• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moomoo14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I seriously wonder how that got released. Like, that is so on the nose it's crazy. Like, what?!

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
It just looks like a cartoon monkey. Like seriously. First thought was a ripoff of the Paul Frank monkey I saw growing up tbh. They're totally not people, they're naked, long arms, short torsos and legs, and really don't resemble humans at all.

Can totally see how it could be insensitive and taken as an offence, but can also see how it's just a stupid monkey for a stupid clothing brand.

not so fun fact: african americans used to be portrayed as cartoon monkeys. That's why it's racist.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's literally a stupid monkey design. FFS. It can be totally taken as a racist design, and rightfully so. But goddamn, it's missing like 90% of what would be Sampo. But as a non-black person, it's not my place to decide what constitutes a racist design or not.
Unless you're an idiot it's pretty clear that this it is racist. I mean it doesn't take a white dude to figure it out

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I am sure in their marketing they pride themselves on being on the forefront of fashion and culture, but folks will defend them like their are some mom and pop shop hidden away from the modern world. Saying ignornance and not malicous, but some ignorance is malicious

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's literally a stupid monkey design. FFS. It can be totally taken as a racist design, and rightfully so. But goddamn, it's missing like 90% of what would be Sampo. But as a non-black person, it's not my place to decide what constitutes a racist design or not.
Unless you're an idiot it's pretty clear that this it is racist. I mean it doesn't take a white dude to figure it out

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
U sure?

Because it's tone deaf, and speaks to a lack of understanding of these issues. If you had 3 black people near by, you could just gauge their looks to see this was bad taste.

If it's a rip off like the gymnastics are suggesting, they would have mentioned as much. But their design is closer to historic shit, than it is the clear as day cartoon monkey.
The design isn't close to historic shit, it's a cartoon depicted animal gone horribly wrong.
NCQ5ATHZENGX5GXOC4RUHKBV44.jpg
There's other color variations, and even featured in the OP image set is an all chrome one. Like I've said- I can totally see how it got this far, and can totally see how one could take it as an offense. I'm sure if Prada had pulled the red color specifically and left the green and chrome and whatever else this wouldn't have raised an eyebrow. But, mostly to blame on a culturally out of touch company, with probably a culturally lacking team going up.
Then why are you defending them?
Bored on a Sunday night whilst I wait for laundry, why else do we post on forums.

The best thing to come out of this, is that proceeds made on these $500 freaking charms is going to a NY organization* for racial justice

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Prada doesn't see race, and even if they did, that art-deco sock-monkey motif is just too hot to pass up. Are you all fashion philistines? Some things are more important than race. Looking good and being expensive are two of those things.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
Wow, that's... pretty blatant. I came in expecting something a bit iffy but there's nothing subtle about this at all and very disappointing to see. I'm glad the product was removed but it really shouldn't have launched in the first place, why did nobody at Prada notice beforehand?

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
The design isn't close to historic shit, it's a cartoon depicted animal gone horribly wrong.
There's other color variations, and even featured in the OP image set is an all chrome one. Like I've said- I can totally see how it got this far, and can totally see how one could take it as an offense. I'm sure if Prada had pulled the red color specifically and left the green and chrome and whatever else this wouldn't have raised an eyebrow. But, mostly to blame on a culturally out of touch company, with probably a culturally lacking team going up.

Bored on a Sunday night whilst I wait for laundry, why else do we post on forums.

The best thing to come out of this, is that proceeds made on these $500 freaking charms is going to a NY organization* for racial justice

In your eyes, it's not even close. In reality, it's offensive. Which is why they are killing it. The paul Mitchell thing is something you've also made up as an excuse, to defend racism.

Good luck defending racism on a Sunday.

Must be nice, but you already know that I'm sure.

Enjoy!

It's crazy how the most vocal racist defenses are always from people who pretend they don't really care.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
I believe this to be simply an unfortunate coincidence, honestly. I say that based on a search of what the other toys in this line look like. They were going for off-the-wall oddball designs, and this one in particular was singled out. The "brown skin" and large red lips don't pair well at all, but once we isolate those elements:
  • The "brown skin" appears to be the natural color of the wood they're using, with varnish applied. This same wood can be seen used on the bases of both the top right and bottom left dolls of the image below.
  • Glossy lipstick and full lips are a consistent beauty standard, so a fashion company pushing those to the forefront in even toys does not strike me as surprising.
Still a bad look, of course, so I understand why they pulled them. I just don't believe there to have been malice inherent to this design in particular.

