• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tap In

Oct 28, 2017
Gilbert AZ
i think im gonna stick to my plan where i use my 2TB HDD to store games off the SSD and just transfer them as i need. Its clunky but boy its better than spending over $200.
Yep

No need to buy unless you got plenty of cash to spare

And on the S, remember assets for games are expected to be around half the size of the X so it's relative.

Just what were dealing with to have this fast game use storage this Gen. It's a fair trade for me if it makes games load super fast and adds to the performance.

But keeping cold storage should be piece of cake as having 5-6 games at a time playable is probably best for my obsessive nature anyway

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
So uh, same price for more than 3x performance?
Proprietary vs off the shelf.

PS5 may end up with cheaper alternatives for expansion.

Sony made the right choice here for internal storage expansion. The Samsung drive is the "top end" model so other brands could be cheaper. Over time there will be more options and more competition = better prices.

Nov 27, 2017
California
Just enough for next gen Warzone
I wonder how much space that'll take up with Cold War since it's the same as MW, both on the same screen so you need to download both

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So who does the "certification" for SSDs for PS5? Sony? The manufacturer? What happens if you plug in a drive that's not fast enough? Do they do a speed test on the drive when you plug it in?

Oct 28, 2017
Just going to get something cheap for cold storage and swap a game in if needed. Don't think I'll need immediate access to 2TB worth of games.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
And we don't know how large will the OS take and block from use (for video recording and whatnot). Didn't X1's OS +$$ 130 GB or something? I remember the threads on forums of people complaining their consoles had like 300GB available storage.

Not to mention the suspend and resume feature. Do they set aside a specific amount of HD space for it, or allow users to suspend as many games as they want if the hard drive space is there? If you make a habit of suspending everything you are playing you could quickly have a lot of space eaten up without realizing it.

Deleted member 70824

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2020
ouch. that means it's probably $349 to sell here in Australia.

I think I'll be sticking with external HDD for a while yet

Crazymoogle

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Asia

Still not really sure what the XSX expansion is; it could be a fullspeed TLC PCIe4 single-chip drive that halves the bandwidth, or it could be QLC in which case there are cheaper options. Not a lot cheaper, but generally QLC is discounted compared to TLC drives.

So who does the "certification" for SSDs for PS5? Sony? The manufacturer? What happens if you plug in a drive that's not fast enough? Do they do a speed test on the drive when you plug it in?

Sony. The PS5 drive is a 12 channel TLC implementation so there's no apples:apples sold anywhere, but the common assumption based on what Cerny said is that any drive capable of 7GB/s+ is going to be compatible, so

Samsung 980 Pro
Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus
GAMMIX S70 Gen 4 (new model)
and basically all of the Phison E18 based, 7.5GB/s SSDs shipping this holiday

We don't know for certain (and they haven't demoed what would happen with a slower drive) but that's the assumption thus far.

Oct 25, 2017

These absolutely will not be on par with the chips you get in Samsung Pro series NVMEs. Those are for high end professional applications. (I was actually surprised at how relatively not expensive the 980 Pros are, fwiw).

edit: huh, Samsung moved the Pros to TLC for the 980 series, I guess these are the new EVOs.

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if we see a price drop for Xbox proprietary ssd because over time the add on ssds for ps5 will get cheaper due to competition and scale due to making more for Pc usage too.

Apr 18, 2018
I hope theres some changes at the OS level that helps automatically manage your storage if you are using an external non-SSD drive.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the link, got my order in. Do we have any sense of availability on the Sony equivalent, or if there will even be one?

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Still not really sure what the XSX expansion is; it could be a fullspeed TLC PCIe4 single-chip drive that halves the bandwidth, or it could be QLC in which case there are cheaper options. Not a lot cheaper, but generally QLC is discounted compared to TLC drives.

Sony. The PS5 drive is a 12 channel TLC implementation so there's no apples:apples sold anywhere, but the common assumption based on what Cerny said is that any drive capable of 7GB/s+ is going to be compatible, so

Samsung 980 Pro
Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus
GAMMIX S70 Gen 4 (new model)
and basically all of the Phison E18 based, 7.5GB/s SSDs shipping this holiday

We don't know for certain (and they haven't demoed what would happen with a slower drive) but that's the assumption thus far.
You don't need drives faster than 7 GB/s. That's the limit for PCI 4x4. We don't know what the minimum is needed, all we know is that it has to be above the PS5's 5.5 GB/s.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
What is this based on? Game sizes on the Series S will be 30% smaller than Series X, though.
Based on PS5 game install sizes, just look at where current gen games are already.

