a particularly appealing proposition for customers or providers alike at the moment.
Chrome Browser on a PC. Streaming console is just an entry point for those who want to use it. The service is what matters.

bet you dont own the device either
I bet I own a PC with a Chrome Browser installed. Same browser that I tested this service...want to revisit this tomorrow?

Have either one of you tried Project Stream?

ginger ninja

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I believe in streaming, it's google's commitment that I don't have a lot of faith in.
At the same time, I actively hope this project crashes and burns. When you come at the kings, you better not miss,

L.E.D.

Oct 27, 2017
Half of the USA can barely stream Netflix @1080p and people expect a streaming console to take off? Good luck.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Era thinks that only a super powerful console (PS4/XBox One) or a genius new design (Switch) can sell in this industry.

All three of these consoles have an extremely high barrier to entry when it comes to hardware costs and games.

I sold video game systems at Best Buy when I was younger and console hardware costs and generation turnover were a HUGE issue for parents buying a console for their kids. I always got the same question... "If I buy this 200-300 system with these $60 games will they release a new one soon and make it obsolete?"

If Google announces a sub $100 streaming console tomorrow with a $15-$20 monthly subscription this entire barrier to entry disappears.

I was a project stream beta tester and it worked flawlessly with my 50 down/5 up mbps internet connection so I have zero concerns about connection issues. Yes, some rural users on really bad internet connections will not be able to use the service but they will be a minority and will not impact the success of the system. Lets also not forget 5G is right around the corner and is going to bring new ways to get home internet.

So go ahead and bookmark this post and tell my I am wrong but if this system doesn't sell it wont be because its a streaming service.

Youre wrong. You nit being able to notice insane input lag and latency doesnt mean others cant

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
RUssRgH.png

I'm just going to leave this here. I believe it speaks for itself.

Toni

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Orlando, Florida
Half of the USA can barely stream Netflix @1080p and people expect a streaming console to take off? Good luck.

Chyeah lol

I'm an optimist when it comes Cloud / Stream tech, and reading some of these posts can be somewhat thought provoking, but Streaming technology...after so many advancements made since Onlive or Ouya to here...still isnt nowhere "there" enough to Stream high-end games without there being extensive sacrifices made in the process.

Let's try again in 12-15 years. Seriously. Streaming tech is moving adequately. By 2030, we could see something major.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Data caps tho......

How much data is used to stream a game for 1 hour?

SD video can be around a GB/half a GB an hour. So you can imagine for 1080P content the data requirement is exponentially much higher, forget 4K Streams.

Also unlike Video Streams which just need to send an audio and video signal. With gaming streaming it also needs to send / receive input data which is the most crucial aspect. Not even 33ms of difference and folks will immediately notice what they are inputting on screen is not coming out instantly.

Forget playing timing sensitive games like STGs / Shoot Em Ups, or twitch reaction FPS-type games.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Streaming-only is a non-starter and a hard PASS for me.

Streaming only will prove Google is truly clueless and will fail to be a major force in the market. MS will have a traditional console with a streaming service on top. There's no reason to invest in whatever Google is doing when MS will be all that plus more

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland
Yep ^ The only way Google becomes a viable option is if they mirror what Microsoft is doing with Scarlett, meaning a traditional console (in MS's case, 2 consoles) and an inexpensive device that relies on xCloud / streaming to do the heavy lifting. If all Google has is streaming, they will alienate a MASSIVE number of people from the start.
They have to have a conventional console as part of the offering, otherwise...

Arebours

Oct 27, 2017
This forum is so anti-streaming because it's dominated by posters who live in North America, which has considerably worse internet infrastructure than is found in huge parts of Europe and Asia. That infrastructure will eventually improve, but streaming technology isn't going to just sit around and wait until rural/suburban America has enough bandwidth, or no data caps. You just might end up getting this technology later than other parts of the world, and that's okay.
I'm 100% anti streaming and I don't even care about the tech. Sooner or later it will be ready. I think streaming is potentially devastating because of the network effects of these kinds of services and because of how it will affect how games are made, preserved, and modified by the community. I think that we are in a really good place now overall with healthy competition between the three console players while pc is an open platform with no barriers to entry for small developers. Steaming by comparison is a massive step backwards on that front with the trade off that we get a small gain in convenience which really is a lot smaller than most think because you are still going to need a screen and controller. The biggest reason I am so anti-streaming is that I think there's a good chance that in a decade playing games locally will be a fringe hobbyist thing, and there is simply no way that will be good for the diversity of games and the diversity of people making games.

