• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
www.hbomax.com

Max | The One to Watch

Say hello to Max, the streaming platform that bundles all of HBO together with even more of your favorite movies and TV series, plus new Max Originals.

Link.

HBO Max is set for a May 27 debut and the rush is on for WarnerMedia to get as many people on board as possible. With AT&T as its owner, that means giving away free access and extended free trials for its wireless, broadband, and TV customers. For the outsiders, though, they can get an introductory rate for their first year.

Those who sign up through May 27 at 11:59 p.m. PDT can subscribe for $12 a month through their first year — 20% off the regular rate. That discount takes Max from being $1 less than Netflix's Premium plan to $1 less than its Standard plan. Prospective viewers can redeem the offer on the HBO Max site.

If you pay for HBO Now through the Apple App Store, Google Play Store, to HBO directly, or with an HBO Now gift card, you'll be able to access HBO Max at no extra charge. Those who subscribe to HBO via AT&T, U-Verse, DIRECTV, Hulu, or Spectrum also get Max for free. Plus, some AT&T subscribers across its wireline and wireless businesses who don't already have HBO may get free access or extended free trials.

Edit -

Just a heads up, it seems like its 12 months starting the day you subscribe. I just signed up and it says I will be charged 14.99 on May 1 2021

Last edited:

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I just don't get why all these old media companies keep splintering services. Yes, I know if you have Now, you can access Max, but man, that's awkward.

Two apps?!

CBS does something similar with Showtime, CBS All-Acess, and Pluto.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't get why all these old media companies keep splintering services. Yes, I know if you have Now, you can access Max, but man, that's awkward.

Two apps?!

CBS does something similar with Showtime, CBS All-Acess, and Pluto.

Probably makes rolling out the new app easier, they won't be so rushed to hit everything when they already have something out there, for HBO anyway

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Not valid for existing HBO Now subscribers.

So go ahead and cancel Now, and subscribe under a new email if you want to save some cash.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
have they said anything about a free trial? I'm guessing there will be one but might have something like a "not available if you've previously subscribed to HBO Now/Go" disclaimer.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
I pay for HBO with Comcast. Guess I'm screwed. Just doesn't make sense.

Oct 25, 2017
I pay for HBO with Comcast. Guess I'm screwed. Just doesn't make sense.
Cancel HBO through Comcast and subscribe via the HBO Max website. That's what I did, but for Optimum. Not only is it $3 cheaper a month, I'll no longer have to give Optimum extra money and I'll ensure I get Max on day 1 (even though I don't think the last one is an issue for Comcast people).

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I pay for Now directly, no App Store or cable provider. Anyone knows the deal with that?

Neece

Oct 27, 2017
I have HBO Now. So I guess I have to cancel and create an account with a new email. Lame since all of my streaming services are under a specific email that I share with everyone in my house.

I wonder if I can create a Max account with a different email and then change it to my old email.

Shoes

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cancel HBO through Comcast and subscribe via the HBO Max website. That's what I did, but for Optimum. Not only is it $3 cheaper a month, I'll no longer have to give Optimum extra money and I'll ensure I get Max on day 1 (even though I don't think the last one is an issue for Comcast people).
I literally just did this. Only thing I'll miss out on is having the HBO channels as part of my channel guide, but that's it. I never really randomly turn on the channels anyways.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Netflix
Amazon
Hulu
Cbs
Criterion channel
HBO max
HBO go
Disney*
Apple
Peacock
... I'm sure I'm missing some
And yet still some wonder why passwords are shared lol

KatieKatsup

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Wait so if we already have Now we get Max? Thought it was a separate service, but would be great if it wasn't.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Just a heads up, it seems like its 12 months starting the day you subscribe. I just signed up and it says I will be charged 14.99 on May 1 2021

Shoes

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Netflix
Amazon
Hulu
Cbs
Criterion channel
HBO max
HBO go
Disney*
Apple
Peacock
I'll admit I was one of the naive ones pushing for less reliance on bloated cable channel packages and moving more towards a la carte subscriptions. I don't know why I didn't see something like this coming.

Operations

Oct 29, 2017
Wished they hurried and announce a deal with Amazon as well. HBO apps usually are buggy, specially during prime time hours (think GOT episodes). Amazon's HBO channel never suffered.

Last edited:

WaveBird

Oct 29, 2017
I just cancelled HBO Now last month and signed up for the Hulu + Disney+ + ESPN plan. If I do the HBO addon in Hulu I'm assuming that's the best way to go?

Deleted member 9330

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Netflix
Amazon
Hulu
Cbs
Criterion channel
HBO max
HBO go
Disney*
Apple
Peacock

You absolutely don't need all of those, definitely not all at one time. Sub and unsub whenever.

Also they all know passwords are being shared, that's why they offer profiles. It's all but encouraged

Jag

Oct 26, 2017

So basically watch it as a streaming service, rather than a cable service.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty tempted to jump in on this. I have a backlog of HBO shows to catch up on, and I'm assuming a lot of the Disney+ stuff (particularly the MCU stuff) is going to end up pushed back. I do still have a lot of Netflix stuff to finish but after that, nothing much. Plus, tons of movies.

Do we have a comprehensive list of what's going to be included in HBO Max? I think that might be the deciding factor, whether I go all-in or just grab a few months through the year.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
It's so dumb. And then there's DC-Universe.

WTF are you doing, AT&T?

You have to remember that DC Universe, VRV and HBO Now were services that were around before the AT&T and Time Warner merger. They're going to be eliminated eventually, WarnerMedia just needs to have the subscribers from those services convert over to HBO Max.

Shoes

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So basically watch it as a streaming service, rather than a cable service.
Nearly all HBO Now stuff goes live at the same time it would normally air on the channels themselves (Last Week Tonight is a notable exception that premieres at a different time, I think some of the "live studio audience" type stuff is most affected by this).

Vilifier

Oct 25, 2017
FYI that HBO Max isn't accepting HBO Now gift cards with this pre-order promotion. If you stocked up on gift cards before Max's launch date like I did; you can't apply them to your account until after the 1 year discount expires.

Mechashiva

Jan 7, 2018
I signed up. I've been doing hbo off an on since Watchmen. It's worth it quality wise and I have lots of good stuff to go back and catch. Plus Max has all the Aqua Teen stuff when it comes out right.

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't chomping at the bit for Max, but with the prospect of being locked inside for the rest of the year, this deal almost makes it an impulse purchase.

Oct 27, 2017
Wait...HBO Max is getting season 3 (and 4) of Search Party?! I was waiting for that for ages now! This was apparently announced months ago and I am just now finding out...guess I'll have to try it out.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Is there actually a list of what will be on HBO Max somewhere?
I can find links to some originals
and I know the HBO content will be there
ghbili movies, and big bang and friends and some other stuff. but I can't find much in the way of details of what else will be on there especially from stuff like cartoon network.