• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 13645

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I do like the feeling of ownership with my games whether it be physical or digital. For some reason, I don't feel the same way about movies so I subscribe to Netflix. I don't see myself subscribing to a video game streaming service unless it was just an add-on like Nintendo Online. But, I'm sure it will still do very very well

Is it potentially the more temporary nature of games that makes you feel different? We've seen a ton of games go offline, or get delisted from stores, or etc. so if you don't own that game, it's gone, and you can't get it anymore unless you pirate it -- and even that's not always an option. If you do own it and it gets delisted, most places will still allow you to do download it. The game doesn't vanish into the ether like it would if it was just something you were getting on a Netflix-style service.

With movies you can feel fairly certain that you could always turn around and buy the move if you really wanted.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
I do like the feeling of ownership with my games whether it be physical or digital. For some reason, I don't feel the same way about movies so I subscribe to Netflix. I don't see myself subscribing to a video game streaming service unless it was just an add-on like Nintendo Online. But, I'm sure it will still do very very well
Google allows you to stream digital movies that you have bought. Don't see why games would be any different.

robot

Oct 27, 2017
It all really depends on the details. A device that lets you stream games you bought digitally (among other options) is a different beast than "Netflix for games" where you don't own anything. I think Era would be pretty into the former but hate the latter.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
I'm kind of struggling to identify the market for this. At absolute best the performance is equivalent to actual hardware running locally and gets worse from there. From an economics perspective, I'm debating whether someone who can't afford a $300 PS4 or Xbox can afford a $100 streaming box with a $15 a month (or more) subscription fee... I really think that these large companies (Microsoft, Google, etc..) have invested so much money into data centers and are trying to find ways generate revenue/turn a profit on them. As a result, they are pushing game streaming (even if it's not ready or even necessary).

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if its stream only i will not care, i dont live in US or Europe where this service will be available

Zonal Hertz

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
I'm kind of struggling to identify the market for this. At absolute best the performance is equivalent to actual hardware running locally and gets worse from there. From an economics perspective, I'm debating whether someone who can't afford a $300 PS4 or Xbox can afford a $100 streaming box with a $15 a month (or more) subscription fee... I really think that these large companies (Microsoft, Google, etc..) have invested so much money into data centers and are trying to find ways generate revenue/turn a profit on them. As a result, they are pushing game streaming (even if it's not ready or even necessary).

A good example would be someone like my dad. He's bored of TV and heard so many good things about red dead in mainstream media he asked me if he should give it a go. But the effort of buying a large console that takes up space in his living room and then buying a game too was too much. If its just a subscription service and a cheap set top box, I think he'd be very tempted.

Edit: i actually remember I sold him on the prospect of microsofts rumoured cheaper stream console when we discussed this. So definitely people in the market for this.

mrtl

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you want to use your console online (i.e. 99% of people) you're paying a monthly fee on PS4/XBO as well. Paying a monthly subscription all-you-can-game makes sense to me, especially if you can use the service everywhere there's Chromium available.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I only stream 1080 Netflix and most of my monthly allotment of data (1tb on Comcast) goes towards the handful of games released on Game Pass. I try to be conservative outside of this and most days bandwidth is usually for regular browsing, youtube streaming (non 4k), plus podcasts, and by the end of each month I'm usually within the last few hundred gigs before hitting that 1 tb. Add a high end game streaming service like Google Stream to it and I'm definitely going over the line. I'm all for streaming games as a future thing but it just isn't feasible enough currently with infrastructure issues plus data caps. One of the reasons I think Google will be selling something with dedicated hardware as well. The entry price may be low with just a dongle and controller, but this will hit a lot of users' data caps fast.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There seems to be this silly notion that their box NEEDS to be successful. It doesn't. The streaming is so much more than that. It's your phone, your Chrome browser, your TV. Compatible with just about any Bluetooth controller out there.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Those people aren't the demographic, I mean, they won't be able to use Netflix either.

