• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
mario01.jpg
MARIO019.JPG
MARIO014.JPG
MARIO004.JPG

When i saw these in Game Pro magazine as a kid i though "Damn, were in the future", especially coming off of SNES and Sega Genesis games and i think even the PSX and Sega Saturn was out
Yep. I didn't comprehend how you were supposed to even play a game that way.

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
bESJk8o.jpg

Crazy to think these graphics still hold up against to some of the biggest games today.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
nfl-2k5-sold-for-just-20-and-that-terrified-ea-1554509530.jpg

NFL 2K. Look at that! The stands aren't just a single smeared texture, you can, like, make out individual people up there! Whoa

That's not an original NFL 2K screenshot. It's probably NFL 2K4, because it has the ESPN branding, and Eli Manning is the Giants QB (Drafted in '04, but was backup to Kurt Warner his rookie year, so 2K4 would have been the 2005 NFL season which would seem right). In 2000, 2001, etc, I think Kerry Collins (#5) would have been QB.

NFL 2K still looked amazing for it's time, but I believe these were some of the original press shots:

rRPRZUT.png

Yl3gA26.png

Mar 26, 2018
If someone has the mag and remembers (and can show) that would be amazing)

There was this screen shot of an off road racer in EGM or something similar, probably was a few mags with the same pic

There was a dark mountain and may have been show with cars going around and bright lights and beams.

In my mind it looked like what PS3 would have looked at during this time and this was for the N64

racer in a mag for N63
Small screens and wondering if anyone has any idea?

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
finalfantasyxiii_sc003

I remember being so impressed by this early build screenshot from Final Fantasy XIII. I think they ended up swapping an engine or something because the lighting, hair and skin textures, seemed to change dramatically just a year later.

Oct 25, 2017
005047s007.jpg

This shot of RDR blew me away, the distance of the open world looked insane.

site_infamous-ss-5.jpg

Also this shot of the original inFamous put it on my radar, I played that demo so much when it came out, pre-ordered then canceled at multiple places to get all the pre-order bonuses, good times

anf

Oct 27, 2017
San Francisco, USA
It's really fun seeing who on resetera is from what decade based on what screenshots they are posting.

For me it was Bouncer, Gateway, Roque Squadron, MGS2.

Heri

Oct 28, 2017
Rengoku and Ridge Racer on PSP

4U5IT9W.jpg

qQQhEfa.jpg

I know it doesn't seem like much but seeing that on a portable console after spending the last few years playing the GBA was like the most impressive thing ever, I was like "holy shit, a portable ps2!"

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Early Sonic Adventure screenshots were on another level. Too many come to mind, but here is one of my favorites that has not been posted yet.
822_s0.jpg

3D tunnels! The details of those cracks! His head turns!

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018

So rad. I remember Next Generation magazine doing a very short preview of FFVII in 1996, saying something about: "The lead character is Claude, who was previously a minor character in FFVI." Pretty much every NA gaming magazine was referring to him as "Claude" but I always wondered where the hell they came up with the rest of that shit.

What's the backstory of Final Fantasy VII not dropping on N64 and instead going to PSX? I remember FFVII being huge when it released but I wasn't into RPGs, I rented it and didn't really get it, but I thought the environments looked awesome.

The last version of the story I heard: In 1993 Nintendo partnered with SGI to design the follow up to the SNES. Square was virtually a 1st party Nintendo developer back then. So was Rare. Square and Rare both invested in their own SGI workstations, assuming they would need them to develop for the next console. This is how Donkey Kong Country came about on SNES, Rare used their SGI machines to do all of the prerendered 3D graphics. Likewise with Square and Super Mario RPG. Then they started experimenting and designing FFVII on their SGI machines, and getting into very robust pre-rendered backgrounds and FMV. This stuff required the large storage capacity of CD ROM, there was no way around it. Nintendo was originally going to partner with Sony to go CD, but they ended up stabbing Sony in the back and partnering with Phillips instead. Then that fell through as well. This is literally why the Playstation came to exist... it was originally going to be a CD ROM add-on for the SNES, just like the Sega CD for Megadrive/Genesis. After Nintendo betrayed Sony, Sony said "Fuck it, we'll just finish this project as our own stand-alone CD ROM console." Nintendo ultimately decided CD ROMs were no go and that the next console would use cartridges. Square tried to convince them to go CD because the games they were now developing simply weren't going to be workable in cartridge format, but Nintendo wouldn't budge. Sony made it very easy for Square to jump ship and go with them instead of Nintendo.

