• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
There are cosmetic armors that you can unlock from playing the game itself. They aren't all paid.

That would probably be the per-character battle pass outfits, yes. They can technically be obtained by playing the game. A lot. Or bought.

Edit: And some from rewards for story missions, yes. But all of that is not the same as finding cool shit via loot.

Vagabond

Oct 26, 2017
United States
I'm still so confused on what this game is supposed to be. Guess I'll have to play the extended demo, but the messaging seems to be inefficient in making me interested and knowledgeable.

Mandalorian

Alt account
Banned
Jun 18, 2020
UXybTXn.gif

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
There are plenty of people who do just want the numbers to go up (me) I don't give a flying fuck what my characters look like in diablo / destiny / nioh / WoW anything.

I like bigger numbers and unique builds caused by having item XYZ shit like that.
100% agree. It's all about what you can do and possibilities for me, not playing dressing up.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really miss Marvel Heroes Omega. ☹️
This sounds good too though.

AllBizness

Banned
Mar 22, 2020
Still my main issue is that the fear does not change appearances. It's is such a major draw back. Crystal dynamics said that it thinks fans would not like to have that in the game (from a recent ign video). Look chasing for a higher gear score is good but also chasing for a good look is important also.
Seriously doubt Marvel will allow us to alter the physical appearance of their characters with visible loot gear. If the game does its job and properly immerse the players this won't be a problem IMO.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Pretty sure we already saw the cosmetic armor changes are paid. I'd love to be proven wrong though.
They give you skin in various way, some are unlocked by just playing the story, some are unlock by collecting some blueprints if I remember it right, and some are premium skin that you buy with real money. Not sure if you get credits that can buy premium skin by playing the game

Amibguous Cad

Oct 25, 2017
People keep bringing this up but I don't think it's that big of a deal. As someone who loves loot games, loot not affecting how I look doesn't really bother me at all. For a long time in Destiny 1/Destiny 2 if you wore the top tier loot then you're kind of forced to look a certain way. It limits how you could look and everyone at endgame would be wearing the same high level armor set. Then they implemented armor ornaments which helped with that.

Honestly, tacking on loot onto these characters would probably look like shit anyways. It's been brought up earlier in the thread, but what would you do with Hulk's loot if it was visible on him? Wouldn't even make sense.

Yeah, not to mention that the vast majority of these games feature transmog, too. You're mostly chasing cosmetics and power separately. So as long as these games have different versions of the costumes you can earn through high-level gameplay (and come on, it's a comic book game, they have plenty of costume variants to work with), it's not going to be very different from Destiny anyway.

OP
OP
Ploid 6.0

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Now that I understand that this game is not God of War but Destiny, I am out
Oh boy, yeah, the only thing it'll have in common is third person and God of War's combat designer, Vince Napoli, working on it.

I wouldn't get this for a GOW PS4 itch. Maybe Ghost is kind of close to GOW? Well combat + upgrade system, it's not as flashy with super abilities like Kratos though.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, the majority of players for an IP like this probably care more about iconic costumes and unlocking them/having their heroes in those versus having loot change their look.

OP
OP
Ploid 6.0

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Destiny people, how is Destiny gear? I got a lot of legendary weapons from Twitch, but I forgot how the stats looked. There's attributes, one more than shown here. What does the attributes do? I saw perks on weapons, are there also perks on all other item slots?

Going to google to try to find an answer to compare. I do want to know the details, as I thought Destiny gear seemed a bit plain on the surface when I looked into it before. It seemed to be all about the light level (Destiny 1) near launch. I played Destiny 2 (because of Twitch drops mostly), but I didn't get leveled up, and it's first person.

4gPajtI.jpg

SbDyjnH.png

www.light.gg

Helm of Righteousness - Destiny 2 Legendary Helmet - Possible Rolls - light.gg

Full stats and details for Helm of Righteousness, a Helmet in Destiny 2.

Last edited:

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone wanting a good loot system should be taking a look at Diablo 3. Anthem should have done the same.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
What's the point of all these stats if you're gonna be just equiping stuff that raises your Power Level the most.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
looks a bit overwhelming compared to destiny. Not sure what I want to focus building my character on.

