• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
I can't think of an industry where this is not only super prevalent... but how many people even genuinely pre-order literally anything else (DVDs? Books?) bar to get it right away?

Inspired by Scott the Woz's newest video, let's talk about and share some bonuses, such as ones we got that we liked, didn't like, or just were down right goofy or fun regardless.

My good examples absolutely have to be the GC's disc bonuses. My fav in particular being the Pokémon Colosseum bonus disc:

PokemonColusseumBonus_CUBE_BOX.jpg

This was a nifty thing that not only gave you a few trailers, including for Colosseum and the 6th movie; Jirachi Wish Maker. But it also had something exclusive to it in NA; the ability to get a Jirachi in the 3rd-gen games (well Ruby and Sapphire at the very least). In EU folks got Jirachi in Pokemon Channel instead.

Scott also brings up what may be one of the best ever ones; the Zelda bonus disc with Wind Waker:

Zelda-Ocarina-Master-Quest_CUBE_BOX.jpg

I didn't get Wind Waker (only rented it) so I never got the disc. But that's still one hell of a bonus.

And of course you get the silly "we still had swag we couldn't sell" ones like... Call of Duty socks (IIRC), or pictured and in the video, a FOOTBALL with Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag from Best Buy:

s-l1600.jpg

Then there's the digital-only bonuses. Stuff you're shit outta luck with if you go retail or got the digital version after launch. Obviously a way for publishers to bypass the retailer cut more easily.

Stuff like Daemon X Machina on Switch, which gave you:

Prototype Arsenal
Prototype Plugsuit
Metallic Plugsuit
ZAW-08SC Habakiri
HAW-R01C Grim Reaper
SAW-B17C Gillingr Impact
HAW-M01C Silver Raven
SAW-AM02C Thunderbird

I think the latter five were decals for the mechs. And the plugsuits were for your character to wear.

Another example was New Super Lucky's Tale for Switch which came with a spacesuit. I don't think this was even in the PS4 and XBO versions, but I could be wrong (one achievement pic on XBO showed the suit though).

Of course Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity as well with the Lucky Ladle, but they say it "may" be available at a later date as paid DLC, but KT (the dev here) do that with their own games and don't commonly deliver on that.

And who could forget Super Mario 3D All-Stars' pre-order bonus where if you don't order before March 31st, 2021, you don't even get to play the game digitally... ever! 🙃

What about you folks? Any other examples you want to share?

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
Bad :retailer exclusive unlocks.

Fun fact, but I never redeemed my voice pack code for odst. And I think I some how had extra gold weapon skins for Gears 2. I remember them selling for $$, but didn't want to deal with the headache.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
An ex-friend had given me his Soldier:76 bronze statue (which was included with the limited edition release of Overwatch at launch), but I eventually sold it to a collector.

I generally don't care for pre-order bonuses, mostly because it's fluff at best and I only care about playing the game.

FooF

One Winged Slayer
Mar 24, 2020
over here in the uk Nintendo gave a microfiber cloth as a pre order with the games box art on it which I have like 3 of now and I don't really know what to do with them. From what I remember they did this with links awakening and a couple other games.

Also fuck devs/publishers who don't eventually put the pre order DLC on sale even when the game is years old.

Last edited:

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
I think the latter five were decals for the mechs. And the plugsuits were for your character to wear.
The latter 5 are guns (exclusive metallic versions of them). The Prototype Arsenal and Plugsuit got released later as DLC but the metallic stuff (plugsuit and guns) didn't which is really dumb.

I really hated the era of retailer exclusive DLCs. Especially when they put it on the fucking COVER ART

62b6d94c-a81f-462c-9e62-e47d58cafe32_1.25ef41245f2fa2fbbc5ed04bc56820de.jpeg
91tTxOC4U6L._SX522_.jpg

915ediFg5kL._SL1500_.jpg

I always really liked the Pokemon pre-order figures from GameStop:
limited-edition-pokemon-platinum_1_ecea286ad22b66be98d0f3fc5dd0544c.jpg

Deleted member 34873

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
User Banned 3 days: admitting/excusing piracy
If you have a preorder DLC that is something substantive (a costume or something more), I will probably be pirating your game at some point. Sorry devs but at least give me the option to buy Ryza's summer costume separately now that it's been literal years since the game's release.