Last edited:

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's crazy how familiar so many of these screenshots still are. You guys are making me feel old, though. I think I was the only one to post something from the '80s.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
I wish I could find screens, but the first screenshots of Zelda 3 / A Link to the Past looked unreal to me. The return of that top-down view from Zelda 1, but with very colorful and detailed graphics. The screenshots I'm thinking of are of the first dungeon, including the boss.

Also PC Gamer had a preview of Quake 3 with one of the characters (probably Sarge) emerging from a red mist, at the time the face texture looked "photo-realistic."

Speculator

Oct 30, 2017
Austin
Some additional hype shots:

Halo 1999
y4kh6cr6quzQ38cbznk8ve.jpg

Medal of Honor Allied Assault:
373443-mohaa_006.jpg

Mechwarrior 2009 (The trailer was everything I ever wanted from a MW game...if only it became reality)
mechwarrior-project-20090708041856736.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
The early Mario 64 and OOT screens are tops. Besides that...

yi-n64-concept.jpg

Yoshi's Island 64 (Yoshi's Story) - The first shots of Yoshi's Story had me excited, coming off the excellent Yoshi's Island from a couple years ago, now in the style of Donkey Kong Country on steroids. This Piranha Plant Forest picture in particular had me going nuts.

Oct 30, 2017

yesss came here to post this specific screen.

since you didn't say what it is, it's an early duke nukem forever screenshot from after they switched engines but just before it was totally clear that it'd never come out. this was reprinted in every PC magazine for months because no-one had any other material.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
First screenshots of Driver Renegade (3DS) :

large.jpg

Driver-Renegade-3D.jpg

Reality:

DriverRenegadeScreenshot03.jpg

driver_renegade_7.jpg

The game looks nice in places, but it's clear that the game was developed with the assumption that the system was going to be more powerful. The same thing happened to the developers of Shinobi 3DS, though I don't think they ever released early screenshots.

TigerGD

Oct 29, 2017
If someone has the mag and remembers (and can show) that would be amazing)

There was this screen shot of an off road racer in EGM or something similar, probably was a few mags with the same pic

There was a dark mountain and may have been show with cars going around and bright lights and beams.

In my mind it looked like what PS3 would have looked at during this time and this was for the N64

racer in a mag for N63
Small screens and wondering if anyone has any idea?
Top Gear Rally (N64 target renders)
top8.jpg

tgrall4.jpg

topgea5.jpg

topgea3.jpg

*sigh* I believed the hype, too.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Yep, surprised it took 7 pages to get Battlefield 3. People were losing their minds back then.

Battlefield 3 still looks outstanding, especially at high resolutions with a lot of downsampling to clean up the IQ. The texture quality is excellent and the lighting/shading has a really balanced, realistic look. 4 onwards, particularly 1 and V, lather on Frostbite post processing to a far more excessive degree. They're technically superior but the clean, sharper look of Battlefield 3 lost. Changes made to the way Frostbite handles lighting give 1 and V this weird, not quite realistic look that I find hard to articular. Like materials don't look like materials they're supposed to be; a bit too soft or something.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
After years of playing this for hundreds of hours:
36419-medieval-total-war-windows-screenshot-battle.jpg

I started seeing screenshots of THIS:
rome-total-war-20040824042254068.jpg

I was blown away.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Battlefield 3 still looks outstanding, especially at high resolutions with a lot of downsampling to clean up the IQ. The texture quality is excellent and the lighting/shading has a really balanced, realistic look. 4 onwards, particularly 1 and V, lather on Frostbite post processing to a far more excessive degree. They're technically superior but the clean, sharper look of Battlefield 3 lost. Changes made to the way Frostbite handles lighting give 1 and V this weird, not quite realistic look that I find hard to articular. Like materials don't look like materials they're supposed to be; a bit too soft or something.