OP
OP
Ploid 6.0

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone wanting a good loot system should be taking a look at Diablo 3. Anthem should have done the same.
Diablo 3 still have problems though. It got screwed by the base game. Int, Str, and Dex being primary damage attributes and the weapon contributing to so much of your damage. I haven't played a season in over a year, but loot was all about gear sets. I remember when I first saw the LON ring sets that allowed you to gear outside of armor and weapon sets, but it still felt weaker than going for full gear sets.

kqIw7aN.png

I'm looking forward to Path of Exile 2 when we no longer have to depend on gear holding our linked gems. I would have horrible stats on a body armor but think it was ok because it's the only 6 link I have. Anything below 5 or 6 link wasn't worth messing with.

zon

Oct 28, 2017
Is there any good source of info about what they've planned for the game? This is the first time I've really paid the game any notice and I'd like to know more. If the gameplay is good I'd give it a go.

Oct 27, 2017
  • Might = Melee damage
  • Precision = Ranged damage
  • Proficiency = Crit and perk chance
  • Valor = Heroic effectiveness and crit damage
  • Resolve = Max health and health recovery effectiveness
  • Resilience = Armour
  • Intensity = Stun and status meter damage + status resist

Melee damage, range damage, crit %, crit dmg, health, regen, armor, status effect, status resist.

The article claiming that this isn't like Division, but even Division has more different stats as the base stats (not counting unique stats and effects).

Edit: from the Destiny screenshot, Avengers has one extra base-stat over it. Diablo has a similar number of attributes. What is the distinction?

OP
OP
Ploid 6.0

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
What's the point of all these stats if you're gonna be just equiping stuff that raises your Power Level the most.
I really hope power level isn't so dominant on the damage you do to enemies. I plan to be a total ranged Hawkguy, crits all over the place. I hope the game eventually have a type of over crit too, a tier above just normal critical hit (brutal, red crits, but that's for far down the road I'm sure).

GreyHand23

Apr 10, 2018
Another thing to keep in mind is that while the current Destiny has alot of stats, they don't really make that much difference in playstyle or change character much. The weapons, subclasses, and exotics are the real differentiators.

Mandalorian

Alt account
Banned
Jun 18, 2020
It's not competing with Destiny at all because Destiny is a first person shooter and this is a 3rd person action rpg.
Yep. Avengers is the first 3rd person superhero GaaS, similar to what supposedly the Rocksteady's Suicide Squad game is aiming for. It's a cross of Marvel Heroes / Marvel Ultimate Alliance with Destiny, with an AAA flair. This has the potential of becoming the biggest GaaS in the market, and I'm starting to believe CD will pull it off.

GreyHand23

Apr 10, 2018

Power level is a bit misleading. The power level just dictates what range of stats a piece of gear can have. It's definitely possible to have a better performing set of gear and yet be a lower overall power level. For example, one of the press that actually played the beta for 20 hours got a legendary guantlet for Iron Man that increased melee damage by over 50%. Getting a higher power level gauntlet wouldn't necessarily be better than that 50% melee damage gauntlet especially if you were building your Iron Man to be really good with melee attacks.

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
I really hope power level isn't so dominant on the damage you do to enemies. I plan to be a total ranged Hawkguy, crits all over the place. I hope the game eventually have a type of over crit too, a tier above just normal critical hit (brutal, red crits, but that's for far down the road I'm sure).

I hope Hawkeye will be truly ranged character. I'm worried they will made him close-quaters + ranged. Like Iron Man - he has some strong ranged abilities, but it seems it's often more convinient to land and beat enemies up.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
Diablo 3 still have problems though. It got screwed by the base game. Int, Str, and Dex being primary damage attributes and the weapon contributing to so much of your damage. I haven't played a season in over a year, but loot was all about gear sets. I remember when I first saw the LON ring sets that allowed you to gear outside of armor and weapon sets, but it still felt weaker than going for full gear sets.

kqIw7aN.png

I'm looking forward to Path of Exile 2 when we no longer have to depend on gear holding our linked gems. I would have horrible stats on a body armor but think it was ok because it's the only 6 link I have. Anything below 5 or 6 link wasn't worth messing with.
Those rings were actually best in slot for several classes in many recent seasons.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
In a year all these things are going to be changed. Diablo, Destiny, Path of Exile, these games have all gone through multiple revisions and alterations to their stat systems and how things work, it's the nature of the beast and so far none of these games has come out perfect out the gate.

