• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
So, playing for an hour so far:

Subtractive Shading: Shading looks more like the original game, light-blending is a lot harsher.

Modulate Shading: Improved shading method, nicer to look at for a slightly more modern sheen.

Fixed-Point Geometry: When set to ON, will cause the Playstation 'wobbly textures' effect.

Z-Clip Emulation: Not a clue what this does, but keeping it OFF (Default) has no negative repercussions.

Steam FPS meter says I'm running at a fixed 144fps as expected.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Edward850 The enemies that shoot the blue projectiles seem to have no sound at all on PC. Nothing when they shoot, and nothing when their projectiles go by you or hit anything. Is it supposed to be that way?

futurevoid

Oct 25, 2017
God bless Nightdive for taking the time to do a well implemented CRT filter with some great options for configuration in that regard.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Feels great on PC from what I've played so far.

Hope we get another Digital Foundry retro on this since John loves the original so much.

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
Jumped into Pharaoh difficulty first because of the trophy and I was not expecting to die this quickly :p

Think I will just beat it on normal first but this feels great with out of the gate sensitivity, etc - I just upped the FOV a tad.

futurevoid

Oct 25, 2017
So are the levels based on saturn version?
It's an "ultimate" version of the game that combines the PSX and Saturn versions. A mix of Saturn and PSX level design, PSX enemies, etc. In the first level for example you get a mix of the Saturn red scorpions with the blue PSX scorpions. Best of both worlds, really.

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
Haha, just got lost and stuck again like in the old days. Have to remember again that a lot of level puzzle solutions early on are:
Yes, once you get the Sandals, you really CAN jump that far.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
Do the blue projectile shooting enemies (first enemies you meet that shoot) make any sounds on the console versions?

S1kkZ

Oct 27, 2017
switch version has some weird stutter issue: on a regular basis, the game will start to stutter. when you enter the graphics menu, change a setting and change it back again = its gone. its not performance related because it also stays gone with high res and a.filtering 16x.

Log!

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm curious: is it possible to emulate the controls of the PSX/Saturn versions of the game, or does it use a modern control scheme? I was thinking of plugging in my Retro-Bit Saturn controller and playing it that way for fun sometime.

So, playing for an hour so far:

Subtractive Shading: Shading looks more like the original game, light-blending is a lot harsher.

Modulate Shading: Improved shading method, nicer to look at for a slightly more modern sheen.

Fixed-Point Geometry: When set to ON, will cause the Playstation 'wobbly textures' effect.

Z-Clip Emulation: Not a clue what this does, but keeping it OFF (Default) has no negative repercussions.

Steam FPS meter says I'm running at a fixed 144fps as expected.

I think Z-Clip is supposed to emulate the affine texture warping of the console versions of the game. Look at the edges of the screen with Z-Clip on.

EDIT: It was also in the PSX version.

Last edited:

snakey2389

May 31, 2019
I know this is one of the few fps games with various different versions, are there any more fps games that have a completely different version from it's pc version?

jvm

Oct 27, 2017
I know this is one of the few fps games with various different versions, are there any more fps games that have a completely different version from it's pc version?
Saturn version of Quake by Lobotomy Software (original creators of Powerslave) includes four unique levels that were not (are not?) on any other platform.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
I know you probably meant 120fps, but... I want to believe...
No I do not. 1920 the peak interpolation framerate.
9f2d8971ff.png

switch version has some weird stutter issue: on a regular basis, the game will start to stutter. when you enter the graphics menu, change a setting and change it back again = its gone. its not performance related because it also stays gone with high res and a.filtering 16x.

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
@Edward850 The enemies that shoot the blue projectiles seem to have no sound at all on PC. Nothing when they shoot, and nothing when their projectiles go by you or hit anything. Is it supposed to be that way?
Their projectiles don't have an impact sound effect, which is apparently intentional. They do have a firing sound effect but we seem to be hearing it fine.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Congrats on the release Edward850 and team! This is loaded up and ready to go for me at home. I still remember the hype around the accomplishments of the Saturn version when it originally released so it's a real treat to play this love letter to both versions now

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
FYI:

Checkpoints are wiped if you quit the game. You'll need to start the entire level over again if you quit.