The demographic would be gamers of any kind. I know of popular gaming Youtubers who don't have a decent enough network to upload their episodes from their own homes (in France).

If you limit your target demography to people living in "big" cities with a decent connection, your demography would probably be too limited to be interesting enough for developers to make exclusives on it. And without exclusives, it would just be a concurrent for Shadow.

Not sure it's interesting enough for Google.

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
The demographic would be gamers of any kind. I know of popular gaming Youtubers who don't have a decent enough network to upload their episodes from their own homes (in France).

If you limit your target demography to people living in "big" cities with a decent connection, your demography would probably be too limited to be interesting enough for developers to make exclusives on it. And without exclusives, it would just be a concurrent for Shadow.

I expect nothing more than a streaming service for PC games. Something like Geforce Now, but Google made. There wont be exclusives, as they are just playing PC games.

There *thing* will be you can play it on any device with a chrome web browser.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There's the astroturfing.

I will tell you, you're wrong, a streaming device is simply going to fail. This is OUYA 2.0 and markets this device will be aimed at won't be interested.

I could go on in detail. But I won't.
OUYA was launched on a paltry $10 million budget.

No matter what, you have to take Google's project more seriously than that.

mrtl

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There seems to be this silly notion that their box NEEDS to be successful. It doesn't. The streaming is so much more than that. It's your phone, your Chrome browser, your TV. Compatible with just about any Bluetooth controller out there.
Exactly. The front-end to the service is Chromium, available on billions of devices. Grab a random Android tablet, a smartphone, Android TV on any box or smart television, whatever. Any controller will work - Google has implemented the standardised Gamepad API very well with support for Dualshock controllers, Xbox controllers, hell even JoyCons can be used in Chromium. This will be a very adaptable service, meaning you can use any hardware with some kind of video output and stable networking.

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
If it's a streaming box I think it'll find some modicum of success, but if it's a full on console I think it'll bomb hard. It's funny that they have Dreamcasts laying around because that's the exact kind of situation I think they're in. Why get a Google console when I can wait a year or so foe Sony and MS' new consoles, who have both proven themselves?

Also Google pulled fiber from my city, so fuck em'.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I was a project stream beta tester and it worked flawlessly with my 50 down/5 up mbps internet connection so I have zero concerns about connection issues. Yes, some rural users on really bad internet connections will not be able to use the service but they will be a minority and will not impact the success of the system. Lets also not forget 5G is right around the corner and is going to bring new ways to get home internet.

I was too and it was shit. It will fail utterly.

I hope it's not just a streaming service, but I suspect it will be. Still, very, very interested in the drama.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In just a decade we went from 360p buffering YouTube to 4k 60fps videos.

People forget how fast tech moves.

How many people watch YT at 4k 60fps though? Many people also play games at 4k 60+fps, but you don't see devs making games for that sliver of population alone do you? Like i said afterwards, there is a market for game streaming, but people thinking that it's the main plate for the present or even the immediate future are completely deluded.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I'm skeptical. Every game streaming service I've seen thus far has had issues with the gameplay not feeling responsive enough or the graphics being muddy and washed-out.

That, compounded by the fact that the kind of people who're wary of purchasing a dedicated console most likely don't currently prioritize having a fast internet connection.

Barsi

alt account
Banned
Jan 21, 2019
For the present will not put the world on fire, It is a project for tomorrow(10-20 years) not today.

The world infrastructure can't sustain a global stream game device.

Just a few consumers will have a good experience.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands

The thing is: you don't need crazy upload speeds. I think Google has a very firm grasp of what is attainable with the available bandwiths. Over 55 million Chromecasts (or Chromecast-compatible devices) have been sold already, I'm pretty sure they have done the math regarding the technical feasibility. I do think that Google's gaming plans wont succeed if you really need a specific extra device for it that will occupy another HDMI port. But if it uses the Chromecast platform; it might be big.

