• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
Imagine thinking that a brand with the 2nd biggest sub based mmo on the market is dead. Wtf.

Pachinko

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Nah OP. Even though it was a sloppy mess of a game FFXV sold very well. The 9 years or so it spent in the oven was kind of a mess too, imagine a small team doing preproduction for 4 years and then when they finally get the chance to build a proper game out of all that work it turns out the engine can't handle it. What do you do ? you quit after 2 years without ever ramping up to a full team. That was Versus XIII from 2006-2011. It wasn't "free" of course but it didn't cost 20 million a year either. I'd be amazed if they blew more then 20 million total until it was shelved in fact. PS4 devkits roll in and Tabata takes a look at what's there and says "I can turn this into a finished game in time for christmas 2014" so the higher ups let him. But by the time 2013 rolls around after a year of development it becomes apparent that the crystal toolset is still ass for what they want so they build a new engine from scratch. This takes all of 2013 and a good chunk of 2014. The game is now officially behind schedule by a year from it's new release date. Another 30 million was probably blown building it by the end of 2014. Work on a final release version begins AFTER the demo included with type 0 HD, this is the only time it gets a AAAA budget and 18 months of crunch I'm sure. I imagine this point in the games development cost another 50 milion. So add that all up and I don't think square spent more than 100 million on the games development from the Versus XIII days all the way through it's launch in 2016. All the DLC that ended up coming out might have represented another 15 million in development costs. It's marketing budget was quite large but I think all in all , even counting Kingsglaive in there, Square spent, AT MOST, 250 million on EVERYTHING to do with FFXV (outside of the mobile game). It sold 5 million copies almost immediately at full price, that's 300 million in revenue, of which square keeps close to 200 million. Since then another 5 million copies have sold for an average cost of about 50% the original sale price. 150 million more in revenue with 100 million going to square. Finally everything short of the mobile game (cross promos with other games, FF14 items and such leading to more subs, DLC, etc) probably lead to another 50 million or so in profits. So all the non mobile stuff at worst was still a return on investment, maybe not a HUGE one but a return none the less. The brand was profitable. It also re-ignited the brand as being a high quality franchise after some duds lowered that a bit. The mobile game does some sort of profit sharing nonsense and has generated enough cash to pay for FFXV twice over , even if square only gets a cut of that , it's still a lot of money.

So no OP, there's no way Square stops making "new" final fantasy games. A release date for one this coming generation might be tricky due to FF7R but , it will happen. It's production also shouldn't suffer from all the problems which plagued FFVsXIII/XV either.

The Emperor

Oct 25, 2017
FFXIV - 2nd most popular MMO right now

FFXV - best selling FF game since FFX/VIII

FFVII - bound to sell more than FFXV

All equals no FFXVI

LOLMAO

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
This uptick in "FF is a dead/damaged brand" sentiment is hilarious. I guess it was inevitable since VIIR is finally releasing and that's making all sorts of weird takes come out of the woodwork. FFXIV says hi

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
The FF series is a once-mighty brand that really hasn't been able to live up to it's name for the past decade or so. It really has no identity anymore.

How can you even make such a statement when FFXV sold like hotcakes and FFXIV just released one of the best rated expansions ever?
Final Fantasy literally lived up to it's name with the release of Shadowbringers last year.

Why would they spend the money to develop a brand new MMO when they can keep refreshing & adding content to XIV, which has such a huge installed user base?

Why did they make FF XIV (+2.0) when FFXI existed? FFXI still does exist by the way.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
You and I know well enough that Square Enix will alternate between Final Fantasy mainline, FF7 instalments and smaller spin-off titles for the next couple of decades.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is one of the worst and most ill-informed takes I've read in a long while

There'll be new mainline FFs for a long, long time.

THANKS

Prophet of Regret
Oct 22, 2018
This is one of the worst and most ill-informed takes I've read in a long while

There'll be new mainline FFs for a long, long time.
Agree. So ill-informed.

FF15 had to sell 5 million to break even. It is currently at around 9 million.
FF 16 is in active development and Yoshi-P is rumoured to be on it.
With FF14 being successful it is likely that FF17 or 18 will be an MMO follow up.

Unbelievable OP.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Thanks for giving me a chuckle this early in the morning, appreciate it.

