• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

(Footage captured on PS5)

• 60fps at max settings on PS5
  • 30fps On PS4
  • DualSense support on PS5
  • Free upgrade available

As a small team of three Chien was already focused on PS4 and had implemented a number of optimizations over a series of months that got us running at a solid 30fps on PS4. It looks great on PS4 and runs well, but on PS5 the game is truly amazing. 60fps right out of the gates, at max graphical settings, full shadows, high res textures it is awesome. Load times are dramatically reduced — it runs like a dream on PS5.

Of course, our next thought was DualSense. We had played a couple demos from Sony showing how immersive it could be. Our minds were blown; DualSense is such a big deal. Feeling your bow draw back and the resistance match on the controller's adaptive triggers is so visceral. Feeling your feet crunch through deep snow, the tug of your sail cloth popping open as you leap into the air, or feeling the wind blow — all of these impacts are felt in your hands as you control your character. It's so satisfying and incredibly immersive. For a game like ours, it brings so many details of our world to life and makes interactions that much more compelling. We're still digging into the DualSense controller and will continue to tune it as we polish the game for our launch.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Holy shit, that looks awesome. Shadow of the Colossus meets Breath of the Wild.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Sure, why not? That looks like a pretty cool mashup of other game idea, and I don't mean that as a knock against it. I'm also really digging the monster designs.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Glad to see it finally come out.

What's a word that describes more than spiritual successor but you don't want to say clone?

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
Praey for the Gods is coming to both the PS5 and PS4 in Q1 2021.

A boss climbing action-adventure game set in an atmospheric open world. You play as a lone hero sent to the edge of a dying frozen world to discover the mystery behind a never-ending winter. Arriving with only the clothes on your back, you must survive the colossal dangers that you encounter. To restore balance and reclaim the land from the brink, you will be faced with questions that not even a God knows the answer to.
All footage captured on PS5.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
I've been excited for this because of the very direct SoTC influence, but then again I was excited for RiME and Vane because of their influences.

Hope it turns out great.

DualEdge

Jun 11, 2018
Okay this is creepy. I was literally listening to the SotC soundtrack and then popped onto this page. Game definitely has my attention though.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It used to be called Prey to the Gods but they got a C&D from Zenimax (because of Prey) so they changed it.

How is this even a thing. Especially when the word is only used as part of a longer completely different sentence. Just seems absurd a C&D can be sent for this sort of thing, likewise with God's and Monsters.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Totally forgot about this.

Seems it changed A LOT visually from what I remember years ago.

Totally Snow of the Colossus

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
DualSense support is great. If this is as good as everyone is saying it is, it could turn into a seller in its own right.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Wow.....out of nowhere. And looks pretty good!

This has been on Early Access on Steam for a year.

store.steampowered.com

Praey for the Gods on Steam

Praey for the Gods is a boss climbing open world adventure game where you play a lone hero sent to the edge of a dying frozen land to explore and solve the secrets of a never ending winter. Grapple, glide and grab hold of massive beasts as you fight to survive and return the world to proper order.

Reviews:
www.rockpapershotgun.com

Praey For The Gods review (early access)

Praey For The God's developers have a keener understanding than most of what made their favourite games work so well.
www.polygon.com

Praey for the Gods, a spiritual successor to Shadow of the Colossus, has us hooked

The early access title already has plenty of polish

Impressions seem to be good so far.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Replayed the remake just the other day so I'm definitely excited for a spiritual successor

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
How is this even a thing. Especially when the word is only used as part of a longer completely different sentence. Just seems absurd a C&D can be sent for this sort of thing, likewise with God's and Monsters.

Meh, you've got to protect your IP or you lose it. It sucks but that's how things work. Things set precedent and then someone comes along with a game called Prey Too and you can't do anything about it because there are multiple other Prey games around. It is what it is.

They (Praey For The Gods) had the name for years at this point anyway so it's not like it's troubled their launch. I think this name change happened in 2017? Very early into development.

Bethesda said of the dispute:

"We really didn't have much of a choice. If we don't oppose the mark, we risk losing our Prey trademark and that isn't acceptable. Unfortunately, that's how trademark law works."

A Bethesda representative tells IGN that they first reached out to No Matter Studios as early as November 2015 regarding this, before Prey for the Gods' Kickstarter campaign began, and "multiple times" since then.

These things happen all the time and will always happen.

HanSoloCup

Oct 27, 2017
Richmond, VA
Been waiting for this one for a while! It's still stupid that they had to change their name due to Prey. There was no consumer confusion. Anyways, this looks way better than I ever thought they would get with such a small team. Nice work!

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
It used to be called Prey to the Gods but they got a C&D from Zenimax (because of Prey) so they changed it.

Which is surprising because this game was okay.
A2OE.png

(Back in 2008, but still)

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A C&D can be sent for damn near anything. It's unlikely it would hold up in court, but that's what a big corporation is banking on; that the smaller company will make the necessary changes rather than deem it worthy to spend the time and money to fight it in court.

GestaltGaz

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know, seems very close to SOTC is somebody getting sued for this? I mean I love the original but this looks very similar.

Ossom

Oct 31, 2017
They could try and dispute it, however that would take time and cost money. Sometimes it's easier to just change the name than get into protracted legal proceedings.

When protecting a trademark it is important to be seen to be actively protecting your rights and challenging similar usage. My understanding is that if you are shown to knowingly let others use the same or similar terms it can dilute the value of the trademark and potentially have it fall into common usage and invalidate it completely. Therefore it isn't always a challenge on the specific usage, but simply trying to protect and ensure the value in the trademark.