Cronogear

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
It's not necessarily a failing business model, it's just too soon. I think as internet improves game streaming will be the "no brainer" way to play games (similar to Netflix and movies), but with most people today having data caps and mediocre speeds, it's just not there yet.

And I don't know if Google has the patience to play the long game.

datbapple

Banned
Nov 19, 2017
I am incredible interested in why so many of you think streaming is the future? How have we gone from wanting ownership of the games we buy, to essentially a temporary license holder, month to month. Hella confusing.

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
It'll fail because google won't deliver on content & get bored with it not making any money after 2 years.

Plus it's another box under the TV, another HDMI port taken up. If this was s/ware only it'd be a different matter.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
I am incredible interested in why so many of you think streaming is the future? How have we gone from wanting ownership of the games we buy, to essentially a temporary license holder, month to month. Hella confusing.

because those are two entirely different groups of people who want that. The generation that grew up with the existence of Netflix or even things like Microsoft's Gamepass have become accustomed to the idea of paying for access rather than ownership, it's the default way of life for them.

It's mostly older people who still remember physical media that want to cling onto ownership (myself included).

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
You are right on all counts, lol. Google will reveal a business that is streaming-only (maybe with a little box & controller), and Era users will count it out because they haven't experienced how it works for themselves (much like VR).

Having tried the Project Stream beta on crappy American internet, I am optimistic for the service and excited to see what happens tomorrow.

mrtl

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For the present will not put the world on fire, It is a project for tomorrow(10-20 years) not today.

The world infrastructure can't sustain a global stream game device.

Just a few consumers will have a good experience.
Any connection that can run Netflix can run game streaming, unless you have extreme latency issues. It's just a video stream rendered in some data center instead of served from a flat file.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017

Imagine first from the perspective of someone who doesn't particularly enjoy games, and never liked any game enough to want to own it. Same people that exclusively game on mobile devices. The games just happen to be there, and they'll play them when riding on the bus or something. Now of course those people probably won't be convinced to pay a monthly fee to play games, and certainly not a monthly fee + the price of games $60 to sustain AAA development, but there's at least a market.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
It's not going to fail. However, it isn't going to offer anything that the average Resetera member will want. For the average gamer that plays EA/Activision/UbiSoft/Take-Two games and also people that enjoy mobile and retro gaming, sure!

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
This is not true.

"Urban" population / living in Cities and Towns.

UK: 80%+
USA: 80%+
Japan: ~80%
South Korea: ~82%

From a quick Google search.

*puts on tinfoil hat*

How many people watch YT at 4k 60fps though? Many people also play games at 4k 60+fps, but you don't see devs making games for that sliver of population alone do you? Like i said afterwards, there is a market for game streaming, but people thinking that it's the main plate for the present or even the immediate future are completely deluded.

mainstream 4k is a year away when all the consoles will come with it, and the introduction of 5G will make adaption quicker to faster speeds.

Deluded? lol. You seriously think all these streaming talks from the major players plus Google, Amazon, Apple entering the games business is all pure delusion? you're in for a rude awakening once next-gen ends. Next gen will be when streaming games will become mainstream.

Remember all the shit thrown around during 2013 when oh what if I lose connection blah blah blah and now half of game sales are from digital downloads?

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It'll fail because google won't deliver on content & get bored with it not making any money after 2 years.

Plus it's another box under the TV, another HDMI port taken up. If this was s/ware only it'd be a different matter.
It's software only too. They are not going to tie this into a box. You'll be able to just get on your smart tv and download a app to play.

TripaSeca

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo
Streaming movies and tv is completely different from streaming games. A movie that goes from 2160p to 480p for some time won't annoy the viewers too much. On the other hand, a game that flinches, stutters and loses image quality is very annoying.
Also, it's really a hard sell to stream a game in the same setting you'd very easily run it locally.
It's like picking the worst and most complicated option just because.

