• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
I don't feel it can take off in a big way for a few more years yet. It's kind of unsettling to me the idea of how quickly digital delivery is becoming the norm and how willing people are to not even question the ownership of their games in this way, until around a decade or so from now when it's too late and shit hits the fan in regards to what you thought you had access to but now don't and can't because of digital licensing. Or if Google shuts down their services as they have in the past.

I'll support physical games for as long as they're around for this reason. If Google moneyhats some really special content that is streaming only I will definitely be salty about it with no physical way to play it at its best. They will have my attention if Sega are involved though.

OP
OP

Deleted member 46103

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 22, 2018
Pixel and Nexus are pretty different initiatives both from a back end business perspective and from a customer facing end goal. It's pretty clear that Google tried to go in one direction (Nexus) by having third party OEMs make them reference hardware based on popular phones they were already making (Nexus S and Galaxy S2 for example). They switched directions entirely and outright bought an OEM in Motorola... only to push out mediocre midrange hardware that was barely identifiable with the Google brand? They abandoned ship again and sold Moto to Lenovo, and then almost by happenstance scooped up most of HTC and started making their own phones again (Pixel).

So I wouldn't say Nexus and Pixel are the same, and in fact the trajectory of one to the other shows you just how little vision Google seems to have for their products.

The thing is the customer was never left without an option. Yes google reorganized their phone divisions multiple times but as a user I was always able to buy a vanilla android phone with good update support from Google. Google didn't even kill Nexus when the Motorola thing was going on.

The Nexus thing was never a good long term solution and I am surprised it lasted as long as it did. You cant build reliable hardware when the manufacture/designer switches every single year.

Last edited:

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I feel like the cheap part is gonna get debunked. I read the first page so apologies jf it's already been discussed but where is the 'cheap' coming from? I've never really equated Google as making cheap devices.

Are we doing guesses yet? £300 for a multimedia box and it can stream games for an additional monthly fee.

If so no buy from me.

Council Pop

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This forum is so anti-streaming because it's dominated by posters who live in North America, which has considerably worse internet infrastructure than is found in huge parts of Europe and Asia. That infrastructure will eventually improve, but streaming technology isn't going to just sit around and wait until rural/suburban America has enough bandwidth, or no data caps. You just might end up getting this technology later than other parts of the world, and that's okay.

fleet

Jan 2, 2019
This forum is so anti-streaming because it's dominated by posters who live in North America, which has considerably worse internet infrastructure than is found in huge parts of Europe and Asia. That infrastructure will eventually improve, but streaming technology isn't going to just sit around and wait until rural/suburban America has enough bandwidth, or no data caps. You just might end up getting this technology later than other parts of the world, and that's okay.

it's not just north america though. if this new console thing is streaming-focused, you can pretty much rule out the entirety of australia in your potential consumer base. our infrastructure is not even close to being okay enough for that kinda thing

JayBabay

Oct 25, 2017
California
I tested project stream as well and I had 250down/20up with low latency and it was merely good (no input lag, Soft visuals) to subpar (no input lag, very soft looking visuals). I'm willing to try it again but my experience should have been better based on my connection.

Council Pop

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it's not just north america though. if this new console thing is streaming-focused, you can pretty much rule out the entirety of australia in your potential consumer base. our infrastructure is not even close to being okay enough for that kinda thing

That's not true though. Internet in urban Australia is easily as good as in big cities in Europe or America.

Allietraa

Prophet of Truth
Mar 13, 2019
I feel like the cheap part is gonna get debunked. I read the first page so apologies jf it's already been discussed but where is the 'cheap' coming from? I've never really equated Google as making cheap devices.

Are we doing guesses yet? £300 for a multimedia box and it can stream games for an additional monthly fee.