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I hope this means substantial single player post/end game content like the actual Diablo likes though.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a weirdly big thing on Era but like, there's a reason games that do "loot affects your appearance" (e.g see: the popular MMOs on the market atm) also tend to include a transmog system, whether at the start or because people never stop asking for one to be patched in.

Hence why even Destiny, the example that gets cited the most as a counterpoint, is finally adding in their own transmog system. As far as I can tell your average player just doesn't care for having to choose between looks and function/
Demand for transmog just means people do care about their character appearance and having different looks though...

GreyHand23

Apr 10, 2018
Actually what alot of people don't realize about Destiny is that Bungie wanted it to be more of an rpg and have more stats, but Activision didn't want it. That's why they started out with light levels and the gear having few stats that made little difference. It was an artificial system where the damage you took or put out had more to do with your light level in comparison to the enemy's then any of the gear you were wearing. After Bungie's split with Activision they introduced more stats. Stats are important because while they may not mean alot in early levels, as you progess towards higher levels, it gives devs more freedom to make gear more varied and have people choose what kind of playstyle they want. You can certainly play and have fun without messing with the gear much, but I imagine for raids and other really difficult content you will need to pay attention to how your gear synergizes and this is the kind of depth that keeps hardcore players playing.

OP
OP
Ploid 6.0

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Those rings were actually best in slot for several classes in many recent seasons.
I should download and hop back in. I bet one of the classes is crusader, those rings were great for that class.

D3 has such nice building tools and calculators (D3planner), that could really help you get so much out of a build you're going for down to the damage per second you'd do if you keep a buff going vs if you slack off. It would also show what you'd do if you fight a big group vs one boss.

Deleted member 29249

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Yeah but Anthem you could get a shotgun with sniper rifle perks on it! Lol

Wonder how much the stats will mater. In destiny I rarely feel a diffrence even when I try to max out stats.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I am ok with Stats but if their items are boring and make no interesting changes to combat/gameplay mechanics, then it means I won't be playing it long. Really need to check it out beforehand and figure out if they have nailed the loot loop correctly.

Oct 28, 2017
Of course it is. It's a AAA video game in 2020. Excessive loot, lots of menus and bloated RPG nonsense. This is modern AAA gaming.

ukas

Oct 25, 2017
As an aside is there a preload for the beta if you ordered it from PSN?

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
It was like this for Marvel Heroes too. This seems to be the nature of the beast with Marvel. They don't want some funky looking mismatched Ironman flying around.

There are definitely ways around this, but they just didn't want to do it :/
Upgrading the look of your character is a staple for many games and almost required for these types of games, if only for say ironman that would be different vents/visors/paint/covering pieces that all matched, or say widow, have like different boots/belts/buckle/attachments/backpack/guns/mask/hair on-top of the main uniform etc, spidey would be hard because it's like one suit but that goes with the character. Ah well.

Of course it is. It's a AAA video game in 2020. Excessive loot, lots of menus and bloated RPG nonsense. This is modern AAA gaming.

The trick is, is it going to be anything Anthem with "no meaningful loot" and a months to fix?
Heck in division did this, there were too many random chances meant for a lot of people you never really got what you wanted until they introduced systems to counter it, of which had to wait for their fucking second game to come out. oof.

Random is good, with a sprinkling of give me what I want.
Random is bad when it's always random.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
The more previews I read, the more I wish the avengers were just for story mode but mp was create a character where you chose an avenger class/archetype or a create a character was an option.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Upgrading the look of your character is a staple for many games and almost required for these types of games.

It's just not though. I played Marvel Heroes so much and when it came out I had the same thoughts you did but the disappointment I expected never really came to fruition. Meh it's a free beta give it a try. You might not be as hung up on this as you think you are.