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018

yeah, tell that to everyone who watches netflix i.e. people who don't buy Blurays anymore. how is that confusing? A game is $60 a piece and if you can just stream a collection of games whenever you want on whatever device you want, why would you spend $60 on a single game when you can spend $20 a month to choose from hundreds of games?

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'm not tech savy here, at all, so my question is, if your internet is good enough to play Multiplayer games online, would it not also be good enough to stream games off a server? Isn't that basically what you're doing when you play multiplayer games online? Like, if every game runs as well as Rocket League or Rainbow 6 Seige, for me, and probably a lot of people, that would be good enough wouldn't it? Like I guess my XBOX or PS4 is rendering things on a local level that this wouldn't be, but what is the difference between this and say jumping into your friends Minecraft world or Far Cry world or games like that where you are kind of playing on your friends version of the game? Does that make any sense? What part of this do I have completely wrong?

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
because those are two entirely different groups of people who want that. The generation that grew up with the existence of Netflix or even things like Microsoft's Gamepass have become accustomed to the idea of paying for access rather than ownership, it's the default way of life for them.

It's mostly older people who still remember physical media that want to cling onto ownership (myself included).

It's definitely not generational, it's investment (not just monetary). Clearly if you were a huge fan of The Godfather, you wouldn't just subscribe to services and hope you see it some time it's on there. You'd own a physical copy (or a digital license).

The purpose of streaming services is content for people that don't really care about what content they get.

yeah, tell that to everyone who watches netflix i.e. people who don't buy Blurays anymore. how is that confusing? A game is $60 a piece and if you can just stream a collection of games whenever you want on whatever device you want, why would you spend $60 on a single game when you can spend $20 a month to choose from hundreds of games?

Buying of blurays is completely different, movies have the theater. Games industry can't sustain game development on $20 / month subs.

TrashHeap64

Dec 7, 2017
Austin, TX
Project Stream felt like a step in the right direction, but it didn't feel ready.
I have a moderately fast internet connection and even then it'd frequently pause or the quality would turn sub 720p with a ton of artifacts. Even still, there was noticeable input lag (much better than say, other forms of game streaming I've tried).

Detail

Dec 30, 2018
I think it's tough to describe if something "will benefit gaming in the long run." Does Netflix benefit the film/television/video industry in the long run? Tough to say. A lot of consumers love Netflix and are happy to pay the subscription price, but the result is that Netflix is now by far the most powerful company in Hollywood, after being mostly irrelevant to Hollywood just 15 years ago. In terms of music, is Spotify, Apple Music, Google Music, etc., beneficial to the music industry in the long run? Again, tough to say. Consumers love having a huge streaming catalogue and most are happy enough to pay the $10-$15 month for those perks. Whether it's really good for the music industry is another question.

I don't know whether I want game streaming "to be the future," but increasingly, my life is stored in the cloud and I access it through an app or a service. Where as, 20 years ago I might have had photo books and photo albums, I have all of my photos stored in the cloud now. All of the music I listen to I do from streaming or cloud-services; all of the movies I watch I watch on streaming services; All of the TV I watch I access through a streaming provider (YouTube TV in my case).

I've been very open to the digital future of games. I was on the initial Beta of Steam because I found so much value in being able to have my games in one place on my computer, launchable whenever I wanted, and as Steam becaame official and started adding a storefront, I got a tremendous amount of value in that. I look back on ~2003 and realize that I still have every Steam game I've ever purchased and loaded onto there, from the original Half-Life to the first game I purchased through Steam, Half-Life 2. Having moved houses/apartments at least a dozen times since 2003, I Can say with some confidence that I don't have any other physical release that I bought in 2003. They've either in a box burried somewhere in my parents attic, or maybe I lost them on a move, they got tossed out, misplaced, or maybe sold (although I only rarely sold physical games). When Xbox Live introduced a working store front, I was all in early, and I haven't bought a physical game in at least 5 or 6 years, though probably longer. I think the last physical game that I bought was probably like Red Dead Redemption 1, or at least, around whenever Xbox Live started selling retail and digital games on the same day (they used to be delayed usually, or at least not 1:1).