BurntFoot

Banned
Apr 10, 2018
User Banned (1 week): Inflammatory comments, accumulated infractions
Neopolitan is a suspected white supremacist. There, I said it.

17 Seconds

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

why do you choose to act so ignorantly? it is a very specific look that they captured here. if you weren't aware of it, then fine. take the loss and move on. but people are trying to educate you by showing you what you're looking at, and you refuse to see it.

BloodHound

Oct 27, 2017

Is this really the hill you want to die on?

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
I believe this to be simply an unfortunate coincidence, honestly. I say that based on a search of what the other toys in this line look like. They were going for off-the-wall oddball designs, and this one in particular was singled out. The "brown skin" and large red lips don't pair well at all, but once we isolate those elements:
  • The "brown skin" appears to be the natural color of the wood they're using, with varnish applied. This same wood can be seen used on the bases of both the top right and bottom left dolls of the image below.
  • Glossy lipstick and full lips are a consistent beauty standard, so a fashion company pushing those to the forefront in even toys does not strike me as surprising.
Even if it wasn't intentional there is still no excuse for it not being caught.

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Defending racism is how you alleviate boredom???
In your eyes, it's not even close. In reality, it's offensive. Which is why they are killing it. The paul Mitchell thing is something you've also made up as an excuse, to defend racism.

Good luck defending racism on a Sunday.

Must be nice, but you already know that I'm sure.

Enjoy!
I'm not defending racism. Since this is former GAF/Era, I'm sure you can dig through my post history and find that I have been very pro-racial justice, and support causes like BLM and have a firm stance against racism.

If I was defending it I wouldn't be saying how I see how it could be interpreted as racist, and how it was rightfully pulled. My words.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
Your company has issues if nobody thought this could be racist until after the backlash.

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They sell these keychains for $500+ This wasn't done on purpose. It's done out of ignorance. Maybe losing money will make them consider a different process but these aren't artists considering greater context of their work, they're making accessories that "look cute".

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Neopolitan is a suspected white supremacist. There, I said it.
Excuse me? I've disowned friends entirely because they won't stop saying the N-word, and not the hard R either. I've had friends disown me because I post anti-cop/proBLM stuff on my facebook feed. I've donated to families with members killed by cops on my shitty $16/hr wage. I've quit watching creator's content I used to love because of their shit tier views. I donate to BLM whenever I get the chance to, sure, it's not the $10/month I put to the Sierra Club, but I do my part. Fuck off, and don't you ever call me that again.

BurntFoot

Banned
Apr 10, 2018
Excuse me? I've disowned friends entirely because they won't stop saying the N-word, and not the hard R either. I've donated to families with members killed by cops on my shitty $16/hr wage. I've quit watching creator's content I used to love because of their shit tier views. I donate to BLM whenever I get the chance to, sure, it's not the $10/month I put to the Sierra Club, but I do my part. Fuck off, and don't you ever call me that again.
The "I have a black friend" routine doesn't work with me.

You chose to defend racism in this thread. Man up and face the consequences of your actions.

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
Quick tip for when the inevitable I'm European and over here racism doesn't exist or it's just words blah blah blah bullshit pops up in this thread or any other.

Those fuckers are lying so treat them as the liars they are.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to figure out if I'm more puzzled by the fact that this shit keeps on happening with companies and they are so surprised when people call them out, or if I'm more puzzled by the people who turn up to say IT'S TOTALLY NOT RACIST OMG WHAT AN OVERREACTION P.S. I'M NOT IMPACTED and I legit cannot decide. I choose to just say "this is some fuckery all around and a whole lot of people should be goddamned ashamed."

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
User banned (2 weeks): dismissing racism and blackface over a series of posts and insulting other users
The "I have a black friend" routine doesn't work with me.