I wish people realized that streaming is all about creating and controlling the media player. It's the most oppressive form of DRM imaginable, for gamers and devs alike. There is nothing more to it.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 46103

Banned
Jul 22, 2018
Streaming only will prove Google is truly clueless and will fail to be a major force in the market. MS will have a traditional console with a streaming service on top. There's no reason to invest in whatever Google is doing when MS will be all that plus more

Price of entry. Did you even read the op?

Last edited:

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
lol google isn't infallible and will hardly be the only one in this streaming space. They'll inevitably be just one of many options much like how google music, spotify, apple music operate now.I think most people will still opt for traditional consoles.

Edward

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
Streaming is inevitable. I'm ready for it. :)

People think that something has to "sell"...when you can stream from devices you already own. lol. Don't ever listen to Era and predictions...
Streaming is inevitable when the majority of this and every country has A. Unlimited bandwidth and B. Giga+ service. Last i checked just in the US alone more than 60 million people didn't have internet and you have to figure more than 50% of the people who do either have data caps or slower internet. It's going to be a long, long, long time before streaming takes over physical. There's a reason you still see CD's and DVD's in retail shops even though people have been claiming both physical mediums have been dying since the early 00's.

I expect the product to be as popular as a Shield TV specifically targeted to a more niche group.

Oct 29, 2017
You are 100% correct but others that love stacks of physical media will say you are wrong. Google will force the hand of the other three. I'm still not sure if this is bad or good though.

A lot of the doubts come off as people hoping streaming doesn't take off, rather than genuinely thinking it won't.

Frankly, I hope it does. I really want to see how the industry's output changes with an audience so much broader than the usual suspects (i.e. us).

Armoredgoomba

Jun 17, 2018
My only question is what game can I play. If it's just mobile trash from the play store then no thanks.

I don't think the general public will care either.

OP
OP

Deleted member 46103

Banned
Jul 22, 2018
Please explain the pricing differences between Google Stream and Project XCloud

One requires an Xbox or desktop PC.

The other requires anything with chrome. Do you know how much a chromecast costs?

https://kotaku.com/heres-what-were-hearing-about-googles-plans-for-gaming-1833389082

"Google wants it to be playable on any hardware: PCs, Macs, phones, TVs, and so on. Buzz we've heard is that you'll be able to play on a computer or Chromecast using a regular Xbox controller, and that Google will also unveil its own controller that has some sort of streaming capabilities. (We're not sure how the controller will work, but it may allow you to use Google's streaming platform on a television even if you don't have any other hardware hooked up.)"

Like I said. Price.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
We don't really know how either work and what platforms they're fully supporting yet so I'd wait to lay stakes on any of those tbh

LiquidSolid

Oct 26, 2017
All three of these consoles have an extremely high barrier to entry when it comes to hardware costs and games..
Just being able to play hardcore games is a really high barrier to entry, which is why most of the casual audience went to mobile gaming. I really don't think there's a big crossover between people who want to play those games, people who have good enough internet to stream those games and people who don't already own a console/PC.

I won't say Google's initiative is doomed but I do think it's going to have a long road ahead of it to make any kind of impact, especially if they don't have their own exclusives to sell it with. My guess is it ends up doing okay but nowhere near Google's expectations, so Google will eventually just shut it down.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
how they reveal it/market it will be vital to its mainstream appeal

it seems like Google would have no issues fitting it into a home ecosystem with other google products, so clearly showing how it interacts with all of those, along with how it could enhance the user experience while playing, will be key

it likely won't be a console for me, but that's not to say it couldn't garner a wider audience in general

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
My only question is what game can I play. If it's just mobile trash from the play store then no thanks.

I don't think the general public will care either.

Ubisoft, id Software and Crystal Dynamics are known to be there and will possibly be speakers/featured at the event tomorrow. So there will likely be some console level games shown. Not including the Sega rumors from earlier.

Last edited:

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
I'm down for a low-cost ($99 or below) streaming box but in no way am I going to call it the future of gaming, especially when it comes from a company like Google. For one, like most of Google's other v1.0 products, it's probably going to be US only. Then you've got the bandwidth requirements, data cap issues, input latency, etc. No doubt Google's muscle can put a dent into these issues (HEVC alone is going to do wonders for both quality and bandwidth) but there are factors beyond Google's control that are equally as important.