Similar with music, where I used to buy tapes, then CDs, and then in the 90s I started switching over entirely to digital music. At the time, it was illegally downloading music through Napster, then Kazaa when Napster got shut down, but I never did that to save money (At least, once I was ~18 or so), I did it primarily because I could just instantly get music and I found more value in having a huge catalog of music than I did in holding a physical disc or tape. Today, with my whole music catalogue backed up to Google Play Music, I still have live tape tradings from ~1997 for some of my then favorite bands, and I don't have any of those tapes anymore. Same with my music CDs, even more than games, I ripped them all at some point in the early 2000s and those discs are definitely all gone in a dustbin of civilization somewhere... But I still have access to just about all of those songs and albums because I store them in the cloud. Do I really "own" them? No, not really. If Google goes away tomorrow suddenly, like if Trump nationalizes GOogle, then I'd probably lose those songs realistically. But, I've lost the physical media they were on decades ago. I'd be sad, but not heart broken about it. For the rest of the music I listen to, I don't own any of it, but the convenience of being able to pull up any of millions of tracks outweighs the negative of not truly owning that album or single -- for me. SOme people may value dust jackets, jewel cases, and physical media, I really don't... For me, it feels like clutter and waste, because I'm not really big into collecting media. I'm very comfortable with the idea that if I stop paying for Google Music, then I lose access to that music streaming... This is something I'd probably be uncomfortable with 25 years ago. "Wait, I have to pay a subscription to listen to [insert favorite bands latest album]... ? That's nuts!" But today, it's very normal idea for me that I wouldn't buy the latest album from my favorite artist, but that I'd stream it instead.

SImilar experience with the Kindle, although I didn't primarily buy books digitally until about 2011 when I got my first Kindle. But since then, I've bought almost every book (except for research materials) digitally... and I love that I have my entire library of hundreds of books instantly available anywhere I go. I find tremendous value in that, it really syncs up well with my life.

I see the "digital future" in gaming similar to how it was with movies, music, books, and anything else, but gaming may be last to make the jump because latency and the demands of the medium have always made streaming difficult. We're getting there though. I participated in the Project Stream demo with Assassins Creed, and for me, who has super fast internet, the service was excellent... FOr me it felt basically identical to Assassins Creed on my Xbox One. Now, not every game will work like that... AC is already kinda laggy with inputs, and it's not a precision based game.

Now, I don't think that I could go full streaming "tomorrow" or anything. If you asked me tomorrow, "Ok, ditch all of your digital games on your Xbox/PS4 RIGHT NOW and go streaming only?" I couldn't do it. There's too many games that I playt hat require precision and ultra low latency, or they won't be supported on a streaming platform. But, I think progressively over time I could see myself shifting to a streaming platform as latency improves and more games see day one releases on it.

There are also benefits of streaming that I don't think have been explored, because it's really hard to think of a future outside of the present. A lot of the benefits of music streaming today, things we all take for granted, were impossibilities 20+ years ago. Things like playlists, recommendations, "artists you might like," and so much more, are things that really only exist because of music streaming, the huge catalogs, and huge data. In 1995 you could make a mixtape of 10-12 songs of your favorite songs and carry it around with you, and there's a lot of nostalgia with that, but today, you can arrange a 90 song party playlist in a matter of minutes and have music fit any event and ocassion, instantly. You can be listening to say, Chopin, and realize you like it, and then click the 'Radio' button for Chopin and now you'vee got your own radio station of not just classical music, but of specifically classical piano pieces from the romantic period of Debussy, Mendolsen, and Rachmaninov... You can stop listening at your desk and pick it up immediately on your phone, and then in your car, and then your speakers at home. Today, you carry an entire cannon of music with you wherever you go, and that's just a simple, normal thing. 25 years ago the idea of any of those things were impossible.