If so no buy from me.
People assume cheap because a premium streaming box doesnt make much business sense. Hardware isnt the lucrative side of the industry these days. The money is in services now, so it makes more sense that Google would aim for getting the barrier to entry for their service as low as possible. That's the direction of basically every other streaming-focused device out there, and even the Apple TV 4K is "only" $180. If Google releases a $300+ streaming box to prop up their new game streaming service, they're crazy. But then again, they did have a $1300 Chromebook to try to sell Chrome OS years ago. So I guess it's not that out of character lol.

fleet

Jan 2, 2019
That's not true though. Internet in urban Australia is easily as good as in big cities in Europe or America.

maybe over east? i live in suburbia WA. my apartment building in a well-off suburb still doesn't even have a scheduled date for nbn, nor do the surrounding suburbs. my partner and i still can't individually watch netflix at the same time because our internet can't handle it. you can rule me out as a potential customer for googles new gadget, at least 🤷‍♀️

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

If so no buy from me.

I will 100% assume it'll be relatively cheap just to entice people to overlook that the streaming service will require a subscription.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
Kotaku article from Jason Schreier on what he has heard

https://kotaku.com/heres-what-were-hearing-about-googles-plans-for-gaming-1833389082

small snip
"The rumors we're hearing suggest that this streaming platform will be Google's focus tomorrow, and that Google wants it to be playable on any hardware: PCs, Macs, phones, TVs, and so on. Buzz we've heard is that you'll be able to play on a computer or Chromecast using a regular Xbox controller, and that Google will also unveil its own controller that has some sort of streaming capabilities. (We're not sure how the controller will work, but it may allow you to use Google's streaming platform on a television even if you don't have any other hardware hooked up.) "

Council Pop

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
maybe over east? i live in suburbia WA. my apartment building in a well-off suburb still doesn't even have a scheduled date for nbn, nor do the surrounding suburbs. my partner and i still can't individually watch netflix at the same time because our internet can't handle it. you can rule me out as a potential customer for googles new gadget, at least 🤷‍♀️

Ah fair play, that's shocking. Yeah admittedly it's Victoria and Queensland I'm familiar with.

May 30, 2018
One scenario that's been described to us by three different people (each of whom either heard about it secondhand or directly from Google), for example, might look something like this: You're watching your favorite Twitch streamer play a game and you think it looks cool, so you buy it, and then, if the developers of the game have toggled this feature, you can download a save file that starts you off right where your streamer was playing. Or maybe it's a multiplayer game, and you can buy the game and immediately jump into a match with the streamer, if the developers allow it and the streamer is down.

Another of these bells and/or whistles is YouTube integration, as we reported last year. We've heard a variety of possibilities surrounding that, including ads that allow you to buy games directly, and, far more interesting, a feature that can tell where you are in a game and automatically load up the correct spot in a YouTube walkthrough if you want help.

https://kotaku.com/heres-what-were-hearing-about-googles-plans-for-gaming-1833389082

I would say Era/older guys is most definitely NOT Googles target market. I wouldn't bother with this, but I see where they're going with it

If it has a low cost of entry, and if streamers feel enticed to do this, I can see this being a decent success

Also lol at that YT feature

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Man, this sounds amazing. Not needing a box to play games. Being able to use my Xbox controller.

If only hotel wifi's would improve. Or 5G would hurry up. I'm expecting Microsoft and Sony are heading the same way.

OP
OP

Deleted member 46103

Banned
Jul 22, 2018

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
Hoping Google is smart and create a system which allows you to donwload and stream a game. I'm sure that's what Ms is doing.

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
It is mind boggling that there are still data caps around the world. There are data caps in Canada as well but at least we have some cheap alternatives for unlimited internet (75/10 for 32.5 CAD/month at Fido)

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

If so no buy from me.
The whole point of this you barely needing to get anything additional to use. Even if they have a streaming box you won't need it. Any phone or tablet will do, as will most current TVs. All you need is a controller.

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
I will hate it because Google will region lock the content in my region like they always do and anything exclusive will be assuredly out of my reach because internet available at my place sucks

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Project Stream ran well, but the graphical difference was too much. The image was soft and not very sharp. It feels like you're playing a YouTube video.

