• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
Not trying to sneer at a free game, but isn't it kinda weird that the other game isn't playable until The Division's release date? Usually an offer like this is to "ease the suffering" of waiting. If I pre-order I'm not going to want to play any of those on March 15th.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
Always kinda had wild lands in my peripheral vision. No interest in wd2 and already have primal. Good deal ubi.

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
Not trying to sneer at a free game, but isn't it kinda weird that the other game isn't playable until The Division's release date? Usually an offer like this is to "ease the suffering" of waiting. If I pre-order I'm not going to want to play any of those on March 15th.

"If you cancel your preorder of Tom Clancy's The Division® 2 Ubisoft will remove the free game from your Uplay game library"

Because it seems like it wouldn't actually prevent anybody from preordering it to play one of those game for free? Like if you got the game now, you could play it until The Division 2 releases and then cancel the preorder. That's more than enough time to beat one of those games.

OP
OP
floridaguy954

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
Another poster had a good explanation for this.

It's basically to prevent people from pre-ordering, beating one of the three games, then cancelling their pre-order before TD2 releases.

It makes sense from a business perspective (anyways, I have Tales of Vesperia Definitive Edition and REmake 2 to fill in the time).

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
Yes, but actions speak louder than words. Why suddenly create this promotion but to drive more sales?
Why wouldn't they want to drive more sales? "Naaah, let's not sell more copies. This is quite enough for us." Would that make any sense to you? They've been selling these games they are giving away with price as low as 10 bucks. If they can use these to attract people to buy their upcoming full priced game, or better yet some of the special editions, it's huge win for them. Much bigger than just selling these games on their own. Also it gives them good-will among many gamers. It's seen as fair and generous, even though it's just business (consumer friendly business).

Last edited:

Muad'dib

Banned
Jun 7, 2018
Would rather they offer Ghost Recon GRAW 1 and 2, certain puts Wildlands to shame. Would bite for WD2 nonetheless.

Oct 28, 2017
"If you cancel your preorder of Tom Clancy's The Division® 2 Ubisoft will remove the free game from your Uplay game library"

Because it seems like it wouldn't actually prevent anybody from preordering it to play one of those game for free? Like if you got the game now, you could play it until The Division 2 releases and then cancel the preorder. That's more than enough time to beat one of those games.
Wow, there's still a little naivety left in these bones of mine. I... never even considered the idea. I was genuinely baffled. Thanks!

Akelisrain

Oct 30, 2017
Bel Air MD
Why wouldn't they want to drive more sales? "Naaah, let's not sell more copies. This is quite enough for us." Would that make any sense to you? They've been selling these games they are giving away with price as low as 10 bucks. If they can use these to attract people to buy their upcoming full priced game, or better yet some of the special editions, it's huge win for them. Much bigger than just selling these games on their own. Also it gives them good-will among many gamers. It's seen as fair and generous, even though it's just business (consumer friendly business).
You definitely have a great point, I was just thinking. If they are getting great pre-orders numbers,why the need to entice with free gifts. But your good will point makes it easier understand I guess.

Desuteq

Oct 27, 2017
California, United States
Claimed me a copy of Ghost Recon Wildlands as I'd been wanting to play it for a while but kept forgetting to look for it during sales, already owned Watch_Dogs 2 and while the game looked like it COULD be fun I wasn't too interested in Far Cry Primal.
So thanks for the heads up!

Valdega

Banned
Sep 7, 2018
According to this thread, pre-orders on PC are doing very well.

Guillemot said that PC pre-orders are higher than they were for the first game (which makes sense because this is a sequel). However, it's also entirely possible that pre-orders for the first game weren't good at all and that the game received most of its sales post-launch. As such, Division 2 pre-orders may technically be higher but still not high enough, hence the need to throw a free game into the deal.

unknown.png

This is the message someone on discord/Reddit got. Perhaps they'll be giving out something else?

Probably a 25% off coupon. I was going to suggest a free season pass but the season pass costs more than any of the free games being offered.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
Already got Watch Dogs 2. Not touching Far Cry again. Tried the demo of Wildlands so I'd probably pick that.

Thought it'd be cheaper to just buy codes from somewhere but it would actually work out cheaper to get it from Ubisoft. Can get Division 2 for £34. So I'd be paying £16 for Wildlands...not really worth it. I'll just get a code for £34.

yellow wallpaper

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Don't sleep on wildlands. I really liked that game, but only from a gameplay perspective.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like a great deal, but The Division 2 is not my cup of tea. I want WD2 but I'll wait for a better deal on PSN to get it. Laughable that people are pulling some wack narrative over this from out of the thin air, but then again, this is just proof of that whole "console warrior" deal. They ought to be thankful for Epic's store being a thing, since it seems to occupy their every waking moment.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
I was able to use 20% off code on Uplay. I thought it doesn't work on pre-orders. I paid 48€ + free game, cool.

Which one do you recommend? Far Cry Primal doesn't interest me very much.
I need details please. I was going to do this but saw it didn't work for pre order, so I saved the uplay points.

Ferdie

Jul 16, 2018
I need details please. I was going to do this but saw it didn't work for pre order, so I saved the uplay points.
I just copied the discount code in Uplay client at checkout and it worked first try. I actually used a different code when I bought first Division on sale (about a week before this).

Maybe there are differences based on region. I'm in EU.

Sterba

Oct 25, 2017
Don't sleep on wildlands. I really liked that game, but only from a gameplay perspective.

Really torn between it and Watch Dogs 2. Absolutely loved WD2 on console. Played Wildlands beta and wasn't in love with it, but have wanted to give it a fair shake.

I just copied the discount code in Uplay client at checkout and it worked first try. I actually used a different code when I bought first Division on sale (about a week before this).

Maybe there are differences based on region. I'm in EU.

Only works outside US.

yellow wallpaper

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Really torn between it and Watch Dogs 2. Absolutely loved WD2 on console. Played Wildlands beta and wasn't in love with it, but have wanted to give it a fair shake.

Only works outside US.
You should be able to try wildlands(full game) for 5hrs on uplay. More than enough time to decide if you like it.

Heazy

IT Tech
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
London, UK
It's hard to gauge what this extra gift could be, given that I own all three other games.

Do I buy the standard on uplay for £40 or £32 at CDkeys

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
You definitely have a great point, I was just thinking. If they are getting great pre-orders numbers,why the need to entice with free gifts. But your good will point makes it easier understand I guess.

Getting great pre-order numbers means this could be a good way to introduce Division fans to other Ubi franchises with cheap, older titles, in the hope that they like them, and buy the latest installments.

Dec 3, 2018
Bumping this as I just got the email and now i have to choose between the three. Never played any of them. Torn between WD2 and GRW

Pakesaker

Oct 25, 2017
Omaha, NE
Anybody who already had all three games get an email yet? I already had all three and I'm curious what they are going to give us.