If it's a $399 direct competitor to MS or Sony, though? Then we've got a fight.

Dlacy13g

Oct 27, 2017
California, USA
Its success or failure will revolve around two things: 1) what their pricing model looks like for actual streaming games not the hardware. 2) what the content for it looks like.

datbapple

Banned
Nov 19, 2017
I'm 100% anti streaming and I don't even care about the tech. Sooner or later it will be ready. I think streaming is potentially devastating because of the network effects of these kinds of services and because of how it will affect how games are made, preserved, and modified by the community. I think that we are in a really good place now overall with healthy competition between the three console players while pc is an open platform with no barriers to entry for small developers. Steaming by comparison is a massive step backwards on that front with the trade off that we get a small gain in convenience which really is a lot smaller than most think because you are still going to need a screen and controller. The biggest reason I am so anti-streaming is that I think there's a good chance that in a decade playing games locally will be a fringe hobbyist thing, and there is simply no way that will be good for the diversity of games and the diversity of people making games.

I wish people realized that streaming is all about creating and controlling the media player. It's the most oppressive form of DRM imaginable, for gamers and devs alike. There is nothing more to it.

So much of this is ripped from my own thoughts. I often think about GAAS type games like the Division and so on which I love but lightweight demonstrate what kind of control you give up when you go full streaming. If UBISOFT is tired of hosting servers for it, you can't play this game anymore. There is no way to prevent a game company or Google from flipping a switch and just being done with it. With content you own that is not dependent on streaming or in the case of GAAS/MMOs, company owned servers, you can plug in your console 10-15 years from now and still play your games. One we get to streaming only as a future you can say goodbye to passing down game collections and potentially emulation and hello to rights holders pulling content when they see fit and you being SOL. All for the sake of some kind of convenience.

I don't see the appeal of even Google potential offering when you can still get a system from Sony/Nintendo/M$ that have established store fronts and a history of support for thier products unlike how Google approaches things. Plus with xcloud coming from m$, it will give you the best of both worlds and be hardware agnostic. I would shudder to think about playing a fighting game or dmc v or anything with tight timing on any of these streaming services however.

javiergame4

Oct 27, 2017
I'm all for streaming. Cali has great internet. It does suck for people who don't have good internet tho. We will see soonq

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
I can see a stream box be a modest success, but this market will be crowded quick with known players in a year's time and I don't see how Google will stand out.

Oct 26, 2017
If Google announces a sub $100 streaming console tomorrow with a $15-$20 monthly subscription this entire barrier to entry disappears.

Someone's forgetting that barrier still exists with internet quality. You cannot just focus on the console price + games and then ignore the new set of problems that a streaming console would present, especially when the device is reliant on your infrastructure being good (not to mention, cost/availability of internet itself might be a barrier to people depending on if they live in a rural area).

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think a lot of people (OP included) forget that PS Now exists, works on PC and has no barrier of entry beyond the subscription and ones home PC or laptop, in other words what the OP and people like zedox are already talking about.

The big question however is what Google's availabile content will be like, or the quality of the library of games available, and that is where Google needs to prove themselves.

LuigiV

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
How is that relevant? Doesn't matter how fast your internet is if you're more that 50km away from the nearest hardware centre. There's no getting around the physical limits of latency so only people within those specific cities marked on that map can even get access to the service in the first place (and even then, it'll probably be a slow rollout). It'll be a huge limit to the service's ability to grow.

Cloud gaming will never be more than a niche market until someone finally starts taking the global rollout of servers seriously.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
How is that relevant? Doesn't matter how fast your internet is if you're more that 50km away from the nearest hardware centre. There's no getting around the physical limits of latency so only people within those specific cities marked on that map can even get access to the service in the first place (and even then, it'll probably be a slow rollout). It'll be a huge limit to the service's ability to grow.

Cloud gaming will never be more than a niche market until someone finally starts taking the global rollout of servers seriously.
I sort of agree on the basis that gamers don't want streaming, so there after this weird subset of people that are interested in games but not enough to care about latency, I don't think that many people exist that don't already have access to more casual gaming experiences on their phones, or won't subscribe for a short period of time.

Streaming is this future that no one seems to want for themselves but are convinced that a lot of people must want.

We'll see how it goes.