Going from that to the PS4 Pro was a big difference. The poor resolution and sharpness will only get more apparent when next gen hits.

cnorwood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm kind of struggling to identify the market for this. At absolute best the performance is equivalent to actual hardware running locally and gets worse from there. From an economics perspective, I'm debating whether someone who can't afford a $300 PS4 or Xbox can afford a $100 streaming box with a $15 a month (or more) subscription fee... I really think that these large companies (Microsoft, Google, etc..) have invested so much money into data centers and are trying to find ways generate revenue/turn a profit on them. As a result, they are pushing game streaming (even if it's not ready or even necessary).
If the beta is anything to go by you can always not buy a streaming box and play from chrome, I don't even know why it has to be a service, I feel like you should be able to buy a game and just stream it.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not tech savy here, at all, so my question is, if your internet is good enough to play Multiplayer games online, would it not also be good enough to stream games off a server?
No.
It's between 1-2 orders of magnitude removed (depending on what kind of resolution/framerate you want from the stream).

Ukumio

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Australia
Do I think it will be a failure? No idea.

Is a streaming only platform for me? No.

The latter is the only thing I care about.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
If the beta is anything to go by you can always not buy a streaming box and play from chrome, I don't even know why it has to be a service, I feel like you should be able to buy a game and just stream it.

Interesting. I don't know much about what went on in the beta. I'm not suggesting it's going to be a failure... I've just seen everyone talking about a $100 box and a subscription and that doesn't make too much sense to me. A streaming service that can be accessed from any device that can run Chrome is a different story.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
People will get excited for it, even if it is only a streaming machine, if the software is on point. What games (if any) will they be showing during the reveal? If it's just another box to play EA/Ubi/Activison/major publisher games that every other console can play, it doesn't seem very exciting. They need to show at least a few games that can only be found on their hardware that would be considered "system sellers."

Feb 24, 2018
Honestly, I don't really get why this thread and many others seem to make titles and act in very condescending ways just to get a rise out of people and to aggravate people on the forum. It just seems pointless, makes the OP and people who agree with them come across like arses and elitist and dilutes what could have been interesting discussion and plus, why go to ERA if you don't like it?

cnorwood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Interesting. I don't know much about what went on in the beta. I'm not suggesting it's going to be a failure... I've just seen everyone talking about a $100 box and a subscription and that doesn't make too much sense to me. A streaming service that can be accessed from any device that can run Chrome is a different story.
Yeah the beta I could access anywhere with a IIRC +15mbps connection and a chrome browser (Besides my phone but I hope that will change). Assassisns Creed Odyssey ran at basically max settings on my home laptop and work laptop chrome browsers which would be laughable to even get the game to start if I actually had the game. If it does not change and I can do it from my phone I will definitely get some games on this service.

I'm not buying any games that I can only stream
I would not be surprised if they had a way to download as well, but I would buy some games like that

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Honestly, I don't really get why this thread and many others seem to make titles and act in very condescending ways just to get a rise out of people and to aggravate people on the forum. It just seems pointless, makes the OP and people who agree with them come across like arses and elitist and dilutes what could have been interesting discussion and plus, why go to ERA if you don't like it?

Yeah the tone is horrible, doesn't really foment any real discussions when the OP is a hot take shitting on a communal hot take.

As for me it's all about the games, I don't care what tech, channels or platform it's in, stream it direct to my wireless VR headset if you must. Unfortunately, my fav genre is one of the most conservative so it'll be awhile till it embraces this tech.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Probably because so many are just unable to either adapt to change or just plain want certain things to fail because they don't support it. Micro-transactions have become a dirty word, always online and GaaS games are the death to single player games, digital and streaming will kill physical and so on. While I do agree it's a condenscending attitude to create a thread like this I can see why they happen. Some on this forum are always just so glum about everything.

minimalism

Jan 9, 2018
My problem still will always hinge on being able to access my games anywhere at any time. No internet? No problem. In a plane? Cool, have at it. Car? Sure. Cruise? You betcha. Streaming flies in the face of absolutely everything I want in a game system.