Likewise, with movies, television, and video media. Videogame streaming? eSports? Those things were impossible concepts 20 years ago. "ESPN will never air an Apex Legends match!" And it's true, they wouldn't, but Twitch can, and it'll get a million viewers. With movies and TV, you had ABC, CBS, FOX, and NBC making high quality television. If your show wasn't on one of those networks, it basically didn't exist, there was noplace for show makers to go who were provocative or wanted to make something out of the norm. Video services online like YouTube, Netflix, and now Hulu, Amazon, and the others, have opened this huge assortment of variety that experts would have said there's no market for 20 or 25 years ago. Genres have film have seen a huge resurgence, like the documentary. 25 years ago you'd get one or two documentary releases a year, none of them were that popular, maybe a handful would actually make it to theatres, but today, you have a new major documentary launching almost every week because people really like watching documentaries, but not many people like going to the movie theatre to watch documentaries. In home streaming has made that possible, really, without Netflix and HBO Go we wouldn't have the documentary landscape that we have today.

But, of course, videogames are different from ther media. It wont be 1:1... Videogame streaming likely won't suddenly lead to a resurgence in a particular genre like how movie streaming did with documentaries, you probably won't queue up a "Friday Night Gaming Playlist" like you do a "Friday Night Dance Remix Playlist" on Spotify. But, my opennness to game Streaming is that nobody would have thought there'd be a resurgence in documentaries or home music playlists before movie and music streaming became ubiquitous, and so I'm open to new opportunities that game streaming can provide that nobody can imagine right now.

FOr gaming, I think there's a tremendous opportunity to take your game with you. Not... the whole game, or exactly the same thing you're doing on your console, but, one of my ideas is... Let's say you're playing Madden on your couch, you play a game in FRanchise mode, and then shut down the console to go to work. But, while on the train, you open Madden on your phone. Not "Mobile Madden" or "Madden Companion App," but the same game you were just playing. Maybe on your phone you're not really into playing your actual games, you only have ~15mins or so, and the screensize is too small, but you are happy to make roster adjustments, trade players, upgrade the players on your team with XP you earned in your last game, or maybe just browse your franchise standings or do some managerial stuff. You get to work, sit at your desk, and you have 5mins to spend scouting players. Likewise, you go to your browser and login to your console, and you do your scouting from your Chrome browser. It's not "MAdden Scouting Tool" or something it's just ... the game.

RIght now, the concept of doing something across devices is normal in other areas. Like, I routinely type out long ass posts like this one on ResetEra from my desktop computer, and then when I'm on the bus I might read threads or scan the forums but I don't post very often... maybe short replies or a paragraph here and there. And then, when I get home at night, I might load up the site from my Tablet and do a mix of posting + reading. This is very normal and common with a lot of different activities we do, but it's not common with videogames. Sure, you have mobile games, but they're usually discrete apps and experiences. It's not the same game you're playing. But it could be. Games aren't "Responsive" today. You might have a game you play on your console which has a companion app which is a glorified website. But, I don't see why the same game can't run on your Xbox One X, and then also run on your phone, and then also on your work PC... not wrappers, special apps, but the same game, and then it's up to you if you want to only do some things on your phone and save other things for playing in front of your TV. For instance, I might prefer to be in front of my TV at home to play a game of Madden, but someone else might have no problem playing that on their phone, much like how I like to watch movies on my big screen TV at home, but other people have no problem watching a feature length movie on their phone in bed. Gaming doesn't really give you that option today, and if it does it's usually with distinct experiences: People play console games, and they play mobile games, but they rarely play games that span both (there's a few examples, but not many), and I think there's an opportunity to explore that. This might not require game streaming, but game streaming could really make that possible or easier to explore.