But for reals: Nah. XV gave them their most profitable FY ever, that game was a hit as far as they are concerned. They are investing heavily into 7R. The FF mobile games bring in good cash. And FFXVI is likely being developed as we speak.

edit: oh and I completly forgot FFXIV and how sucessful that one is

crimilde

Oct 26, 2017
c53.gif

ffvorax

Oct 27, 2017
Prediction: FFXVI is already on development and will be showed in a year.

I cant really see how FFXV will be the last one... I see zero chances. The brand is incredibly strong.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Can't agree. I do think FFVII Remake and subsequent parts have a good chance of outperforming the eventual FFXVI, but I think XVI is inevitable and its development will be far more focused than XV and it will come out in a relatively timely manner.

Rockets

Sep 12, 2018
I don't think FF15 is the last entry but it may very well be a long time till 16 releases. OP is right for the most part

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I reckon FFVII Dev will quicker than expected at this point. Outside bet on

2020: Final Fantasy VII Part 1 PS4

2021:
April FFVII Part 1 XSX, PC,
November Part 2 PS4, PS5

2022: April FFVII Part 2, XSX, PC
November Part 3 PS4, PS5

2023:
April: Special Collectors Editions everywhere of FFVII on everything

2024: January FFXVI

Vinnk

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
OP, let me put it this way.

This is ERA.

On this site you will find a defense force for:

Charging money for changing hair color in a game
Nintendo Switch voice chat "solution"
Live-streaming in a public restroom.
Having an AMA on 8Chan.
etc.

And yet this same ERA unanimously thinks you are wrong. Let that sink in.

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
LMAO We'll definitely see FFXVI soon, and by that I mean see it even before FF7 Part II. It's not like Square Enix is not used to have multiple Final Fantasy in dev.

Prediction : FFXVI will be developed with Unreal Engine and with Yoshida from FFXIV at its helm it will be a critically acclaimed new entry for the series.

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
maybe not the LAST one, but i agree that they'll focus on 7r before worrying about 16.

a couple of years after 7r is done we may start getting 16 news.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
Final Fantasy is a siloed enough franchise with enough different key dev talent and teams that there is nothing stopping them from putting FF16 out in between FF7R installments. In fact, you might argue it makes a lot of sense - as it takes pressure off the 7R team by providing a 'distraction' to the public.

This is a franchise that announced its 9th, 10th and 11th entries on the same day. A franchise that announced a sub-series of 3 different but connected games on the same day. A franchise that released its 13th and 14th entries months apart. It is not unprecedented. It hasn't always gone well, but SE is more stable than ever development wise. They can probably accomplish these things successfully now.

My prediction is Yoshida's development studio will develop a FF16 with key staff from ARR and the 14 expansions in key roles. Tracking the FF14 credits across the expansions paints a clear picture, with people like Hiroshi Takai (who has directorial experience having done the flawed but very interesting/unique The Last Remnant a decade ago) disappearing off the 14 projects to... nothing. What are they working on? I bet it won't be a mere 'traditional' FF and will leverage the studio's online experience/expertise by having a significant online component that rather than a separate mode is integrated into the story, probably, surely mindful of the successes of things like Destiny, MHW, etc. FF always reinvents and this makes sense. Let the 14 team make a game that is the bridge between the MMOs and the traditional FFs (which will still continue to be represented over the next few years by FF7R, which therefore softens the blow of making a 16 so different.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
This narrative that I keep seeing that FFXV damaged the FF brand to the point that the franchise needs a reboot despite the fact it sold over 9 million copies is just peak Era.

Willful ignorance because of your own personal feelings about a game. It would be nice if some of you read the facts and understood how things work before making threads like this. Jesus.

seady

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 21, 2019
They get a lot of money for porting their FF games to everywhere. Even for Final Fantasy VII Remake I can see SquareEnix milking it forever. Expect to see it ported to every system after it released on PS4.

8K Edition coming to PS5 and XBseriesX.
Portable version coming to Switch 2.
Mobile lite version coming to iPhone 13.
Steam, EGS etc...

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
Final Fantasy is a siloed enough franchise with enough different key dev talent and teams that there is nothing stopping them from putting FF16 out in between FF7R installments. In fact, you might argue it makes a lot of sense - as it takes pressure off the 7R team by providing a 'distraction' to the public.

This is a franchise that announced its 9th, 10th and 11th entries on the same day. A franchise that announced a sub-series of 3 different but connected games on the same day. A franchise that released its 13th and 14th entries months apart. It is not unprecedented. It hasn't always gone well, but SE is more stable than ever development wise. They can probably accomplish these things successfully now.