But this will be great for people who don't see my barriers as non-starters. I just think that for the next few years it excludes a lot of people in the world without access to always-on high speed internet.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably because so many are just unable to either adapt to change or just plain want certain things to fail because they don't support it. Micro-transactions have become a dirty word, always online and GaaS games are the death to single player games, digital and streaming will kill physical and so on. While I do agree it's a condenscending attitude to create a thread like this I can see why they happen. Some on this forum are always just so glum about everything.
Its just as bad though the ones that overhype every announcement. Some said the Ouya would be a console killer and nothing. I just have major doubts that this will be anything other than a streaming box like a shield.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
I doubt buying is even going to be an option. This is just going to be some Netflix style subscription service.

Schreier did say things about being able to buy games to continue from where a streamer left off. But that's just what he's heard from others.

Who knows there could be both a subscription and buying games as options lol

Oct 31, 2017
I genuinely don't care if it will be a success or failure. If it's a streeaming-focused device (and chances are it will be) I want no part of it and I will avoid the tech as long as reasonably possible.

Spaceroast

Oct 30, 2017
My prediction is a Google device won't be all that competitive, but it's not a failing business model long term.

Sadly, it's just not for me; being in China I'd need a VPN router just to access Google servers and the ping would be horrendous.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its just as bad though the ones that overhype every announcement. Some said the Ouya would be a console killer and nothing. I just have major doubts that this will be anything other than a streaming box like a shield.

I can see why there's some excitement, we've had the same major players for how many years now? Now what exactly would you decipher as overhype, that this will kill Sony or Nintendo or Microsoft? Maybe there's room for 4, maybe there's not.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can see why there's some excitement, we've had the same major players for how many years now? Now what exactly would you decipher as overhype, that this will kill Sony or Nintendo or Microsoft? Maybe there's room for 4, maybe there's not.
i dont see any this being anything more than an streaming box that wont compete with anyone. It will be like an ouya where it didn't do anything of note.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Remember all the shit thrown around during 2013 when oh what if I lose connection blah blah blah and now half of game sales are from digital downloads?
Besides the fact that digital sales are *not* half of game sales, did...did you just conflate digital downloads, a thing that was on xbox360 at launch, with the "always online" requirement?

People really need to stop comparing this to Netflix its far more complex and Netflix will work in a lot more scenarios than this ever will.
I'm glad somebody gets it.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
I live in Spain. I have a 600 Mbps down / 600 Mbps up fiber connection. Data caps don't exist here.

I fucking despise the idea of playing games via streaming.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
They are in this for the subscription money, I don't think they have a reason to push for a lucrative hardware price. The cheaper it is, the better actually.

The 3 options I can think of:

1- an android box with ethernet and google assistant + controllers.
2- a chromecast with Ethernet and bluetooth + controllers
3- a dongle (ethernet + bluetooth) to connect to any PC

Not sure if controllers would be included or if they would let you use any you already have (probably yes).

I am feeling some Fortnite and/or Apex Legends at launch vibes even though it wouldn't be optimal to play online, right? Lots of people probably play Fortnite on their phones and ipads and dont want to pay 200 in a PS4 or Xbox, but could get a google device for under 100 to play on a tv and controller. They have a great opportunity here.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
I'm not specifically predicting its a streaming service. Everyone knows that like you said. I'm predicting that once its confirmed than this forum will claim its DOA due to the business model.

Its google. You know the service will be gutted and combined with another service in another 2 years, right?

Thats been google's modus operandi for their hardware based business or businesses that requires payment.

Forget about the 'success' of this service. It's a given this thing will either ceased to exist or become something else entirely in 2 years time. That's the real conversation everyone should have.