I'm really open to streaming because I think there's opportunities like this, and I think there's a lot of "unknown unknowns," that could be opened up in the future. If Google launches game streaming tomorrow, I think they're doing so because it fits their vision of the future, not so much because they think they can make money on the platform in the short term. They bought YouTube a decade ago back when nobody knew how to monetize YouTube. They gave people 1GB of email storage back when your ISP controlled your email and Hotmail gave you 10mb of storage with no option to upgrade. They launched Google Docs when the idea of doing word processing in your browser was not even on anybody's radar (even if cloud storage kinda was). Down the line, Google takes chances on things, and sometimes they don't work out ("Google Wave," "Google Plus," "Allo," and any of their other products that they shuttered). I think Google is bullish on 5G and the future of cheap data, just as they were when they bought YOuTube a decade ago, and that they may also be debuting a videogame streaming service as a way not ... really to get into gaming ... but as some other tangential benefit to their business (much like why they launched Gmail).

This really is a fantastic post and I am going to respond to it in full once I am on my PC because it's a pain to respond in length on my phone as I have to keep scrolling up and also my fingers are constantly mistyping things on here haha.

Honestly though this was the best response I have ever received and I really appreciate long form well thought out replies as I commonly (when not on my phone) prefer to do the same.

I agree with pretty much the majority of your post, I do have a differing view on game streaming for a number of reasons however I will leave that for my proper response, I might end up inboxing you though as it will probably be pretty lengthy lol.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
Clearly if you were a huge fan of The Godfather, you wouldn't just subscribe to services and hope you see it some time it's on there. You'd own a physical copy (or a digital license).

But I don't think that's entirely true anymore. I don't think we have a generation of people growing up with that expectation.

What they expect is that there will be a streaming service that supplies access to the things they are huge fans of, and that's the one they give their money to. These services will be run by the license holders of the properties themselves. And the industry is seemingly testing to see what the limit is for people willing to subscribe to multiple services at once by every major producer creating their own platform.

Fans of the MCU films will likely subscribe to Disney in order to see their favorite Marvel films again. And if not on an ongoing basis, if Disney prices it low enough, it's going to become one of those "Oh I really want to watch Thor 2 again, I guess it's only $6/m for Disney+, I can spare that for a month", and Disney just thrives on people subbing and unsubbing whenever the temptation takes them, or having it low enough that people just maintain the sub even when they're not using it that often, or at all, because it's just "pocket change" to do so. And people will willingly go along with this.

That's where I see the business going. The amount of people who really care about ownership is dwindling. It's not like they're going to disappear overnight, but consumers have shown they're willing to throw away the concept of ownership for convenience, and short term savings.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
But I don't think that's entirely true anymore. I don't think we have a generation of people growing up with that expectation.

What they expect is that there will be a streaming service that supplies access to the things they are huge fans of, and that's the one they give their money to. These services will be run by the license holders of the properties themselves. And the industry is seemingly testing to see what the limit is for people willing to subscribe to multiple services at once by every major producer creating their own platform.

Fans of the MCU films will likely subscribe to Disney in order to see their favorite Marvel films again. And if not on an ongoing basis, if Disney prices it low enough, it's going to become one of those "Oh I really want to watch Thor 2 again, I guess it's only $6/m for Disney+, I can spare that".

That's where I see the business going.

I mean if Disney puts their entire catalog up for $6/month that will be one of the best deals of all time, but that's like asking Nintendo to put up every NES, SNES, GC, Wii, and Switch game up for $6/month. It'll never happen. People will be buying digital licenses / physical copies for as long as capitalism lasts.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I doubt it's a failing business model, but I bet Google aren't the successful player in the market, give up after 2 years and shelve like with their laundry list of projects.

Personally, not in for streaming due to the types of games I play. I know it's inevitable but I'll have 40 years worth of gaming to play by then.