You chose to defend racism in this thread. Man up and face the consequences if your actions.
This isn't the "I have a black friend" dickhead. I do my part, and I don't do it because I expect anything in return, I don't donate and ask for praise. I don't even ever talk about the fact that I do. I do it because it's the right thing to do in this fucked up country I live in. But because I think a stupid monkey design, which was RIGHTFULLY pulled, is stupid you're gonna accuse me of being racist. You know what man, fuck off.

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not defending racism. Since this is former GAF/Era, I'm sure you can dig through my post history and find that I have been very pro-racial justice, and support causes like BLM and have a firm stance against racism.

If I was defending it I wouldn't be saying how I see how it could be interpreted as racist, and how it was rightfully pulled. My words.

Ok fine, you're not defending racism.

But can you admit that coming in here saying "It's just a cartoon monkey." was a really dumb thing to do?

BurntFoot

Banned
Apr 10, 2018
This isn't the "I have a black friend" dickhead. I do my part, and I don't do it because I expect anything in return, I don't donate and ask for praise. I don't even ever talk about the fact that I do. I do it because it's the right thing to do in this fucked up country I live in. But because I think a stupid monkey design, which was RIGHTFULLY pulled, is stupid you're gonna accuse me of being racist. You know what man, fuck off.
This is about black folks, stop trying to center your emotions here. You got called out for defending racism. Your refusal to learn from this provides evidence for my initial assertion. Stay woke.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
You should probably settle down and take a hot second to realize that even people with the best intentions can easily fuck up and say some racist shit because we are embedded in a racist society and have racism preached to us all the time. Y'know, instead of taking it personally and bowing up while refusing to listen and grow when comments created consequences.

If you can't listen to actually impacted people... you're not doing all that you think you are. Hard truth. Calm down.

Wetwork

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado
Ok fine, you're not defending racism.

But can you admit that coming in here saying "It's just a cartoon monkey." was a really dumb thing to do?
I even acknowledged in my post how it could be taken as offensive right off the bat. Intentionally offensive, maybe not. Contextually offensive? Totally and rightfully.
This is about black folks, stop trying to center your emotions here. You got called out for defending racism. Your refusal to learn from this provides evidence for my initial assertion. Stay woke.
Your refusal to read what I'm posting is blatant. Especially with the taken into the fact, that from the very beginning I've asserted how the stupid looking charm could be taken as offensive given the historical context, especially the red coloration.

But don't you ever call me a white supremacist again.

You should probably settle down and take a hot second to realize that even people with the best intentions can easily fuck up and say some racist shit because we are embedded in a racist society and have racism preached to us all the time. Y'know, instead of taking it personally and bowing up while refusing to listen and grow when comments created consequences.

If you can't listen to actually impacted people... you're not doing all that you think you are. Hard truth. Calm down.
I'm not keen on being called a white supremacist when I never back down from getting in someone's face who's spouting off racist shit. Even if it's my own goddamn family threating to put me out cold. Fuck that got me heated

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
Dude, why is it so important for you to a) be right and b) defend this company, especially when you said you don't want to defend them?

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
They sell these keychains for $500+ This wasn't done on purpose. It's done out of ignorance. Maybe losing money will make them consider a different process but these aren't artists considering greater context of their work, they're making accessories that "look cute".
The same convo pops up every time a company does something like this. I don't think most people think the boardroom of Prada is a Klan meeting, but to have this go from design concept alllll the way to being stocked in stores without anyone either complaining or anyone seeing those complaints and thinking "yeah maybe we can hold off on the red lips" is also a problem.

BurntFoot

Banned
Apr 10, 2018
I even acknowledged in my post how it could be taken as offensive right off the bat. Intentionally offensive, maybe not. Contextually offensive? Totally and rightfully.

Your refusal to read what I'm posting is blatant. Especially with the taken into the fact, that from the very beginning I've asserted how the stupid looking charm could be taken as offensive given the historical context, especially the red coloration.

But don't you ever call me a white supremacist again.
Your arrogance is incredible. I called you a suspected one by the way, big difference.

Your refusal to clearly denounce racism speaks volumes.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I'd like to believe it was't intentional. But even if it wasn't intentional, you can't tell me that literally no one from concept to production noticed what it looked like? Not one person?

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just another white dude swinging by to explain how some racist thing isn't racist to the targets of racism.

Status
Not open for further replies.