OP
OP
Hero of Legend
Oct 26, 2017
The latter 5 are guns (exclusive metallic versions of them). The Prototype Arsenal and Plugsuit got released later as DLC but the rest didn't which is really dumb.

Ooooh right. I got the list off of my digital receipt.

I really hated the era of retailer exclusive DLCS. Especially when they put it on the fucking COVER ART

91tTxOC4U6L._SX522_.jpg

915ediFg5kL._SL1500_.jpg

They had the decency to include every one of those in the remaster IIRC, including on Switch. Same with Black Flag, even the Sony-exclusive content.

OP
OP
Hero of Legend
Oct 26, 2017
If you have a preorder DLC that is something substantive (a costume or something more), I will probably be pirating your game at some point. Sorry devs but at least give me the option to buy Ryza's summer costume separately now that it's been literal years since the game's release.
That outfit, at least on Switch, was a free download briefly, no purchase required. It was another outfit I think?

AFI-kun

Oct 31, 2017
but how many people even genuinely pre-order literally anything else (DVDs? Books?) bar to get it right away?

I pre-order manga to signify interest in the title to the local bookstore chain and besides they usually wouldn't carry the titles I pick up so it's a good way of making sure. Bigger book releases also hold pre-order events, usually with freebies like shirts or book signing events.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
i'm about to go take a shit

any of you need tips and/or tricks for Star Fox Adventures for the Nintendo GameCube before I cover the tips with my shit?

e1j4eerq0zm21.jpg

DLQQZYxX0AAJluU

pre-order Star Fox Adventures at your local Circuit City today and you too could be wiping your ass with these tips

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
i'm about to go take a shit

any of you need tips and/or tricks for Star Fox Adventures for the Nintendo GameCube before I cover the tips with my shit?

e1j4eerq0zm21.jpg

DLQQZYxX0AAJluU

pre-order Star Fox Adventures at your local Circuit City today and you too could be wiping your ass with these tips

Is one of the tips "Don't play Starfox Adventures"?

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Pokemon Colosseum bonus disc was the bane of my existence back in the day, I just wanted a damn Jirachi, so it was like the rarest thing ever to me at the time as a kid

Feb 24, 2018
I personally would like what pre-order bonuses have become to go away, I'm still baffled pre-order bonuses for season passes and the like are things now. Even if it meant more deluxe edition nonsense and "edition upgrade" for those who bought the standard (like with Jedi: Fallen Order) that'd be better for me because then everyone can access it later.

The problem is simple more and more (especially for online games), their just not worth it at launch, hell how many times on this very forum have people said "Wait a few months" which is good advice because so many online and Gaas games now are buggy, lacking in content etc at launch?

Problem is, the pre-order bonuses (and a big F*** you to fighting games who put entire characters behind pre-orders) are counter to this, it encourages FOMO and rash decisions and only way to get rid of them is for people to be able to wait (and yeah that's easier said then done), something I hope is the one good thing that could come with the price increase of next-gen games at least in Europe.

That and I just find it baffling to see content perma blocked for no real reason years later because what, you didn't buy the game at launch? Like when I got Battlefront 2 on PSN+ and I saw that Last Jedi Rey and Kylo were perma locked, like so no one ever going to use those again, even in re-releases, years from now, remasters? At least Ubisoft allows you to just by the pre-order stuff later on and that one's just odd to me given EA didn't do that with the Orange Lightsaber pre-order bonus in Fallen Order (and for free) despite that game being even bigger.
The latter 5 are guns (exclusive metallic versions of them). The Prototype Arsenal and Plugsuit got released later as DLC but the metallic stuff (plugsuit and guns) didn't which is really dumb.

I really hated the era of retailer exclusive DLCs. Especially when they put it on the fucking COVER ART

91tTxOC4U6L._SX522_.jpg

915ediFg5kL._SL1500_.jpg

WB games was the worse for that because not only did you have the store exclusive missions like Penguin stealth missions and stuff, BUT THEN you had the pre-order bonus of Robin, THEN you have the deluxe special edition content bonuses AND THEN you had the online pass that you needed to play the Catwoman sections despite the game having no online features just to make some more money (a reminder the online pass was pretty much a scam that WB games made clear with that and online pass died soon after).