Which honestly seems like a good deal for the speed that the SSD will run at.
The advantage of third party price competition, I think a lot of people are surprised at the pricing though as most were thinking $300.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
Dumb question, but can we get cheaper storage for something that fits that port or are these expensive ones the only thing you can use?

OP
OP
Belthazar90

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019

Cerny said they'll release a whitelist as they become available, but I doubt the console will outright block SSDs that aren't whitelisted. The console will most likely run a test as you boot it with a new off-the-shelf SSD, to ensure that the PS5 can make it match the internal drive's performance

MrBenchmark

Dec 8, 2017
Wonder if we see a price drop for Xbox proprietary ssd because over time the add on ssds for ps5 will get cheaper due to competition.
SSD will get cheaper thru mass adoption and when companies actually stop fixing prices of chips. I took forever for mechanical drive prices to drop but they did.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I pre-ordered a Series S

hqdefault.jpg

Edit: With that said it's just gonna be a GamePass machine so I'll delete games once I'm done/they leave the service. Will most likely only keep old games on there which aren't as big.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Wonder if we see a price drop for Xbox proprietary ssd because over time the add on ssds for ps5 will get cheaper due to competition and scale due to making more for Pc usage too.
I imagine so but probably slower since it's proprietary. But they're not going to want to look like they're price gouging if the ps5 one is $100 cheaper in a year.

Nov 8, 2017
Looks cheaper and faster than the current lot of CFexpress cards available. I guess it's an ok deal?

Could still just get a USB 3.2 external SSD for storage. Wouldn't take too long to move games over.

I have put a pre-order in for one of these things though. I kind of miss memory cards. Fucking nostalgia.

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck a duck. Hopefully costs come down in line with normal NVME drives over the next couple years.

How fast or slow is it to transfer from a USB storage device or not blazing fast ssd?
You'll probably get around 100 MB/second with a 7200 RPM HDD so for a 100GB game, that's about 15-20 minutes I think.

Sony whitelists individual models but if you put in an SSD that they didn't certify yet, the PS5 will probably just assume that it's a good enough SSD. It might do a quick benchmark but worst case scenario, the game just crashes and you'll have to return the SSD.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, fair enough. Also I didn't realize Samsung moved the Pros to TLC from MLC for the 980, so, there's that, too.
Yeah, it almost seems like Samsung is doing a rebrand on their SSD line. Which would explain the much cheaper starting price.
Makes me wonder if they're going to come out with a separate enterprise level SSD line that still uses MLC?

This price for the Microsoft Storage is pretty much as expected. Hope it can get cheaper over time.

Oct 29, 2017
I hope theres some changes at the OS level that helps automatically manage your storage if you are using an external non-SSD drive.

Yes. It would be neat if you click on a game in your library, but it's on your external HDD, that the system would say "ok this needs to be moved, it will take xx minutes." Then you could play other things in the meantime while waiting. And what if the internal ssd is full, maybe it would just automatically intelligently move the games you have played the longest ago over to your cold storage. So many questions, but an intelligent data movement system like this seems possible, at least on paper.

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
Ouch, I thought it would be lower. I was kinda hoping Microsoft would extend some goodwill towards us gamers. This kinda lowered my interest in Xbox after the Bethesda hype. I guess we'll have to see how big the games are.

Apr 18, 2018
Yes. It would be neat if you click on a game in your library, but it's on your external HDD, that the system would say "ok this needs to be moved, it will take xx minutes." Then you could play other things in the meantime while waiting. And what if the internal ssd is full, maybe it would just automatically intelligently move the games you have played the longest ago over to your cold storage. So many questions, but an intelligent data movement system like this seems possible, at least on paper.

Yeah, might not be available for launch but certainly seems plausible to add at some point.

Deeke

Oct 25, 2017
United States

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
ITT people are still under the delusion that every single game is over 100 GB in size and they're the same size on S as X.
Idk if it's a price error but I'm seeing 1TB for $149 which is a steal at that price-to-perf ratio.

Amazon.com: SAMSUNG 980 PRO SSD 500GB - PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD Single Unit Version (MZ-V8P500B/AM): Computers & Accessories

Buy SAMSUNG 980 PRO SSD 500GB - PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD Single Unit Version (MZ-V8P500B/AM): Electronics - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases
That's a 500gb

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Expensive, but maybe sometime in the future. In the meantime, happy to keep the 2TB external storage I have on my One X to store and transfer games to and from. Glad they're offering that as a solution, makes it so this SSD is needless so long as you have some patience.

Webbo

Nov 27, 2017
United Kingdom
It will be interesting to see if these come down in price overtime, like regular 'off the shelf' drives inevitably will that are compatible with PS5.