My prediction is Yoshida's development studio will develop a FF16 with key staff from ARR and the 14 expansions in key roles. Tracking the FF14 credits across the expansions paints a clear picture, with people like Hiroshi Takai (who has directorial experience having done the flawed but very interesting/unique The Last Remnant a decade ago) disappearing off the 14 projects to... nothing. What are they working on? I bet it won't be a mere 'traditional' FF and will leverage the studio's online experience/expertise by having a significant online component that rather than a separate mode is integrated into the story, probably, surely mindful of the successes of things like Destiny, MHW, etc. FF always reinvents and this makes sense. Let the 14 team make a game that is the bridge between the MMOs and the traditional FFs (which will still continue to be represented over the next few years by FF7R, which therefore softens the blow of making a 16 so different.
Exactly this.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
LMAO We'll definitely see FFXVI soon, and by that I mean see it even before FF7 Part II. It's not like Square Enix is not used to have multiple Final Fantasy in dev.

Prediction : FFXVI will be developed with Unreal Engine and with Yoshida from FFXIV at its helm it will be a critically acclaimed new entry for the series.
Yoshida is our last hope.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
What are they working on? I bet it won't be a mere 'traditional' FF and will leverage the studio's online experience/expertise by having a significant online component that rather than a separate mode is integrated into the story, probably, surely mindful of the successes of things like Destiny, MHW, etc. FF always reinvents and this makes sense. Let the 14 team make a game that is the bridge between the MMOs and the traditional FFs (which will still continue to be represented over the next few years by FF7R, which therefore softens the blow of making a 16 so different.

Dont bring that evil on us. Thats the last thing I want from a mainline FF that isnt an MMO and I think Yoshida is smart enough to know that. An optional online mode would make more sense.

filterfilter

Nov 12, 2019
Correct, XVI development was cancelled so that all focus can be put on XIII's remaster. Can't wait for it.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
XV was a huge success, while I know the word of mouth is mixed it was enough sales to break various records and for them to support the game for quite some time after launch. They won't just live by with remakes, remasters and spin-offs. Is XVI far off? Probably. No reason why it should never ever arrive.

Senator Rains

Oct 27, 2017
FFXV being a incomplete waste of a game didn't stop it from selling like crazy. Besides, why would a company throw away its flagship title, even if it sells poorly? It's kinda their only option at that point.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
FFXVI will come out. In what decade we don't know. Probably the 30s and I'm not joking.
Almost as bad of a prediction as OP. FF16 has already been in full development for years.
I haven't actually finished a FF game since 10 (which is my second favorite in the series). I feel like the wheels really started coming off the wagon with XII when they started trying to be a real-time action game and a jRPG at the same time. It's like you're getting the worst of both worlds.
FF12 is... just ATB. With programmable AI. It's no more "real-time action" than FF4-9. It's as classic of a FF game as any.

Your OP does make more sense though now in the context of "I haven't liked a Final Fantasy game in 20 years." Funny how it's always the people who haven't engaged with or paid attention this series in literal decades who think they have their finger on the pulse.

Next we'll hear about how FF14 isn't a "real" main series FF game, no doubt.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
No but Final Fantasy isn't going to see a rebound creatively. The first business division is stuck making FFVII for at least six more years and FFVII has been in development for five years already. This might even be the last game in the career of many FF veterans and that's fucking disheartening.

11 years for a remake of one game, they could have made two mainline FF in the same timeframe. "I want FF to evolve" my ass

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I reckon FFVII Dev will quicker than expected at this point. Outside bet on

2020: Final Fantasy VII Part 1 PS4

2021:
April FFVII Part 1 XSX, PC,
November Part 2 PS4, PS5

2022: April FFVII Part 2, XSX, PC
November Part 3 PS4, PS5

2023:
April: Special Collectors Editions everywhere of FFVII on everything

2024: January FFXVI
Yearly FFVII? Hello?

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
Dont bring that evil on us. Thats the last thing I want from a mainline FF that isnt an MMO and I think Yoshida is smart enough to know that. An optional online mode would make more sense.
I think so too, they already have a multiplayer game service with Final Fantasy XIV and that's enough.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Final Fantasy XV made back its costs on day one. It's the fifth top-selling FF of all time, if I remember right.

Final Fantasy XVI is probably going to take an annoyingly long time, but it is absolutely going to be a thing one day, no question.

Status
Not open for further replies.