The PC version of BF3 was basically an early current-gen game. The console version already felt like a downport of a next-gen game. In 2011 I remember BF3, Witcher 2, and Crysis 2 notably feeling like this.

And as far as Frostbite is concerned don't forget the PC version of Medal of Honor Warfighter from the very next year. People overlook that game, probably rightfully so, but tech-wise the PC version maxed out was basically a preview of BF4.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
First screenshots of Driver Renegade (3DS) :

large.jpg

Driver-Renegade-3D.jpg

Reality:

DriverRenegadeScreenshot03.jpg

driver_renegade_7.jpg

The game looks nice in places, but it's clear that the game was developed with the assumption that the system was going to be more powerful. The same thing happened to the developers of Shinobi 3DS, though I don't think they ever released early screenshots.
Is this game good? I *always* forget that it exists

el_galvon

Jun 13, 2019
The feeling of astonishment with pre-release images was more common to me in the jump to the 128-bit consoles. Shenmue, Dead or Alive 2, FFX, MGS 2... it was all pretty unreal.

But the screenshots that I became almost obsessed with were the pre-release images of Liberty City on GTA IV:
3354_gtaiv_broker_brownstone.jpg

3364_gtaiv_broker_bridge_hill.jpg

3557_gtaiv_screenshot.jpg

3765_gta_iv.jpg

3860_gta_iv.jpg

The last one was my wallpaper for a very long time. Unfortunately I did not like the game as much as the previous ones, even though it has it's moments.

Mar 26, 2018
Yes, that is what I saw and i
Top Gear Rally (N64 target renders)
top8.jpg

tgrall4.jpg

topgea5.jpg

topgea3.jpg

*sigh* I believed the hype, too.

Thast was it, and even at a young age I always saw that and was thinking that is the best looking game I ever saw and I was always hyped for that lol That is much closer to a souped up ps2 game IMO and I think I was seeing that somewhere 97/98 if it was 99 not sure I would have been as impressed but I'm not sure when that was running.

Ben Ward

Developer at Supergonk
Verified
Feb 22, 2018
This PGR3 screenshot:

PGR33dscreen.jpg

It was actually referred to as a "3D screenshot" that you could download and rotate.

Oh cool, I made that screenshot. Glad to see you still remember it! It was a strange time - we'd release a screenshot and people would say it's fake ("too many polys", apparently). So then I'd line up the same screenshot but capture it in wireframe mode and release that too. The 360's capabilities were mind-blowing to some at the time!

The 3D screenshot thing was an idea I had to, in part, help show that this was a real game and not bullshots. I captured it frame by frame using an automated orbit camera and then stitched it all together in Flash. It was a time before high-def streaming video, so this was a creative solution to an issue that just doesn't exist now.

Not long after this I was able to travel to Tokyo, stand in the same spot at the Government No 1 building and take my own real-life panoramic screenshot (unfortunately without the F1 LM!).

Ben

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
I thought nothing at the time of watching PGR TV and lost countless hours. Now the thought of watching randomers play I just can't get my head around.

Yep, surprised it took 7 pages to get Battlefield 3. People were losing their minds back then.
For me, BF3 Alpha/Beta was the first next-gen game.

Ofc the SP has a whole more post-proc going on than MP, but even so. The Going Hunting (I think its called) mission on the aircraft carrier was a real melter.