Log!

Oct 27, 2017
Dear Nightdive,

Please implement your CRT filter into all your games past & present, thank you.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hoping that mouse invert gets patched in soon. I can rearrange my brain but I'd rather not!

Looks like a great port otherwise, as usual. That CRT shader/filter is unreal. I want it in every game.

Log!

Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah, I posted it on the Steam forums already, but I notice a minor bug that the CRT filter doesn't affect the HUD. Don't know if that's intentional or not. You can see it in the CRT screenshot above.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
Any important differences between the versions? I'm leaning towards the PC version, so I can play both comfy couch style and portable on Steam Deck.

Edward850

Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
Oh yeah, I posted it on the Steam forums already, but I notice a minor bug that the CRT filter doesn't affect the HUD. Don't know if that's intentional or not. You can see it in the CRT screenshot above.
Not unsurprising. The HUD is likely being drawn in the same pass as the text, which for various reasons we leave out of the CRT stuff intentionally.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018

I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it is emulating affine texture warping, commonly seen on textures as they're leaving the boundries of the screen or at different angles.

Take a look at the wall to the left. This is "OFF" or with corrected textures
ppEobNW.jpg

This is with the Z-Clip "ON". The texture appears to not be mapped correctly and warped like PS1/Saturn hardware was known to do.
PuzcM6N.jpg

O3CkEB7.jpg

Metalmucil

Aug 17, 2019
Wait, this has a CRT filter built in? Sweet!

Please go back and patch that into your other games! (Looking at you Doom 64!)

Bastos

Oct 25, 2017
Not unsurprising. The HUD is likely being drawn in the same pass as the text, which for various reasons we leave out of the CRT stuff intentionally.
I'm also having low sound and the spiders and scorpions make a really low sound when they die, different than I remember.

I just watched some gameplays of the console version and the audio was fine compared to PC.

The sound is also low for the explosive balls you can shoot at.

Weird

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I'm also having low sound and the spiders and scorpions make a really low sound when they die, different than I remember.

I just watched some gameplays of the console version and the audio was fine compared to PC.

The sound is also low for the explosive balls you can shoot at.

Weird

Yeah the sound mix is really, really bad on PC

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
Decided to take one more crack at Pharaoh difficulty and this time the spiders and scorpions dropped a lot more weapon energy and I managed to finish it.

Having now obtained the first artifact I will be honest - this is not at all the structure I was expecting. I had seen screenshots of this game and a little gameplay in the past and I just assumed it was a standard level to level shooter. The last thing I expected was this!

I am liking this a lot and the soundtrack is fantastic.

Oct 25, 2017
Decided to take one more crack at Pharaoh difficulty and this time the spiders and scorpions dropped a lot more weapon energy and I managed to finish it.

Having now obtained the first artifact I will be honest - this is not at all the structure I was expecting. I had seen screenshots of this game and a little gameplay in the past and I just assumed it was a standard level to level shooter. The last thing I expected was this!

I am liking this a lot and the soundtrack is fantastic.

yeah the structure is like the big thing that makes the game dope. You actually need to use your brain and follow instructions as you explore, and the Metroidvania design here is really solid. Add to that the checkpoint system and general difficulty even on normal.

This game actually fucks hard.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017

Saturn version of Quake by Lobotomy Software (original creators of Powerslave) includes four unique levels that were not (are not?) on any other platform.

Quake 2 on N64 is a completely original game...or map set, if you prefer. Doom 64 as well, but I assume everyone knows that.

Nacery

Jul 11, 2018
Mar 31, 2018
Played a few hours on pc last night…really great so far.

For all you fans of unreasonably sized monitors like myself, this game supports 5120x1440 super ultrawide …and it looks awesome at that res.

Log!

Oct 27, 2017