• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love pre-rendered CG art. It existed for this brief period of time from the mid-to-late nineties and is unlikely to make a return, but the strange sense of eerieness and melancholy it displays is something I love, and when we get to games like Final Fantasy VIII and IX, it feels like you're walking along a beautiful canvas painting. It's a shame that modern advancements means we'll likely not see much in the way of it anymore outside of specific passions projects.

fl1M5HY.gif

I left a lot of great ones out, so post away!

SNRUB

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
I always loved the 2D painterly look of ND's Crash promo renders. I don't think they were actually pre-rendered, they just took the in-game models and just smoothed them out a bit in Photoshop or Illustrator.
gallery-1-6.jpg

renders-1-1.jpg

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
Are we talking about marketing material or pre-rendered backgrounds?
If the latter, Pillars of Eternity 2 has some beautiful pre-rendered backgrounds, with dynamic lightning and everything.

tumblr_p7tf36P7cR1tte9mqo2_400.gif
nRxk11y.gif

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People say it's a shame we don't get this anymore, but there's no reason developers couldn't do stuff like this in real-time.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Not to immediately turn this into an FF thread but

uQZXBYp.jpg

G0Y0Ouz.jpg

S2gbt41.gif

mtU2yAH.gif

I4Nd76I.gif

Dreamy. Someone post Syberia screenshots pls.

zoukka

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
The artistry and amount of assets that went into creating FFIX is absolutely stupendous.

Red Devil

Oct 29, 2017
Not sure this fits the topic since it's not 3D, but anyway:

J0ghB6I.gif

This is actual pre-rendered overworld you can walk over in SaGa Frontier 2. Every place is done like this and it holds up pretty well even after decades.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
I adore the classic pre rendered background look, I should post my own favourites later when I'm not on mobile.

For a long time I've been considering trying Pillars of Eternity just for those backgrounds even though I don't think the CRPG is my genre.

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
Blade Runner. Voxels on prerendered backgrounds. Dear god do I love the look of this game to this day.
blade-runner-video-game.jpg

l21fyazuzcyzkpa37fir.jpg

m2rjs0odljkfayzakktn.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Australia
Blade Runner. Voxels on prerendered backgrounds. Dear god do I love the look of this game to this day.

l21fyazuzcyzkpa37fir.jpg

I still think more devs should play this and take some copious notes. Even something as fundamental as the size of your character on screen is really perfect, emphasises both the production design and also the tiny-cog-in-a-big-machine nature of the story.

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017
Seeing those FF 7/8/9 prerendered backgrounds make me sad that they lost the original renders, so it can't be remastered in higher resolution.

Yan

Oct 29, 2017
I think one of the reasons why these backdrops look so good is because the games had a fixed camera. This way they could make the perfect composition and frame the background in a way you can't do with a controlable camera.
I wish there were more games that still did this. Looks absolutely stunning with the right artists.

papercan

Oct 25, 2017
love them all! I know most people hate pre-rendered and want it to stay dead but i absolutelty adore it.
donkey kong country, Remake, resident evil 2/3, final fantasy 7/8/9, baten kaitos, dino crisis, chrono cross, parasite eve, abes oddysee....

I'm dying for indie devs to take up the task but nothing seems to be happening, i'm guessing it requires such a huge effort from the artists intially, not only creating the backgrounds but framing them, that it's a big ask for most big developers now, let-alone indie devs.

Last edited:

Elodes

Looks to the Moon
Nov 1, 2017
The Netherlands
Rain World looks absolutely gorgeous. I can't post too many images due to spoilers, but these get the job done:

vnGGdsf.jpg

ftY7hdD.jpg

(Edit: Or is this thread only for CG/3D art?)

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The Commandos series had these amazing maps which I believe were a mix of CG and painting

k00Gj4e.jpg

jlI87Fq.jpg

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
90's pre-rendered art had a big effect on me playing games, as it made the characters and worlds of games feel so much bigger and alive than the technical limitations would allow at the time. I'd imagine it's akin to how the old art for Zelda 1 or Dragon Quest helped give those players a look into the game worlds beyond 8-bit sprites.

Rare's work in particular was really inspiring, as the old DKC games had me awestruck at the backgrounds and character animations.